Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting for a few weeks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 02:10 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

I retired from my daily commuting job in June of 2010. Since then my bike work commute has been relegated to mid November till xmas. I deliver the local Salvation Army Bell Ringers to their stations in the morning. My commute is just shy of six miles on a bike path, quiet town streets and a little bit on city streets in New Bedford, MA. I have to say that it's really a joy to ride my bike into the city daily. It kind of gives me a euphoric rush. Also it gets me on my bike on early winter mornings when I would normally stay in my pj's for a couple more hours.

Whenever I think about my corporate working days, the only thing I miss is the bike commute. The mornings not so much, but the evening commute was a joy. Especially when I hit the rush hour traffic and I was the fastest one.
Old 11-13-18, 04:14 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Nice post. 9 more years and I should be able to post something similar.
Old 11-13-18, 04:22 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
right back at you.
Old 11-14-18, 06:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
I retired from my daily commuting job in June of 2010. Since then my bike work commute has been relegated to mid November till xmas. I deliver the local Salvation Army Bell Ringers to their stations in the morning.

My commute is just shy of six miles on a bike path, quiet town streets and a little bit on city streets in New Bedford, MA.I have to say that it's really a joy to ride my bike into the city daily. It kind of gives me a euphoric rush. Also it gets me on my bike on early winter mornings when I would normally stay in my pj's for a couple more hours.

Whenever I think about my corporate working days, the only thing I miss is the bike commute. The mornings not so much, but the evening commute was a joy. Especially when I hit the rush hour traffic and I was the fastest one.
Originally Posted by joelcool
Nice post. 9 more years and I should be able to post something similar.
Hi @capejohn,

As fellow residents of Mass, we have exchanged some pleasantries in the past:
It's good to see your still commuting and still talking about it here.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for the note, @capejohn, presumably in regard to my accident in 2012. How are you?...

I don't remember your accident in 2012, I may have missed it, but am happy to see things getting back to normal for you.

I very seldom visit the commuter section since retiring in June of O 10 and seeing someone (you) from those days was the reason for my note. Now to find, chipcom.
I do recall we had a couple (friendly) exchanges in the good old days, well before the accident, and I recall your avatar, as well as your location in Fairhaven, MA. I think a colleague has a summer place there…

Funny you should mention @chipcom. I have previously wondered about him too. Back on 7/28/14, I posted this reply to your thread, Chipcom on the Commuting Forum.

And on 11/19/15 I posted to this Road Cycling Forum, "Gone but not forgotten."
I definitely can relate to your current thread about cycle-commuting in the City, including the Winter.
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I like that.
but,
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-14-18 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 06:51 AM
capejohn

p.s. I do most of my forum activity at bikejournal.com. I usually post videos of bike events I work as a videographer or simply bring my camera on group rides. Below is a video of a fundraiser I did in the spring.
Click Here
Old 11-14-18, 12:06 PM
capejohn

Annually this time of year, I volunteer to drive the Salvation Army Bell Ringers to their destinations. I like to ride my bike the six miles to the office. It’s usually my introduction to winter riding. CLICK HERE for the rest of the story.