Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Owners . . . any solution for the dreaded seatpost slippage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMC Owners . . . any solution for the dreaded seatpost slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 05:28 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
FB, I know you are a pretty sharp guy and you are stuck with this bike...oh I am sure its a nice bike...BMC makes good road bikes. But the engineers that created that albatross should be taken behind the woodshed and horse whipped. What a bunch of a-holes. I am an engineer btw. When an engineer creates a design like this, they know 'all of the nuances' What you describe which btw, makes perfect sense should NEVER have been created. Grounds for selling the bike and never buying another BMC product. That is really f-ed up. Adjusting seat height, have the saddle stay in place, torque to a target torque of 5 Nm and it staying there should be intrinsic to the design. Whatta PITA. Just had to vent feeling your frustration. Designs get out there that are total BS and this is one of them.
Agreed that this is a terrible and completely unnecessary design. The last few years, it seems that most bike manufacturers have felt the need to introduce meaningless "innovations" that are a lot more trouble than they're worth. My LBS recounted a few current issues by different manufacturers and most of the problems I had not heard of online -- so the absence of complaints online doesn't mean a design works. (Of course, a few of them have been discussed and debated ad nauseum on this forum and others.) The current trend toward recessed / hidden seatpost clamps is a HUGE problem across three manufacturers, including BMC. (Would it be inappropriate to mention the name Specialized here? When Specialized's clamp messes up, the pieces fall down inside the frame and are very hard to fish out.) As for BMC, it's baffling to me that they haven't fixed this issue. They've been selling RoadMachines with this design for at least three years -- and TeamMachines for two. I don't know that it's a universal issue, but it's certainly not isolated. Why alienate racers and high-end customers over multiple production years? It's not good business. They need to create a fix -- even if it's an ugly external clamp -- and I'm going to tell them so.

But will I sell the SLR01? Probably not. It's just about the perfect road bike. It's light. It handles perfectly. It's stiff where you want it to be stiff. And it's an incredibly comfortable ride. The seatpost clamp is a major problem. If it had a conventional seatpost clamp and a T47 bottom bracket, it would be the perfect bike.
Old 11-09-18, 11:03 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by arizonamed
This thread reminds me of the old Notorious BIG song “Mo Money, Mo Problems.”
I heard the founder of BMC likes to say that it stands for Bring Me Cash...
Old 11-10-18, 08:37 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I heard the founder of BMC likes to say that it stands for Bring Me Cash...
The founder of BMC is dead. Do you troll much?
Old 11-10-18, 11:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
There are some track frames with this issue also. Katrina Vogel had hers slip in the middle of match sprint. She still won, but it seems kind of ridiculous.
Old 11-10-18, 11:46 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Agreed that this is a terrible and completely unnecessary design. The last few years, it seems that most bike manufacturers have felt the need to introduce meaningless "innovations" that are a lot more trouble than they're worth. My LBS recounted a few current issues by different manufacturers and most of the problems I had not heard of online -- so the absence of complaints online doesn't mean a design works. (Of course, a few of them have been discussed and debated ad nauseum on this forum and others.) The current trend toward recessed / hidden seatpost clamps is a HUGE problem across three manufacturers, including BMC. (Would it be inappropriate to mention the name Specialized here? When Specialized's clamp messes up, the pieces fall down inside the frame and are very hard to fish out.) As for BMC, it's baffling to me that they haven't fixed this issue. They've been selling RoadMachines with this design for at least three years -- and TeamMachines for two. I don't know that it's a universal issue, but it's certainly not isolated. Why alienate racers and high-end customers over multiple production years? It's not good business. They need to create a fix -- even if it's an ugly external clamp -- and I'm going to tell them so.

But will I sell the SLR01? Probably not. It's just about the perfect road bike. It's light. It handles perfectly. It's stiff where you want it to be stiff. And it's an incredibly comfortable ride. The seatpost clamp is a major problem. If it had a conventional seatpost clamp and a T47 bottom bracket, it would be the perfect bike.
At the velodrome, aero really matters a lot, so you see aero posts on a lot of the bikes. Riders feel disadvantaged if they are not riding the most aero bike. The elite World Cup riders also have mechanics, so that don’t have to constantly check the Bolt 😂
Old 11-10-18, 02:28 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
No, I don't. That's what I heard. Maybe it's crap, or maybe it just needs to be amended to the past tense.
Old 11-10-18, 06:00 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If you look at the cross sections of BMC bikes showing the carbon lay up quality, is it really surprising that they have a seat post clamp that doesn't work well?
Old 11-11-18, 09:10 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
If you look at the cross sections of BMC bikes showing the carbon lay up quality, is it really surprising that they have a seat post clamp that doesn't work well?
Not quite how it works. Design isn't a monolith. Designs are a mosaic. One highly evolved aspect of design...like carbon lay up doesn't necessarily transfer to another facet of the bike frame design like bottom bracket, headset or seat post design. High probability the group of engineers responsible for optimizing the layup and even developing the frame shape with CAE are not the same engineers that developed the seat clamp design. As mentioned a lot of hidden seat post designs...the latest BS trend to save 1 watt at speeds most don't ride anyway can really taint bike ownership experience, not unlike BB. Truthfully Specialized and Trek has egg on its face keeping a saddle in place including crappy 1 bolt saddle clamp.

Take away is, choose your bike carefully for 'gotchas'. They are out there sadly.
Design is so highly nuanced, there maybe some deluded enough to believe the post design is great because its light, aero and saves a watt. Oh, darn, the fact that is won't hold the post in place is only a minor inconvenience. 3 out of 4 ain't bad right? Dumb$h!ts.

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-11-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 10:25 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
FB, I know you are a pretty sharp guy and you are stuck with this bike...oh I am sure its a nice bike...BMC makes good road bikes. But the engineers that created that albatross should be taken behind the woodshed and horse whipped. What a bunch of a-holes. I am an engineer btw. When an engineer creates a design like this, they know 'all of the nuances' What you describe which btw, makes perfect sense should NEVER have been created. Grounds for selling the bike and never buying another BMC product. That is really f-ed up. Adjusting seat height, have the saddle stay in place, torque to a target torque of 5 Nm and it staying there should be intrinsic to the design. Whatta PITA. Just had to vent feeling your frustration. Designs get out there that are total BS and this is one of them.
This is the way I feel about those stupid Trek 1-bolt seat mast toppers. Yeah, they're light. But getting your seat where you want it and having it *stay* there is a nightmare. A total PITA.
Old 11-11-18, 11:06 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

This is the way I feel about those stupid Trek 1-bolt seat mast toppers. Yeah, they're light. But getting your seat where you want it and having it *stay* there is a nightmare. A total PITA.
Trek has such talent but their seatposts suck almost as much as their bottom brackets or perhaps a bit more.
Needless.
Old 11-11-18, 03:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Take away is, choose your bike carefully for 'gotchas'. They are out there sadly.
Design is so highly nuanced, there maybe some deluded enough to believe the post design is great because its light, aero and saves a watt. Oh, darn, the fact that is won't hold the post in place is only a minor inconvenience. 3 out of 4 ain't bad right? Dumb$h!ts.
Agree, what I find unfortunate as at least pertains with BMC, is I believe they extended this aero/watt-saving wunderclamp system also to their 2nd tier CF bikes (the Road/Teammachine 02 line). Typically in the past I think you could hope to avoid some of this kind of nonsense by going down one step to "value" proposition tier.
Old 11-12-18, 02:48 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

The BMC hidden seatpost clamp (and the Specialized and other imitators) are not recessed for aero purposes -- there is no quantifiable aero disadvantage to a conventional clamp. It's pretty well hidden, aerodynamically. The idea behind these clamps is that, by clamping the seatpost farther down (leaving more of it sticking out of the frame), they allow the seatpost to flex more. More flex leads to a more comfortable ride. It works -- but it's not worth it. Plus, it's obviously an aesthetic thing -- there's no denying that they look very clean.

In recent years, it seems that almost all the manufacturers have run off the rails at some point or another. Their marketing departments (and, to some extent, their bean counters) have taken control of their "design innovations." Innovation that makes a positive functional contribution is a wonderful thing. But "innovation" that's functionally inferior ought to be called out.
Old 11-15-18, 01:58 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
When did Bob Bigelow die? Was that recent?
Old 11-15-18, 04:31 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by softreset
When did Bob Bigelow die? Was that recent?
Bob Bigelow founded the bike assembler and distributor known as Bob Bigelow Mountain Company (BMC). Andy Rihs founded BMC (Bicycle Manufacturing Company) and started designing and manufacturing road bikes a year after he took over the Bob Bigelow operation. Andy Rihs was the founder of the company now known as BMC.
Old 11-15-18, 05:08 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Bob Bigelow founded the bike assembler and distributor known as Bob Bigelow Mountain Company (BMC). Andy Rihs founded BMC (Bicycle Manufacturing Company) and started designing and manufacturing road bikes a year after he took over the Bob Bigelow operation. Andy Rihs was the founder of the company now known as BMC.
Weird, I've never spoken with anyone that associates Andy Rihs as being the founder of BMC, including several staff at the offices in Switzerland. Owner, yes. But not founder.

Learn something new everyday, I guess.
Old 11-16-18, 06:28 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Agree, what I find unfortunate as at least pertains with BMC, is I believe they extended this aero/watt-saving wunderclamp system also to their 2nd tier CF bikes (the Road/Teammachine 02 line). Typically in the past I think you could hope to avoid some of this kind of nonsense by going down one step to "value" proposition tier.
In bold is spot on. They are selling the 'allure' of speed. What some are willing to pay for it and at what level of inconvenience when practicality gets compromised for almost no benefit. Perception.
Old 11-16-18, 06:30 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The BMC hidden seatpost clamp (and the Specialized and other imitators) are not recessed for aero purposes -- there is no quantifiable aero disadvantage to a conventional clamp. It's pretty well hidden, aerodynamically. The idea behind these clamps is that, by clamping the seatpost farther down (leaving more of it sticking out of the frame), they allow the seatpost to flex more. More flex leads to a more comfortable ride. It works -- but it's not worth it. Plus, it's obviously an aesthetic thing -- there's no denying that they look very clean.

In recent years, it seems that almost all the manufacturers have run off the rails at some point or another. Their marketing departments (and, to some extent, their bean counters) have taken control of their "design innovations." Innovation that makes a positive functional contribution is a wonderful thing. But "innovation" that's functionally inferior ought to be called out.
Well said as usual. Where is the common sense check? Greed is a powerful motivator. Design overreach you have to live with every day.
Old 11-16-18, 08:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Threads like this one make me appreciate the old fashioned design features of my bikes. Sometimes innovation is not worth the added inconvenience.
Old 11-16-18, 08:21 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Threads like this one make me appreciate the old fashioned design features of my bikes. Sometimes innovation is not worth the added inconvenience.
My personal view is don't have to have a baby with the bathwater buying philosophy when it comes to bikes. Don't have to ride an old fashioned bike to get modern performance that is reliable. Problem is, you have really be into this stuff to see the forest through the trees. Uber light and stiff and compliant road bikes exist that are utterly reliable taking advantage of modern tech. Bottom line is many of the elite bikes have some serious tradeoffs...because the feathered edge of nth degree high performance has tradeoffs...but not so much only slightly down the pecking order for almost the same performance.
Old 11-16-18, 09:39 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My personal view is don't have to have a baby with the bathwater buying philosophy when it comes to bikes. Don't have to ride an old fashioned bike to get modern performance that is reliable. Problem is, you have really be into this stuff to see the forest through the trees. Uber light and stiff and compliant road bikes exist that are utterly reliable taking advantage of modern tech. Bottom line is many of the elite bikes have some serious tradeoffs...because the feathered edge of nth degree high performance has tradeoffs...but not so much only slightly down the pecking order for almost the same performance.
These bikes are easily worked on and tricked out by pro tour mechanics. If something does not work or breaks it is not a problem. For the consumer, not so easy. And I told people that. Stuff breaks and sometimes maybe an engineer thought this was a good way to save a couple grams. If a pro team does not like something they figure it out. The retail person wants warranty or some other relief. Thus the problem of buying that stuff.
Old 11-16-18, 11:06 PM
Maaku

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both a 2015 TeamMachine 01 (aluminum collar style clamp) and 2017 RaceMachine 02 (hidden wedge-bolt clamp) and the seatpost slips on both bikes despite torquing the bolt to suggested ratings and applying a lot of carbon paste. I find that I either have to tighten the bolts a little above the torque rating or resetting the seat height after every ride. Very frustrating on otherwise good machines. It certainly detracts from the riding experience when I have to be hyper-aware of every hole on the road and I stand on the pedals slightly to reduce the weight on the saddle if I have to go over large bumps (so it won't slip.)
Old 11-17-18, 08:47 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Maaku
I have both a 2015 TeamMachine 01 (aluminum collar style clamp) and 2017 RaceMachine 02 (hidden wedge-bolt clamp) and the seatpost slips on both bikes despite torquing the bolt to suggested ratings and applying a lot of carbon paste.
I'm surprised you have the problem with your 2015 TeamMachine. I had one and I never had any problems. That one can probably be fixed by a good LBS. It's not inherent to the design. (But that clamp bolt is made of something only slightly harder than butter, I think.)
Old 11-17-18, 04:50 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Mine is a 2014 with the D-shaped post. I think they recommend 3.5 nm or whatever. I sent BMC a msg and they said to toque it to 5-5.5. I did and the problem went away. I do use carbon assembly paste
Old 06-14-19, 12:29 AM
hdg111

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem. What I did was to put a piece of 2 sided sandpaper between seatpost and clamp. It helps, but you can never be sure it lasts. You need to renew this paper on a regular base before it starts slipping. Hope this helps. (Used it in combination with some carbon paste (not on the sandpaper))
Hans
Old 12-31-19, 02:35 AM
damoryan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the same issue now on a recently purchased 2019 Teammachine SLR 01. Did you get any definitive solution ultimately?

Last edited by damoryan; 12-31-19 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.