Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Old 09-18-06, 11:30 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
My long term survival. I was on Oxygen, as well as many meds, just to stay alive. The biggest accomplishment to me was going from a wheelchair in March 2005 to riding a 167 mile 1 day ride this year. My long term goals include Lotoja.
Quick addition: I still, if I suddenly catch my reflection in a door or mirror unexpectedly, turn around to see who's behind me and then realize that it's me!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 09-21-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 11:49 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit the 300 mark around Christmas last year. Scared me a bit! By April, I was down to 275. I've been flutuating a bit around 285 these days, but plan to start riding more this Fall.

My short term goal is to be at 265 by Christmas and then mid term goal under 240 by Summer '07, and long term goal of 215 by Christmas '07.

My biggest weakness is drinking sodas (especially Mt. Dews).

I can give up sodas for a couple months at a time drinking nothing but water, but then I'll have one and I'm back to drinking up to 2 liters a day again!

Any advice on how to give up the one thing that keeps you heavy?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-18-06, 11:54 AM
epix1718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice AK, Romanian?
yup, 2003 SAR-1.. just had 100 rounds go through it this weekend
Old 09-18-06, 11:55 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
I hit the 300 mark around Christmas last year. Scared me a bit! By April, I was down to 275. I've been flutuating a bit around 285 these days, but plan to start riding more this Fall.

My short term goal is to be at 265 by Christmas and then mid term goal under 240 by Summer '07, and long term goal of 215 by Christmas '07.

I can give up sodas for a couple months at a time drinking nothing but water, but then I'll have one and I'm back to drinking up to 2 liters a day again!

Doable! O don't see any problem with those goals!

Old 09-18-06, 12:01 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by epix1718
yup, 2003 SAR-1.. just had 100 rounds go through it this weekend
Mine is a 1955 with all original armory marks. The only mod is semiauto only bolt assembly.
Automat Kalashnikova-47

Old 09-18-06, 12:49 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Try diet soda? Allow yourself to have a few a week, but keep track and take something else away. I use fitday.com to see what some of this stuff actually costs me; usually is enough for me to put it down!

I accidentally broke myself of my soda habit when I got food poisoning (bad Mexican) after drinking Dr. Pepper - couldn't drink the stuff afterwards for a long time!

My addiction is food. All kinds. Sigh....

Great job y'll!

I hit about 280 in April which was almost an all time high. Started biking, I'm down to about 260 +-2 and can't seem to drop below (since July). Pants and shirts are looser but can't get past that hump. Would like to be down to 220 before the year's end but I'll have to push that back.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-18-06, 01:43 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, I don't like Diet drinks, I've drank them in the past, but if I'm going to do a Diet soda, I'd rather just drink water.

Drinking water is difficult for many, but I drink a lot of H20, wether or not I'm on a diet.

Secondly, Diet sodas have so much sodium in them, I feel bloated after drinking them. I've read that drinking Diet sodas will actually make you retain water.

My problem isn't drinking water, it's NOT drinking mt. dews. The combination of sugar and caffein has me hooked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-18-06, 02:38 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, I don't like Diet drinks, I've drank them in the past, but if I'm going to do a Diet soda, I'd rather just drink water.

Drinking water is difficult for many, but I drink a lot of H20, wether or not I'm on a diet.

Secondly, Diet sodas have so much sodium in them, I feel bloated after drinking them. I've read that drinking Diet sodas will actually make you retain water.

My problem isn't drinking water, it's NOT drinking mt. dews. The combination of sugar and caffein has me hooked.
Diet Rite has no sodium.

Figure out how many calories in the bottle of soda. Figure out how far you have to ride at what speed to burn those calories and then before you have the soda -- earn it.

Also, if regluar soda is such an issue for you... don't have 2 liter bottles in your house. Keep one 12 oz can in the fridge. If you "have to" have a soda... it is there.
Old 09-18-06, 02:44 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at about 350 pounds with a 48" waist one year ago.

I did the Cabbage Soup Diet for 10 days then started Weight Watchers. In March I started training for my first century. I did that in May.

Now I am a comfy 42" waist and down to 260 pounds.

I've put about 2,000 miles on my road bike. Finished my second organized century and routinely ride long distances for fun.
Old 09-18-06, 02:48 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
Inside me is a thin man dying to get out.
(He is kept comfortable by some pie, a half case of Bud, two cheese-dogs and a big screen Sony.).
Funny...LoL....Keep up the good work Hambone or are you done trying to lose weight? Sounds like you are pretty happy with where you are now......
Old 09-18-06, 03:54 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Hambone are you done trying to lose weight? Sounds like you are pretty happy with where you are now......<snip>
Thanks. I'm pleased with how far I have come but I have another fifty (or more) to go.

I'm 6'1" and all torso. (29" inseam) I'm the prototypical Teutonic farmer. So, 200 is about as low as I see myself getting.
Old 09-19-06, 09:33 AM
rthomse

Bikes: Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm motovated now! I lost 72.2 at weight watchers.Have 45 lbs to go.
Old 09-19-06, 02:50 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only before picture I have is a newspaper photo of me acting as a terrorist in a mass casualty drill with local law enforcement. Would be an interesting before picture, me being led away bloody and in handcuffs by several armed officers in biohazard gear. ANY after picture would be an improvement. I'll see if the paper will let me use it. Highest weight, 287, current, 221, going to a weekend retreat at Richard Simmon's studio with my wife next month, going on Richard's radio show with my wife this Sunday, and over 3000 miles ridden since Jan 1.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 09-19-06, 02:56 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Keep us updated!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-19-06, 03:54 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was at about 350 pounds...one year ago...Now I am a comfy 42" waist and down to 260 pounds. I've put about 2,000 miles on my road bike. Finished my second organized century and routinely ride long distances for fun.
You're my HERO, Hambone! Wish I could do the same! I'm working toward my first century. I had hoped to do it this Fall, but a bicycle accident in June ( https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510 ) kept me from riding most of the Summer. I'm now shooting for ASAP - maybe in the Spring? I'll be doing the ride on my Specialized Rockhopper MTB with street slicks. Any diet or training suggestions you'd be willing to pass on? Thanks!
Old 09-19-06, 04:05 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
You're my HERO, Hambone! Wish I could do the same! I'm working toward my first century. I had hoped to do it this Fall, but a bicycle accident in June ( https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510 ) kept me from riding most of the Summer. I'm now shooting for ASAP - maybe in the Spring? I'll be doing the ride on my Specialized Rockhopper MTB with street slicks. Any diet or training suggestions you'd be willing to pass on? Thanks!
I have to go get the kids. I'll post more tomorrow. In a nutshell:

I did the cabbage soup diet and learned how much less I needed to eat than I was eating.

Then my wife and I did Weight Watchers. It sound strite but if you both want to do it and you do it together it is almost easy.

Biggest thing: Unlike my father who did it at twenty one -- I waited until I was in my thirties to start having kids. Then I saw how much my dad loves being with them and how much they love being with him.

At 350+, I wasn't going to get that. It isn't much more complicated than that. Partially it is about being there for my kids. (Partially it is about being there for me.)
Old 09-20-06, 11:05 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6' 4". I started riding at 270 and now weigh 200.

I rode more and more as I built up my aerobic and LT and just stopped eating crap food.

Now I stand in front of the mirror and admire myself. LOL.

No pics, sorry.
Old 09-20-06, 03:04 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My before and now... After is still a while down the road.my old belt.jpg

<edit, I enlarged but it didn't "stick" That is my old belt with a knife stuck in the old hole and a knife in the new hole...>
Old 09-20-06, 03:07 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

My before and now... After is still a while down the road.Attachment 24935

<edit, I enlarged but it didn't "stick" That is my old belt with a knife stuck in the old hole and a knife in the new hole...>
Good measure of progress, Hambone! Good job! Wait til you get to cut a couple of feet off the end! Talk about a good feeling!

Old 09-20-06, 03:29 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good measure of progress, Hambone! Good job! Wait til you get to cut a couple of feet off the end! Talk about a good feeling!
I bought a leather punch and every once in a while I pull it out and punch a new hole in some belts. I have little leather "Munchkins" in a jar. (I'm thinking of taking them to a taxidermist and having them made into a wallet. but if you rub it...")

I started at 48". If I hit 36", I'll be surprised (or sick.)
Old 09-20-06, 04:06 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

I bought a leather punch and every once in a while I pull it out and punch a new hole in some belts. I have little leather "Munchkins" in a jar. (I'm thinking of taking them to a taxidermist and having them made into a wallet. but if you rub it...")

I started at 48". If I hit 36", I'll be surprised (or sick.)
I started at 74 and am 42" now!

Old 09-20-06, 04:12 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started at 74 and am 42" now!
Dude, that is friggin incredible.

I'm trying to loose my sons. I have a 4yo and an 18 mo old. If I can loose each month what they gain... Or, said better- I want my total loss to be their combined weight. Of course, come Thanksgiving, they may need to start jogging.
Old 09-21-06, 09:52 AM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My story certainly isn't as incredible and cool as Tom's, but I figured I might as well post pics. They aren't very good, and unfortunatley I'm paranoid about my identity and so I blacked my face out, but you can see my transition from 220-170.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
before.JPG (10.3 KB, 1864 views)
File Type: jpg
after.JPG (17.3 KB, 1827 views)

Last edited by Michigander; 09-21-06 at 05:01 PM.
Likes For Michigander:
Old 09-21-06, 10:05 AM
jhs494
Nirvana

Bikes: "06" Gary Fisher Nirvana S Hybrid "06" Specialized Sequoia Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started last Oct. At 6' 2" 230 lbs. Walked for about the first six months then started cycling I was 190 lbs in July when I got my bike, I am 184 lbs average about 180 to 200 miles a week on my bike... I have never felt better.. Very low sodium diet try to keep my intake to 600mgs a day.

Last edited by jhs494; 09-29-06 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 04:30 PM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same problem for me: Mtn. Dew, nectar of the gods. I've managed to go soda-free for as much as a month, but then have one and it's all downhill from there. Tried going with the diet drinks, but just can't stomach them, no matter the artificial sweetener they use or the amount of sodium. Actually do agree with later poster that Diet Rite is good alternative on the sodium end, but even though it's also the best tasting of the diet drinks IMHO, that still doesn't make it palatable. Plus, with the debate over the safety of artificial sweeteners, including Splenda, and the studies reported about people who switch to diet sodas actually gaining weight, I'll take my chances on high fructose corn syrup until I can get my a$$ in gear to cut them out entirely.

Starting from 255 now on my get-in-shape endeavor (after not succeeding a couple of years ago when starting from 220). But first, there's a 12 ounce can of green goodness and a couple of Halloween candies calling my name.

mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.