Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike cover with frame locking holes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 08:51 PM
EasyRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a bike cover with holes near the center or top of the cover for locking the frame? So far all I've seen are wheel holes, which will likely get any bike stolen quickly. I have a u-lock, so it would need two holes on either side of the cover next to or above one another. This would be when locking at home.
Old 05-01-18, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Why would you want to leave your bike locked outside overnight like a garbage can? Bring the bike in and it will be in much better shape overall. The rain coming down is only one part of bikes getting ruined outside the big one people don't always think about is humidity coming up from the ground and general temp changes. Also thieves have a much easier time stealing bikes at night because it is dark and most folks are in bed or away from the locked bikes.

Bring the bike inside. There are tons of storage options even for folks with limited space and generally unless your house gets broken into your less likely to get your bike stolen and it generally won't rust inside.
Old 05-01-18, 10:45 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Outd...dp/B06WW14T9P/

SAFE & SECURE FIT - Front lock-hole design for either cable, chain or U/D-locks for extra security.
Just use a longer chain, if this is for storage at home.
Old 02-25-20, 11:04 AM
Annabel Herbert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Covers

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why would you want to leave your bike locked outside overnight like a garbage can? Bring the bike in and it will be in much better shape overall. The rain coming down is only one part of bikes getting ruined outside the big one people don't always think about is humidity coming up from the ground and general temp changes. Also thieves have a much easier time stealing bikes at night because it is dark and most folks are in bed or away from the locked bikes.

Bring the bike inside. There are tons of storage options even for folks with limited space and generally unless your house gets broken into your less likely to get your bike stolen and it generally won't rust inside.

Why would you need a bike cover if you keep your bike inside? Personally it drives me mad having bikes inside my flat - there's nowhere its not in the way
Old 02-25-20, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Annabel Herbert
Why would you need a bike cover if you keep your bike inside? Personally it drives me mad having bikes inside my flat - there's nowhere its not in the way
You would not need one and should never need one as a bike being stored outside will do damage to the bike and make it a very easy theft target. I get that some people have issues in finding good storage for their bikes but there are plenty of neat options to store bikes that some have not tried or seen yet. If you are absolutely desperate and for some odd reason cannot store a bike inside then make sure you are frequently maintaining the bike either on your own or at a shop and by regularly I would do probably once a month especially in especially bad weather times. You will be replacing any rubber and housing quite frequently and will need plenty of chain lube as that chain will get nice and rusty sitting outside especially in humidity but also with anything coming down. Cables will also need to be relubricated more often (regular Tri-Flow is good for that). I would also make sure to pull and regrease bearings and any bolts and threaded items with regularity.

A lot of especially cheaper black anodized parts can change color sitting in the sun. Plastic will also yellow and damage as well so keep that in mind with outdoor storage.

Just FYI this thread was from 2018 and has not been updated since. In the future please be careful when responding to posts if you don't see any activity for 2 months you might just want to start a new thread or let it go.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-26-20, 07:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Annabel Herbert
Welcome to bikeforums, Annabel Herbert ! Ignore the haters; comment on whatever thread you want, no matter how old. An old thread is new to some-one who hasn't read it before.

Regarding storing a bike inside or outside...everybody's siuation is different, and the great thing about bikeforums.net, is that is offers suggestions that can help make anybody's situation better. Sometime that requires one to search through old threads...sometimes it requires one to suffer the iconoclastic rants of individuals who lack empathy or the ability to consider situations outside of their own, or just lack good manners.

To respond to the post from EasyRide , a post less than two years old, and a post I did not see originally...Most hardware stores or camping goods stores (or the internet) will have metal and plastic grommet kits. They specifically are made for putting holes in tarps to allow staking, or tying them down. There should be kits that allow holes big enough for lock pass-throughs, but if not, I always find a little ingenuity will solve any problem (more often than smug derision does).

Since you used the word "flat", I will say "cheers!" and welcome again to bikeforums!
Old 02-26-20, 03:22 PM
Annabel Herbert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Welcome to bikeforums, Annabel Herbert ! Ignore the haters; comment on whatever thread you want, no matter how old. An old thread is new to some-one who hasn't read it before.

Regarding storing a bike inside or outside...everybody's siuation is different, and the great thing about bikeforums.net, is that is offers suggestions that can help make anybody's situation better. Sometime that requires one to search through old threads...sometimes it requires one to suffer the iconoclastic rants of individuals who lack empathy or the ability to consider situations outside of their own, or just lack good manners.

To respond to the post from EasyRide , a post less than two years old, and a post I did not see originally...Most hardware stores or camping goods stores (or the internet) will have metal and plastic grommet kits. They specifically are made for putting holes in tarps to allow staking, or tying them down. There should be kits that allow holes big enough for lock pass-throughs, but if not, I always find a little ingenuity will solve any problem (more often than smug derision does).

Since you used the word "flat", I will say "cheers!" and welcome again to bikeforums!
That's a lovely welcome! Thank you so much and thank you for that advice - of course why hadn't I thought of that! A little ingenuity is exactly whats needed here I think. Cheers to you too and thanks again for the welcome!
Old 02-27-20, 09:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just FYI this thread was from 2018 and has not been updated since. In the future please be careful when responding to posts if you don't see any activity for 2 months you might just want to start a new thread or let it go.
Answer me this: While you're checking the dates, why don't you just skip over the posts that you think won't interest you? That's what I do.
Old 02-27-20, 04:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Answer me this: While you're checking the dates, why don't you just skip over the posts that you think won't interest you? That's what I do.
Sure good idea but when someone responds to an old post of your's and quotes it then you notice it as it comes up when you log in. Being a zombie is great for movies and T.V. programs but not so good on a forum.
Likes For veganbikes: