Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Painting?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 10:54 AM
TrainHardRaceEz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Painting?

Hi all, NOT a bike mechanic here but hoping you may help me out...

Does anyone have any experience painting their bike frame? I bought an old beater to ride around town and the paint is cracking all over. Any suggestions on type of paint and how to go about this?

While on that note...My black Cervelo P2 got a pretty bad, deep scrape in the frame when it was in its boxed being shipped to/from a race. It's a small divot out of the frame. Any use in trying to paint over that?
Old 12-12-18, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I repainted my bicycle in 1957, stripped off all the parts, then once I sanded off the loose chips and feathered the edges,
I sprayed it with a primer, car paint spray cans, being a steel bike, then top coated it ..

I used black primer and the top coat was not opaque , you could see thru it ," candy apple ", is usually over a metallic under layer
but over black it was black with an in this case a green patina..
Air dried rattle can paint is not very durable, but good enough for a 10 year old kid's job...

For a more durable finish , get a professional to do the job , they can use a catalyst cured liquid paint,
with a chemical self curing along the lines of an Epoxy, which is how carbon fiber fabrics are made structural

Not a mechanic? (no bike tools) I'd hire one that is.. to strip the bike down.. and put it back together, after the paint job,
unless you want a 'Ghost bike' type paint job, just painting everything white.. tires and all.....

9 days to winter solstice..

Old 12-12-18, 01:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by TrainHardRaceEz
Hi all, NOT a bike mechanic here but hoping you may help me out...

I bought an old beater to ride around town and the paint is cracking all over.
Honestly, You're talking about learning to completely disassemble and reassemble your bike and learning to paint a tubing structure (which is different from spray painting a flat surface). It's good you are asking this question in December because I think that's a pretty major undertaking. Even if you already own the necessary tools, the materials alone will cost more than the bike is probably worth. If it was my beater bike, I'd leave it.
Old 12-12-18, 01:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Once again my answer is "it depends". What do you expect as a result of painting? What are you willing to put into this project (time, tooling, $)?

One can do anything from simple fingernail polish/model enamel touch up with a disposable brush to a full on strip and wet paint with it's many coats and expenses. Rattle canning and powder coating fit in between these two book ends.

This forum, as well as the Framebuilders one, has had many threads on painting. I suggest you search for painting in each and step back. Andy
Old 12-12-18, 07:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I wouldn't bother painting a beater bike unless you really want to take it all apart, strip it (potentially do a little sanding), mask everything off and then go through the painting process and then put it all back together. Granted winter is a good time to do this since most folks are riding less but honestly unless the paint is becoming an issue IE: rust that is eat the frame, don't do it.
If you really love the bike and it is worth something to you, you could strip it down and send it out to a painter, a lot of auto body shops will paint your bike with the next car or car similar to the color you want for not a whole lot generally but you will want to bring it to a shop to get everything chased and faced again.

As far as the Cevelo is concerned is the paint damaged or the actual frame of the bike damaged? Paint can be touched up with fingernail polish (seriously that is what is used) but a dent in aluminum is not good and broken carbon is also not good and I wouldn't ride that.
Old 12-12-18, 07:45 PM
Freqman1

Bikes: Bunches

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Here are a few I did. Preparation is the key to a quality job. Plenty of how-to articles online. Don't rush and if you can see an imperfection fix it because paint won't hide it. V/r Shawn

Old 12-12-18, 08:10 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That is some classy work I am partial to automotive paint quality but it certainly costs a lot more. A spray can setup can come out decently if done right but keep in mind most paints are designed to be done at 70-80 degF and some flat will not work properly at all below 50.
Old 12-13-18, 08:36 AM
Freqman1

Bikes: Bunches

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
That is some classy work I am partial to automotive paint quality but it certainly costs a lot more. A spray can setup can come out decently if done right but keep in mind most paints are designed to be done at 70-80 degF and some flat will not work properly at all below 50.
I use single stage enamels. BC/CC was not used on these bikes and it looks way overdone when you clear coat one of these. Cost is a factor. I normally spend about $150 on paint and hardener for a two tone job not counting my One Shot for the striping. Of course you have primer, sand paper, grease and wax remover, reducer/thinner, tac rags, etc... that all add to the cost. V/r Shawn
Old 12-13-18, 09:38 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I had a steel frame refinished a couple of years ago. I did a complete disassembly...including the bearing race from the fork steer tube. I took the frame and fork to a power coating business. For $150 (U.S.) the frame was sandblasted and powder coated. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. It's is just as glossy as enamel paint. And, after applying vintage decals I really like it, and have gotten lots of complements on it. Additionally, it is my understanding that powder coating is more durable than even automobile-grade paint. The only drawback to power coating...if it's really a drawback...is that they can't do two-tone...like those in Freqman's pics above.

Whatever type of refinish you decide on...whether you do it yourself, or have someone do it for you...make sure that you/they are aware of all the areas/parts that should NOT be coated/painted. I.e. the inside of the head tube where the bearing races are inserted, shifter lugs, the fork steertube where the race fits on it, bottom bracket threads, Steertube threads, and even the dropouts. On my refinish mentioned above I didn't think the dropouts would be affected. But, there was more coating applied there than I anticipated and I actually had to sand off a bit of the finish to get the axle in. Otherwise, I love the PC, and am planing to refurbish another bike and also have it PC'd.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 12-13-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 10:06 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TrainHardRaceEz
While on that note...My black Cervelo P2 got a pretty bad, deep scrape in the frame when it was in its boxed being shipped to/from a race. It's a small divot out of the frame. Any use in trying to paint over that?
Easy to fix, hard to do well. You will follow the same procedure for touching up paint on a car, so I suggest you look into that, but the basic process is:

1) Fill to surface/slightly below. (Bondo for large damage, cyanoacrylate for small portions. CA is best applied using a probe, here, dipped in CA/lightly dragged across the surface like a pencil. Medium/thick "gap-filling" CA, depending on how fine the damage is)

2) Sand back (feather) the damaged area into a good area. The goal is to bring it down just below what the paint will fill.

3) Paint slightly over the bounds.

4) Feather the repair's bounds with high-grit paper.

5) Use appropriate rubbing compound to bring the finish to the same consistency of the original paint. Matte is harder to match than gloss...

As with everything, the devil is in the details--matching the paint by sight is only the first of a process that requires quite a bit of practice.
Old 12-13-18, 01:18 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

sand blasted and repainted with Rustoleum enamel

sprayed white Rustoleum lacquer over original white paint

Original (1968!!) paint cleaned and sprayed with Rustoleum clear lacquer top coat

1968? Peugeot mixte deep cleaned, judicious touch up then top coated with Rustoleum clear lacquer

Current project sand blast and painted rustoleum yellow enamel with clear enamel top coat

1974 Atala racer turned hipster bike Sand blasted and painted with Rustoleum enamel (no clear coat)

Raleigh Sport 1978 cleaned and clear coated with Rustoleum clear lacquer.
I Painted kitchen cabinets for many years before retiring and now have started repainting bikes for the Bike Exchange.

The most important part of the process is the prep . Everything MUST be perfectly clean and grease free. That means you should wear rubber gloves at all times, especially after the frame is striped and sanded.
I have sprayed a couple frames without stripping them first . They were white and I sanded them with 400 wet/dry, treated the rusty spots with naval jelly then spot primed , sanded, and sprayed a white top coat over everything.
(note- next time I do this I will use a white or light grey primer as the dark grey I used was hard to cover and took an extra 2 coats on those areas .

I have found that most bike paint is lacquer and you can often make the original paint look very good by judiciously touching up chips and scratches with a similar colored lacquer nail polish , roughing up the original paint just slightly with 1000 grit wet/dry, then clear coating everything with Rustoleum Clear spray lacquer.

I have sprayed a few bikes with Rusoleum spray enamel and as seen in the above photos you can get a very nice looking job with it. The main issue with enamel is it takes a long time to dry between coats, 48 hours for enamel vs 2 for lacquer(including sanding) so a lacquer job can be completed in a day vs about a week for enamel. Also with enamel you have to be careful to protect the paint from something landing on it for at least an hour after spraying. Also, enamel sprayed into the air will stick to whatever it lands on. Lacquer drys so fast it won't . If you want to try Rustoleum lacquer you can buy it in a few colors at some True value stores. I know it comes in black, white, clear, yellow, and red. Don't spray lacquer over enamel as the solvents in it arent compatable with it.

One last warning. spray light coats and let dry between. The biggest cause of runs is applying the paint too heavily.

Last edited by capnjonny; 12-13-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 01:23 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Without seeing the damage on the P2, I would probably get it checked out to ensure there was no underlying damage from impact.
Old 12-13-18, 04:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Additionally, it is my understanding that powder coating is more durable than even automobile-grade paint. The only drawback to power coating...if it's really a drawback...is that they can't do two-tone...like those in Freqman's pics above.
They can do just about anything these days if you have the money.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...an-done-2.html
Old 12-13-18, 08:36 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have no intention of ever painting a bike frame, but I'd be curious to see how one of those new "glitter" spray paints would work for this.
Old 12-14-18, 10:17 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Granted winter is a good time to do this since most folks are riding less but honestly unless the paint is becoming an issue IE: rust that is eat the frame, don't do it.
Isn't winter when you are supposed to be riding your beater and working on your 'nice' bike/bikes? I'm just messing around, but as others have said, it's a "beater" for a reason, so investing too much into it seems strange unless it has real sentimental value, or you genuinely enjoy having a project to work on.

As for painting a bike frame with any sort of spray, I would think it is rather difficult and complicated because of the small diameter tubes and all the various angles. I've only ever painted a few larger sized motorcycle parts that offered larger, flatter, less complex surfaces, but that was enough to let me understand I would need A LOT more practice before trying to paint a bike frame to any decent standard.
Old 12-14-18, 11:55 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
They can do just about anything these days if you have the money.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...an-done-2.html

Obviously the finished powdercoat can be painted over. But my understanding...or perhaps MISunderstanding of how the process works is that there is no way to keep the powder "overspray" from clinging to the areas where you DON'T want it to. But if two-tone powdercoat can be done...cool!

Dan
Old 12-14-18, 03:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I am in the finishing stages of brush painting a frame. Have always used rattle can paint, first time brushing it on. It is a lot harder and more time consuming than rattle can, however I can do it indoors. The bike has had 3 colors before this one, and I did all of the previous colors with a rattle can (Rustoleum). If you want good quality, durable paint, go with powder coat. It is really, really durable.
Old 12-14-18, 08:53 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Obviously the finished powdercoat can be painted over. But my understanding...or perhaps MISunderstanding of how the process works is that there is no way to keep the powder "overspray" from clinging to the areas where you DON'T want it to. But if two-tone powdercoat can be done...cool!

Dan
A long time back I think I saw a place that did two tone powdercoating but it is a process and not quite as simple as a liquid paint spray.
Old 12-14-18, 09:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

For a more durable finish , get a professional to do the job , they can use a catalyst cured liquid paint,with a chemical self curing along the lines of an Epoxy, which is how carbon fiber fabrics are made structural.

...for mere humans, like the bulk of the people on this forum, this stuff is a game changer. I've had pretty good to excellent results with it. Works for a smoother, better gloss if you can wet sand the color coat before you apply it, but even absent that step, it's an impressive, durable, two part, mix it in the spray can, clear finish over just about any well bonded substrate. Cost is about 20 bucks most places, and one can will cover a frame and fork with enough paint to get it to smooth out to a gloss finish.

Old 12-14-18, 10:20 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Is the OP just trolling for more uncredited content for his blog?
Old 12-17-18, 06:10 PM
greenspark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I bought a 1980's Gazelle, bad paint. Disassembled it and sanded it to bare metal in my workshop. Frame, forks, fenders and luggage rack. I had a cream coloured skirt guard, so I selected matching powder coat. Bike painters were quoting NZ$3,000 (US$2,000) to paint a bike. An industrial powder coating company quoted NZ$45 ($US30) for three layers. For them it was a simple job. For the bike painters, it was as if they were restoring a Picasso painting or Stradivarius violin. Below is the final $45 result.

Old 12-18-18, 05:29 PM
Brittney

Bikes: Marin Nicasio

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did an old frame a few years back. Cost me about 5 times what I thought it would have.
Loads of filler, more cans of paint than expected etc
It was enjoyable though

These guys have a "bike specific" paint. Getting good reports, nice colour ranges, sparkly clear coats if that's your bag
https://spray.bike/
Old 12-19-18, 12:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
TO PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT?

https://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe..._A_Bicycle.htm