Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What have you found on the ground while riding?

Old 07-10-19, 07:08 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Sounds like drug dealer drop money

Drug dealers don't like to be holding either money or product, so if they get stopped by the cops they can't be physically tied to anything.

Even on a transfer of cash to the higher level dealer some don't like to hand off the money since if someone is watching it implicates both people. So some dealers will dead drop money where someone else will come pick it up later. Then if that person gets caught with it they can plausibly say "I just found a bundle of cash. I have no idea where it came from....I was going to take it to the local police station but you stopped me."

I used to be an addictions counselor in a prison. Worked with a lot of dealers. Interesting people. Some are REALLY smart and extremely creative, to the point where police who were actively looking for drugs/cash won't find it if they were standing on it. Some are dumber than a bag of lopsided rocks and will dead drop money on a well traveled bike path where it gets easily found.

Either that or posting here that you 'found it' is just part of your cover story....
Yeah maybe. Not sure what it's like where you're from, but down under tradies have a habit of taking "cash in hand" jobs to avoid income tax/gst.

Our older eastern European and south east Asian residents also have a distrust for banking institutions and tend to have money hidden under the mattress (we have a pretty good aged pension).

Also could be ice dealers. A bit of that around of late. Where i found it though was in a gutter in a residential street, just in someones curbside gutter.
Old 07-10-19, 07:12 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Good thing to drop it off at the police station is that it is less likely that the drug dealers will claim the goods. Will they even think to ask?

I've found small amounts of cash, but the few larger finds, I never have gotten to keep it.

I found a wallet full of cash next to a parked car in Parma, Italy. There were kids in the car, so we asked them about it, and they ran off with the packet to find their parents. When they came back, they said it was theirs. My friend didn't believe them, but it wasn't really our money either.

A year or so ago, I was riding when I saw someone hunting for something on the other side of the 4 lane road. She yelled about an envelope. I was thinking manila. Anyway, 1/4 mile away up the hill, I found a white sealed envelope that looked right, so I took it back to her. She was happy to see it. It had > $100 in it, she offered me some, but I was happy to get it back to her without reward.

Anyway, that $3200 sounds like quite a haul.

If only I had been able to keep that Felt CF bicycle that I "found", but alas, I also found the owner.
Yeah i took the police approach because if i started asking around (there was 0 people on the street at 6.30am) it was too easy for anyone to say yeah that's mine.

At least to collect from the cops they need to provide approximate dollar amount and location.

I'd hate for a legitimate owner to have been short $3200. I think it's akin to stealing if you don't do what you need to do in order to return money that wasn't legitimately yours in the first place. I don't need that bad juju on my life.

All worked out well for me in the end though, it ended up funding my new Giant Defy and then some.
Old 07-10-19, 07:16 PM
illdrag0n

Last edited by illdrag0n; 07-10-19 at 07:17 PM. Reason: vsv
Old 07-10-19, 07:24 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Too bad buddy, you had 60 days to claim it lol

Ah well. It sounds like you did everything demanded by prudence, responsibility and good citizenship. Enjoy your winnings. That's quite the wad.
Old 07-17-19, 10:37 AM
andycook

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golf balls. A hot pink one and a bright yellow one. My ride starts on a loop around a golf course.
Old 07-18-19, 02:47 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
A month or so ago I found an older IPhone and Otterbox case. First I saw one part of the case....then the phone. Phone was working and undamaged thanks to the otterbox. It likely fell from a car as the person who owned it was an old man and based on my interaction, it was not dropped from a bike. It was unlocked too. If I were not a nice person, I could have accessed all sorts of stuff. When I spoke to owner, I told him he should use the lock feature.
Old 07-18-19, 03:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
A mouse. Alive, and scooting away from the curb, under traffic waiting at the stoplight.

Tomorrow perhaps: a squished mouse
Old 07-18-19, 04:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This very morning. Luckily, right near the end of the ride so I didn't have to tote that thing in the jersey for two hours.

Old 07-18-19, 04:14 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Lego pieces.

And a 10mm socket T-wrench on the very day I really could've used one.
Old 07-19-19, 06:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I have found a guinea pig the last 3 times I rode.

I'm sure it's the same one as it's in the same place every time. Obviously it's a runaway pet. But every day it's sitting there in the same place and runs into the bushes as soon as I approach.

That's a new one on me.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-19-19, 11:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Funny... I was sure that story was going to end with "every day it's sitting there in the same place because it's squashed"
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-21-19, 05:45 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
0n my commute I found all kinds of tools and even cash money! One day I found a six lb bar of copper.
Old 07-21-19, 11:25 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BorderRider
I didn't actually smell it. The perfume was still powerful and not my favourite. It hit me !
Do you by chance live or commute past strip clubs? Ewwwwwwww
Old 07-21-19, 04:24 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Man, I've found so much stuff I keep my eyes peeled now. In fact, about 2 days ago, while riding out in the country around here, I spotted a smart-phone hidden in the grass just off the pavement. I knew that had to have slid off a car roof or something, (which turned out to be the case). I turned around and grabbed it, the screen came right on, and when I stopped at the store where I top off my bottles, I started looking through recent calls to find someone to ring up. Long story short, that evening the girl's father came to get it, and even gave me a $20 gift card from the Dollar Store right up the road, LOL!!
I've found a couple single Allen wrenches, of the common bike size, so i assume they were lost by cyclists. I've found numerous other tools, (adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, rolls of duct tape, etc), good work gloves, nice wool beanie cap (best one I own now). I once found a nice Columbia rain jacket, with a few bucks in the pocket, and business card for a hair salon on the other side of the county ( I called, but no joy). It was too small for me, so I gave it to my niece.
I also found a cool OD green Frog Toggs rain jacket, which I came back to at the end of the ride, and carried home (it's my car jacket now).
My mom needed a way to organize her snakes-nest of extension cords for her leaf blower and weed-eater, and all of a sudden, I spot one of those things that hold wrapped-up extension cords !!! The timing on that was downright weird !
I've found people's car keys, then posted them on Craigslist lost & found, but no luck there. Same with a kids baseball glove I found that had his name on it, I posted it, but no luck there,either.
Heck, I'm sure I'm still forgetting several things.

(edit: yep remembered another one! I once found a little nylon/velcro pouch that I believe attaches to the shoelaces of joggers, to carry a little cash and car/house key, and it did have several bucks in it.)
Years ago, my home-made bike rack in the garage needed some padding where there bike's top-tube rested across two 2x4's, and I happened to find about a 4-5 ft piece of foam pipe insulation. It may have fallen from a construction/plumbing truck, but it looked to be exactly what i needed. I folded it up across the mtn bike handlebar, and rode home with it, and it worked perfectly !

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-21-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 09:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
saw 2 large adjustable crescent wrenches Friday (several miles apart). neither was in nice enough condition to turn around & pick up
Old 07-22-19, 11:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I feel like the pickings are slim here because there’s a lot of homeless getting to it first. Cf my story above about the purse.

Same goes for the cherry and orange trees
Old 07-22-19, 01:42 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
Today:
- Nicely cut rectangle of sod, roughly 2' x 10' (I assume it fell off a landscaping truck).
- Christmas stocking.
Old 07-22-19, 02:25 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Man, I've found so much stuff I keep my eyes peeled now. In fact, about 2 days ago, while riding out in the country around here, I spotted a smart-phone hidden in the grass just off the pavement. I knew that had to have slid off a car roof or something, (which turned out to be the case). I turned around and grabbed it, the screen came right on, and when I stopped at the store where I top off my bottles, I started looking through recent calls to find someone to ring up. Long story short, that evening the girl's father came to get it, and even gave me a $20 gift card from the Dollar Store right up the road, LOL!!
I've found a couple single Allen wrenches, of the common bike size, so i assume they were lost by cyclists. I've found numerous other tools, (adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, rolls of duct tape, etc), good work gloves, nice wool beanie cap (best one I own now). I once found a nice Columbia rain jacket, with a few bucks in the pocket, and business card for a hair salon on the other side of the county ( I called, but no joy). It was too small for me, so I gave it to my niece.
I also found a cool OD green Frog Toggs rain jacket, which I came back to at the end of the ride, and carried home (it's my car jacket now).
My mom needed a way to organize her snakes-nest of extension cords for her leaf blower and weed-eater, and all of a sudden, I spot one of those things that hold wrapped-up extension cords !!! The timing on that was downright weird !
I've found people's car keys, then posted them on Craigslist lost & found, but no luck there. Same with a kids baseball glove I found that had his name on it, I posted it, but no luck there,either.
Heck, I'm sure I'm still forgetting several things.

(edit: yep remembered another one! I once found a little nylon/velcro pouch that I believe attaches to the shoelaces of joggers, to carry a little cash and car/house key, and it did have several bucks in it.)
Years ago, my home-made bike rack in the garage needed some padding where there bike's top-tube rested across two 2x4's, and I happened to find about a 4-5 ft piece of foam pipe insulation. It may have fallen from a construction/plumbing truck, but it looked to be exactly what i needed. I folded it up across the mtn bike handlebar, and rode home with it, and it worked perfectly !
Why don't you decide you need 3 or 4 gold bars....and I'll ride in front of you that day.
Old 07-22-19, 02:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
You guys are lucky. I found poop on the trail. Smallish grazer poop. I wonder if the yak men got a new yak?
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-22-19, 03:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
I found poop today. The past month, road crews have been working on resurfacing the residential neighborhood I ride through before I get to the arterials. The road that will be paved today (I might get to ride on it tonight) had half a dog turd on it. I briefly wondered if the dog's owner left or planted it there on purpose to see if any of it was evident through the new layer of asphalt
Old 07-22-19, 11:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Oh there's always something on the trail; otter, raccoon, dog, just usually on the edges not right down the middle for a surprisingly long stretch.
Old 07-23-19, 10:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I found poop today... I briefly wondered if the dog's owner left or planted it there on purpose to see if any of it was evident through the new layer of asphalt
Owner was probably walking half a block ahead with his phone out and head down when the dog did his duty.

True story: we have a dog who does not like anyone to watch him poop. We take him camping to RV parks and he won't go during a walk, he needs to be off leash and my back turned. And although that's a place I definitely need to pick up after him, sometimes I just can't find it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-24-19, 09:43 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I found some birth control / STD prevention devices today. I make a reasonable living and can afford my own so I left them for the next guy who might be a little less fortunate.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 07-25-19, 12:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by RoadKill
I found some birth control / STD prevention devices today. I make a reasonable living and can afford my own so I left them for the next guy who might be a little less fortunate.
I wanted to say something funny about recycling, but I've got nuthin'.
Old 07-26-19, 11:41 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I found half a roll of duct tape this morning, and found it a half block from work. Who doesn't need more duct tape?
Likes For no motor?:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.