Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Cross country tour on a recumbent .

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 06:05 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I thought I'd share this here. May 11th my wife and I will start our meandering cross country tour from Clearwater, Florida to Vancouver island, B.C. My wife is on her surly LHT and I'll be on my 1997 Tour Easy. We've created a blog to document our trip , called Roaming with the Romers.

This will be our first long bike tour. If you've got any helpful advice I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-30-18, 06:25 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
She's going to be drafting behind you. Don't put a flag or a flag pole in her face. What kind of a tour are you doing? Loaded camping, or motel-to-motel?
Old 04-30-18, 06:41 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
She's going to be drafting behind you. Don't put a flag or a flag pole in her face. What kind of a tour are you doing? Loaded camping, or motel-to-motel?
We'll be camping, staying with warm showers hosts, and visiting friends and relatives.
Old 05-01-18, 08:01 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Check out this website https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=2126 It might inspire you. Sylvia came through Las Vegas a year or two ago in the winter on one of her coast to coast rides and we almost got the chance to meet. She might have some hints on how she dealt with unsupported tours.

If you rig up a flag properly, there is no way it would end up in your partner's face. You can't draft so close that the second person's face is over the top of your rear wheel, not on any recumbent I have ridden - two wheeled or three.
Old 05-01-18, 10:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Check out this website https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=2126 It might inspire you. Sylvia came through Las Vegas a year or two ago in the winter on one of her coast to coast rides and we almost got the chance to meet. She might have some hints on how she dealt with unsupported tours.

If you rig up a flag properly, there is no way it would end up in your partner's face. You can't draft so close that the second person's face is over the top of your rear wheel, not on any recumbent I have ridden - two wheeled or three.
Good advice!
Old 05-01-18, 07:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
C
The operative word being "properly." I've posted this before, because it's so common it's almost cliche. The guy is always oblivious to what he's doing to his wife or daughter. Raise the flag 3 inches for a bigger rear wheel, and the situation is pretty much the same: she'd get it in the eye instead of the neck.

Old 05-02-18, 04:55 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a short flag when I know I will be riding with other cyclists. That is until someone "lifted" my short flay while I was enjoying a coffee and pastry last Saturday. People?