Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Brake Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 02:58 AM
Tronzambony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Help!

I need a new front brake for my fixed gear, have usually just used random stuff that i or friends have laying around.
I want to get something new! I was looking at tektro r540 or shimano 105s anyone have any suggestions.
I barley use the front brake but want for a just in case moment.
Old 11-02-18, 06:39 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Double check how much reach you need - it'll depend on your fork. Both those calipers are short reach, meaning a distance somewhere around 40-50mm from the mounting hole to the pad. That's typical for road forks and track forks drilled for a brake, but if your fork has more tire clearance you might need a medium- or long-reach brake.
Old 11-02-18, 07:50 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
There are two things that matter here: Reach and clearence.

What brake are you currently using? What size tires are you using? Either one of those choices would be fine. I would personally go with the shimano over the tektro, but you can’t go wrong with either. There’s likely not a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. So maybe go for whichever one is cheaper cost? Just make sure the brake you choose will fit before spending money. Without knowing which version of 105 brake you’re talking about, I can’t directly compare the two, to say yes or no, on if they will both work or not.
Old 11-02-18, 07:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Shimano brakes are great IME. If you don't mind spending a little more coin, get some used Dura Ace 7800 brakes on ebay. They're the best!
Old 11-02-18, 08:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
My choice for rim brakes is now going to be pretty much nothing but the eeBrakes from Cane Creek but if I were doing the budget thing 105 isn't so bad, just get some good pads (I like SwissStop) and some good cables and housing (Jagwire Elite Link is now my go to) and that can really upgrade your brakes without a lot of cost.
Old 11-02-18, 10:21 AM
Tronzambony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
There are two things that matter here: Reach and clearence.

What brake are you currently using? What size tires are you using? Either one of those choices would be fine. I would personally go with the shimano over the tektro, but you can’t go wrong with either. There’s likely not a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. So maybe go for whichever one is cheaper cost? Just make sure the brake you choose will fit before spending money. Without knowing which version of 105 brake you’re talking about, I can’t directly compare the two, to say yes or no, on if they will both work or not.
I am currently using a old brake from one of my friends old state bikes. Right now 700x23 but possibly going to get bigger tires soon. Should I go ahead and measure or is there a brake that is right down the middle cause I don’t plan on going bigger then a 28inch tire.
Old 11-02-18, 08:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep your eyes open for something at Bike Recyclery.

COMPONENTS - Brakes - Road Caliper Brakes - Bike Recyclery

-Tim-
Old 11-03-18, 04:02 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tronzambony

I am currently using a old brake from one of my friends old state bikes. Right now 700x23 but possibly going to get bigger tires soon. Should I go ahead and measure or is there a brake that is right down the middle cause I don’t plan on going bigger then a 28inch tire.
its actually somewhat complicated. The first bit, would be does the brake you choose have enough side (width) clearance, between the brake arms. I’m sure the tektro would. I can’t say for certain about the shimano, because again I don’t know which 105 version you’re talking about. but if I had to guess, I would say it could clear a 28.

the second bit is reach. This is where the length of your fork blades and the placement of the brake mounting hole come into play. The longer the reach you need to line the pads up on the rim, the more clearence (height) you will have for larger tires. The shorter the reach, the less room. Another way around this would be to convert to a smaller diameter wheel, which would increase the reach, and with it the size of tire that can fit. (See what I’m talking about here?)

you can directly compare your current brake to whatever brake you’re considering. That could help establish wether or not your tire will fit. If you’re likely to go to 28 at some point, then you should make sure the brake can clear that size.
Having a set of callipers, would come in very handy for this. The reason being, is that the actual width and height of your tire is completely dependent upon the inner width of your rim and the actual true size of the tire you choose. There’s no way to know these until you have it mounted and aired up.

nobody can really give you a definitive on what will or won’t work without measurements, or at least good photos of your current setup, where we could likely eyeball it. If your current brake looks like it has a lot of side and top clearence, and your new brake is similar, you might be good to go. That’s about the best I can do you with what info I’ve got.