Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Helmet -- Nice!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Helmet -- Nice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 08:10 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Old 08-15-18, 08:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I took a quarter-mile test ride yesterday to fix the flat I just fixed, without helmet. It felt so good it made me angry that I'm so strict with myself with wearing a helmet.
Welcome to the dark side. I often advocate taking some rides at least every once in awhile without the helmet, just to counter that feeling that the helmet is obligatory. Sometimes it comes from habit and routine.
Old 08-15-18, 01:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
My point is you don't have to go fast to get seriously hurt.
While that is true, it's not a compelling argument to wear a helmet all the time. Probability should be part of the equation.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-15-18, 03:59 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Dude, you live life in the Danger zone LOL
Old 08-15-18, 05:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Should you wear a helmet while riding on the highway to the danger zone?

Or wait to put it on when you actually arrive at the danger zone?
Old 08-15-18, 08:47 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Couldn't have like that movie "Million Dollar Baby"...she just fell down on the wooden stool...and it killed her.

My point is you don't have to go fast to get seriously hurt.
My wife just told me about a patient that came on to their ICU floor with severe head trauma and potential brain damage from test riding his friend's bike. Was just a little spin around the block and fell. It can happen anytime. They see a lot of bike related head injuries at her hospital.
Old 08-15-18, 10:26 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Well, My wife just came home to me and told me that they had a patient brought to the ICU with serious sever almost fatal head injury because the patient had rolled off the bed accidentally during sleep and had hit his forehead to the edge of the bed hard causing severe head injury and trauma and irreversible damage and now in vegetation state, so you guys please ALWAYS wear your bicycle helmet when going to bed. Right? Yes that's right, idiocracy going too far but no one can be too safe, always wear your helmet to bed
Old 08-16-18, 05:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'm impressed this thread is still open! (I haven't read many of the posts)

Riding without a helmet is wonderful, I do it often. But on my work commute were I'm on high speed roads with plenty of motor traffic I always wear one... not for protection in case of a fall, but because I find it to be a convenient place to mount my mirror, reflective tape, and sometimes a tail light. THOSE items I do feel actually help to prevent a wreck!
Old 08-16-18, 05:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, when I am without a helmet, I believe the biggest impact to my safety is I have no mirror, so it is hard to keep aware of whats coming up behind me.
Old 08-17-18, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I rode to work today on Citi Bike, and my wife is picking me up. From here, we're going to our weekend home. I normally keep a helmet at each home, and I didn't want to lug the helmet around all weekend and back to the city. My route is only on a MUP except for two very short distances, so it's safe. It was a nice break from the helmet. I think I'm too strict about wearing a helmet almost every time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-17-18, 11:28 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I recall from the video, she didn't even stick her arm out to brace the fall. It happen fast. You can't always fast enough to stick your arm out.
On an upright bike you've got a little bit more time and you have better angles to control the fall, but there's also the reflex to turn your skull away from the point of impact, which is really late in the fall. Of course it can happen, but it needs more than just a fall, some freak occurance that somehow slingshots the cyclist to the ground or something. I saw a video of a teen guy on an upright who got hit from the side by a car on a 20 mph road, and he ended up on his feet, with the bike still between his legs, and cycled off (it was his fault, he should have given his name and phone number).
Old 08-17-18, 11:44 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
Well, My wife just came home to me and told me that they had a patient brought to the ICU with serious sever almost fatal head injury because the patient had rolled off the bed accidentally during sleep and had hit his forehead to the edge of the bed hard causing severe head injury and trauma and irreversible damage and now in vegetation state, so you guys please ALWAYS wear your bicycle helmet when going to bed. Right? Yes that's right, idiocracy going too far but no one can be too safe, always wear your helmet to bed
I prefer the shower helmet with beer cozy.
Old 08-18-18, 01:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I forgot my helmet the other day on a nighttime run to the grocery store. I made it about a half mile before realizing that something was missing...and then determining what it was. I've been wearing a helmet since 2008, and it just didn't feel right.

I ended up going back home to get my helmet. I felt vulnerable, especially since my town is not known for attentive drivers or enforcing DUI laws. But the wind in my hair felt nice for that short mile.
Old 08-22-18, 10:38 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Another safety device besides helmet and as critical or more critical is safety glasses, small pebbles kicked by your front tires or a small bug getting into your eye would cause instant sudden short duration transient blindness while riding, it won't be a good situation, if this scenario does not cause more permanent damage to rider's eyes, I may not necessarily wear a helmet every time I am riding or on my commute but I always have quality sunglasses during the day or clear safety glasses in early morning ride to work when it is still dark ourside?
Old 08-22-18, 11:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

is that a question?

and is the period key on your keyboard broken?
Old 08-22-18, 12:17 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I used to only ride sans helmet when I was just "playing around" with my kids after work. I realized this is objectively dumb for two reasons -

1. Duh - poor role modeling for my kids

2. When I am messing around with my kids I am traveling a lower speeds and making more unplanned turns, etc. Overall, I am more focused on them than myself, for that reason, I am more likely to loose balance or hit something then when I am commuting (which for me is basically just pedaling in a straight line for 37 minutes)

Oh and 3 -

My family fun bike I has a more upright riding position than my commuter with drop bars. My head is therefore that much farther from the pavement and able to collide at a potentially higher velocity
Old 08-22-18, 12:23 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

My kids are all teenagers now, so I'm not worried (too much) about their unplanned turns. I tell them "You wear a helmet because it's the law. When you're 18 you can decide for yourself when you need a helmet"
Old 08-22-18, 01:01 PM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by davei1980
I used to only ride sans helmet when I was just "playing around" with my kids after work. I realized this is objectively dumb for two reasons -

1. Duh - poor role modeling for my kids
Why? They should learn that the can grow up to be a competent adult cyclist.

Oh and 3 -

My family fun bike I has a more upright riding position than my commuter with drop bars. My head is therefore that much farther from the pavement and able to collide at a potentially higher velocity
No, you've got more time and are in a better position to prevent a fall, and in case of a fall, hitting your head.
Old 08-22-18, 02:05 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Am I missing the link between not wearing a helmet and becoming a competent cyclist?
Old 08-22-18, 04:06 PM
Eds0123

No, that's not the point, I ride 12 miles on all very nice trails with nobody else on them to work and back most days, 99% of my ride, I don't see it necessary to wear a helmet, I think I am very safe, I don't want to deal with stinky helmet with sweat everyday. Then I get accused of not being smart and being careless. That's the point. Dutch people don't wear helmet and they are not dying everyday in droves,
Old 08-22-18, 06:29 PM
vdibi76

Bikes: 1989 Giant Chinook, 1996 Huffy Blades

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly surprised it took the op a few blocks to realize there wasn't any weight on his head holding down his soul
Old 08-23-18, 02:38 AM
Stadjer

Am I missing the link between not wearing a helmet and becoming a competent cyclist?
What I mean is that a competent adult cyclist can decide when to wear a helmet and when not. Judgement, about you own competence and other things, is a matter of maturity.

So what's wrong about telling your kids: "You're not there yet, you have to learn more before you can choose to ride without a helmet like me"? I see them sometimes with a helmet here in the Netherlands, appearantly Ducht people on Dutch bikes and they stand out because hardly anyone wears a helmet. But then it's a family with young kids, all with helmets. And I know this is the result of negotiating parenting, those kids didn't want to wear helmets, but the parents could only make them by saying 'we wear helmets too'. I'm not opposed to that kind of parenting in general, but why not bring skill, competence and maturity into the negotiation? The kids are not allowed to drive the family car either, a parent doesn't have to be a role model by not driving the car himself.

Originally Posted by Eds0123
No, that's not the point, I ride 12 miles on all very nice trails with nobody else on them to work and back most days, 99% of my ride, I don't see it necessary to wear a helmet, I think I am very safe, I don't want to deal with stinky helmet with sweat everyday. Then I get accused of not being smart and being careless. That's the point. Dutch people don't wear helmet and they are not dying everyday in droves,
Yes, but it is upright relatively slow cycling in a bike friendly environment. Most sports cyclists, as in drop bars and spandex to go fast, wear helmets these days. If your commute is like that, in a hostile environment, I can imagine you'd want to wear one. But a helmet can't make cycling safe, and cycling in general can and should be safe without, that's what the accusing people don't get.
Old 08-23-18, 08:27 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Stadjer
So what's wrong about telling your kids: "You're not there yet, you have to learn more before you can choose to ride without a helmet like me"?.
1. We have a helmet law here in Spokane

2. The risk vs. reward is like wearing a seatbelt. It doesn't make you one of the cool-kids or edgy to not wear one.

Comparisons to Holland are inappropriate because the cycling culture there is so much different - there are more bikes than cars. Here we live in the land of SUVs and lifted pickups who aren't always used to driving around bikes.

You're correct that a helmet is not a substitute for safe riding habits but it is a VERY MINOR inconvenience compared to a (no exaggeration) potentially life threatening head injury caused by a collision totally outside of the rider's control (eg - you can be the best, safest, slowest rider in the world and still get messed up)
Old 08-25-18, 06:23 AM
Stadjer

1. We have a helmet law here in Spokane

2. The risk vs. reward is like wearing a seatbelt. It doesn't make you one of the cool-kids or edgy to not wear one.

Comparisons to Holland are inappropriate because the cycling culture there is so much different - there are more bikes than cars. Here we live in the land of SUVs and lifted pickups who aren't always used to driving around bikes.

You're correct that a helmet is not a substitute for safe riding habits but it is a VERY MINOR inconvenience compared to a (no exaggeration) potentially life threatening head injury caused by a collision totally outside of the rider's control (eg - you can be the best, safest, slowest rider in the world and still get messed up)
The point I was trying to make was that imo there's nothing wrong with teaching kids that sometimes they have to learn certain things and prove their competence before they get certain liberties. Breaking the law isn't necessarily one of them. .

I know it's very different in America and most of the world from Holland and the rest of the Netherlands. But showing your kids that cycling is safe enough to ride without a helmet in some circumstances, and should be safe enough in many more circumstances, is a good thing imo. Let them at least imagine a world where the need to wear a helmet doesn't come with just cycling around the neighbourhood. I understand why people feel the need to wear helmets and want their kids to wear them and I respect that, but I don't believe that the next generation should get the idea that there can't be any cycling without a helmet.
Old 09-02-18, 02:25 AM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all jokes aside. As an American (DC area) that now lives in Northern Germany... I dont even own a helmet over here. But in DC, there was no money in the world that could be paid for me not to wear one.

I have no logical reason for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.