Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe Clips or MTB Cleats for Urban Riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe Clips or MTB Cleats for Urban Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 07:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Meh,ride what works for you.
95% of my riding is urban and I urban commute with 2 sided spd, never had an issue. I have spd, clips, and platforms on various bikes.
With 2 sided I'll ride in everything from sandals to Sorels.
You want quick acceleration? Downshift. I don't know how many people I see trying to take off from lights halfway down their cassette.

If you do a search there are probably 50 threads on this dead horse subject on BF.

Pro Tip - When quoting a reply with numerous images, delete the images so we don't have to scroll through the same pictures 10X.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-07-20, 09:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
That I basically my question, trying to stay neutral, if you are doing Urban Riding exclusively, is it worth investing $200 a $300 in a MTB Cleat System for what benefits it provides?
I'd say, "No." (I realize you probably don't want to hear from me again, but so what?) If you just ride in an urban environment .... by which i mean a dense, high-traffic road system with a lot of lights and side streets, driveways, people stepping off the curb or pulling out of roadside parking spots without looking .... the tiny percentage you might gain from lifting to start a sprint is offset that first stroke or two when you aren't clipped in. Always downshift to a good starting gear when you stop and flat pedals will give you a better launch in my experience, which of course is purely personal and possibly poorly analyzed.)

I think I have about $120 in a set of XT pedals and Lake shoes (XX wide) but I had to shop forever to find them at bargain-basement prices, so the time spent shopping might bring the price up to the $200 retail you mention. I also got some Nashbar cycling sandals for about $40, but again .... months of shopping. A pair of regular Teva sandals (or any brand with a very stiff sole) works as well .... sneakers are great, but the teeth on flat pedals will tear them up after a while. So ... I wore $20 K-Mart sneakers and blew through a pair each season or so ....

And you can get excellent flat pedals for $20, and they last almost forever. if cost is a consideration .... easy choice. If performance is also on the table, same choice (IMO.)

Only if you were to do any other kind of riding where foot retention and a very smooth, circular pedal stroke were to outweigh quick reaction times and easy egress, would I say considering cleats made sense.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-07-20, 10:03 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I'd say, "No." (I realize you probably don't want to hear from me again, but so what?) If you just ride in an urban environment .... by which i mean a dense, high-traffic road system with a lot of lights and side streets, driveways, people stepping off the curb or pulling out of roadside parking spots without looking .... the tiny percentage you might gain from lifting to start a sprint is offset that first stroke or two when you aren't clipped in. Always downshift to a good starting gear when you stop and flat pedals will give you a better launch in my experience, which of course is purely personal and possibly poorly analyzed.)

I think I have about $120 in a set of XT pedals and Lake shoes (XX wide) but I had to shop forever to find them at bargain-basement prices, so the time spent shopping might bring the price up to the $200 retail you mention. I also got some Nashbar cycling sandals for about $40, but again .... months of shopping. A pair of regular Teva sandals (or any brand with a very stiff sole) works as well .... sneakers are great, but the teeth on flat pedals will tear them up after a while. So ... I wore $20 K-Mart sneakers and blew through a pair each season or so ....

And you can get excellent flat pedals for $20, and they last almost forever. if cost is a consideration .... easy choice. If performance is also on the table, same choice (IMO.)

Only if you were to do any other kind of riding where foot retention and a very smooth, circular pedal stroke were to outweigh quick reaction times and easy egress, would I say considering cleats made sense.
That all makes sense.
Likes For mjac:
Old 03-07-20, 07:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That I basically my question, trying to stay neutral, if you are doing Urban Riding exclusively, is it worth investing $200 a $300 in a MTB Cleat System for what benefits it provides? Or is it more cost effective to go straight platform or toe clips and straps.

For me personally it has nothing to do with cost or money... It's all about personal preference, I just don't want to use clipless, that's all....There is no right or wrong here, use whatever pedals you feel are comfortable for you and satisfy your riding needs, it makes no difference what somebody else is using... I've used pinned platform pedals without foot retention for all kinds of riding including: urban commuting, mountain biking, fixed gear riding, 100 mile centuries in rural areas, gravel rides and it worked out fine. Nobody is going to convince me that I need clipless to ride my bike, because I know from experience that I don't need them.
Old 03-07-20, 08:46 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by wolfchild
For me personally it has nothing to do with cost or money... It's all about personal preference, I just don't want to use clipless, that's all....There is no right or wrong here, use whatever pedals you feel are comfortable for you and satisfy your riding needs, it makes no difference what somebody else is using... I've used pinned platform pedals without foot retention for all kinds of riding including: urban commuting, mountain biking, fixed gear riding, 100 mile centuries in rural areas, gravel rides and it worked out fine. Nobody is going to convince me that I need clipless to ride my bike, because I know from experience that I don't need them.
That is my point, it isn't absolutely necessary to spend $200 - $300 to have a good ride. You chose to go platform because it was a better ride for you. Not because it was cheaper. Probably safer to. At least in urban areas.
Old 03-10-20, 07:55 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
We are having a debate here. Please list the advantages and disadvantages of using Toe Clips and Straps for Urban Riding and the advantages and is disadvantages of using recessed MTB Cleats for Urban Riding. Including problems with the Toe Clip Strap hanging up or Toe Clip hindering a Bailout and MTB Cleats not cleating up or not uncleating causing a problem. What incidents have you had with either that created an unsafe situation? Compare costs, ease of use, maintenance and safety...Thanks,mjac
i run clipless pedals most of the time: commuting, rec riding, racing. I go with flat pedals while running errands or anytime i spend more time off the bike than on. I also like flat pedals in extremely cold weather because having Your cleats freeze into your pedals is no fun.
Old 03-10-20, 08:17 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
i run clipless pedals most of the time: commuting, rec riding, racing. I go with flat pedals while running errands or anytime i spend more time off the bike than on. I also like flat pedals in extremely cold weather because having Your cleats freeze into your pedals is no fun.
Everyone has their preferences for the type of riding they do. The question was, if you do urban riding exclusively would it be worth investing $200 - $300 in a Clipless system for the benefits it provides. Would it be worth it if that is the only type of riding you did? '
Old 03-10-20, 08:24 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Everyone has their preferences for the type of riding they do. The question was, if you do urban riding exclusively would it be worth investing $200 - $300 in a Clipless system for the benefits it provides. Would it be worth it if that is the only type of riding you did? '
No
Old 03-10-20, 08:44 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
No
Thats the impression I got. But I guesse if you do a variety of riding a two sided MTB Pedal would make sense.
Old 03-10-20, 10:28 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
We are having a debate here. Please list the advantages and disadvantages of using Toe Clips and Straps for Urban Riding and the advantages and is disadvantages of using recessed MTB Cleats for Urban Riding. Including problems with the Toe Clip Strap hanging up or Toe Clip hindering a Bailout and MTB Cleats not cleating up or not uncleating causing a problem. What incidents have you had with either that created an unsafe situation? Compare costs, ease of use, maintenance and safety...Thanks,mjac
While SPD are slightly easier to disengage and easier to engage (compared to SPD-SL) since SPD pedals are dual sided they are still not as easy as toe clips. For me it would come down to what urban means and how much you would be disengaging, ie if there are a ton of Stop signs, traffic, lights and also how efficient you want to be. Only you can really figure that out
Old 03-10-20, 10:54 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Jrasero
While SPD are slightly easier to disengage and easier to engage (compared to SPD-SL) since SPD pedals are dual sided they are still not as easy as toe clips. For me it would come down to what urban means and how much you would be disengaging, ie if there are a ton of Stop signs, traffic, lights and also how efficient you want to be. Only you can really figure that out
I understand what you are saying. The point was, riding on city streets with everything that incurs and that is the only type of riding you do, is gaining that little bit of efficiency from a Clipless system worth $200 - $300? I guesse that is a question everyone has the answer for themselves. But the point I was missing is that I was saying city riding exclusively and I think people were answering from the point they do other riding too so they like dual sided pedals.
Old 03-10-20, 03:09 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I understand what you are saying. The point was, riding on city streets with everything that incurs and that is the only type of riding you do, is gaining that little bit of efficiency from a Clipless system worth $200 - $300? I guesse that is a question everyone has the answer for themselves. But the point I was missing is that I was saying city riding exclusively and I think people were answering from the point they do other riding too so they like dual sided pedals.
Yeah going clipless aint cheap. With that being said SPD aren't that much more efficient but can cost a lot more. So yeah it seems like you are leaning to toe clips
Old 03-10-20, 04:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I think something to consider is how often you'd be unclipping/disengaging a foot from a pedal. I also think that the less often you do that, the greater the chance of not being able to do it in an emergency/panic stop especially if the foot you're trying to disengage is in a pedal on the crankarm at the 12 o'clock position. I know that a few times I failed to get out of a clipless pedal before falling over that's what happened to me. I stopped suddenly and the bike leaned to one side and that pedal was at the 12 o'clock position on the crankarm (crank arm was straight up and down or very close to it) and I couldn't twist that foot out of the pedal.

Cheers
Old 03-10-20, 04:40 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
....especially if the foot you're trying to disengage is in a pedal on the crankarm at the 12 o'clock position. I know that a few times I failed to get out of a clipless pedal before falling over that's what happened to me.
A few times at 12:00? How many times at other o’clocks???

They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but damn if there aren’t some slow learners.

-mr. bill
Old 03-10-20, 06:12 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Jrasero
Yeah going clipless aint cheap. With that being said SPD aren't that much more efficient but can cost a lot more. So yeah it seems like you are leaning to toe clips
Its me and Toe Clips. I love em. Old fashion, retro, most cost effective, pretty efficient, pretty safe when worn right, can fiddle wth them for foot placement and retention,look cool, wear any shoe, did I say hardly cost anything... good city riding pedal.
Old 03-10-20, 06:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Five Tens

just go buy them and the rest is history
Old 03-11-20, 12:27 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Shimano pedals/ cleats $27

Shimano shoes $85

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-PDM52...%2C721&sr=8-42

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Men-s...8-5&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by woodcraft; 03-11-20 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 06:37 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Point well taken. You can possibly get in for around $100 if you hustled. But it was stated repeatedly by Clipless pedal users that for reliability and safety riding in the city with all of its hazards they wanted a multi directional disengage pedal, with an adjustable spring tension and a particular type of Shimano Cleat. Not being that familiar with these systems what would the cost be for something that fit that bill? There are those that spend well in access of $200. In the other extreme you can get in toe clips and straps for $3 at a COOP. I have actually done that. That is all I am saying. A beginning rider, what is their choice to make riding more accessable?
Old 03-11-20, 09:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Point well taken. You can possibly get in for around $100 if you hustled. But it was stated repeatedly by Clipless pedal users that for reliability and safety riding in the city with all of its hazards they wanted a multi directional disengage pedal, with an adjustable spring tension and a particular type of Shimano Cleat. Not being that familiar with these systems what would the cost be for something that fit that bill? There are those that spend well in access of $200. In the other extreme you can get in toe clips and straps for $3 at a COOP. I have actually done that. That is all I am saying. A beginning rider, what is their choice to make riding more accessable?

For reliability and safety, you need quality toe clips and straps. Those $3 ones are probably not safe. Plus, you still need pedals and shoes for the cost comparison...

Toe clips $30, Toe straps $105

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...uble-toe-clips

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ble-toe-straps
Old 03-11-20, 09:56 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by woodcraft
For reliability and safety, you need quality toe clips and straps. Those $3 ones are probably not safe. Plus, you still need pedals and shoes for the cost comparison...

Toe clips $30, Toe straps $105

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...uble-toe-clips

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ble-toe-straps
That is just not true. Now you have to hunt and dig through the bins at the COOP but I came up with a pair of heavy duty nylon toe clips with double stems coming off the top and a real nice bevel on the toe ends to receive the curve of the shoe. Which is why I like them even better then MKS Steel with their single stem and no bevel. They are short, I could not get a custom length but a couple of 1/4" toe clip spacers put them in the right place. The straps were heavy duty double "Soma" straps with heavy duty double buckles that I cut down to make 4 straps. Got all of that for about $3 because it was a part of other things purchased. Now this may not be typical, that is why I called it the other extreme.
Old 03-11-20, 01:09 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
. A beginning rider, what is their choice to make riding more accessable?
BMX pedals.

Seriously, if you’ve never ridden a bike before, BMX flats. If you want an inexpensive upgrade from the generic plastic pedals that come on most bikes, that’s the way to go.

If you are a budding enthusiast rider, then there’s no requirement to ride toe clips first If you wasn’t to try clipless. I’ve ridden both, the learning curve is about the same for both, clipless is a little more difficult the first couple of rides, but IMHO, you get better faster.

The only real, measurable difference is cost. Like others have said, with a little bit of savvy, you can get a setup for ~$100. Toe clips, as you know, can be damn near free.

Unless you’re riding Eroica or Keirin events where clipless pedals are prohibited by traditional regulation, toe clips have almost no real advantage.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-11-20, 01:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That is just not true. Now you have to hunt and dig through the bins at the COOP but I came up with a pair of heavy duty nylon toe clips with double stems coming off the top and a real nice bevel on the toe ends to receive the curve of the shoe. Which is why I like them even better then MKS Steel with their single stem and no bevel. They are short, I could not get a custom length but a couple of 1/4" toe clip spacers put them in the right place. The straps were heavy duty double "Soma" straps with heavy duty double buckles that I cut down to make 4 straps. Got all of that for about $3 because it was a part of other things purchased. Now this may not be typical, that is why I called it the other extreme.
Too bad you cut apart those fantastic TRACK toe-straps. Your find and prices are not usual. many bicycle co-ops have very little in the line of toe-clips and or toe-straps. Also, you have to be very careful using used toe-straps from a co-op as those toe-straps may be well used, not taken care of or otherwise damaged in a way you don't see.

Another thing.Watch out for those sharp corners on the metal pedal covers you made. If your foot slips off that pedal, especially to the outside, you could end up with a nasty scrape or cut on your leg.

Btw, you can buy a platform that clips onto a clipless pedal so that you can use regular street shoes, boots or whatever else you like on the clipess pedals.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-11-20, 04:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Those pedals look very slippery and dangerous. Why the heck would anyone cover their pedals with a piece of sheet metal which has no grip at all ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-11-20, 04:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Too bad you cut apart those fantastic TRACK toe-straps. Your find and prices are not usual. many bicycle co-ops have very little in the line of toe-clips and or toe-straps. Also, you have to be very careful using used toe-straps from a co-op as those toe-straps may be well used, not taken care of or otherwise damaged in a way you don't see.

Another thing.Watch out for those sharp corners on the metal pedal covers you made. If your foot slips off that pedal, especially to the outside, you could end up with a nasty scrape or cut on your leg.

Btw, you can buy a platform that clips onto a clipless pedal so that you can use regular street shoes, boots or whatever else you like on the clipess pedals.

Cheers
Doesn't look grippy enough, they would be very slippery in wet weather...The only platform pedals which provide good secure grip are BMX or MTB style platform pedals with a lot of pins in them.
Old 03-11-20, 05:27 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Those pedals look very slippery and dangerous. Why the heck would anyone cover their pedals with a piece of sheet metal which has no grip at all ??
That is not sheet metal, it is 1/16" aluminum double bent to slip over the rails. Wanted a broad platform pedal to support the whole ball of the foot which happens to be the concept for the next generation of pedals that pros are starting to adopt.(Catalyst) I can not stand the serations on the rails digging into my feet. I have found people's claims of the need for foot retention with serrated rails with toe clips to be greatly exaggerated. There is absolutely no problem with foot retention at all and contrary to being dangerous, it is much safer because there is nothing for the foot to get hung up on during extraction or engaging the toe clip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.