Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Holding devices for seat stays

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 09:19 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

As I'm trying to become more efficient during my build processes, I've been thinking of coming up with tools, jigs, or devices that hold tubes and bits where I need them so I can then tack/join them together; specifically seat stays. Last night while getting my seat stays in place I ended up using a zip tie (not the best I know) to hold the stays up at the seat cluster while I tacked them on the drop outs. Then I used a nylon wrap I had found to tighten them around the upper third of the stay while I then tacked them to the seat cluster. Pretty crude, but it got the job done; nicely I might add.

What are you guys using to hold your stays in place? I'd love some pictures. I have some ideas, but not sure if they'd work all that great. I'd like to be able to thrown on the tool and go to town. It would speed things up for me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 09-18-19, 10:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Brandon- For the longest time I have used a spoke bent into a "U" shape. The width of the U is such the spoke will sit roughly half way along the stays. I sometimes have pinned the stays to the lug sides. I also have used a couple of flat plates with a C clamp to maintain the stay's parallelism. I probably have a shot in my Flicker albums but don't have time to hunt right now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/73195587@N00/albums Andy
Old 09-18-19, 01:57 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Brandon- For the longest time I have used a spoke bent into a "U" shape. The width of the U is such the spoke will sit roughly half way along the stays. I sometimes have pinned the stays to the lug sides. I also have used a couple of flat plates with a C clamp to maintain the stay's parallelism. I probably have a shot in my Flicker albums but don't have time to hunt right now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/73195587@N00/albums Andy
Thanks Andy. I'll filter through photos and see what I see. I've pinned a couple times and seemed to work well, but just trying to open up my mind a bit and get some more ideas.
Old 09-18-19, 05:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I am not real fond of the idea of pinning, particularly with seat stays because it goes into the seat tube. I might try it on the current frame though.

I would like to set something up on my frame fixture to hold seat stays, but I haven't worked on that yet. Seems like a mill is almost required for that, and mine isn't working
Old 09-18-19, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Eric- I have used odd strips of stuff to precision machinist squares to work off my HJ jig for helping to hold stays in sync. As to pins entering the ST insides- sure but we should all be finishing that surface too (whether with a hand file, Dremel, reamer or hone). Same with pinning a head lug. Andy
Old 09-19-19, 01:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
At Trek, I made a simple stay-holder out of a piece of strip steel and tubing scrap. Worked fine when I was brazing dozens of rear triangles daily. I still use it now. Another helpful hint (we didn't do this at Trek) is to file a shallow trough in the sides of the seat lug for the stays to settle into. This stabilizes the stays and makes for a larger surface area (i.e. stronger) joint between the lug and the stays.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 09-19-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 01:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"file a shallow trough in the sides of the seat lug for the stays to settle into. This stabilizes the stays and makes for a larger surface area (i.e. stronger) joint between the lug and the stays."

This is what I do and it works just fine. Got the idea from this very forum a while back. I hold the stays together with an old leather toe clip strap.
Old 09-19-19, 02:04 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Another helpful hint (we didn't do this at Trek) is to file a shallow trough in the sides of the seat lug for the stays to settle into. This stabilizes the stays and makes for a larger surface area (i.e. stronger) joint between the lug and the stays.
Thank you John! I was thinking of something similar to this with some sort of hooks. Regarding the trough, I was taught that in frame school and did it here as well. It certainly helped the zip ties keep it secure enough.
Old 09-19-19, 05:01 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I use this attachment that I made for my frame fixture. The dummy tire can be replaced with a flat plate to hold the stays in position. Its a bit fiddly to get it positioned just right, but it definitely helps hold the stays in plane. This was made in a hurry and I've always meant to make a nicer version, but this one works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
45738857151_2e47a88c18_z.jpg (103.9 KB, 35 views)
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-19-19, 07:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I use this attachment that I made for my frame fixture.
thanks for that picture, I now realize that I can cut the part that sticks out on my lathe, and I have things I can use that sit flat on the fixture.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-19-19, 09:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

A couple of shots that relate to this thread and maybe others. The spoke wire clip to hold the stays against the seat lug stay groove, the clamped plates to keep the stay's parallel and the S&S couplers placement as far rearward on the TT for wall thickness. Oh and pins too. Andy