Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maximum Irony Achieved

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maximum Irony Achieved

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 09:49 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I have bad memories of those old Campy brakes.
Really? I was hoping it was either the pads, the rims, or the cables. Whatever it is, the braking is scary bad right now. I actually walked down a couple of steep hills because they were so weak.

I do have a set of Potenza brakes I could put on there. Maybe that with a Racing T drivetrain. I hate to give up the Synchro indexed shifting though. I was actually pretty impressed with how well that worked.
Old 11-12-18, 10:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

Really? I was hoping it was either the pads, the rims, or the cables. Whatever it is, the braking is scary bad right now. I actually walked down a couple of steep hills because they were so weak.

I do have a set of Potenza brakes I could put on there. Maybe that with a Racing T drivetrain. I hate to give up the Synchro indexed shifting though. I was actually pretty impressed with how well that worked.
New pads will certainly improve braking, so will new cables.

My Bottecchia was originally equipped with Campy DT Synchro indexed shifting. I loved them.
Old 11-12-18, 11:05 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Andy, I like the monoplanars, have them on several bikes and they are capable of locking up the wheels, so less hand effort is what you get from double pivot. I think more power just makes it easier to lock up, and once you're in a skid, what then?

The Campy switch to double pivot brakes plus the monoplanar migration through the years from Chorus all the way down to Mirage made them available NOS and in VG used condition at bargain prices for a while, so it was a no brainer back in the early 2000's, when I built my bikes.

New pads will make a big difference and there are better pads available now than when they were new. Don
Old 11-12-18, 11:18 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
That’s a really neat bike. Congrats on the cool score! I always liked the red polka dot look, but not being much of a climber myself, I’d be out of place in a KOM Jersey. That bike on the other hand, I’d be glad to ride.

Do keep working on those brakes. They’re not always ineffective. I have those same Chorus monoplaners on my Look and they stop well. I can easily lock up the rear, and I’m using original pads. Try sanding off a little with a file to expose some fresh rubber. And double check the quick release at the lever isn’t open. Mine tend to stop better when adjusted fairly close to the rims (though they look fairly close already in the photos).

Old 11-12-18, 11:30 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
That bike makes me smile, Andy. Love it!
Old 11-12-18, 11:35 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Hey, the decal says "King of the Mountain", not 'King Of Riding Up The Mountain'!
Old 11-12-18, 11:51 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Dig!

Kool Stop inserts will transform those brakes. Have them on a Viner of which work excellent even while scrubbing scrubbing GP4 anodized brake walled rims.

Found this stock image Serotta 'JOM'
Old 11-12-18, 12:14 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Found this stock image Serotta 'JOM'
Yeah, that's the one from the Paceline forum post I linked. Apparently the owner was having it refinished by Serotta and, like me, wasn't entirely comfortable with the KoM designation so he had them change it up a bit. Near as I can tell that one started life identical to mine.
Old 11-12-18, 12:20 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I think it's original. I've found evidence of at least one other, described in this Paceline thread: https://thepaceline.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117821

The dots appear to be decals, but they're under a sort of sparkly clear coat that covers the entire bike and also the stem. The other thing I should have pictured is the rear stays. It has "S-bend" chainstays. Supposedly this makes it stiffer. I think that also may be part of the "Colorado Concept."

I actually thought about you while I was out riding it today. I didn't push it much because the brakes are barely functional (almost hit a couple walking their dogs because of that), but the first time I went up a hill I definitely noticed the response. I don't know if that was the Colorado Concept doing its job or the new bike euphoria doing its job. Either way, it reminded me of the way you described your Casati (and my brief parking lot experience with it). You'll have to come down and try this sometime and see what you think. The 24T cog on the freewheel might not be to your liking, but I'm sure I can find a corn cob to put on there for you.

As for the gearing, if I put a 14-28T freewheel on it, it will match what's on my Gios. I've got a plan to keep riding on that until I can handle at least moderate hills. I want to test the theory that I'm weak because I never push a big gear. I suspect that I'll find that I'm weak because I'm too old to build new muscle, but you never know until you try.
Interesting info. I found a reference - also from the Paceline forum - regarding a guy who was getting a "two-tone King of the Mountain" paint job at Serotta. He specifically used the term "refinish"; his post was from 2008 and quoted the price at $1400. So it sounds like the polka dot concept was from Serotta and not some whimsical approach to a respray by an owner.

Today I am beginning to enjoy 24 and even 26t cogs out back. My knees appreciate them, too

Too old to build new muscle? Is that a thing - because if it is, I'd not heard that before. Maybe that's why I don't necessarily get stronger, just faster, with accumulated miles.

Lastly, those brakes will work perfectly well if they're set up correctly and the pads are supple. I run them on my Davidson with the Ergo 8-speed and have never had a problem with braking. While not dual-pivots, they still have better modulation than the older Record calipers.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 11-12-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:29 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Hey, the decal says "King of the Mountain", not 'King Of Riding Up The Mountain'!

It also says "mountain" not "mountains." I just need to figure out which mountain I am king of. Perhaps Col d'Kaylor as @gugie suggests. I picture a scenario like a couple of years ago when Taylor Phinney went out in a breakaway on stage 2 and got the KoM jersey for a day. He led a group of four riders over two cat 4 climbs and went on to finish 146th on the stage but got the polka dot jersey at the end of the day. I think I could manage the recreational group ride equivalent of that.
Old 11-12-18, 12:44 PM
Andy_K 

Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me to keep working on the current brakes. I think I'll replace the pads first then the cables and eventually the rims if nothing else works. All those things need to be done eventually anyway and everything but the rims will be cheap. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the monoplaner design, but given that people used to choose Deltas over these I had a lingering doubt. I guess some people just don't like stopping.

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Andy, I like the monoplanars, have them on several bikes and they are capable of locking up the wheels, so less hand effort is what you get from double pivot. I think more power just makes it easier to lock up, and once you're in a skid, what then?
I generally come down on the "less hand effort" side of this argument. I understand that maximum braking power is generally limited by tire traction. I feel like I can modulate better with a lighter touch. That said, I have been satisfied with single pivot Nuovo Record brakes, so it sounds like I ought to be able to make these work. I really don't think I can lock the wheels with things set up as I have them now though. I did sand off the surface of the pads and made an attempt to clean the rims. That didn't help much. New pads will probably make a bigger difference.
Old 11-12-18, 12:59 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
That looks really fun, I also will be trying out the monoplaner brake and just bought new pads.

Now you need the polka dot shirt and hat.
Old 11-12-18, 02:25 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Now you need the polka dot shirt and hat.
I dare not violate Rule 16.

I would note, however, that no one even mentions the world championship stripes on my LeMond or Stella. Perhaps it's because those are slightly more subtle.
Old 11-12-18, 02:30 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
It's actually even more unusual than that. The seat tube and down tube are tapered. They're both 28.6 at the top but around 36 mm at the bottom bracket. I believe this is standard for Serottas of this period (~1987). If I understand correctly, this is the "Colorado Concept" tubing that is (I think) unique to Serottas.
Probably a good chance Dave Kirk built the frame

Old 11-12-18, 02:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
I would note that Rick Smith of Yehuda Moon fame anticipated the precise problem I have with this bike.

I will not be buying the jersey.
don't work with the friends you have, one will probably show up

Old 11-12-18, 04:46 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
I would note that Rick Smith of Yehuda Moon fame anticipated the precise problem I have with this bike.

I'll buy one if it is magenta/pink with white dots.

Announcing to the world that I'll be the last one up.

(I'm over 250 pounds. Hillclimbs of any duration are NOT my friend.)
Old 11-12-18, 04:55 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My (Schwinn) King of the Mountain(s) mountain bike is red, white, and blue (see signature), perfect for national holidays.

On a road bike with a 42T inner ring up front, I like a 26T large cog in back for hills. The very common 52-42/14-16-18-21-24 combination is a bit too tall for me.

On the subject of Campag. brakes, I have early-generation sidepulls on my Bianchi. They were terrifyingly ineffective with Shimano pads and long-reach Modolo brake levers, but they work well with KoolStops and Shimano (I know, no style points on an Italian bike) aero brake levers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-12-18, 05:02 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I was a mechanic, high end assembler, and occasional salesperson at a Serotta dealer from @'88 to 2000. The quality of those bikes is impeccable, yours may have been custom ordered because the CSI (custom option lugged frames) were sometimes hybrids of fillet and lugged construction when needed to get the customer's needed geometry. Often the main triangle joints were what some builders call "bi-laminate"--one socket cut off the lug and replaced with a fillet. The builders who did that neat **** were Kelly Bedford and Dave Kirk. Lueky you!! You could lower the gearing by changing the crankset and leaving the rear shifting alone--the friction downtime shifter is omnivorous, it'll work with any crankset you want it to work with.
Old 11-12-18, 05:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
If you are planning to overhaul it at some point, please share a pic of the BB shell mitering. Just looking at this pic of the shell without sockets makes me drool with anticipation regarding what the joint looks like from the inside

DD
Old 11-12-18, 05:44 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
If you are planning to overhaul it at some point, please share a pic of the BB shell mitering. Just looking at this pic of the shell without sockets makes me drool with anticipation regarding what the joint looks like from the inside
I'm pretty curious about that myself. It's got a cartridge bottom bracket that's spinning smoothly, so I don't really have a compelling reason to take it apart at this point but I might do so anyway just to see what's in there.
Old 11-12-18, 07:58 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts

I bet you killed it on the down!:

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 11-13-18, 11:40 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
No offense to anyone here, but I would venture to guess that many of us are incapable of giving our bikes the full measure of what they were built for. Certainly true of me.
I would look at that as an exceptional bike with a really cool paint job, and enjoy the heck out of it.
That said, your thread title made me laugh.
Old 11-13-18, 12:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
No offense to anyone here, but I would venture to guess that many of us are incapable of giving our bikes the full measure of what they were built for. Certainly true of me.
I would look at that as an exceptional bike with a really cool paint job, and enjoy the heck out of it.
That said, your thread title made me laugh.
+1, you and me both.

Now a 77-78 KZ 1000 at the dragstrip, that's another story.
Old 11-13-18, 12:52 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Way cool! Great acquisition.
Old 11-13-18, 01:39 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by due ruote
This is a good perspective. I have no problem riding bikes in vintage team colors. This one makes me feel silly because it's so conspicuous, but I've never been the sort of person to let feeling silly keep me from enjoying a bike ride anyway.

I'm definitely enjoying this one. I'm often impatient about getting a bike on the road and so usually throw together parts bin builds to try it out. Recently I've been a bit more patient about that. In fact, I've got a Raleigh Competition on my workstand right now that I bought almost two months ago and haven't ridden yet. Not so with the Serotta. The day I brought it home I leveled the saddle, put on fresh tires, sanded the brake pads a little, and took it out for a ride. I didn't even have to change the saddle height.