Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount Gold plated C-Record overview

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 07:25 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey all,
You saw this bike briefly in my last video. I overview the bicycle and what I had to do with it so far. This bicycle is a lot of fun and needed a lot of work. Please check out my video and subscribe to my youtube Channel. Comments welcome. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for watching... Hit the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAka...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVIMG_20180324_150942.jpg (1.09 MB, 449 views)

Last edited by jjhabbs; 04-01-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 07:40 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Very well done video. Beautiful bike!!
Old 04-01-18, 07:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Yes, beyond gorgeous.

edit: I watched, no sound from where I am. What's the rear tire size?

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-01-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 08:28 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Yes, beyond gorgeous.

edit: I watched, no sound from where I am. What's the rear tire size?
Those are VeloFlex 700x23.

The brakes are adjustable up and down. When you move the brake you are moving the shoes...i moved the brake up. I can probably move them up another mil. if I want to.
Old 04-02-18, 04:08 PM
jjhabbs 

IF anyone has information on the group on this bike please let me know.

thanks
Old 04-02-18, 05:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nothing to offer on that group, but the video was nicely done. Subscribed to your channel also.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-03-18, 10:39 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Take a look at the last paragraph, wonder if maybe group was pulled from a Gardin Special Anniversary?

1983 GARDIN SPECIAL - INTRODUCTION
Old 04-03-18, 06:39 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
Take a look at the last paragraph, wonder if maybe group was pulled from a Gardin Special Anniversary?

1983 GARDIN SPECIAL - INTRODUCTION
Thanks. However I dont see any reference to the group on my bike. They talk about the Campy 50th group.but not my C record. I wonder how rare it is.

JJ
Old 04-04-18, 08:20 AM
St33lWh33ls

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Thanks. However I dont see any reference to the group on my bike. They talk about the Campy 50th group.but not my C record. I wonder how rare it is.

JJ
Your photo above shows what looks like a gold Campy Delta with a maple leaf and labeled “Gardin”. I don’t know if that has anything to do with the Campy 50th group, but it certainly does lead me to believe it has something to do with Gardin. Possibly a pull from a Gardin bike of that era because the gold matched the Paramount fork. I don’t know much about Campy or Gardin except what I read on that page. The page owner is a bike forum member so maybe a Gardin thread would shed some light on if Joe Gardin maybe liked Schwinn Paramounts and built one up with Gardin labeled parts.
Old 04-04-18, 08:27 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
A question about the 50th anniversary Paramounts... how many were built?

Another question, and possibly a topic for discussion, would be: how many are hanging on a wall vs. being ridden? One of the local shops has one of these frames, with gold fork, hanging on the wall and looking fabulous. The gold fork struck me as one of those things that indicates "not to be ridden".

I'm glad that Schwinn celebrated their history, but have to admit that I'm a bit saddened by the idea of a batch of hand crafted frames that won't be ridden.
edit: almost forgot to congratulate John for getting that Paramount on the road!!

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-04-18, 09:03 AM
St33lWh33ls

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Another question, and possibly a topic for discussion, would be: how many are hanging on a wall vs. being ridden? One of the local shops has one of these frames, with gold fork, hanging on the wall and looking fabulous. The gold fork struck me as one of those things that indicates "not to be ridden".

I'm glad that Schwinn celebrated their history, but have to admit that I'm a bit saddened by the idea of a batch of hand crafted frames that won't be ridden.
edit: almost forgot to congratulate John for getting that Paramount on the road!!

Steve in Peoria
They turn up on EBay every now and then, I would say from the ones I have seen about 75% were well used bikes. This one has definitely been used-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-SC...8AAOSwpP9Y74ds

Not sure how many were made, I believe there were anniversary models without the gold plated fork as well.

Last edited by St33lWh33ls; 04-04-18 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:32 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by St33lWh33ls
Your photo above shows what looks like a gold Campy Delta with a maple leaf and labeled “Gardin”. I don’t know if that has anything to do with the Campy 50th group, but it certainly does lead me to believe it has something to do with Gardin. Possibly a pull from a Gardin bike of that era because the gold matched the Paramount fork. I don’t know much about Campy or Gardin except what I read on that page. The page owner is a bike forum member so maybe a Gardin thread would shed some light on if Joe Gardin maybe liked Schwinn Paramounts and built one up with Gardin labeled parts.
I only referenced the 50th anniversary group because I thought you were referring to the "last paragraph" of the link you shared. The only thing I saw on that bike was the 50th ann. group. My mistake.

I know the builder of the bike. He did say he purchsed it from Canada and he built it himself. He didnt part out another bicycle. I was just trying to find out how common or uncommon this group was. Thanks for your response.
Old 04-04-18, 07:34 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
Hi Steve,
I heard that 600 Anniversary framesets were built. Not sure if that is accurate. yes many were ridden and put away wet. The forks are faded and of course the frames were scratched. I dont htink its a bad thing. many purchased these and put 50th Anniversary Campy groups on them then hung them on the wall. This was a wall hanger as well. Well, when i get this built back up it will be on the road for the first time. I will put gentle miles on the fox river path and wipe it with a diaper.. LOL
Old 04-05-18, 01:30 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
My LBS has one on the wall complete with wood rims. He had the spoke nipples gold plated and a spoke wrench plated as well so the plating on the nipples wouldn't get scratched during truing. For only 15 G's it can be yours. I wonder if he smokes crack in the back room after hours?
Jon
Old 11-13-18, 06:01 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Hi Steve,
I heard that 600 Anniversary framesets were built. Not sure if that is accurate. yes many were ridden and put away wet. The forks are faded and of course the frames were scratched. I dont htink its a bad thing. many purchased these and put 50th Anniversary Campy groups on them then hung them on the wall. This was a wall hanger as well. Well, when i get this built back up it will be on the road for the first time. I will put gentle miles on the fox river path and wipe it with a diaper.. LOL
That is correct on the number that were built as per Steve from Eddies Cycle of Bayonne NJ which is one of the last of the American Schwinn dealers that are no longer in existence.I was told that there were 600 made and only offered to Schwinn dealers as framesets.The frame was separate from the fork which was 24kt gold and came in a velour pouch.To replate the front fork cost an average $3,500 or better.The color choice was BLACK only but not just any black.It has gold flakes in the paint.
Old 11-13-18, 06:42 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by 7up

That is correct on the number that were built as per Steve from Eddies Cycle of Bayonne NJ which is one of the last of the American Schwinn dealers that are no longer in existence.I was told that there were 600 made and only offered to Schwinn dealers as framesets.The frame was separate from the fork which was 24kt gold and came in a velour pouch.To replate the front fork cost an average $3,500 or better.The color choice was BLACK only but not just any black.It has gold flakes in the paint.
Sounds like mine. However, I could of swore that I saw a red one with a gold fork at one time.

JJ
Old 11-13-18, 07:39 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Front brake shoes backwards?
Old 11-13-18, 07:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Please, hold the tomatoes. Some things, even machine things, are meant to be viewed, looked at, and respected in that way. This bike, since it is near perfect, and certainly unused, should not be ridden. It should remain on the wall as art, which it is.
Old 11-13-18, 08:27 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Sounds like mine. However, I could of swore that I saw a red one with a gold fork at one time.

JJ
For that year all Schwinn Paramounts had 50th Anniversary lettering but only the Black with gold metal flake paint and 24kt gold forks were the true 50th Anniversary frame-sets.Hey you never know there could be a red one.Ive read a few stories of cars that were ordered destroyed only to appear decades later because some bigwig in corporate decided to kill the project car or cars.lol
Old 11-14-18, 07:40 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Awesome! Subscribed to your channel. I'd much rather watch real people doing real stuff than the crap that's on TV these days.
Maybe we should start a thread for BFers to share their yootoob channels.
Link to mine down in my sig line.
Old 11-14-18, 12:46 PM
Uyle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Richard Cycle in Orange County, CA. has a similar bike on its wall. With 50th campy set, wooden rim with gold nipple. It’s so nice. The owner told me that it was borrowed to display for a week at Schwinn museum. He said it is one of 12 exists.