Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1 bike in your quiver

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1 bike in your quiver

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 12:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
If I could only keep one it would be the 29er full-suspension, with a spare set of narrow width wheels w/slicks for more efficient road/MUP/commuting. Technical MTB is just too much fun to give up, and can't/shouldn't be done (by me) with anything less than full squish. The downside is that I'd have to give up group rides with the roadies, or find a much slower group.
that's what shoots down the whole "One Bike to Rule Them All" paradigm.

At my age and my depreciating fitness and skill set, F/S is the only way to get off fire roads and on to actual MTB trails. But there is no way (lockouts nonwithstanding) to make an F/S bike efficient on the road. It just ain't built for that. And for touring, I cannot imagine bikepacking gear which would work with all the F/S hardware inside the front triangle ....

So I need At least two, and really more like five bikes, top really do things right. Maybe fewer ... MTB, fast road, rain/touring .....

I cannot imagine being willing to accept the compromises involved with owning only one ... but to each his/her own.
Old 02-06-20, 12:28 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...So I need At least two, and really more like five bikes, top really do things right. Maybe fewer ... MTB, fast road, rain/touring .....
Yup those are the three I have now (along with a spare fast road that has trainer duty). Missing are possibly a gravel, and possibly a fat bike (for snowy trails), and possibly a fixie just for fun, and possibly an e-bike for tackling the hills on the return trip home when the knees are sore, and possibly a....
Old 02-06-20, 12:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I had to get rid of all my bikes save one, I would probably keep my CX bike. I've raced it for CX (duh), take it on gravel rides, did a few MTB races on it (suboptimal but doable), commute on it, and I could gear it up to do road rides on.
Old 02-06-20, 12:40 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have had only one working bike for the past two years - an aluminum touring bike. I can do medium/fast group road rides with it, if I have wide enough tires (~38mm) I can slowly pick my way through 98% of off road trails around here, and it is very much at home on gravel roads and stone dust paths. And it has the racks installed to get groceries or a case of beer, or I can strap whatever I need to it to do a self supported tour.

I had a FS Kona mtb I bought used a couple years ago, but it was a bit small for me so I passed it down to one of my kids. I also have frames and most of the parts needed to build my old hardtail mtb, road racing bike, and a few others, but I have been putting so many hours and miles on the touring bike that I have neither the time nor the motivation to bother.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-06-20, 03:57 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I'll bet even people with earbuds in can hear that hamburger case.
It's nice on a busy greenbelt😆 nice doorbell ding dong
Likes For Lman:
Old 02-09-20, 09:14 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Of the 8 bikes I ride, 3 modernish and 5 vintage, probably my '73 Super Course would be the one. It does dirt, hills, fast group rides, and everything else I need in a smooth responsive manner that always amazes me. It was also my first ever build from a scrap metal alley find frame. I love the the modern carbon, and the others are fun, but the old SC is probably the most versatile. With only a 14t small rear gear, even with a 52t front, the top end is limited, but I love the 32/34t on the hills.

Taking a break on Sulphur Mtn fire road.

Cleaned up for the beauty shot.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-09-20 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-09-20, 10:28 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I was looking for something versatile, and finally got me a Ritchey Swiss Cross after decades of wanting one.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 02-09-20, 11:56 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by glenymact
Hi all, i own a couple of bikes and have urges to own n+infinity bikes, but in the spirit of saving my wallet, storage space, and personal relationships its more practical for me to daydream of the perfect do anything bike. So i figured i'd ask the BF community what they are using for a do anything bike or an n-1 style bike.

I am using this bike:

Currently i have a 2018 fargo gx which is fulfilling that role quite well at the moment. It started as my bikepacking bike and has quickly become my road bike, mountain bike, and commuter. I put a super long and steep stem upside down in order to achieve an slight drop from seat to bars when its in road mode along with a different set of wheels that have slick tires so that i can usually keep up on any group ride. Recently I have been debating adding a 100mm travel front forks and making my own custom handlebars that can bridge the gap between road bars and flats in order to make it more capable offroad. When i talk about this to my riding buddies they say why bother just get a different bike. They have a point in that the bike only fufills all these roles because i switch out stems, bars, forks etc. it takes a bit of time but i get a certain satisfaction making 1 bike do it all. Obviously i am not going to be the fastest i can be on roads without buying a dedicated road bike, nor handle the best off road without buying a full sus mtb, but its really fun using 1 bike for everything.
One bike: A sturdy endurance road bike with the ability to mount a lightweight rack such as a Tubus Fly Evo. For me, this was an aluminum Cannondale Synapse.

But your needs will be different from mine, possibly.
Old 02-09-20, 01:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Rationally there should be a market for full suspension road bikes, or at least hybrids, that are functional but not premium. Even the cheapest Chinese moped has oil dampers.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-09-20, 01:49 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Rationally there should be a market for full suspension road bikes, or at least hybrids, that are functional but not premium. Even the cheapest Chinese moped has oil dampers.
Suspension is big cost compromise in the scope of a bicycle, and for bicycles where the rider is in a fairly forward posture with their legs supporting their weight, the rider's legs can take away some of the need for rear suspension. On comfort hybrids where the rider is in a more "sitting on a chair" posture, you do often see things like suspension seatposts.
Old 02-09-20, 02:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Saying there "should' be a market for full-suspension road bikes is irrational. There is no market---no demand---because there is no great benefit to the product compared to existing products, and there are significant downsides.

Unless once considers stuff like Future Shock to be "suspension" .... the amount of travel needed to smooth out most paved roads is minimal, but even a little travel is heavy. Since riders provide the motive power (unlike with mopeds) that extra weight is felt immediately---and the people who ride paved roads daily, like commuters, probably don't want to waste any energy unless they are getting a significant advantage---but as we all know (if we ride roads) we generally don't Need suspension.

Sure, a Cadillac ride would be wonderful ... but the old, plush Cadillacs had big, whopping motors and could not corner well at all. Most people who ride on the road to commute don't really want suspension---else there would be a market, and they would constitute that market.

Most recreation riders don't want suspension, and in fact want light bikes.

The only type of rider who would want suspension would be the very relaxed recreation rider ... the low-speed, around-the-block, or ride-the-local-MUP-slowly folks .... and some of them have hybrids with front suspension. The logical disconnect there is that at low speeds, bumps are minor, and for people riding quickly enough for the bumps to matter, they would generally to lift out of the saddle for "suspension" and keep the bike light.

There is simply not a large number of people who are willing to pedal hard to pull the weight of full suspension, at a speed where suspension offers a real benefit, and even for fast riders, most don't ride roads bad enough that suspension is needed at any speed. (There are dedicated gravel bikes with suspension forks, but that is a different discussion.)

There is no "market," because the benefits of F/S are negligible at low speed or over mostly smooth terrain (bumps lower than dropping off a curb, for instance.) F/S is great when taking bigger hits, but not many road riders are regularly hopping curbs or tackling obstacles similar or larger. Sure there are some---and they tend to ride BMX bikes, or "urban assault" bikes, from what I see.

The benefits of F/S simply are not sufficient for most rads and for most riders ... hence there is no market, no demand, no pool of customers. And the few who Might be potential customers seem to be fine with front shocks and fat tires.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-10-20, 03:00 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Open U.P.
Likes For showlow:
Old 02-10-20, 03:05 PM
philboyeee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One bike

I have a Trek Checkpoint. Does everything I need it to. Primarily used for commuting and road riding both solo and in a group. Will be taking it to gravel soon. Simple. I like simple
Old 02-11-20, 11:04 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
My "do anything" bike, or better, my "do anything that I do" bike is a Black Mountain Cycles Road frame built up with Campy Veloce 10-speed. Steel frame and fork, rack mounts, clearance for biggish tires, threaded bb shell. Since this picture was taken I have changed the wheels and tires. It now sports a pair of 30mm Vittoria Rubino Pros on Miche Race wheels (inappropriate name for some solid wheels). At some point I may go with some more old-guy-friendly gearing.
It's not really great at anything, but it's really good at a lot.

Last edited by Oldguyonoldbike; 02-11-20 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 02-11-20, 01:25 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Full sus hybrids are a thing, see Kettler Pendo or Giant X9000.
Old 02-11-20, 01:32 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Can't help you. 9 bikes, just barely getting by. Its a hardship. Its my sport, transportation, escape and my hobby. And my therapy. A Cross check, couple of touring/bikepacking rigs, fat bike, full sus mt bikes etc. All do their job well.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 02-11-20, 02:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Front suspension hybrids (and road bikes) aren't the rule, but they are not rare. After the front hits the pothole the rear hits the same pothole, and the rear has 1.5 or 2x the weight on it. But hardtail designs go back to the dawn of motorcycles, at least. Maybe people perceive the front hit as harder because it's coming through their hands. It's not quite the same as on a mountain bike where you are expected to be out of your seat. There are a number of seat posts, some quite fancy and expensive. I don't know why that's preferred to rear suspension, I've had both kinds on different bikes and the rear suspension is objectively better. The seat posts screw up your pedaling unless you top out the preload. I've asked the same question about road tandems where suspension posts are very popular, because the stoker can't see any hits coming.

I know it's been tried. There was a full squish Cannondale Bad Boy Jekyl many years ago too. But suspension designs are way, way better now, a bike with a short link like Santa Cruz VPP or DW-link pedals really well.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-11-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 12:21 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
If I could only have one bike, it would be a gravel bike with a second wheelset for road tires. My Revolt is fantastic on the road, could use a touch more gearing on the topend, but still has no problems keeping up on A+ group rides.
Old 02-13-20, 10:55 AM
Maelochs

None of my bikes can keep up on A+ rides. I guess I should sell them and get new ones.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-13-20, 01:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If I had to have but one bicycle it'd be my 1980s era MIELE MTB that has been converted to dropbar, V-brakes and interrupter levers. I can put on smooth tread narrow 26" x 1.5" tires for paved road riding or paved road touring; I can use 26" x 2.125" knobby tires for off-road riding or riding in winter on snow; I can put on 26" x 2.125" knobby tires with studs for riding on ice. To me this is the most versatile bike in my stable and I love it.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-14-20, 07:39 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
This one probably setup as a dingle speed, 17-21 2 speed freewheel with 42x46 chain rings 17x46 makes a nice road gearing and 21x42 makes for some hills. Simple and sweet. those Schwalbe Big Apple 700C x 50mm makes a nice plush ride. Cantilever brakes stop well and that Brooks Pro has been changed to a Flyer.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 02-15-20, 05:17 AM
rami_arna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don’t think that’s achievable by one bike. You can almost achieve that by two bikes. A road bike and a mountain bike.
Old 02-15-20, 03:32 PM
RandyBaton

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hard tail 29er for me but I have carbon rigid forks. I commute most days on road but still like to gravel it everyonece in a while. I also have my bar slightly further forward than most MTB's.

Its hard work taking a road bike off road, not so much taking a MTB on road. An off the shelf hybrid is nonsense.
Old 02-15-20, 05:34 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

If I had only one bike ???

Oh you mean only one bicycle..........😆
Old 02-15-20, 05:37 PM
Lman
L-man

If I had only one bike ???

Oh you mean only one bicycle..........😆

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.