Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Old 09-04-19, 01:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Please post a picture of the very secure grip while also using the brakes.
Sorry, I'm at work on my phone so that will have to wait but you can just google Tiagra hydraulic brake shifter to start. Common Shimano mid grade product.
Old 09-04-19, 01:51 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As to the fasting, no we tell you you are wrong because you keep telling everyone else they're sick if they don't do it your way. I've never seen anyone so anxious to accuse dozens of total strangers of being "food addicts".
uh because 3/4 of Americans are obese. Fact
There are also multiple threads on BF on loosing weight. Fact

Addiction = compulsive substance use despite harmful consequence. Fact

Your version entails just ride your bike more, but continue the substance abuse. many others have also argued this same thing here on BF

my version, quit abusing the substance causing obesity. which is Eat less, "Eat to live, don't live to eat" You won't die, fasting with refeeds isn't starvation, no matter how many times your brain says it is.

but hell, if drop bars are an illusion, then substance control and self control are also illusions.

just to hammer home the point about obesity, here are some quotes from this very thread/topic.

Then I lost some more belly fat and began spending more time in the drops.
A big difference was losing the belly so I could pedal and breath easier.
It's true, I used my drop bars more and more as I lost most of my belly fat.
I also am getting more and more use out of the drops on my Toughroad, it's all a belly fat thing.
Though I was much skinnier back in the 90s, it was the excessive belly fat, resulting from 20-plus years of culturally-induced bad diets, that made it very hard for me to breathe reasonably well enough while on the drops of my decidedly not aggressive Raleigh Flyer.
It didn't matter that some of them were grossly overweight and lardy - the obese ones that couldn't possibly bend down just flipped the handlebars around to have the drops facing upwards.
Old 09-04-19, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
A helmet is not a drop bar.
On the other hand, if you need a quick Brunhilde costume, strapping the dropbar to a helmet might do in a pinch.
Old 09-04-19, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
uh because 3/4 of Americans are obese. Fact
There are also multiple threads on BF on loosing weight. Fact

Addiction = compulsive substance use despite harmful consequence. Fact

Your version entails just ride your bike more, but continue the substance abuse. many others have also argued this same thing here on BF

my version, quit abusing the substance causing obesity. which is Eat less, "Eat to live, don't live to eat" You won't die, fasting with refeeds isn't starvation, no matter how many times your brain says it is.

but hell, if drop bars are an illusion, then substance control and self control are also illusions.

just to hammer home the point about obesity, here are some quotes from this very thread/topic.

Thanks for proving my point--you are the king of telling everyone "my way or you're wrong."

I'm going to pass on encouraging you to display your obvious symptoms any further.

Last edited by BillyD; 09-04-19 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-04-19, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
uh because 3/4 of Americans are obese. False. Fact
FIFY. The stats are nowhere near that high for obesity alone. In fact, they are not even that high if you combine overweight and obese.

For obesity alone, it's only about 40%:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...es-exceed-35-7

3/4=75%
Old 09-04-19, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thanks for proving my point--you are the king of telling everyone "my way or you're wrong."

I'm going to pass on encouraging you to display your obvious anorexia symptoms any further.
Not to mention that he's way off with his obesity statistic. See my post above.
Old 09-04-19, 02:04 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
FIFY. The stats are nowhere near that high for obesity alone. In fact, they are not even that high if you combine overweight and obese.

For obesity alone, it's only about 40%:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...es-exceed-35-7
Old 09-04-19, 02:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t know about how anyone else has their hoods set up, but mine curve up in front of where I hold them. There is no way my hands are sliding off them from hitting a pothole or anything really, because impacts get absorbed by the elbows. I do mountain bike, so perhaps I am less stiff-armed than some people.

Maybe if I hit a wall or guardrail head-on my hands would come off. Long story short, my hands are not coming off the hoods unless my body is already going OTB.

I do descend in my drops for control, however, it is really hard to say what someone else should do without knowing how their drops are set up. If the bars are set up too low to start with (which is pretty common, as evidenced by people never getting in the drops) then the hoods may actually be the better position.
Old 09-04-19, 02:12 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
You do know that what you linked to contradicts your claim that 75% of Americans are obese, right?
Old 09-04-19, 02:46 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Can't you guys argue peacefully? You know we don't give out cookies for correct opinions, right?
Old 09-04-19, 02:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The estimates and associated graphs are bunk anyway, because they use fairly small sample sets to try to forecast the entire population. They cannot and do not take any individuals or small (small being less than even 100,000) groups into account. Based on the simple formula for BMI, every bodybuilder is grossly obese.

On-topic, I use the drops about 2% of the time... on my bike with aerobars. I use the aerobars... a lot. I've got my conditioning up to where I can spend about 10 minutes straight in the skis, then I have to take a break for a few minutes. I'll get there.
Old 09-04-19, 03:09 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Funny you should mention hallucinating. Get a load of this super trippy video:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dangela20...wo5yml8envsslu

I challenge everyone to watch it only once.
Chupacabra!!!
Old 09-04-19, 03:19 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I leave for a long weekend and a troll thread about a topic that has been beaten to death on these forums has reached page 7 and somehow turned into an argument over obesity statistics?

Likes For ksryder:
Old 09-04-19, 05:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Pardon me for butting in, but if there are only drops and flats, where do these fit? I choose not to use drops, in large part because I like to admire the scenery on my rides and not have a permanent neck cramp. Also the belly fat thing.
All of my bikes have swept bars. You can move your hand position aft by several inches compared to a mainstream road bike if you want, and further dial it in with frame and stem dimensions as well.

With that said, everything that's been discussed about maintaining control at high speed or rough terrain, applies to swept bars even moreso, because of moving your hands closer to your center of gravity. I'm OK with that, because I'm not a particularly fast rider anyway.
Old 09-04-19, 05:28 PM
Happy Feet

Did you get off work? Curious to see what you come up with.
Really.. really. You couldn't just google the set I indicated in the post you quoted? Now I understand why braking on the hoods may be difficult for you.
Old 09-04-19, 05:51 PM
indyfabz

Guess I need to remind you that you wrote that 3/4 of Americans are "obese." Period. Overweight and obese are not the same thing. Also, the above says that 3/4 of men and 60% of women are obese or overweight. Ever hear of the concept of average? That doesn't equate to 3/4 of Americans being overweight or obese. Thanks for proving yourself uncorrect, and welcome to my iggy list. Don't bother quoting me. I won't see it.
Old 09-04-19, 05:53 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ksryder
I leave for a long weekend and a troll thread about a topic that has been beaten to death on these forums has reached page 7 and somehow turned into an argument over obesity statistics?
There is no credible argument. Dude in simply uncorrect in his claim that 3/4 of Americans are obese. His own link demonstrates that.
Old 09-04-19, 06:46 PM
Happy Feet

I own a bike with the shifters you mentioned. There's no way to hold them that makes your statement true. Post a pic of what you meant because I'm not seeing it, here with the shifters in real life.
Your wish is my command.

These are the mechanical disc version of the Taigra ST4700 groupset. The hydraulic version would be even easier to apply and require less finger reach and/or strength.

Drops.
Notice the thumb wrap around and how the palm sits on the bar only because these are shallow flared bars that create an even more advantageous hold compared to traditional drops. Contrast to the hoods.

Hoods.
Notice the same thumb wrap around and secure grip.

...and another angle

which is surprisingly similar to this stable position

A shot of the bike to show bar orientation and seat/bar height

To contrast with older drop bar / lever positions.

Notice the lack of security when I need to stretch to activate the brake. I'm holding on by the hook of my thumb only. This (I assume) is what cyclocommute was referring to when he mentioned stretching the thumb and risky it coming off.

Yet how an old time rider might consider hoods to be even more risky

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-04-19 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-04-19, 07:38 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Pardon me for butting in, but if there are only drops and flats, where do these fit? I choose not to use drops, in large part because I like to admire the scenery on my rides and not have a permanent neck cramp. Also the belly fat thing.

As an engineer, it bothers me that the front brake cable routes under the bar, resulting in such an unyielding bend to the adjuster. I can see it was routed that way by a stylist, for appearances sake. This causes me to question the build of the whole bike.
Old 09-04-19, 08:04 PM
Happy Feet

Really.. I hedged my shots. Whatta crock. Even your own shots show how secure your grip is in the hoods but whatever (curious what measuring device you used to come up with those percentages btw. One finger from the drops 90% braking ability.. right...). I try to engage in certain topics that interest me honestly but find people who just want to be right tedious. And I'm one of the guys who uses his drops regularly!

I suggested a lever to google but you couldn't be bothered. I took the time to shoot and post pics into a photo sharing website and repost here and you claim deception. I even showed the very issue another poster talked about but was challenged on.

Sorry, I gave it a shot but this tangent with you is a waste of my time. I'll leave it to others to decide for themselves what they will.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-04-19 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-04-19, 08:17 PM
Happy Feet

Sure man. You win the internet today.
Old 09-04-19, 08:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Even your own shots show how secure your grip is in the hoods but whatever.
No they don't. Getting powerful braking on hoods requires getting fingers low down the lever, and that means giving up the easy secure grip of index and middle fingers on the hood. Spoonrobot's images clearly show this.

I suggested a lever to google but you couldn't be bothered.
Because your suggestion to google was irrelevant, he literally owns the exact lever you mentioned. You entered the conversation with the impression that participants were unfamiliar with modern hoods, which was false.

One finger from the drops 90% braking ability.. right...)

Index finger at the bottom of the lever, sure. It's a strong finger with great motor control, it's positioned in the spot of maximal leverage, and the hooks posture of the rest of the hand is good for supporting the index finger in actuating the lever (it's purely a squeeze action, you're not having to "twist down" at the lever like on the hoods). I'll use more fingers than that on bikes with weak brakes, like my vintage steel machines with Dia-Compe single-pivots, but with strong brakes there's usually not much need for more.
Old 09-04-19, 09:17 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I like the comfort and versatility of a nice drop bar. Sitting upright makes my ass hurt. Flat bars make my hands and wrists hurt. I see more on a traditional road bike because I travel farther, climb faster, and have a more comfortable ride. My neck never hurts until I hit the 12 hour mark, which is rare, and the little bit of ache usually passes quickly, it's hardly what I call pain. Don't like drop bars? Then don't ride them. A racing bike with 250 gram silks is what I call the ultimate in comfort. Now go away.
Old 09-04-19, 09:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
As an engineer, it bothers me that the front brake cable routes under the bar, resulting in such an unyielding bend to the adjuster. I can see it was routed that way by a stylist, for appearances sake. This causes me to question the build of the whole bike.
I swiped it from the Velo Orange site for illustration purposes. You'll also notice the lack of shifters, probably for a "cleaner" look.

I have a bike similar to that one, but the brakes are angled outward; a google image search of the Portofino bar shows the same thing.
Old 09-04-19, 11:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
This thread has caused me to learn that I am apparently obese, even though I am not.

It's also made me want to think about how I brake when riding road and gravel. I cant say I consciously think about it...ever. I brake from the hoods and the bike stops. Apparently my hands arent secure when doing this though? Never thought they were anything but secure up to now. Maybe I've just been lucky for all these years and milea. Or maybe I have incredible braking from and dont realize since I've never thought about it.
Hmm.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.