Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cyclocross to single speed conversion (Felt F65X 2012) - Is this viable?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Cyclocross to single speed conversion (Felt F65X 2012) - Is this viable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 09:00 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by youngbull
It's the truth about bikeforums.. truth hurts i guess XD
You are right, again, the truth is that you complained about how people are negative and you had the most negative post. That is an interesting way to solve the problem, if there really is one.....
Old 07-22-15, 09:03 AM
youngbull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
You are right, again, the truth is that you complained about how people are negative and you had the most negative post. That is an interesting way to solve the problem, if there really is one.....
No I didn't. I was replying and agreeing to someone else who mentions how people are negative on this forum. Much like how you're replying to me. So by your logic that makes you the most negative here.
Old 07-22-15, 09:10 AM
Kindaslow

No I didn't. I was replying and agreeing to someone else who mentions how people are negative on this forum. Much like how you're replying to me. So by your logic that makes you the most negative here.
So, zero ability to reflect....

This subforum has a tremendous quantity of help and support, and maybe the lowest level of garbage advice. However, as the warning on the door says, there is grumpiness that follows when people are lazy. So, play it any way you want, but if you find it too much, why keep showing up to complain about the people who respond regularly?
Old 07-22-15, 09:18 AM
youngbull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, zero ability to reflect....

This subforum has a tremendous quantity of help and support, and maybe the lowest level of garbage advice. However, as the warning on the door says, there is grumpiness that follows when people are lazy. So, play it any way you want, but if you find it too much, why keep showing up to complain about the people who respond regularly?
I didn't say this forum didn't have help and support. I made a simple statement replying to someone else and you jumped on my case. You picked a fight with me which makes you the most negative here. Those are the facts.
Old 07-22-15, 09:24 AM
Kindaslow

I didn't say this forum didn't have help and support. I made a simple statement replying to someone else and you jumped on my case. You picked a fight with me which makes you the most negative here. Those are the facts.
No fight here, just pointing out your negativity, while you complained about others. Hoping, for some odd reason, that you might see it and think about it. If you want to discuss this further, pm me. Otherwise, let's stop wasting others time.
Old 07-22-15, 09:37 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
So anyway, what size is this Felt and you interested in selling it?
Old 07-22-15, 09:40 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Felts suck and you know it!

Sorry, could not resist, or did not try....
Old 07-22-15, 09:44 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Felts suck and you know it!

Sorry, could not resist, or did not try....
If it was a Langster I wouldn't even be interested in it.
Old 07-22-15, 09:48 AM
Kindaslow

If it was a Langster I wouldn't even be interested in it.
That is not what you keep PMing me!!! And, by the way, no more selfies, please!!!!
Old 07-22-15, 11:28 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
If you like books, especially beautifully designed and illustrated books with abundant historical, technical and practical information, you will enjoy owning this book and using it as a how-to for completing your own SS/fixed conversion:

One Gear: Converting and Maintaining Single Speed and Fixed Gear Bicycles

"One Gear is a unique, much needed contribution to the culture that explains in simple, easy to understand language the steps required for a beginning or intermediate bike mechanic to learn how to rebuild and convert a geared bicycle into a slick, personalized fixie or single-speed. One Gear also contains chapters on single-speed variants such as flip-flop hubs, torpedo hubs and modern coaster brakes, as well as pictorial essays featuring frame builders ranging from classic standard bearers such as Cinelli and De Rosa to contemporary practitioners like Icarus Frames."

The book is simply a pleasure to read. If I ever find that soulful old road frame with horizontal dropouts, it's going to be a lot of fun doing the conversion.

This sounds like a great read. I plan to pick up a copy.
Old 07-23-15, 12:50 AM
n0mel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like books, especially beautifully designed and illustrated books with abundant historical, technical and practical information, you will enjoy owning this book and using it as a how-to for completing your own SS/fixed conversion:

One Gear: Converting and Maintaining Single Speed and Fixed Gear Bicycles

"One Gear is a unique, much needed contribution to the culture that explains in simple, easy to understand language the steps required for a beginning or intermediate bike mechanic to learn how to rebuild and convert a geared bicycle into a slick, personalized fixie or single-speed. One Gear also contains chapters on single-speed variants such as flip-flop hubs, torpedo hubs and modern coaster brakes, as well as pictorial essays featuring frame builders ranging from classic standard bearers such as Cinelli and De Rosa to contemporary practitioners like Icarus Frames."

The book is simply a pleasure to read. If I ever find that soulful old road frame with horizontal dropouts, it's going to be a lot of fun doing the conversion.
Looks like a nice read. Would probably make a nice gift to someone too. I'll look if I can find it at a decent price.

It's a size 57. I might be interested in selling it in the future. However, I live in Finland, so shipping far away might make this a bad deal for you Either way, it has one broken spoke in the back (and some creaks and clicks I want to silence), so I'm taking the rear wheel to the shop.

For now, I think I'm keeping the Felt, while in no hurry to find a way to satisfy my craving for a single speed for the road. Building a bike certainly would be a learning experience. I could just keep my eyes open for good used components. I am considering buying some tools to service the Felt thoroughly myself (mainly the BB). I could learn a lot from this.

I have nothing against gears, except the fact that keeping it running smooth as a day-to-day bike is a bit more work than I expected. I'm also a bit nervous leaving it locked in public places, as it looks so attractive and might be damaged in stuffed bike racks outdoors
Old 07-23-15, 05:18 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by mowzer
Yeah, it bothers me as well. I bought it as frame and fork only (basement find) and then used what parts I had to get it on the road for the summer. I don't know if I'll take the time to rebuild it in the future or not.
If you get any interest in taking your RB1 back to geared or if you just want solid B'stone info - check out the Bridgestone Owners Bunch group on facebook, which I think is an outgrowth of the old newsletter based BOB group created by Grant Petersen. Lots of help and good peeps there...
Old 07-23-15, 05:44 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n0mel
Looks like a nice read. Would probably make a nice gift to someone too. I'll look if I can find it at a decent price.

$25 isn't a "decent price"?
Old 07-23-15, 06:53 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hard cover, heavy semi-gloss paper, offset printed, would look great on anyone's coffee table. A great value at $25 if you're in the habit of buying nice books.
Old 07-23-15, 08:08 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hard cover, heavy semi-gloss paper, offset printed, would look great on anyone's coffee table. A great value at $25 if you're in the habit of buying nice books.

The only thing I hate about buying/having nice books is MOVING all those books, across country. Ugh....
Old 07-23-15, 11:27 AM
mowzer

Bikes: 1985 Grand Velo 3100 / 1992 RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
If you get any interest in taking your RB1 back to geared or if you just want solid B'stone info - check out the Bridgestone Owners Bunch group on facebook, which I think is an outgrowth of the old newsletter based BOB group created by Grant Petersen. Lots of help and good peeps there...
Will do. My Grand Velo is queued up for a rebuild first, but this will be helpful in either case. Thanks.
Old 07-23-15, 11:30 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
The only thing I hate about buying/having nice books is MOVING all those books, across country. Ugh....
+1
Also you have to move the bookshelves that go with them and then you have to find a place for them once you move.
Old 07-24-15, 02:33 AM
n0mel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
$25 isn't a "decent price"?
Well, like I've mentioned, I live in Finland. I can find the book for £25 at Amazon. Add shipping to this and we're talking closer to 45 USD. This is not something I, on a tight budget, spend on a book just like that.
A decent price, in my case, would be a used copy of the book, which I might find for about 30 USD (incl. shipping). I will consider buying it if I'm certain I will get more into single speed/fixies. I'm sure it's a fine book.

I've now set my sights on something like a Kona Paddy Wagon or a On-One Pompino. Either of these seem like good starting points for trying out single speed.