Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Old 01-05-20, 01:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
snip
Someone demolished the visibility argument by pointing out that motorists have no trouble spotting small animals or potentially hazardous trash along the side of the road. Our vision fixes on things that are unexpected or out of place, provided we're looking at the road and not a phone.
Many motorists do run into pedestrians, motorcycles, cyclists, deer, cats, dogs, elk, and A variety of other hazards, and did so prior to the invention of the smartphone. That concern is hardly “demolished”.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-05-20, 01:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
snip
Someone demolished the visibility argument by pointing out that motorists have no trouble spotting small animals or potentially hazardous trash along the side of the road. Our vision fixes on things that are unexpected or out of place, provided we're looking at the road and not a phone.
As someone who works in urban construction I'll not agree with that. I've experienced enough people driving through 6' high 3 rail barricades, barrels, cones, every imaginable traffic control device made. This guy ignored all required traffic control,an excavator, 2 dumps, an endloader, and 5 guys in safety vests.

Distracted, stupid, just plain ignoring, not seeing, whatever, people in cars will hit things

Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-05-20, 01:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some ask why a trike?
Actually, no one is asking that question. Seriously.
Old 01-05-20, 02:05 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Takes some thought and planning. If you've already decided a trike is what you want, you'll find a way. If you've already decided that you don't want one, it's an insurmountable problem.

Before we bought our first trike for my wife, we drove her Saturn sedan to the bike shop and said: "If you can show my wife how she can load the trike by herself, we'll buy it." My wife happened to be in her late 60's at the time. They showed her how to do it, she practiced one time in the bike shop parking lot and we drove home with it.
so how do you load it?
Old 01-05-20, 04:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’d ride a trike way before I’d ride a recumbent bike.
Old 01-05-20, 04:47 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Of course you dont have to worry about tipping over. You dont wobble all over trying to get going and clipped in. You can clip in and ride for hours until you want to stop and get off. You set laid back and have full view of where you are riding. Your lungs are not compress from being hunch over. You simply get all the pluses of cycling without any of the negatives.
I don't ride a trike but from your comments, I do understand you seriously lack bicycle handling skills and bike fit. The things you describe sound like rookie mistakes.

Not to mention these things you speak of are seriously incorrect.

Lungs compressed from being hunched over? WRONG!

Wobble all over while starting? WRONG!

Can't clip in for hours and ride for hours? WRONG!

Not having a full view of where you are riding, sightseeing? WRONG!

Riding an upright is not for fun and exercise? WRONG!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-05-20 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-05-20, 06:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
so how do you load it?
Trikes and cars are all a little different. Part of the process has to do with selection. In my wife's case she bought a Greenspeed GT3 which had 16* wheels. To load it into her Saturn she had to remove the seat and one front wheel then everything fit into her trunk which would close. We have also carried my Catrike 559 inside of her Saturn but doing that required folding it, removing both front wheels, and distributing the parts into the trunk and back seat area.
Old 01-05-20, 07:01 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Trikes look like fun! Do they have a differential or is only one wheel driven?
Old 01-05-20, 07:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
snip
Seriously?
I had to ride around 3 dead baby deer on sides of roads this year.
Old 01-05-20, 07:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I can't tell you how many times I saw people wobbling around on their two-wheeled bikes this year. Actually I can. It was none.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people on two wheelers actually use platform pedals. It's easy to lose perspective reading this forum.
Old 01-05-20, 07:27 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Or studded tires.
​​​​​​​Have studded tires. They don’t work on loose snow in an intersection. That’s why a trike is attractive.

Last edited by Alligator; 01-05-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 07:30 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
https://www.terratrike.com/

You couldn’t ride something like this where I live. You would get run over within a week of getting the thing.
Old 01-05-20, 07:34 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Alligator
Have studded tires. They don’t work on loose snow in an intersection. That’s why a trike is attractive.
Fat bike, then.
Old 01-05-20, 08:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Did somebody say Fat Bike?

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 01-05-20, 08:41 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously?
I had to ride around 3 dead baby deer on sides of roads this year.
I said SMALL animals. I've hit one deer myself and barely avoided hitting several others. They seem to have a habit of popping into the road from concealment.
Old 01-05-20, 08:50 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
To @Bah Humbug, @dedhed, and @livedarklions, the fact that a motorist isn't looking doesn't mean they can't see, so the 'invisible trike' claim is still invalid.
Old 01-05-20, 09:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Trikes? None for me, thanks. Not now, anyway. Recumbent bikes are just as comfortable and fun as trikes.
I'd consider riding one if I were unable to ride a bike but that's not a problem for now. By the way, I have ridden recumbent bikes exclusively for several years. Riding bikes of any sort - but not trikes - helps to maintain and/or improve balance abilities. That's a good thing. There are other balance-enhancing activities, but bicycling is more fun than the others. Someone asked about hauling recumbent bikes/trikes - our tandem recumbent bike rides on a car roof on a tandem topper, as does my long wheelbase recumbent bike (one at a time, please). My short wheelbase recumbent bike rides on a rear hitch rack.
Old 01-06-20, 05:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I said SMALL animals. I've hit one deer myself and barely avoided hitting several others. They seem to have a habit of popping into the road from concealment.
To @Bah Humbug, @dedhed, and @livedarklions, the fact that a motorist isn't looking doesn't mean they can't see, so the 'invisible trike' claim is still invalid.

So basically, you've cooked your example so that there's no way to disprove it. I didn't even bother to mention the literally hundreds of dead small animals on the roads I've seen during the last year of riding. Squirrels, turtles, racoons, possums, turkeys, etc.

I have no idea if trikes are as invisible as small animals, but it's a bad argument based on a poorly informed example. I wouldn't be comfortable riding that low for a lot of reasons, not saying that's the right calculation for anyone else.

I'm in this thread not because I care one way or another about whether people should ride trikes, but because I don't think there's any reason to make garbage up about two wheelers to justify trikes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-06-20, 05:52 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Trikes are people too!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-06-20, 06:08 AM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
The OP is a troll that comes to this forum every few months to stir things up and then sit back on his trike and eat popcorn. Don’t feed the trolls.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 01-06-20, 06:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Note however on the side bar I still have and ride a recumbent bike. I am one of the very fortunate persons that have had very little decline in either physical or mental abilities, even tho I am 81. I ride anywhere from 20 to 35 mile every other day.

I do like the advantages the trike has, the ease of riding it in town. OTOH the bike goes out of town where there are few stops.
I think it's great that trikes and recumbents work for you, and I also think it's fine for you to promote them from time to time. Where I think your threads go sour is when you start saying somewhat absurd things about two wheelers and the people who prefer them. "Racer boys"? Lung compression? I see lots of older people happily taking very relaxed rides on upright two wheelers all the time.

Maybe just focus on describing what it is you like about riding your vehicles instead of trying to "justify" using them by making absurd comparisons.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-06-20, 06:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
But do you use clipless pedals? Do you wobble around some getting started. With a trike you have none of that nuisance. When riding do you sometimes just stare at your front wheel?
Yes. No. No. Must be you.
Old 01-06-20, 06:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can't tell you how many times I saw people wobbling around on their two-wheeled bikes this year. Actually I can. It was none.
I saw a girl do it the other day. Of course, she looked to be about the age of 6.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-06-20, 07:50 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
So I have a tadpole trike in addition to my many conventional bikes. No need for this discussion to be polarized since these two vehicles are quite a bit different, but both are endearing in their own special ways. I love to ride my trike, but I also love to ride my bikes. They are two different experiences, but both bring meaningful pleasure. I don't ride my trike because I'm unstable or have issues with clipping in. I ride it because it's a hoot. It's like the difference between a kayak and a rowing wherry.

The important thing is that you are out riding.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-06-20, 08:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
No need for this discussion to be polarized
Actually, that was the specific intent of the OP.
Likes For Kapusta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.