Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Brands or specific models that can hold an ogre and travel in a variety of terrain?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Brands or specific models that can hold an ogre and travel in a variety of terrain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 03:20 PM
Yagga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 6'5" and 370lbs (198cm and 168kg). I am a really big dude. I am looking to buy my first "big-boy" bike, but I am having trouble locating a bike that can support my height and weight. Finding a bike suitable for my height isn't actually that hard, but my weight is the primary limiting factor. One of my local bike shops actually said they do not supply any brands that could support my weight, so I will not go back there again (I have more bike shops I can go to).

I am here looking for recommend brands (or even specific models) to look at. I have but one requirement: I need a bike that can handle a variety of terrain. I live out in the country so not all roads are smooth pavement, sometimes the road has bumps and cracks. I will also be riding on gravel and smooth dirt roads. Maybe some light trails as well, but nothing as extreme as mountain biking. I am not concerned about price, so hit me with your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-18, 05:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You might be a candidate for DirtySixer. You said price is not an object, and that's a good thing-- they're not cheap.

An Allroad looks like it would be right up your alley.
Old 10-09-18, 05:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Money no object, at 6'5" I think DirtySixer would be a really cool option.

But also see if you can find a shop where you can test-ride an XL Surly Krampus or ECR29+. Or any other brand's "29-plus" bike, really.
Old 10-09-18, 10:45 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
2nd pretty much all above. Dirty Sixer would be right up your alley. Pretty much any metal framed 29er bike will take your weight. The wheels may be an issue for you, but MTB wheels are designed to take a beating. If you're just going to be doing road and path riding, then they should suit you just fine, just make sure they're checked regularly. Also a rigid front fork will possibly be a better option for you and your riding than a suspension fork.
Old 10-10-18, 07:29 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Home - Black Mountain Cycles

These bikes are stout, and Mike Varley will work with you on getting what you want and need. Must have been 50 emails back and forth.
He specs out each part based on your needs, not the price point, so no cheap parts to keep the price down. Still, around $2500 depending on options.

Wheels will be hand built, so if you want 36 spoke, or even 40 spoke Tandem wheels? He can build those for you.

The MCD (monster cross disc) I have can run up to a 50mm tire, which will soak up a lot of bumps. I do some significant offroading with bike, light Mountain biking and I have had zero issues with bent wheels.
Old 11-26-18, 05:23 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Since price is open a custom built bike will be ideal for you. The builder can use the beefiest tubes available, and you can choose components based on the type of riding you do. Wheels are the only components you need to have built to accommodate your weight but it is definitely possible to get some pretty bombproof ones made. Almost all custom builders will get components and assemble your bike. The downside of a custom is most well known builders have a wait list of several months, some longer. Find someone that has experience building bikes for big guys, you don't want the builder to learn/experiment on what it takes to make an excellent big guy bike on your frame.

good luck, Brian
Old 12-27-18, 07:07 PM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Another slightly more more economically thrifty option would be a good gravel bike. The Jamis Renegade series has two models with Reynolds 631 frames. They can handle tires out to 700x42 which will allow you lots of options for tire sizes/choices to match tires to the terrain. They are built with a slightly relaxed road bike geometry so they will still be fun to ride but will give you the ability to handle everything just short of mountain bike terrain.
Old 01-05-19, 04:56 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I picked up an older aluminum framed Specialized Hardrock Sport for an eBike project. What impressed me was how beefy the frame is in all respects. The rear triangle is reinforced near the drop-outs and the tubes are large hydroformed units. Lots of area where it's welded, etc. Mine is a large frame and it's plenty roomy. The area where the seat stays come up to teh seat tube is wide enough for at least 2.50 rear tire. There are tough wheels out there for cargo bikes, so that should not be an issue ...

I dumped the cheezy RST fork and replaced it with a Manitou R7 Elite air fork. That took 2 1/2 lbs off the bike and made it much livelier up front. More rider weight, just add more air

Should be able to find a used one around for less than $150, and modify as needed

I'm prolly into it about $600 before the ebike kit ...

Last edited by BrocLuno; 01-05-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 06:07 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Go to Surlyville and check out their Ogre, or ECR, or really any of their offerings which tickle your fancy. Their XL sized frames have guys your size in mind. You can go frame only, or complete bike on most everything they sell.

The most important advice I can offer is to avoid skimping on wheels. Whatever bike you buy, ditch the oem wheelset and replace with a quality, hand built set. Minimum specs for your size/weight would be 36 spoke front and 40 spoke rear. You might be able to make a 36 spoke rear work, but if you wanna play hard you take your chances.

No doubt there will be some who will claim you will be “just fine” on lower spoke count wheels, but that’s only because when they’re wrong it’s not them that will be left stranded. The simple truth is you’ve already stated “money is no object,” and obviously neither is weight, so strength and durability are paramount.

Go to Velocity and have them build you a set of Cliffhangers and wrap some quality fatties around them and you’ll be able to ride anywhere with confidence.

-Kedosto