Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Top tube dent repairable?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-22-20, 12:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts

This is a 72 paramount frameset. Just wondering if there is any way to ameliorate this dent. I dont have the bike yet.
Old 02-22-20, 12:39 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
This is a 72 paramount frameset. Just wondering if there is any way to ameliorate this dent. I dont have the bike yet.
Send an email to Andy at Yellow Jersey.

He'll ask for pix and dimensions (or just send them with the email). He was confident he could remove the dent from my Voyageur SP. It still makes me sick to think of that dent.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-22-20, 01:41 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Yes, with the correct "re-forming blocks", greased up, clamped in a well-anchored vise and then plenty of elbow-grease applied. But you will lose some paint. Another approach (may work fine since a dent in that location usually is strictly cosmetic and will not affect frame alignment or performance): just remove the paint in and around the dent, fill with your choice filler (I like epoxy putty, sand down until perfect and touch up/blend paint, or cover with a painted band, bar or graphic...a matter of personal choice and style.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 02-22-20, 01:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Thanks guys. Looks like the paint sucks there anyway.
Old 02-22-20, 04:44 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 363 Posts
If you try to fill it without using the blocks first, you;ll find that the "downhill" sides stick out.
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 02-22-20, 05:00 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
I’ve wondered if a stud welder and dent puller (think auto body shop) would work?
Old 02-22-20, 07:20 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ube-dents.html
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 02-22-20, 08:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred
I’ve wondered if a stud welder and dent puller (think auto body shop) would work?
T​​​hinwall tubing, maybe (?), but there's much easier ways already posted are the way to go.

I have aluminum frame blocks to use for this. A hardwood block cut through with a Forstner bit then cut in half would do the trick as well. It won't completly remove the dent, but will minimize it, make the tubing round first, then fill what rolling the dent won't.
Old 02-22-20, 09:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Repairable? Certainly.

Worth the cost and bother? That's up to you.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-22-20, 09:07 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred
I wouldn't use a Fitz-A-Dent on bicycle tubing. The tubing is pretty thin, and the spot welding process may alter the temper of thin, higher-quality tubing (531 or Columbus).
I've rolled the dents with aluminum frame blocks on a couple frames now, with mostly satisfactory results. The dent won't go away completely, but with a little JB weld as filler carefully feathered, it disappears under powdercoat.
Old 02-22-20, 09:23 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I have seen and now own a head tube rolled by Andy Gilmour and then brazed to fill and it is perfect, not cheap but for many frames in my opinion they are worth it, beyond $ and ¢.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-22-20, 09:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

If the frame were going to be repainted anyway, fixing the dent is a no-brainer. If not, it's an expensive cosmetic fix. If you're handy with an aerosol spray can, you could do this as a DIY project.
  1. Roll out the dent as best possible - see the link Chuckk posted above. As noted before, you can make frame blocks out of hardwood and a forstner bit. It won't be quite as good as aluminum frame blocks, but it's a zero cost option for people with a few woodworking tools.
  2. Sand inside the dent and around it to bare metal.
  3. Fill with JB weld, or some other epoxy based filler. Let it harden per instructions (typically a day), carefully file then sand down flush.
  4. Generously sand around the damage
  5. Primer
  6. Paint
To match the paint, automative shops can "paint chip match" to closest color (out of thousands) and make up a spray can for you. Last time I did this it was around $20. If you want an exact match, leave the frame with them and expect to be charged 3-4X as much. Properly done you can get it to 10 foot distance match or better.

I fill dents when the frame is getting other work - repairs, 650b conversions, etc. If you're powder coating, I use silver or brass to fill the dent on the recommendation from Groody Brothers. They've found that sometimes epoxy based filler outgasses when you're heating up the frame to powder coat temperatures.
Old 02-22-20, 11:18 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Keeping something like a '72 Paramount as a beater can be a good thing...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-23-20, 02:18 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

You guys are inspiring. When i pick it up i will post more pics. I want to set this up as my around town bike. It is coming with honjo fenders and an old schwinn saddle bag. Nitto north road style bars as well as the original seatpost, crank and a brooks.

Currently set up as a three speed

Serial no.

Bag
Old 02-23-20, 02:21 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

very inspiring thread!
Old 02-23-20, 02:25 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by gugie
If the frame were going to be repainted anyway, fixing the dent is a no-brainer. If not, it's an expensive cosmetic fix. If you're handy with an aerosol spray can, you could do this as a DIY project.
  1. Roll out the dent as best possible - see the link Chuckk posted above. As noted before, you can make frame blocks out of hardwood and a forstner bit. It won't be quite as good as aluminum frame blocks, but it's a zero cost option for people with a few woodworking tools.
  2. Sand inside the dent and around it to bare metal.
  3. Fill with JB weld, or some other epoxy based filler. Let it harden per instructions (typically a day), carefully file then sand down flush.
  4. Generously sand around the damage
  5. Primer
  6. Paint
To match the paint, automative shops can "paint chip match" to closest color (out of thousands) and make up a spray can for you. Last time I did this it was around $20. If you want an exact match, leave the frame with them and expect to be charged 3-4X as much. Properly done you can get it to 10 foot distance match or better.

I fill dents when the frame is getting other work - repairs, 650b conversions, etc. If you're powder coating, I use silver or brass to fill the dent on the recommendation from Groody Brothers. They've found that sometimes epoxy based filler outgasses when you're heating up the frame to powder coat temperatures.
what is a good source for the frame blocks? I have an excellent vice. I am assuming i need 1 inch blocks for a 531 top tube?
Old 02-23-20, 05:39 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
I have fixed many but keep in mind that if you plan to powdercoat in the future brazing or metalab must be used.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 02-23-20, 09:32 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Doesn't have to be powder coat, paint works just fine. If the rest of the paint job is acceptable, you can even paint just the tube between the lug edges.
A buddy did that to a Schwinn which we rolled that somebody had wacked along the top tube five or six times.
Testors orange spray matched exactly, and you can't tell that it ever looked like a zipper.

Last edited by Chuckk; 02-23-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-23-20, 09:32 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
what is a good source for the frame blocks? I have an excellent vice. I am assuming i need 1 inch blocks for a 531 top tube?
Dave Bohm used to sell wood frame holding blocks but I don't know if he still does. The aluminum blocks are sold by Paragon Machine works that makes frame building bits and accessories. I've made my own wood blocks. If you can do that I can provide instructions.

A wood block is one of the basic tools every frame builder needs to own. It is how you hold a frame while working on it in a vise. In the picture on the left is the 1" wood block I use when a frame building class student is holding something to be brazed. Often their beginning torch handling skills lets the flame wander way off target and the wood block can suffer. The next block is for them when they are filing. Old broken-in blocks have just the right amount of stickiness to hold a position but still able to move without changing the vise clamp pressure. The 3rd from the left is my personal one I usually put away when students come so it doesn't get more damaged. The aluminum one I bought from Paragon Machine Works.

If I am taking out a dent, I start with the wood blocks that are a bit more forgiving. After that I use the aluminum one to get it as round as possible and finally I add some silver that isn't designed for strength but will fit a dent nicely. I got it from Cycle Design. When I was learning to build frames in England many years ago we often got frames in for repair and repainting and it was common we would fill dents with brass (actually bronze but in the States we call is brass).
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 02-23-20, 07:35 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The aluminum blocks are sold by Paragon Machine works that makes frame building bits and accessories. The aluminum one I bought from Paragon Machine Works.
I bought my aluminum blocks from Paragon, as well. Dirt cheap IMHO.
Old 02-23-20, 07:51 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by gugie
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I have fixed many but keep in mind that if you plan to powdercoat in the future brazing or metalab must be used.
I don't choose to disagree with you lightly, Gugie. You're a world-class craftsman in my book, and you're one of the few guys who are actually doing this stuff.

If you're doing a restoration on a premium or historically significant frame (like a Paramount), then by all means have a frame builder fill the rolled remains of the dent with silver or brass. It's the best way to fill a dent in bike frame tubing, period. That's what I did with my '29 Cyrus-Great Western.

However if you're working on a budget to get a decent classic frame presentable again, you can indeed use JB Weld under powdercoat (or paint). It holds a static charge like metal, and holds up just fine to the 400 deg. F used for most powdercoating.
I've done a couple of frames this way with very nice results. More importantly, my powdercoat guy has done dozens. He's also filled sizeable dents in motorcycle tanks this way as well. I don't know what type of epoxies Groody Bros. has had trouble with, but I haven't seen any.

Last edited by Hudson308; 02-24-20 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added pic
Likes For Hudson308:
Old 02-23-20, 08:04 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
When I was learning to build frames in England many years ago we often got frames in for repair and repainting and it was common we would fill dents with brass (actually bronze but in the States we call is brass).
Oddly enough, LFB/Sifbronze is actually brass if you go by the tin/zinc distinction but it's called bronze by tradition.
Old 02-23-20, 11:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Hudson308
I don't choose to disagree with you lightly, Gugie. You're a world-class craftsman in my book, and you're one of the few guys who are actually doing this stuff.

If you're doing a restoration on a premium or historically significant frame (like a Paramount), then by all means have a frame builder fill the rolled remains of the dent with silver or brass. It's the best way to fill a dent in bike frame tubing, period. That's what I did with my '29 Cyrus-Great Western.

However if you're working on a budget to get a decent classic frame presentable again, you can indeed use JB Weld under powdercoat (or paint). It holds a static charge like metal, and holds up just fine to the 400 deg. F used for most powdercoating.
I've done a couple of frames this way with very nice results. More importantly, my powdercoat guy has done dozens. He's also filled sizeable dents in motorcycle tanks this way as well. I don't know what type of epoxies Groody Bros. has had trouble with, but I haven't seen any.
That's pretty wise counsel. It's not a whole lot more work for me to fill using silver or brass, whereas just about anyone can mix up some JB Weld and apply it. I too have filled several frame dents with JB Weld with no issues, so for most people and most frames, have at it. The worst thing that can happen is some irregularities at the site of the dent.
Old 02-23-20, 11:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Doesn't have to be powder coat, paint works just fine. If the rest of the paint job is acceptable, you can even paint just the tube between the lug edges.
A buddy did that to a Schwinn which we rolled that somebody had wacked along the top tube five or six times.
Testors orange spray matched exactly, and you can't tell that it ever looked like a zipper.
That's a good trick. Even reasonably experienced DIY house painters know that if you get paint that's a close match, don't just paint a patched area, paint the entire wall. The difference in lighting will make it unnoticable.
Old 02-24-20, 04:00 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I'll order some blocks and get it in a little better shape than it is now. Ty everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.