Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thief proof my bike parts

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-01-19, 11:10 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I lived in Austin TX for 3 years, and never had anything stolen from my bikes. I moved to Eugene OR recently, and the petty theft here is on another level. I have anti theft skewers on my wheels and a nice secure U-lock. However, I've already had my saddle bag, 2 good front lights, and frame pump stolen off my bike. and I lock my bike in a remote part of campus. I was thinking of getting a bottle cage container to hold my spare tube, lever, pump and allen tools, and just take that with me whenever I get off the bike. I also want to keep my brooks saddle safe, and get a security bolt for the seat post. If they really wanted to, they could use a 6 mm allen bolt to separate the saddle from the post, but idk if the thieves are that advanced here..

Any recommendations for bottle cage holders that can also accommodate bike pumps? what about security bolts with really small/handy wrenches that I can put in the bottle cage holder?
Old 10-01-19, 01:11 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I think it's Topeak that has a really big cage with mounting holes to fit standard bottle cage mounts. (There are also probably 900 other companies that make something similar)

It looks like a large bottle cage. But it has a strap. So you can put a small bag or whatever on there and add some easily removable storage.

Or you could do a trunk bag / pannier. Just put all the standard repair stuff in there, and toss your lights in there too when you stop and boom...carry it away with you.

Ultimately nothing on the bike will be theft proof. If you make it super secure so it can't be easily removed, there are jerks who will just break it with a rock just because they can't have it.

Option B is to move back to Austin, where they still prosecute criminals.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 10-01-19, 01:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I was thinking up things to tell you until you got to "Brooks saddle," then I decided you're just doomed
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-01-19, 03:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got a water proof seat cover over the brooks, so nobody knows what it is unless they really take their time. plus, i don't think these thieves know what a brooks saddle is. i think most of them are not bike thieves. they're drug addicts or something
Old 10-01-19, 03:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I think it's Topeak that has a really big cage with mounting holes to fit standard bottle cage mounts. (There are also probably 900 other companies that make something similar)

It looks like a large bottle cage. But it has a strap. So you can put a small bag or whatever on there and add some easily removable storage.
Are you talking about the Topeak Modula XL? I have one of those, and it's great for 1.5L plastic bottles, but the strap is designed to barely fit around a bottle-cap, it would take some cleverness to adapt that to like a bundle or something.
Old 10-01-19, 04:41 PM
Maslin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome to Eugene

My wife parks outside, locked up in the parking garage at her work. Maybe 50' from the door. People have had all kinds of things stolen there, her grey and black Trek fx2 has been left alone. They'll steal the mount for a rear light, let alone an actual light. You can't leave anything exposed.

I'm lucky enough to be parked inside, dry and warm.
Old 10-01-19, 06:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Salsa Anything Cage
https://salsacycles.com/components/c.../anything_cage

They have some similar clever products, click around.

Wolf Tooth also has its B-RAD mounting system that will hold bottles side by side

Gah! You drew me in
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-01-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 03:26 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
That’s a tuff one. Sad you're not in TX anymore, I want to move there, seriously! CA, OR, and WA we have a big homeless/theft problem and it’s getting worse! You see a lot of them pushing stolen shopping carts with all their stuff in it, do you really think they stop at that?

I have a very basic none flashy cheap old MT bike (no Brooks saddle) with just nuts on the wheels and seat post. I lock it up with a good U Lock through the frame and back wheel to a good solid bike rack, then I use a Double Loop Cable through front wheel and seat then back through to the U Lock. I take off all my lights and leave nothing on the bike I’m not willing to lose. Again you’re not in TX anymore.

Mostly I now ride a Brompton and always take it inside with me, always, grocery stores, restaurants. If I go into a higher end restaurant I have the Brompton optional cover/bag that hangs off the back of the seat. I quickly bag it before I walk in with it. I’ve never had any issues getting a table doing so.

Last edited by tim24k; 10-02-19 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 12:13 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Are you talking about the Topeak Modula XL? I have one of those, and it's great for 1.5L plastic bottles, but the strap is designed to barely fit around a bottle-cap, it would take some cleverness to adapt that to like a bundle or something.
No. Not that. It's a wider cage. More like a rack that mounts to bottle cage braze ons
Old 10-02-19, 12:57 PM
Xanthippus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you don't have it as bad as us in Toronto. Working as a bike courier here every piece of my bike is secured with either pinheads or custom machined bolts. Titanium Security Bolts, Ti Anti Theft , Atomic22, Security Skewers
Plug for my supplier.
Likes For Xanthippus:
Old 10-02-19, 03:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
You have to talk to people to learn how the thieves operate. They often operate in an irrational manner, so they'll take things that are not valuable to them (but might be to you), and they may leave things that are valuable.

Here in NYC, I have to remove everything when I lock up. I have a saddle bag with just my tools and repair supplies. It also has my taillight mounted onto it. I stuff my headlight into that bag and take it off the bike and put it in my backpack. It weighs about the same as my lock, so it's an even trade. I take my bottle with me, as it's one of those expensive steel bottles. I've had one stolen, and it was a big annoyance.

I know one bike mechanic who will put solder into an Allen key fitting to thief-proof it. You can heat the bolt/nut up again to take the solder out. Maybe wax would be nearly as good and much easier to deal with.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-02-19, 07:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
All removables need to be removed.... no way to secure them. Put on an older saddle. I have brooks saddles, but my commuter just gets an old cheap saddle.

I recently bought a lockitt U-lock for the bike and that is very secure, but doesn't help with all the little stuff. I have a mini pump, tools and tube in my commuter backbag.
Old 10-09-19, 10:16 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i've decided to just strip everything from it, and keep lights in my backpack. figured i'll probably never flat in these tractor tires in my 1 mile commute, and everything in this town is pretty close together, so saddle bag is kind of redundant.

also got some security bolts for the brooks saddle, and probably put a couple on the stem/handlebar too
Old 10-13-19, 04:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Xanthippus
I've been buying titanium bits from Toronto Cycles for years. Not so much for security, though those ones linked to are pretty slick, but more for corrosion resistance. Ti also looks nice.
As to theft prevention, I've found a folding bike that goes anywhere (folded and bagged, as necessary) eliminates the theft risk. I realize not everyone has the luxury of taking their bike inside their workplace.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-18-19, 07:00 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Do a google search for security bolts and nuts they would work good for seat posts and maybe other parts.
Old 10-20-19, 02:59 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
First, I'm sorry that someone stole your stuff. I park my bike in my shop and had never had any trouble. Then, my rear blinker disappeared. I didn't think about I but my front light was pointing downward. After thinking about it, I even have problems getting it off. For awhile I rode without a blinker. Mine mounts in a piece fastened to my rear rack. Then it started getting dark again. I was fortunate to find an old blinker that most the LED's worked on. So I put that on and it too disappeared. I don't like thieves and I need a blinker in the dark mornings. So I Bought one and got an alarm as well. I liked the alarm so much, I bought one for my other bike. I put mine on my seat post. I also zip tied my blinker, but that's because it doesn't fit the mount the way the old one did. As soon as I have to put new batteries in it, I have a new blinker that will fit tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Anti...sr=1-1-catcorr
Old 10-22-19, 02:18 PM
Tiny1990

Bikes: 1990 Diamondback Interval, 08 Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I live in Medford Oregon and anything that can come off a bike will get stolen quick! My good friend lost one crank arm off of his bmx race bike outside of Fred Meyer.
Likes For Tiny1990:
Old 10-23-19, 11:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
First, I'm sorry that someone stole your stuff. I park my bike in my shop and had never had any trouble. Then, my rear blinker disappeared. I didn't think about I but my front light was pointing downward. After thinking about it, I even have problems getting it off. For awhile I rode without a blinker. Mine mounts in a piece fastened to my rear rack. Then it started getting dark again. I was fortunate to find an old blinker that most the LED's worked on. So I put that on and it too disappeared. I don't like thieves and I need a blinker in the dark mornings. So I Bought one and got an alarm as well. I liked the alarm so much, I bought one for my other bike. I put mine on my seat post. I also zip tied my blinker, but that's because it doesn't fit the mount the way the old one did. As soon as I have to put new batteries in it, I have a new blinker that will fit tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B0734QN8KR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bicycle+alarm&qid=1571604748&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr
ah i like it

question though. how often does it give false alarms? i guess it depends on how/where you park it..

Last edited by spectastic; 10-24-19 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 01:59 PM
baldilocks

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
ah i like it

question though. how often does it give false alarms? i guess it depends on how/where you park it..
IDK. I think it kind of gives a warning alarm, which usually moves people away from it.
Old 10-26-19, 02:11 PM
baldilocks

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
ah i like it

Used it for a bike overnighter (camping) and had no false alarms. Don't know if wind or snow would affect on it. Most the time it's parked inside at my employment, with no false alarms.
Old 10-26-19, 02:44 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I keep my bike inside. So totally safe there. When I go riding I never leave it out of sight if I stop for any reason. If I stop to purchase something like fuel or hydration I take it inside with me. If the store won't allow it, (most will where I am), I will move on to a store that will. If I have to leave it somewhere while I do something I always keep it in sight and it is "secured" with a light combo cable lock. The lock's purpose is simply to stop someone from grabbing the bike while I am standing or sitting nearby and then taking off. At 73 there isn't anything I could do to stop them as they sprinted or rode away. I remove my Garmin and lights too. They are an easy snap on and off.
Old 10-26-19, 07:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
I keep my bike inside. So totally safe there. When I go riding I never leave it out of sight if I stop for any reason. If I stop to purchase something like fuel or hydration I take it inside with me. If the store won't allow it, (most will where I am), I will move on to a store that will. If I have to leave it somewhere while I do something I always keep it in sight and it is "secured" with a light combo cable lock. The lock's purpose is simply to stop someone from grabbing the bike while I am standing or sitting nearby and then taking off. At 73 there isn't anything I could do to stop them as they sprinted or rode away. I remove my Garmin and lights too. They are an easy snap on and off.
Smart
Old 11-01-19, 07:24 PM
geckodudes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could try locking it in a more visible area! A few minutes walk could make a huge difference
Old 11-02-19, 05:42 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Security fasteners for bikes! It will slow down the opportunist thieves, but those that are dedicated will try anything.

https://bicyclebolts.com/
Old 11-02-19, 12:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Security fasteners for bikes!
Yep.

I've posted this before and got a response that it was bad karma/zen/feng shui/juju to be so fixated on physical possessions.

I assumed that poster was a bike thief.

Last edited by tcs; 11-03-19 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.