Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Currently melting an aluminum seat post - first hand experience of dumb in here

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 10:41 AM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

first: i am not a chemist
second: see first

I consider myself pretty handy, and smart enough to know that I am not really smart. So I figure I'll take one of the most caustic things ever, and try melting an aluminum seatpost stuck in a steel frame. Because Science!

I've so far spent two hours trying to figure out the optimal way to plug up an open seat tube top (pro tip: there isn't one - it will ALWAYS leak), and accidentally splashing lye on both my arms, my head, and my boots. Despite wearing safety gloves, and a a full chem mask + goggles.

I've poured in about two rounds of 2:1 lye solution so far; I can't see any progress (due to the wrapped seatpost), but I hear noises. Apparently it's doing something beyond trashing my paint.

I also need to buy a new bottle of concentrated lemon juice, because I was freaking out about the lye eating through my skin (and the leather on my boots), so I sorta sprayed it everywhere. My hands are still slippery (read: mostly inert lye sitting on my hands despite repeated rinsing), and I'm still able to see and smell. So I've got that going for me.

Anyone else have some stupidly dangerous science project going on?
Old 04-17-16, 10:56 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Could you have someone filming this and upload it to YouTube? Priceless...
Old 04-17-16, 11:06 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Does it sorta look like the volcano experiment with soda powder & vinegar?
Old 04-17-16, 11:08 AM
smoothness 

HEY NOW. If i'm going to suffer for hilarity, I don't want Alphabet/Google/Youtube making any more money. Also, at least I had the cognizance to not try to selfie-video myself while doing this stuff. That's how people get hurt...wait a minute.
Old 04-17-16, 11:12 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Hope you will be okay, otherwise this will give new meaning to the term Zombie Thread.
Old 04-17-16, 11:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18388 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Wash the lye off with copious amounts of water. You don't need to use up the entire US Stockpile of lemon juice. Vinegar would also work.

How much post do you have sticking out? Any?

I don't think the goal is to completely melt the post, but rather to get it loose and pull it out.
Old 04-17-16, 11:25 AM
smoothness 

it totally sorta looks like the vinegar baking soda volcano. except full of melty aluminum slurry.

due to many mechanical attempts of removing the post, all i have left is about 1 cm worth. and it is very sharp. ask me how i know. so i'm basically hoping to melt the whole thing out, rather than try to pry it.
Old 04-17-16, 11:29 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had to resort to this method on a Trek 520. It took several days for the Lye to do it's thing, and the heat produced by the chemical reaction ruined the paint! Very dangerous, hope I never have to do it again.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 04-17-16, 11:35 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by smoothness
HEY NOW. If i'm going to suffer for hilarity, I don't want Alphabet/Google/Youtube making any more money. Also, at least I had the cognizance to not try to selfie-video myself while doing this stuff. That's how people get hurt...wait a minute.
That's why you get someone else to hold the camera, so you don't get lye all over it.

I tip my hat to you, if it weren't for the adventurous out there, what a boring world we'd live in! It's great stuff, and this should work - I'd just love to see it happen.
Old 04-17-16, 11:40 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Chris W.
I had to resort to this method on a Trek 520. It took several days for the Lye to do it's thing, and the heat produced by the chemical reaction ruined the paint! Very dangerous, hope I never have to do it again.
Cheers,
Chris
Less paint to ruin with the fork.

So far I've never had to deal with such issues, although on a crazy whim, I bought a bike with a stuck bottom bracket, and the previous owner had already started making a mess out of it
Old 04-17-16, 11:42 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,391 Times in 895 Posts
Anyone else have some stupidly dangerous science project going on?
Why, yes! (Thanks for asking)

A few days ago, I started noticing a "vinegar" smell in my car. I though maybe an apple had escaped from a grocery shop and rolled under a seat. A search came up empty, so I popped trunk and discovered the source.

I had been carrying around the old battery from my wife's car. I needed to take it back for the core charge, but who has time for that? Anyhow, it had leaked all over the carpet in the trunk. Anything metal was covered in salts and the smell was overwhelming.

I read that the way to deal with this is to spray everything down with a baking soda solution. I must say I got some pretty good volcanic action localized to the trunk of my car.

once the acid was rendered inert, I shampooed the trunk and now my car smells like a taxi.
Old 04-17-16, 11:56 AM
yipyipyip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not use acid to neutralize the base! Just dilute with lots of water.
Old 04-17-16, 12:00 PM
smoothness 

Originally Posted by yipyipyip
Do not use acid to neutralize the base! Just dilute with lots of water.
Just for clarification: I used the lemon juice AFTER i had doused myself in water. I still felt slimy, and even though I knew the water took care of a lot of the lye...I just wanted to make extra sure (and smelling lemony fresh at the same time!)

Warning: neutralizing a base with an acid can cause an exothermic reaction, which can cause serious burns. do not do it if you get it on your person.

Update on the melting: I accidentally dropped a fair amount of lye slush outside of my drip bucket and onto my pressure-treated deck...which is one story up. Let's hope the floor doesn't melt away from me. The original idea was to use the eyelet as a gauge to see when I had poured enough lye; unfortunately, I didn't think it'd sprinkle out like an eye-talian fountain.

Last edited by smoothness; 04-17-16 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 12:44 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Just for clarification: I used the lemon juice AFTER i had doused myself in water. I still felt slimy, and even though I knew the water took care of a lot of the lye...I just wanted to make extra sure (and smelling lemony fresh at the same time!)

Warning: neutralizing a base with an acid can cause an exothermic reaction, which can cause serious burns. do not do it if you get it on your person.

Update on the melting: I accidentally dropped a fair amount of lye slush outside of my drip bucket and onto my pressure-treated deck...which is one story up. Let's hope the floor doesn't melt away from me. The original idea was to use the eyelet as a gauge to see when I had poured enough lye; unfortunately, I didn't think it'd sprinkle out like an eye-talian fountain.
This is turning into a lost episode of "Breaking Bad"
Old 04-17-16, 01:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
This doesn't sound dangerous enough, you should hook it up to a starter battery or maybe a welder
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-17-16, 01:35 PM
smoothness 

things i've used on this frame:

MAPP torch
Louisville slugger (baseball bat of freedom)
Sledgehammer (soviet hammer of submission)
Six-foot breaker bar ("it's all about length, baby")
more MAPP (bored)
Dry Ice (application error on my behalf - did not get frame hot enough, and ended up just creating a dry ice volcano inside a bicycle frame. also threw a lot of it at my lab assistant)
and just general whacking it on my cross-section of a tree trunk (it brings stumping to a whole new meaning)

I would have tried tig, but I don't have access to a welder. if I did, I would have just tried to weld it to a sheet of metal and extracted via tow hook on a car.

I can't really see how I could use the starter battery...except for maybe making a ghetto welder. BRING ON THE AMPS.

UPDATE ON MELTY GOODNESS:

The cork I put in the seat post is no longer functioning as named, and should now be named Sveltey McSievey, of clan Slippery. Surprisingly, it hasn't melted to nothing yet. The oxide coating on the exposed bit of seatpost is definitely melting away with each application; the only issue is whether any of the solution is getting between the tube and the post. I've run halfway through my solution of lye, and my boots are definitely ruined.

Last edited by smoothness; 04-17-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 01:39 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Can you entertain us with some photos at least? This sounds like the project of the year!
Old 04-17-16, 02:03 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm confused about stuck stems and posts. (Probably because I've never run into one.). But wouldn't the obvious way to get these out be to drill and then, if needed saw or chisel? And if you don't have an appropriate bit or other tool, to bring it to a machine shop?

Does something about drilling not work?
Old 04-17-16, 02:27 PM
smoothness 

@ artclone:

the issue with using a needle file/rat tail/triangle is that you can't get enough leverage far down the seat tube for any worthwhile effort. the same goes with hacksaw blades - you'll be there forever. you can't drill either, unless you've got a drill press that's tall enough to accept a frame, and the skill to drill only through the seat post, and not through the seat tube as well. finally, machine shops are expensive, and lye is cheap.

and because people were curious, here's a few pictures (the order goes: original, cold, then hot, then melty hot)

Old 04-17-16, 03:01 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
if you pour the lye in your eyes, you'll be heroic, just like hazel motes.
Old 04-17-16, 03:07 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
A last resort of course, but strangely satisfying.
Old 04-17-16, 03:09 PM
CliffordK

I think someone had posted a photo of adding a wire to the back of a bare sawblade to give it a bit more pressure down towards the end of the seatpost. But, still a lot of work to saw it out, with the risk of cutting too much.
Old 04-17-16, 03:26 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Hope you will be okay, otherwise this will give new meaning to the term Zombie Thread.
I actually went back to the OP to check the date. You fooled me there!
Old 04-17-16, 03:59 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Coolness..
Old 04-17-16, 05:15 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
The BEST kind of madness. Good luck and here's wishing you some survival!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.