Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me design my next build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 08:36 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello folks.

recently purchased a new frame and i want your help to design it.

give me your thoughts on every detail, what youd like to see, colour scheme, wheel type, handle bars etc etc.

ill take a look at the replies and pick out my favourites.

ive already sanded the frame down so atm its bare metal.

Old 10-23-18, 09:38 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Old 10-23-18, 10:33 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
This won’t go well, mate.
Old 10-23-18, 10:37 AM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
This won’t go well, mate.
What makes you say that?
Old 10-23-18, 02:09 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I think what everyone's saying is they'd rather help design your next build, not this one.
Old 10-23-18, 02:12 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
I think what everyone's saying is they'd rather help design your next build, not this one.
Frankly i dont see what the big deal is. This forum is just full of ********. If you dont like the topic or dont have any input.... Dont bother commenting.

Simple.
Old 10-23-18, 02:20 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

It’s not going well.
Old 10-23-18, 02:21 PM
seau grateau

Personally I just think it's annoying when people try to crowdsource a design consultation.
Old 10-23-18, 03:30 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Personally I just think it's annoying when people try to crowdsource a design consultation.

Old 10-23-18, 04:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I deleted my post. I'm sorry I started the whole thing.

Honestly, I would just plagiarize something off Pedalroom.

Find a similar bike that you like and go shopping.

-Tim-
Old 10-23-18, 07:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
+1

I like looking at other peoples bikes but most people can't afford my consulting fee.
Reminds me of the new version of the Italian Job where Edward Norton's character steals everyone's money and their ideas of how to spend it.

OP, did you really strip and sand a whole frame without having any idea what you wanted to do with it?
Old 10-23-18, 07:52 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
+1

I like looking at other peoples bikes but most people can't afford my consulting fee.
Reminds me of the new version of the Italian Job where Edward Norton's character steals everyone's money and their ideas of how to spend it.

OP, did you really strip and sand a whole frame without having any idea what you wanted to do with it?
No i know exactly what i want to do with it. But i forgot that in 2018 one cannot post a thread on a forum to spark conversation about custom bikes (on a bloody fixie bike forum, probably one of the most customised genre of cycling none the less) but instead gets hate out of no where from captain keyboard telling me it should go in the trash ��.... Which i now realise his posts have disappeared...

But hey **** me right for trying.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-23-18 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Do not bypass the forum censor
Old 10-23-18, 08:12 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by dayvurd
hello folks.

recently purchased a new frame and i want your help to design it.

give me your thoughts on every detail, what youd like to see, colour scheme, wheel type, handle bars etc etc.

ill take a look at the replies and pick out my favourites.

ive already sanded the frame down so atm its bare metal.
Uh... maybe reread your original post. What you wanted was for people to spend a lot of time going through every detail (which you couldn't seem to be bothered to post yourself) so you could sit back and say yay or nay - basically wasting their time. This sort of post asking people to invest a lot of creative energy is pretty common here and usually ends up with the OP never returning to the thread or rejecting the proffered ideas for one reason or the other.

Why don't you take the time to type out all the little details of what you would like to do and then people can comment on whether they think those are sound or not. Maybe they will have some helpful hints. That way you make the creative investment first.

As it is; you wanted to be able to sit back and judge their creative ideas for a bike they'll never build instead of having them judge your creative ideas. Wonder why they balked...

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-23-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 08:19 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh... maybe reread your original post. What you wanted was for people to spend a lot of time going through every detail (which you couldn't seem to be bothered to post yourself) so you could sit back and say yay or nay - basically wasting their time. This sort of post asking people to invest a lot of creative energy is pretty common here and usually ends up with the OP never returning to the thread or rejecting the proffered ideas for one reason or the other.

Why don't you take the time to type out all the little details of what you would like to do and then people can comment on whether they think those are sound or not. That way you make the creative investment first.
You know what, i actually give up. No matter what you do in this toxic forum people are either too high on their horse to offer a proper opinion or just a genuine a*ss.

I mean you literally just make it sound like a chore that im asking people to do. Take alot of time to go through every detail....it doesnt take long at all. Forums are a community, but it seems as though this one is just pure poison. It probably took you longer to edit my original post in bold than it would have to offer an opinion on a colour or weather i should go drops or bullhorns. Jesus.

And fyi, i know what i want to do with this bike. But i explained in a previous reply why i asked on here. But again f*ck me right? For trying to spark conversation
Old 10-23-18, 08:22 PM
seau grateau

Paint it red.
Old 10-23-18, 08:29 PM
Happy Feet

I was going to say red too!

If it's not a chore why don't you start the ball rolling? I'm interested in what your vision is (and btw, I strip and rebuild bare frames all the time).

A community is based on give and take. So far you want to take without offering anything yourself. I took the time to tell you why people react the way they do so that perhaps you could see what the issue was. Either you will - or you won't.
Old 10-23-18, 08:33 PM
ModeratedUser24102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to say red too!

If it's not a chore why don't you start the ball rolling? I'm interested in what your vision is (and btw, I strip and rebuild bare frames all the time).

A community is based on give and take. So far you want to take without offering anything yourself. I took the time to tell you why people react the way they do so that perhaps you could see what the issue was. Either you will - or you won't. Don't blame others for not sharing if you won't either - it's your bike not theirs.
You came late to the party. First of all there was replies to say it should just go in the trash. I mean that isnt needed. Im done now anyway, im fed up with the toxic negitive forum.

​​​​​​Thanks for the input but too little too late
Old 10-23-18, 08:38 PM
Happy Feet

Next time post a pic of the frame in question, some ideas as to your planned build or components and ask for specific input ie. I am painting the frame red, what colour bar tape and saddle should I use? If you paint a general picture of where you are wanting to go people will more likely be able to fine tune the details without listing all sorts of stuff that won't apply.
Old 10-24-18, 03:51 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

It didn’t go well.
Old 10-24-18, 10:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Wow this went south quickly.

I want you to design my bike.
You are all bleepity bleeps.
I have my own designs, fixie are like super custom and this place is toxic

Go Team Venture!

Anyway I am going to be nice for the rest of this post. If you want help ask for help but be nice and give us something. When you want us to design the whole thing for you for free on a bike that many would feel is a poor canvas and have no initial ideas it is frustrating to a lot of folks especially when you the OP won't accept criticism. If you want help with parts ask questions like "hey I have heard great things about X part do you think it would work with my build?" Asking people to just do things for you doesn't work well but asking for help and being reasonable about it but maybe doing a little searching around first might help. There are tons of people who have done dream bike threads and post your FG SS and other similar stuff to get inspiration from and then you have a better base to ask questions from.

But if you want to be a hater than C U later SK8er!
Old 10-24-18, 03:06 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Old 10-24-18, 03:39 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by nightfly
Winner!
Old 10-24-18, 04:01 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boohoo. My comment was deleted too hoo! I didn't say anything too grumpy, did I?
Old 10-24-18, 07:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I don't even know what to write on threads like this anymore. This one really did spiral out of control quickly. So many emotional responses over something so trivial.

I tend to agree with Scrod's opinion that the frame is trash, but I wasn't going to say that, because one man's trash is another's treasure. I have a bike or two that would probably be assessed as dumpster fodder by some folks here. Doesn't matter. I know what I like and what I can afford. I don't generally look to an online community for affirmation, because that's a risky proposition. I can show my bike to my mother if I want to hear only that it looks great and whatever I decide to do with it will surely turn out wonderful.

OP: Remember that you explicitly asked for strangers' opinions. Did you think those would all be favorable?

Scrod is an equal opportunity insulter. He wasn't just being rude to you; he's rude to everyone. He's also very knowledgeable and experienced. You'd be wise to not take offense at his comments, but rather to ask yourself, "Self, if that guy thinks my bike frame is garbage, what are the chances he's right? Am I wasting my money in building it?" It's like the time Homer Simpson spontaneously shouted an insult at Ned Flanders, just for fun...

Homer: Hey, Flanders, you stink!

Ned: Oh, guess I better cancel the dinner party. Thanks for the nose news, neighbor!

We don't know if Ned actually changed his dinner plans, but either way, he won that little exchange. A person can only insult you if you allow it. Put another way, regardless of a speaker's intent, it's up to the hearer to take offense or not.

I'll add two more things. Seamuis's comments are the most objectively true in this entire thread. And I concur that red is a good color for this or any bike.
Old 10-25-18, 11:04 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts

Last edited by REDMASTA; 10-25-18 at 11:30 AM.