Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

VeloNews: The Science of Being Seen... Now What?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

VeloNews: The Science of Being Seen... Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 07:13 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
humans have increased perceptual sensitivity to human movement.
Somewhat germane...although this probably constitutes thread-drift: Among the other fascinating things I've learned studying cognitive science is that 1) humans are also predisposed (hardwired genetically) to react unfavorably to looming objects ...so keep that in mind next time you lean over the crib to admire a newborn; and 2) humans -- along with most mammals -- are also predisposed (hardwired genetically) to have increased perceptual sensitivity to bilateral symmetry ...we can pick out a face more easily than a profile.

None of that will necessarily keep you safe on a bike though.
Old 10-25-18, 08:05 AM
Jasper Storm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm definitely a convert to front illumination in daylight hours.

When I'm out riding on the road I use a Light and Motion 650 (bright enough, but not "rave party strobe-like") on my bars set to "pulse." I can tell when an indecisive motorist probably would have turned across my path had there not been that "little extra" visibility. This isn't frequent, as motorists are fairly accustomed to seeing bicycles where I am. When it does, I'm glad to have spent the extra $60.

I run the old-reliable 2xAAA Planet Bike Superflash on the rear. Plenty visible in daylight .

I dress in a fairly subdued kit in good weather and black Castelli wear in cold rain/winter rides, preferring to let the lights do the talking.

I have teammates who wear Velotoze fluo booties and gloves during the winter. The look good as color accents and the rotating motion of the booties really stands out. I'll probably do the same.
Old 10-25-18, 10:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
1) humans are also predisposed (hardwired genetically) to react unfavorably to looming objects
Like when you see a Ford Excursion bearing down on you in your helmet-mounted rear view mirror.
Old 10-25-18, 10:19 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
hi vis socks/shoes ftw.
+1
Old 10-25-18, 01:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
This is my theory of being safe on city streets - With a headlamp on, I will look directly at cross-traffic and shake my head. Otherwise, your puny little light just gets lost among all the other light sources on the road. A shaking light will get noticed, and usually stumps them long enough as they try to figure out what you are, that you can get by them before they realize it and try to make that right turn.
I do this with my bar-mounted light but that is much less effective. Still ... motion catches attention ... or at least, has a better chance.

I have seen studies where a pedal reflector is the most attention-getting device, because ( I assume) it moves and looks unlike anything else on the road.

Flashing lights are easy to see, but it is easier for a driver to judge distance off a steady light---however if the motorist doesn't See the steady light---doesn't register it---then it makes no difference.

I use one or sometimes two flashing tail lights because if I can catch a driver's attention. s/he can find me in his/her headlights.

As other note, if the driver ignores you, it doesn't matter what you wear or what lights you use. And let us recall ... cars drive into other cars.
Old 10-26-18, 06:17 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
OK, then just focusing on the driver: collection of data on bike versus motorist shows what?

The type of road, the hour of the day, the type of intoxication of the driver, the age of the driver, the history of the driver, etc.

If we knew which roads, what time of day, maybe a ride will be safer just by avoidance?

That might mean we all start gravel riding, at least sometimes when the high risk driver is around. Why? We can't have our cake and eat it too.
Old 10-26-18, 06:41 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
If we knew which roads, what time of day, maybe a ride will be safer just by avoidance?

That might mean we all start gravel riding, at least sometimes when the high risk driver is around.
So iow, the terrorists have already won.
Old 10-26-18, 01:43 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Humans are hunters - our eyes catch movement.
Indeed. Frequently my eyes catch things that are bouncing up and down.
Old 10-27-18, 05:31 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
So iow, the terrorists have already won.
What does high risk drivers have to do with terrorists? Even a 70 year old driver has different reaction times than when that same driver was 25 years old.
Old 10-27-18, 12:38 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
What does high risk drivers have to do with terrorists?
I'm guessing you didn't read the news -- or the internet -- ~20 years ago. Post 9/11 "The terrorists have already won" was a common meme in response to the notion that we should be forced to alter our behaviors because of the actions of others.
Old 10-27-18, 02:27 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Indeed. Frequently my eyes catch things that are bouncing up and down.
I do as well. It often causes distraction and that can be hazardous.
Old 10-27-18, 02:45 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
I do as well. It often causes distraction and that can be hazardous.
Yer darn tootin'. I feel like I'm a victim!
Old 10-27-18, 03:31 PM
wayne310

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i used to mount my phone on handlebar, i would switch on its flashlight while headlight is on. it would illuminate the bikes front fork and tire underneath...makes u illuminate and be more visible to cars.
but looking for a dedicated light that does the trick....its good to have bikes frame little illuminated for lateral visibility.
Old 10-27-18, 05:15 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't read the news -- or the internet -- ~20 years ago. Post 9/11 "The terrorists have already won" was a common meme in response to the notion that we should be forced to alter our behaviors because of the actions of others.
Plus spend TONS $$ as well.
Old 10-27-18, 05:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I was using ankle/calf lights 40 years before biolighting existed. It works - far better than any other lighting system because 1) it is moving and 2) it is moving in a way that nothing else out there does, Nothing. Bright flashing lights? There are harmless stationary sawhorses and the like with those lights. All construction sites. Emergency vehicles. Joggers Make them so bright drivers cannot avoid seeing them and they turn their head to preserve their vision until they are past you. (I've done that as a driver and I hate those lights when I an approaching from behind on my bike or just got passed.)

Ben
Old 10-27-18, 05:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Can't find it now, but some study told the importance of continuing to pedal, and quickly, when going thru intersections. Not for speed, but rather to show motorists that you weren't slowing down or intending to turn or stop.
Fixed gear with reflective ankle strap/light for the safety win!
Old 10-27-18, 09:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
These visibility threads remind me of google results 10 years ago, when the first page of hits for global warming would be climate science denier websites.

FYI, unlit riders, wearing whatever clothing, are almost completely invisible when shaded by trees, etc. in bright sunlight, especially considering that drivers will be wearing sunglasses. Your defense is stupid simple: bright flashing lights front and back. In front, I run a 250 lumen flasher pointed straight ahead. In back, I run a 400 lumen Dinotte, pointed slightly down so that it casts a bright red oval on the road surface about 10' behind me. I've met drivers who've passed me at restaurants or gas stations and had them thank me for my lighting arrangement. Of course I also wear hi-viz tops and socks. I have a couple of those Slaplit LED ankle bracelets ordered. They sound like a very good idea.

The common ill-pointed cheap flashers with low batteries don't do crap to save you. They're worthless. I strongly recommend USB lights for the usual day rides because you'll always start out with them charged and they stay the same brightness all day. Dinotte has the best mounting systems I've seen so far.

At night, I run a steady lamp and a flasher in back and similar in front. On night group rides, I turn the flashers off when riding with others.
Old 10-29-18, 07:35 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
FYI, unlit riders, wearing whatever clothing, are almost completely invisible when shaded by trees, etc. in bright sunlight, especially considering that drivers will be wearing sunglasses. Your defense is stupid simple: bright flashing lights front and back.
I think I get what you're saying, because it's something that just popped into my head the other day while riding along in broad daylight: We can argue about whether flashing lights are better than solid (non-flashing) lights, about whether red is better than orange, whether biomotion is better than non-moving, yadda-yadda-yadda...but the bottom line is BEING NOTICED is better than NOT BEING NOTICED.

So the first line of defense should inarguably be, get noticed. Then you can worry about hair-splitting.
Old 10-29-18, 11:36 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If I attend the theatre and there will be a scene which uses strong lighting effects there will be a sign on the door warning me. The ticket taker inside the door will alert me to this fact. There will be an alert in the printed program. And before the curtain goes up the house manager will come out to the footlights and give a further and very explicit warning. If the production uses actual strobe lights all these warnings will be more emphatic.

Anyone who wants to hang a strobe on their bike and blind me is completely free to do so. No warnings. In daytime I will often have to pull over because of the oncoming strobes. At night I can no longer ride bike routes, the program is look for side streets with no bike traffic at all. When there's a sea of flashing lights ahead do you really think there is any road user who processes all the information? If modest flashing lights were something that happened one instance at a time there might be some positive effect. What is happening instead is mere chaos. The level and type of lighting cyclists want to use is not making anyone safe.

It is midday. The sun is shining. It is bright and clear outside. I am about to go for a ride. And am fairly certain I will make at least one sudden stop and close my eyes to protect them from the onslaught of strobe. Sixty years of cycling for me so far and you guys want to end it.
Old 10-29-18, 11:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
If I attend the theatre and there will be a scene which uses strong lighting effects there will be a sign on the door warning me. The ticket taker inside the door will alert me to this fact. There will be an alert in the printed program. And before the curtain goes up the house manager will come out to the footlights and give a further and very explicit warning. If the production uses actual strobe lights all these warnings will be more emphatic.

Anyone who wants to hang a strobe on their bike and blind me is completely free to do so. No warnings. In daytime I will often have to pull over because of the oncoming strobes. At night I can no longer ride bike routes, the program is look for side streets with no bike traffic at all. When there's a sea of flashing lights ahead do you really think there is any road user who processes all the information? If modest flashing lights were something that happened one instance at a time there might be some positive effect. What is happening instead is mere chaos. The level and type of lighting cyclists want to use is not making anyone safe.

It is midday. The sun is shining. It is bright and clear outside. I am about to go for a ride. And am fairly certain I will make at least one sudden stop and close my eyes to protect them from the onslaught of strobe. Sixty years of cycling for me so far and you guys want to end it.
My leg lights I used for 30 years would never have troubled your eyes. Your post might get me back to wearing one. (I stopped because my body is aging and becoming more sensitive, especially in areas with old crash injuries, to the banging of the light; a real issue riding downhill on fix gears - but also a place where visibility-wise, they are without peer. This will take research - for the light, the strap around my leg and the padding I need but it can be done. Thanks!

I used to ride down hills at night that I now take different routes to avoid in real part because I no longer use a leg light. The best flasher in the world just marks me as another PITA Portland cyclist to be passed at first opportunity. Fix gears with leg lights going 35 mph downhill don't get passed. Ever. (Saying that means it will happen. Sorry, But not often.)

Ben
Old 10-29-18, 12:16 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Thank you 79pmooney. Leg lights are great. Pedal reflectors are great. Strong lights not aimed into road users eyes are great. Now off to ride.
Old 10-29-18, 02:36 PM
boswellbear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I recall, Germany (with probably the most studied bicycle lighting regulations in the universe) outlaws flashing bicycle lights. Perhaps a few of you, who are so certain flashing lights are just absolutely the safest, might want to find out why the Germans have such a law.
Old 10-29-18, 02:51 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by boswellbear
As I recall, Germany (with probably the most studied bicycle lighting regulations in the universe) outlaws flashing bicycle lights. Perhaps a few of you, who are so certain flashing lights are just absolutely the safest, might want to find out why the Germans have such a law.
Why is right turn on red outlawed in Germany?
Old 10-29-18, 03:14 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
As a driver I see more people out riding their bikes or walking and they have no lights (even though it is illegal to ride a bike without) and they are dressed in black. Makes them nearly invisible. Many times I only see them if another car comes up behind them.
I got the battery operated christmas lights and wrapped my frame for night riding along with the front and aft lights. Then to make myself even more visible I got party lights made for your bike. Not only do I light myself up but the ground around me dances with light. I am sure when cars see me (I see a few slow down about 1/4 mile from me) they are thinking what is that? I got them on Amazon and they are called Crusin brightz. They also make other kinds of lights for your bike. I also have reflective things on the bike and person. In the winter our bike rides start at 5:30 so its all in the dark, I try to wear bright colors to catch the eye.
Old 10-29-18, 08:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Like when you see a Ford Excursion bearing down on you in your helmet-mounted rear view mirror.
With me it was an 18-wheeler coming down a hill behind me as we were both approaching a very narrow bridge with no where for a bicycle to go if the truck didn't slow down. I saw in my rear view mirror that the truck was NOT slowing down at all and was now quite close. I pulled onto the soft shoulder and had a heck of a time keeping the bicycle under control when the tires bit into the soft shoulder. I was doing almost 60 kph (40 mph) when that incident occurred. Now it'd be even worse because the shoulders are gone and there's now curb there.

I REALLY like using either a helmet mounted mirror or an eyeglass mounted mirror because I can see both the road ahead and behind at the same time.

I don't yet use daytime lights because I don't see a need for them where I live. Most lights I've seen are NOT bright enough to be seen in bright light. The ones that you can see in bright light at a distance greater than what bright coloured clothing would be visible in daylight cost a LOT here.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.