Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who Has Tried a Velotoze Product?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 11-21-19, 03:17 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

Looking at getting the tall shoe covers and wondering if anyone has any experience with the company. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-19, 09:58 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My Velotoze tall shoe covers just arrived this week - I ordered from Merlin.

They remind me of swimming caps, but for feet. I'll report back once I get a chance to try them.

I plan to use them for rain and stick with neoprene covers for cold weather. I suspect they'll be better for this application, and unlike neoprene, they'll dry out between morning and evening commutes.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 11-24-19, 10:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
What's it made of?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-24-19, 10:09 AM
bpcyclist

I have not yet seen a complete materials listing for these shoe covers, but they definitely do contain some latex. So: WARNING, LATEX ALLERGY PEOPLE!
Old 12-14-19, 10:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
It finally rained, and I got a couple of rides in with the Velotoze!

For cold weather, I still prefer neoprene - the Velotoze do not breathe, at all.

On the other hand, I rode 9 miles to work in the rain, and only the toes of my shoes were a touch wet. Dry shoes for the ride home were awesome. The covers are easy to dry off, so they were good for the even more rainy 9 miles back home.

The bad: these things are delicate and not easy to take off - I ripped one after my second ride. I ordered another pair and will try to be more gentle. That said, I'd probably go with something more durable if rainy rides are a daily or otherwise frequent thing for you.

The package doesn't say what they're made of, other than latex.

Likes For wipekitty:
Old 12-19-19, 10:35 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
So, they are foot condoms, then.
Old 12-19-19, 02:13 PM
bpcyclist

Well, update here. Since so many reviewers near and far are having trouble keeping the Velotoze Tall Shoes from ripping upon putting them on or taking them off, I have decided to go a different direction. I bought some rather expensive Showers Pass Crosspoint Lightweight Hi-Viz Waterproof Socks. 37 flipping dollars is why I almost never buy anything from Showers Pass, even though I would otherwise like to support my hometown company. But guess what? These waterproof socks are fantastic! They really keep me dry, no matter how yukky and wet it is outside. For now, I am just using them with my Sidi Genius shoes and no other shoe covers. I may add a more traditional shoe cover once I see how this goes for awhile, but my feet are not wet, even after riding in the rain for 3 hours. It's weird. Not sure how they made these socks, but they are def worth the 37 dollars so far.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-08-21, 10:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
I asked for and got a pair of these for Xmas. Second use one of mine ripped too. I contacted the company, sent them picture of the torn cover, and they just sent me a coupon code for a replacement pair at NO CHARGE.

Word of advice if you do decide to get some of these. As suggested on the website video...definitely get the size they suggest. I wear size 13 shoe (US) and so I ordered the XL as suggested (XL is the biggest they make). And putting them on in the manner suggested in the video...they’re still hard to get on...and what caused the rip. I’m pretty confident they’ll rip again. I hope they don’t. But it they do...I’ll be done with Velotoze.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-08-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 10:09 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunlion
What's it made of?
They’re latex…like a swim cap. The they’re a little thicker than a swim cap, denser, and thus harder to stretch and get on over your shoes. Like others’ and mine have ripped…after using them it seems to me that they’d be LESS likely to rip if they were more like the consistency of swim cap latex. As a swimmer, I have lots of swim caps around. I think I’ll experiment with some this winter…cut a leg hole in the top, then stretch it over my cycling shoe…to see if that works any better than the Velotoze.

Dan