Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Greg LeMond To Be Awarded U.S. Congressional Gold Medal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Greg LeMond To Be Awarded U.S. Congressional Gold Medal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 05:49 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy

Remember, enemy of my enemy is my friend"
Man...check out the look on his face. Tough as nails.
Old 09-23-19, 08:14 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Greg LeMond visiting Whitehouse in 1986

Old 09-23-19, 10:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Lemond still has lead in his body, unable to be removed surgically. If he gets too thin, he suffers. People that look at him and call him fat, well, he's not, and he's alive. That's enough for me, as I prefer one of my cycling heroes to live life and enjoy it.

I don't see why anyone would expect a person to look like he/she did 30 years ago.
Yup. I'm 150 lbs now, near my welterweight fighting weight of my teens and 20s. But at age 61 now I'm in nowhere that same shape and never will be again. I've lost 15 lbs since last year and it really hasn't done much good. I'm not really any stronger. I'm faster over distance only because I'm lugging less weight up climbs. But my speeds over short distances still aren't any faster than 2017 when I first got my Ironman. I weighed 165 then and was stronger.

Some days I wonder why I bother keeping my weight down. Mostly it's from giving up beer. Can't metabolize alcohol anymore. Otherwise I'd be perfectly contented at 165.

LeMond looks like a normal guy our age now. Nothing wrong with that, especially if he's happy and doing well.
Old 09-23-19, 10:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Another difference in LeMond's generation, that's pretty much gone now, is tactics, including breaking up a field to reduce the risk of a field sprint boxing out guys who aren't the strongest sprinters.

Guys like LeMond were clever, wheelsucking their more dangerous opponents not merely to conserve energy but to rattle the opponents psychologically. Then pushing attacks and solo breakaways to split up chasers and wear 'em down to reduce the bunched sprints.

LeMond didn't always have a strong team but he had the engine and smarts to compensate. And he had just enough of a mean streak to get into an opponent's head. That's something many great champions of all sports can do -- turn on that mean streak just for the competition, then turn it off again afterward to rejoin the human race.

That 1989 World Championship extended finish remains one of the most exciting in road racing history, between LeMond, Konyshev, Kelly, Rooks, Claveyrolat and Fignon. Tactics, psychology, guts and grunt. I've rewatched the final 15 minutes of that race many times.
Old 09-24-19, 07:21 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

And in the heat of competition, particularly immediately after a stage that didn't go well, LeMond could come across as petulant and a bit whiny. Thanks to edited YouTube videos you can find several examples.
Yeah, funny enough after reading/watching Slaying the Badger, I could see it from both points of view. LeMond went a bit paranoid because trying to win a three-week Grand Tour is extraordinarily stressful, and I figure Hinault probably got a case of the red mist and just decided to go nuts.

Best tour ever ran, even more than 1989. If there was something I didn't like about the documentary versus the book, it was the portrayal of Koechli, who comes off as a tough but tactically smart coach in the book, and as the story's quasi-villain in the documentary.

Also the best parts were the goofy side-stories and anecdotes- the poor ex-farm-boy La Vie Claire teammate who got kept up all night by Hinault asking him endless questions about how to run a farm/breed cattle/etc stuck in the memory.