Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear facing camera or radar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear facing camera or radar

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 11:07 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep. When I ride with my wife, we use one radar unit on her bike. She links to it with a dedicated display and I link to it with my computer. As a bonus, I'll get a message on my computer about losing the link if I "accidentally" drop her.
Fixed it for you.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 09-04-19, 11:58 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Can someone please explain how the Varia improves safety?
I usually ride on country roads and it isn't often that I don't hear a car approaching from behind.
I then move slightly closer to the kerb and ensure I hold a good straight line.
Isn't the main issue if the car does not pass safely and give you adequate room?
The Varia can't tell you if the car is going to give you 3' or 3" clearance or actually rear end you can it?
The Varia will tell you that the car is there before you can hear it. Unless you have truly exceptional hearing. Moving at any kind of a decent clip, I that find wind noise masks the sound of a car approaching from the rear until it's pretty damned close.

The Varia will also track multiple cars and give you a visual indication of their spacing and rate of approach. For sure your ears can't tell you that.
Old 09-04-19, 12:50 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep. When I ride with my wife, we use one radar unit on her bike. She links to it with a dedicated display and I link to it with my computer. As a bonus, I'll get a message on my computer about losing the link if I accidentally drop her.
That’s interesting. What’s kind of range do you get with that?
Old 09-04-19, 02:09 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
For those of us (i.e. me) not familiar with the Varia, do you need to enable a separate screen on your Garmin to enable all this tracking?

And what model of Varia are you guys using?

Old 09-04-19, 02:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
The 510 (top) is the current model. You will be notified of a car on any data screen, Garmin or Wahoo. Check out the DCR vids for a rundown.
Old 09-04-19, 02:47 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
For those of us (i.e. me) not familiar with the Varia, do you need to enable a separate screen on your Garmin to enable all this tracking?

And what model of Varia are you guys using?
For garmin, a kind of “WiFi” round bar looking thing stays on the top right corner of screen, which is persistent and stays there no matter what screen you’re on. When it detect traffic behind, the head unit beeps (multi tone or single tone configurable), left and right edge of the screen turns orange-to-red depending on the cars’ differential speed to you and a bar with dot(s) representing car(s) appear on the right side of the screen (configurable for which side of screen to show up). When car(s) pass the colored edges turn green and disappear.

As @WhyFi mentioned, the top one is the current model (RTL510). Do watch DCR and GPLama tube video reviews. You’ll have a much better idea than what I’ve summarized.
Old 09-04-19, 03:19 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
For garmin, a kind of “WiFi” round bar looking thing stays on the top right corner of screen, which is persistent and stays there no matter what screen you’re on. When it detect traffic behind, the head unit beeps (multi tone or single tone configurable), left and right edge of the screen turns orange-to-red depending on the cars’ differential speed to you and a bar with dot(s) representing car(s) appear on the right side of the screen (configurable for which side of screen to show up). When car(s) pass the colored edges turn green and disappear.

As @WhyFi mentioned, the top one is the current model (RTL510). Do watch DCR and GPLama tube video reviews. You’ll have a much better idea than what I’ve summarized.
And Wahoo does something similar but they also bring in the LEDs into the user interface.

Anybody else other than wahoo or Garmin users need the head end.

That said, if you ever anticipate using a non Garmin gps, but the version that has the head end display included because Garmin doesn’t sell it separately.

also, don’t bother with v1.0 (horizontal version), the taillight is all bit useless and the horizontal form factor can interfere with your thighs depending on how your bike is set up. V2.0 is by far the better unit.
Old 09-04-19, 04:40 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A couple asides with the Varia:
  • Wahoo Element/Bolt/Roam are now compatible (though they don't do the ANT+ light control, so you have to turn it on manually)
  • If you have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, there's a Garmin discount program - I hear that the Varia goes for ~$130 with this program; that's not that much more than a decent light.
The varia radar can be turned on remotely when you startup your Edge device?
Old 09-04-19, 05:50 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
The varia radar can be turned on remotely when you startup your Edge device?
Yes. If the device confirms to the ant+ light spec, you can set that up.
Old 09-04-19, 06:16 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Yes. If the device confirms to the ant+ light spec, you can set that up.
I'll have to figure that out. I have always been turning them on independently.
Old 09-04-19, 06:21 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I'll have to figure that out. I have always been turning them on independently.
It’s under “light network” settings. You can set it to turn on “At device power up” or “when timer start/stop pressed” (or something to that effect).
Old 09-04-19, 06:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
That’s interesting. What’s kind of range do you get with that?
Maybe 50-150 ft. One thing you can do for fun is drop back, then sprint hard to catch up; you can see yourself on the radar.
Old 09-04-19, 06:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
the vibration thing would be cool. I have to look into that.

I guess I meant to say that I don’t think it’s useless but that it can sort of be part of a task overload situation where there is a lot of stuff to keep track of all at once. But I agree it can be useful for finding voids in traffic.
The vibration thing is pretty cool. I have a Garmin GPS watch (as a bike computer but also for climbing and skiing), it will vibrate on my wrist when cars are behind me. Important thing is to silence all the other alerts when you ride, so you know the vibration is telling you about a car not that you've gone another 5 miles.

A lot of people say the radar is "useless" in urban environments. You didn't say or imply that, and I'm not really disagreeing with you. Since this thread is about people looking for info, about safety, I wanted to say that it's actually useful in the city before somebody came along and convinced anyone otherwise. How useful depends on the court and the cyclist, but it's a lot more than zero in any case.

(I say that as someone who was hit from behind years ago, which lit a fire under my ass.)
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-04-19, 10:16 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
It’s under “light network” settings. You can set it to turn on “At device power up” or “when timer start/stop pressed” (or something to that effect).
I tried finding it on my Edge820... doesn't exist for me
Old 09-04-19, 11:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I tried finding it on my Edge820... doesn't exist for me
I just set it up on my Edge 520. You probably need to go into pairing mode first to make it show up as a new sensor.
Old 09-05-19, 03:09 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
A couple asides with the Varia:
  • Wahoo Element/Bolt/Roam are now compatible (though they don't do the ANT+ light control, so you have to turn it on manually)
  • If you have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, there's a Garmin discount program - I hear that the Varia goes for ~$130 with this program; that's not that much more than a decent light.
Thanks for that info! I had never thought to check and see if Anthem offered discounts with Garmin, and it's good for $130 on Varia as well.
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 09-05-19, 04:04 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I'm having difficulty in appreciating what benefit a rider gets from a radar that tells you about an approaching car.

Do you really think you'd be able to "get out of the way" if a car was about to hit you from behind? While having advance notification of a collision might be interesting (for that brief moment while you're still upright), I can't imagine this being terribly useful once the collision has happened.

I can think of situations in a group ride where this would be super-handy to have, where you've got other bikes close behind and to the sides and back of you.

But as a collision-avoidance device, or pre-collision awareness, I don't understand the usefulness of that - especially if it's not recording anything. But I could be misunderstanding the purpose of the device. People here do seem to really love them.
Old 09-05-19, 05:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'm having difficulty in appreciating what benefit a rider gets from a radar that tells you about an approaching car.

Do you really think you'd be able to "get out of the way" if a car was about to hit you from behind? While having advance notification of a collision might be interesting (for that brief moment while you're still upright), I can't imagine this being terribly useful once the collision has happened.

I can think of situations in a group ride where this would be super-handy to have, where you've got other bikes close behind and to the sides and back of you.

But as a collision-avoidance device, or pre-collision awareness, I don't understand the usefulness of that - especially if it's not recording anything. But I could be misunderstanding the purpose of the device. People here do seem to really love them.
I don't have one of these units, but I've been pondering the purchase.

Over the my last few rides, I've made a point of noting when and why I move in to lanes of traffic. If you have broad, clean shoulders and you never have to venture in to a lane, maybe it wouldn't benefit you so much... but I often have crappy shoulders with debris and hazards here and there. If I'm regularly moving in to a lane, even if only briefly to avoid a pothole, I can see this being a benefit. If there's a longer stretch of ****ty shoulder, I think it would be a nice luxury to move in to the lane, in the smooth passenger-side wheel track, and just cruise there until the shoulder improves or I get a notification of a car back.

I'm sure that someone with practical experience will be happy to chime in with regard to my expectations.
Old 09-05-19, 07:24 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Can someone please explain how the Varia improves safety?
I usually ride on country roads and it isn't often that I don't hear a car approaching from behind.
I then move slightly closer to the kerb and ensure I hold a good straight line.
Isn't the main issue if the car does not pass safely and give you adequate room?
The Varia can't tell you if the car is going to give you 3' or 3" clearance or actually rear end you can it?
In your case, you don’t need the Varia.

In my riding situation, I find the Varia to be very helpful. I ride on a mix of roads, some empty rural roads and some busier roads like California’s PCH. The audible signal alerts me to incoming traffic. Then I look over my shoulder and can assess the risk factor.

The Varia’s light will start to quickly flash thus, hopefully, alerting the driver to my presence.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-05-19, 08:23 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts

I guess you haven't read the many reasoned explanations on where the Varia is useful. It's one of those products that anyone who has used one really sees the benefit and is glad they ride with one.
Old 09-05-19, 08:40 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by velopig
I guess you haven't read the many reasoned explanations on where the Varia is useful. It's one of those products that anyone who has used one really sees the benefit and is glad they ride with one.
I read a lot of statements saying, "it's great"; but it's not clear how. OK, so there's a car coming behind you, wonderful. Now what? Is that it?

When I go through the city, there's *always* a car behind you. Whenever I move lane position, first I look.

I don't see where this device - though technologically effective and certainly interesting - is doing the cyclist any favors.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 09-05-19, 08:42 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-05-19, 08:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I read a lot of statements saying, "it's great"; but it's not clear how. OK, so there's a car coming behind you, wonderful. Now what? Is that it?

When I go through the city, there's *always* a car behind you. Whenever I move lane position, first I look.

I don't see where this device - though technologically effective and certainly interesting - is doing the cyclist any favors.
It sounds kind you've decided it's not. That's ok too. Everybody who's used one feels differently, but first assumptions are cool too.
Old 09-05-19, 09:02 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I don't have one of these units, but I've been pondering the purchase.

Over the my last few rides, I've made a point of noting when and why I move in to lanes of traffic. If you have broad, clean shoulders and you never have to venture in to a lane, maybe it wouldn't benefit you so much... but I often have crappy shoulders with debris and hazards here and there. If I'm regularly moving in to a lane, even if only briefly to avoid a pothole, I can see this being a benefit. If there's a longer stretch of ****ty shoulder, I think it would be a nice luxury to move in to the lane, in the smooth passenger-side wheel track, and just cruise there until the shoulder improves or I get a notification of a car back.

I'm sure that someone with practical experience will be happy to chime in with regard to my expectations.
That's exactly why I love mine. Same road conditions out in the country. I can relax and ride where I want until it notifies me about a car, then I move to the right.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 09-05-19, 09:10 AM
ridelikeaturtle

I like this review FAQ:

Will the Varia prevent a car from hitting me?

Simply put: No. But, it may prevent a car from hitting you if you’re the one that’s not paying attention.
Ah, I see the point now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.