Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XLII

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 08:24 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Ouch, sounds cold. Aside from keeping your core warm, I need to keep my fingers at least only half-frozen or I can't do it. The thighs and crotch go into some sort of cryostatis but I can sort of tolerate that. Of course, we're talking low 30s and dry, not what you get to enjoy.
Old 10-14-18, 09:02 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Alright @expatbrit, here's the old-timey version of your bike: I swapped it out the trainer for my Pinarello (sacrilege!) and realized I need to really raise that saddle a lot! I don't know why it feels so stretched out, maybe I just need a different stem when I swap out the bars... which I happen to have laying around already anyway.

damn clean copy of the celeste beauty!! what year is it?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-14-18, 09:59 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Ouch, sounds cold. Aside from keeping your core warm, I need to keep my fingers at least only half-frozen or I can't do it. The thighs and crotch go into some sort of cryostatis but I can sort of tolerate that. Of course, we're talking low 30s and dry, not what you get to enjoy.
yeah. Me too. I failed in this. Core was ok with the Gore jacket. Fingers not so much. And it seems the knee that hit the car and that busted up hip don’t like the cold /at all/. Getting off the bike was ... tricky.

Usually, it’s dry dry dry here too. Just bad timing.
Old 10-15-18, 10:07 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
bar shape on the zipp carbon is NIIIICE, can't wait to get them mounted
I got mine on Friday. Ordered some Tangerine Lizard Skins (I had to hunt for them and got them from a company called Chain Reaction) and they are being shipped Royal Mail (?) I decided these bars will go on the Emonda. Still tempted to get second set to put on Domane
Old 10-15-18, 10:50 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

trick question will be, if they have enough stock and still running the sale by the time you get your bars mounted and get a decent ride on them.

You can also mount them to the bike and ride a mile or so w/o bar tape to see how the width feels. I'd imagine it would be be unless its rudely wrong, you will need a long ride to figure out the brifter angles and such
Old 10-15-18, 12:05 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

damn clean copy of the celeste beauty!! what year is it?
1992 I think. Was originally a 7 speed RX-100 drive train. I jammed ultegra 6500 in there in about 98 when I started riding again and then the shifters broke and I got a complete 105 drive train for about 350 from ribble (pbk?) last summer so I just did that.

Those are the wheels that came with my pinarello (note the branding on the tires) and except for a couple miles of test riding when I bought the Gan, I haven't used them. They basically keep the bike off the ground when it's not on the trainer. The reflectors are particularly useful inside.
Old 10-15-18, 12:20 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
trick question will be, if they have enough stock and still running the sale by the time you get your bars mounted and get a decent ride on them.

You can also mount them to the bike and ride a mile or so w/o bar tape to see how the width feels. I'd imagine it would be be unless its rudely wrong, you will need a long ride to figure out the brifter angles and such
I may try that w/o the tape to see how they feel.

I wish I knew for sure how my current bars were measured. I just know they are suppose to be 42. What is the typical measurement? o-o? or c-c?
Old 10-15-18, 02:40 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I usually go by C to C measurement.

if you measure you current bars, 16.54" = 42cm
Old 10-15-18, 02:59 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

crazy thoughts running though my head this past week. I haven't done diddliy squat endurance riding/training like I do early in the Yr for BWR. I usually take the summer off and chill. That's the case this yr. I commonly only have 1-2hr rides, other than the Pizza Port ride couple of weeks ago. That was 85miles on my singlespeed was my longest ride since July

Pickle is there is a 8hr or 24hr MTB race on Nov 3th. I've never ever done a 24hr race before......but damn that a LONG time. BWR takes me roughly 11hrs to pedal so will be like 2 BWRs w/ lack of training. Sounds horribly fun. https://www.socalendurance.net/24-hrs-of-socal.html

But I've been having an issue w/ leg cramps this yr, somewhere around the 8hr mark gets me. How to prevent/manage cramps when deep in the rabbit's hole of a long ride? Cramped bad at BWR this yr and also the 12hr MTB race a month later in June, around hour 7.

I still have 3 weeks left to get one more lighting system and get in some longer night rides. there is a 50 mile MTB race on the 28th I may do as a warm up. See how I do at that event and gauge how/what to do for the following week. QnD Filthy 50
Old 10-15-18, 03:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
you sound crazy to want to tackle "2 BWRs w/ lack of training", but fwiw a friend of mine swears by salt for cramping. He keeps little restaurant salt packets in his saddle bag, and downs one if he starts cramping. Says it works for him every time.
Old 10-15-18, 04:10 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I rode the Bass Lake double on Saturday and had a great time. https://www.strava.com/activities/1905572752

We enjoyed great cycling weather, beautiful scenery featuring lakes and forest, the best SAG support and volunteers I've ever seen on any ride, hot meals at breakfast and lunch featuring adobo chicken plus the usual fare, made new friends, got served tri-tip for dinner then we went for a few cold ones after the ride. Great day
Old 10-15-18, 04:19 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by RubeRad
you sound crazy to want to tackle "2 BWRs w/ lack of training", but fwiw a friend of mine swears by salt for cramping. He keeps little restaurant salt packets in his saddle bag, and downs one if he starts cramping. Says it works for him every time.
I'm good at dreaming
Old 10-15-18, 04:22 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Why wait until the cramps start? It would be easier to just open one of these in each water bottle and as you ingest water, you get your sodium, potassium, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Ele.../dp/B002IY96B0
Old 10-15-18, 05:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

true. Should be trying to manage electrolytes all along, but if that fails, consume emergency salt packet.
Old 10-15-18, 05:20 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I'll get a bottle of them salt pills and work them into my rides. and emergecy packets later in the day.

Last time I finished the proper 12hr race i went home and cooked 2 packs of top ramen + 4 eggs even though my wife made me steaks for midnight recovery meal. My body was craving Sodium really bad.
Old 10-15-18, 06:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Without being actively aware of it, I rode the exact same route on consecutive Fridays, on the same bike, in nearly the exact same time. Noting the exact same power number, I'm guessing the difference in average speed is... position on the bike? The ride from Oct. 5 was with the stubby Shimano PRO S-bend aerobars, which were swapped out in favor of a set of Redshift J-bend bars. The Redshift are a good bit longer, and apparently better suited to my orangutan arms (for point of reference, it is 12 1/4" from the top of my elbow to the knobby bone on my wrist.) If anyone ever considers aerobars, I think a noseless saddle is pretty much a requirement. I could not find an angle where a conventional saddle worked, at least not with my saddle-to-bar drop.

It's been a relatively expensive experiment, as far as my cheapness is concerned. The aerobar brackets needed longer bars, the position needed a new saddle, and the saddle needed a post with more setback. So I ended up changing a lot of stuff, all in the senseless pursuit of speed. Worse still, speed that isn't free. It's probably going to be 3-4 months before I really get used to the position. But at least I can get some miles in relatively quickly.

I applaud the consistency of the Garmin's barometer. It's wildly inaccurate, reporting 10% low on ascent on it's best days, and typically 20% low day-to-day. I guess I could manually do the elevation before every ride, but isn't that what the Strava Correct Elevation button is for?

Old 10-15-18, 06:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...all in the senseless pursuit of speed. Worse still, speed that isn't free...
LOL you'll never catch me in that pursuit, or wait, you WILL definitely catch me because I won't be riding that fast? You know what I mean!
Old 10-15-18, 07:58 PM
expatbrit

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I got mine on Friday. Ordered some Tangerine Lizard Skins (I had to hunt for them and got them from a company called Chain Reaction) and they are being shipped Royal Mail (?) I decided these bars will go on the Emonda. Still tempted to get second set to put on Domane
CRC are good, as is the Royal Mail. Just ordered another 11-30 cassette for my weaksauce legs to carry me up the tiny bumps around here. Mostly it's the same size as the existing, so the new wheels will not require chain-fu...
Old 10-15-18, 09:49 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by expatbrit
CRC are good, as is the Royal Mail.
Just got an 11-30 cassette for my wife and some new shift cables from CRC. Definitely good. And fast!

But I've been having an issue w/ leg cramps this yr, somewhere around the 8hr mark gets me. How to prevent/manage cramps when deep in the rabbit's hole of a long ride? Cramped bad at BWR this yr and also the 12hr MTB race a month later in June, around hour 7.
Cramps... I get 'em. And in my opinion, there is a lot of witchcraft and mumbo jumbo with respect to cramps but in the end, it's fitness. If you're in shape for the event, no cramp. No shape, cramp.

Odds are you're getting plenty of salt in your diet and yeah, I have the standard assortment of salt tabs, hammer endurolytes etc. They tend to work better when I'm in shape, if you know what I mean. Stay hydrated, get plenty of rest and be adequately trained.

I know you're going to do the lunatic thing and do that event anyway, so report back.
Old 10-15-18, 11:08 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I know you're going to do the lunatic thing and do that event anyway, so report back.

Likely correct... given I go Full Stupid.... Daylight Savings occurs while on the race course. so I'll see 2am twice and under the stars...given I make it that long into the night. Mandatory lights on the bike at 5:30 and sunrise is 6:09am that's a whooooooooooooooooooooole lot of darkness
Old 10-17-18, 06:51 PM
expatbrit

25mph gusting 50 (and likely worse in the canyon I usually ride), cold, and possible rain?

Rule #5 can go sod off somewhere -- hello turbo, hello Zwift, hello virtual tropical island.

Any idea where my HR compared to max should be on a 2x15 FTP; I think it's set a bit low from my last test?
Old 10-17-18, 07:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It should be at your LTHR, whatever that is.

I foolishly battled the wind yesterday-- well over two hours of just... misery. Sure, I had a sorta-decent tailwind-ish condition anytime I was heading due south, but that didn't come up very often. Let's see, I left the house at 8:30 and got home about 2:30...

My shoulders and neck are still dead from fighting to keep the bike upright. Absolutely brutal. My lips and nose got pretty well wind-chapped. The single digit humidity didn't help.
Old 10-17-18, 08:45 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

well good thing I took the slow singlespeed and didn't take the Pinarello on the pizza port ride. that 45mile commute home that week killed my wheel. I got the call from the LBS that the rim is cracked from the impact it took. Last large impact was back in Aug when I blew the side wall jumping the rail road tracks at 20some. Guess pushing massive watts to get home on that commute was the last straw

What to get next??? that one last 1 1/2 yrs lol

Old 10-17-18, 09:47 PM
expatbrit

Ouch!!! That’s gotta smart

Old 10-17-18, 11:26 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

it will make for some decent garage art

Maybe save up for some Hed Jet 5 or Reynolds 60s from performance. Iduno
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...lusive-50-4914

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...lusive-50-4876

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.