Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane experts - Am I nuts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 12:54 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

This is close to me, and at the price I'm considering buying it and replacing the fork:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8240149557236/

This is clearly an '82 or '83 model with Vitus 172 frame. Anybody have an opinion on whether or not the frame itself would be compromised after a collision bad enough to bung the fork up like that? If I do this thing, what size fork would be a reasonable replacement? Would this have a 1" steerer tube?

Or do I just grit my teeth and walk away?
Old 02-19-20, 01:23 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The good news is that you don't need to run a fork with a French steering column; you can run one with BSC threading and use an English threaded HS.

The bad news is that fork looks bad. Offer them $25 and see if they bite. Maybe you have a frame you can work with, maybe you have $25 worth of parts.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-19-20, 01:25 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
That frame could very well be compromised. Only way to know is in person inspection. With a non-French replacement fork, your headset and stem options increase. But again, be wary of any ripples or kinks in the top and down tubes. There are lots of vintage bikes out there without this kind of damage. How much of a project are you looking for?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-19-20, 01:34 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
that looks like it took a hell of a front-ender, and I doubt it was just the fork impacted. I'd carefully look at the top tube and down tube at the head tube to check for cracks in the paint, creases or otherwise.

Looks like a 1983 year. I have an 1980 GR also built w/Vitus 172 same as the one linked above. It's light as hell with a couple of minor hardware tweaks, I think that one could be quite similar.

Edit: Two other things to note, the cockpit is rubber-encased simulating leather, you'd need to cut it off to - for example - remove the stem. It's got a decent array of parts, you could easily break-even selling the parts for the ask price if the frame is trashed.

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-19-20, 01:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
the cockpit is rubber-encased simulating leather, you'd need to cut it off to - for example - remove the stem.
I always cut it and trash it. I find it gross. But many folks like it and can remove/reinstall that tape without damage (so they say).
Old 02-19-20, 01:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
If looks like the paint has cracked and chipped off in the area immediately behind the head lugs.. Almost invariably, this is indicative of bent tubes.
Old 02-19-20, 01:58 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
If looks like the paint has cracked and chipped off in the area immediately behind the head lugs.. Almost invariably, this is indicative of bent tubes.
That's what it looks like to me. "It's dead, Jim".
Likes For davester:
Old 02-19-20, 02:04 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Offer $25. If accepted, strip all the parts, throw parts in box of crap for future use, throw frame in recycling bin.
Old 02-19-20, 02:39 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Sorry to pile on, but I agree that what I see is a parts bike. (Nothing wrong with that, btw!)
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-19-20, 03:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Throw the frame in recycling bin.
In Seattle, at least, it looks like you can do just that ... if the metal bike part is over 3" and you can still close the lid. This is new and recent news to me, as I have always tossed steel bars and the like in the garbage.
​​​​​​
Where Does It Go? - Utilities | seattle.gov
Old 02-19-20, 04:02 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Thanks for the responses, all. That's what I was afraid of. Since I moved a couple of years ago and no longer have a garage to store projects and spare parts I think I'll pass.

I had a full Vitus 172 Grand Jubilee from 1981 that suffered a stress fracture of the seat tube at the bottom bracket after several thousand happy miles. I have since heard from several people that post-1980 Vitus 172 frames were overheated in production and prone to breakage. SOunds like it's not worth my time. The search continues!
Old 02-20-20, 07:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
In Seattle, at least, it looks like you can do just that ... if the metal bike part is over 3" and you can still close the lid. This is new and recent news to me, as I have always tossed steel bars and the like in the garbage.
​​​​​​
Where Does It Go? - Utilities | seattle.gov
I don't know about Seattle but in a lot of communities you can bypass the recycling program and take metals straight to the scrap dealer where they will pay you a set fee per unit weight based on the type of metal and its grade.
Old 02-20-20, 07:56 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't know about Seattle but in a lot of communities you can bypass the recycling program and take metals straight to the scrap dealer where they will pay you a set fee per unit weight based on the type of metal and its grade.
We have a couple of scrap yards in my area. I once bought two bikes from a guy, one an Atala Grand Prix frame for $20. It had severe front end damage, but easily that much in parts hanging from it. Sold a Campy cable guide off of it for $20, among other things. I actually came out ahead on that one after I took it to the scrap yard.
Old 02-20-20, 10:33 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The bike and OP are both in Brooklyn. In NYC, you just put the recycling at the curb on the weekly recycling pick-up day and they pick it up. If it's too big to go in a can or bag (like a bike frame or an engine block, or a stove, etc.), just leave it at the curb and they'll pick it up . . . unless the metal scrappers get to it first.
Old 03-03-20, 09:15 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have a root canal from running my brand new road bike into the back of pinto when I was kid. I was looking down adjusting the gears trying to make the noise go away. When looked up I ran into the back of pinto. Flew of my bars right on the hatch. Just my luck.
It would have been a car with a trunk I would not have broken my tooth half off.

Anyways, my frame doubled over. My forks and everything else where fine. My step dad at the time had a welding shop. He straighten the frame and then put a BMX like gusset between the top and bottom tube.

I would think that frame is bent if it bent the fork.
Old 03-04-20, 04:19 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
For $25-$50 it might be worth it for the parts but I wouldn't bother.
If you do end up buying it at the very least make sure the frame gets cut up so someone else doesn't build it up again.

Originally Posted by davester
That's what it looks like to me. "It's dead, Jim".