Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 03-17-20, 05:08 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
8.1 miles around the neighborhood on my Rockhopper urban Cruiser .
Old 03-17-20, 06:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had the Luck of the Irish with me today. I rode 62 miles from our house over to visit my Mother in Law on her Birthday. It was drizzling at the start but the longer I rode the nicer the weather got. The sun even made an appearance towards the end.

Not even an unplanned longish detour for a closed road could spoil the ride. It just meant riding some roads I hadn’t ridden in a while. Stopped along the way for more photos than normal.

I also rode some new to me roads near Southmont along High Rock Lake. It was curvy and hilly which made it fun. Just a great day to be outside riding NC’s rural roads!

Gotta love goats

Today’s bike of choice. What a great riding bike.

Gold Hill, NC.

Same view as Saturday just a different bike.

Stopped for a nature break.

Lake view

Lake life!

RR tracks running between the highway and the lake.

Ride the rails???

Temporary guy after the tornado damage several weeks ago.
Old 03-17-20, 06:56 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Only 16 miles, still getting my legs and it was cold and the wind cut. I normally wouldn't have rode in the cold but it was my birthday and I am glad I did.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 03-17-20, 10:37 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Yeah..... in my garage. lol
IMG_2285 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Nice sticker collection too.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 03-18-20, 07:39 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Nice sticker collection too.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-20, 03:56 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Did not as I find riding inside a garage on a trainer pretty boring. So I got some climbing in with a nice 4 and a half mile walk up our hilly street with 20% grades, all the way to the San Andreas Faultline in our local reservoir, and back. The fault runs right through this bridge. It was nice to be out in a peaceful setting:
IMG_2303 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-18-20, 09:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Over to the next town. Spring trying to come thru again, but still at/near freezing at night. High40’s-50’s for the ride. Murals about. Sun is good.
Love the compact double for steeper hills around here. Gotta man up later in the year to ride classic gearing 52/42 & 14/26.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-18-20 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-20-20, 07:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Out again today on Calfee. Since starting up recently after the Winter lay-off, been riding every other day to avoid an early season muscular setback. Just short of 30 mi with some hills and my end of ride climb home.

A little hard packed trail mixed with road and even a few miles on a MUP.

The river widened itself in the Winter flooding.
Old 03-21-20, 06:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

A beautiful day to be anti social. One of my past regular training routes from the house to Morrow Mountain and back. For some reason it look longer than used to??? 106 miles with 6500’ of hills.

It was really neat seeing so many people outside with their families. The parking lot down at the bottom beside the lake was busy with hikers....people of all ages. There weren’t many parking spaces up top on Morrow Mountain with a lot of families picnicking and enjoying the views.

The bathrooms were closed in the Morrow Mountain park and I’d planned to get water there. So my first refill wasn’t until mile 70.....and a warmer day than normal, too.

On the way back there was a grandmother riding a step through bike along with her grandkids with training wheels in a church parking lot. Around a farm pond not far away there were 10-12 kids fishing. There was another family playing softball in their front yard. Coming back through Concord there were a lot more people walking, running and riding bikes. The general population might just come out of this thing healthier than before!!!

Destination! Today’s bike choice.

A view from up top looking in the direction I came from.

A selfie up top with the Lake in the background.

Lunch.

Beautiful white puffy clouds on the ride back.

Pink blossoms were abundant today.

It was closed!

Our church and NO I was NOT a charter member.

Testing to see if pollen reduces surface friction and makes you faster.
Old 03-23-20, 11:11 AM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Yesterday morning, at 53 years old, I took my first non-trial bike ride in about 30 years, around a trail I've regularly hiked. Later in the afternoon I also went for a ride on a paved rail trail. I'm hoping to take a ride today, but's cold and raining. Hopefully I'll get a chance if the trails aren't too busy.

I've wanted to get back to riding for a long time, but I needed to drop a lot of weight before doing so. And I have. Still have a bit further to go, though, and hopefully the bike will help (especially without being able to go to a gym).

Anyway, some things I learned on the first day:
  • moderate uphill and downhill sections I was aware of while hiking are a lot more pronounced on a bike.
  • Biking uses a lot more muscles that an exercise bike. Or at least more body parts get a bit sore.
  • I should get a bike rack for my car. Removing and installing the front wheel is more involved (with risk of complications if I accidentally engage the front brake with nothing there), at least compared to my early 90s Schwinn road bike. And I broke the handlebar reflector before my first ride.
  • I need to re-learn to look behind me and not swerve, especially on the rail trail.
  • You don't need to be going that fast for it to feel much cooler.
  • It's more fun than I remembered, especially with more available trails and many options away from motor vehicle traffic.

Bonus picture on the rail trail later in the day.
Old 03-23-20, 01:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Sertsa
Yesterday morning, at 53 years old, I took my first non-trial bike ride in about 30 years, around a trail I've regularly hiked. Later in the afternoon I also went for a ride on a paved rail trail. I'm hoping to take a ride today, but's cold and raining. Hopefully I'll get a chance if the trails aren't too busy.

I've wanted to get back to riding for a long time, but I needed to drop a lot of weight before doing so. And I have. Still have a bit further to go, though, and hopefully the bike will help (especially without being able to go to a gym).

Anyway, some things I learned on the first day:
  • moderate uphill and downhill sections I was aware of while hiking are a lot more pronounced on a bike.
  • Biking uses a lot more muscles that an exercise bike. Or at least more body parts get a bit sore.
  • I should get a bike rack for my car. Removing and installing the front wheel is more involved (with risk of complications if I accidentally engage the front brake with nothing there), at least compared to my early 90s Schwinn road bike. And I broke the handlebar reflector before my first ride.
  • I need to re-learn to look behind me and not swerve, especially on the rail trail.
  • You don't need to be going that fast for it to feel much cooler.
  • It's more fun than I remembered, especially with more available trails and many options away from motor vehicle traffic.

Bonus picture on the rail trail later in the day.

Terrific!!! There’s so much to explore out there! Keep it up.
Old 03-23-20, 08:51 PM
rseeker

I had a happy ride today, out and back one direction over the big hill and back, then the same thing on the other side of the valley, up onto the plateau and back. Traffic was down, I'd guess about 25% of normal for a work-day evening, which was very nice. 16 miles, 61F, not quite dark when I finished.

My "new" bike, about nine months old now, allows me to do out and back on that one hill, which I *never* did on the old bike, the return face was too steep, just impossible. Now it's still a test of willpower but doable. Coming down it from the peak reminds me of running waterfalls in a kayak, there's a horizon line beyond which you can see nothing, then down you go.
Old 03-24-20, 07:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Got in about 10miles between the rain/sleet showers yesterday. Three repeats on our hill = 1500' of climbing. Rode a triple chainringed bike as I was feeling girly-manish today. Sorry no pics (besides you've already seen pics of the neighborhood's driveway art).
Old 03-24-20, 05:20 PM
rseeker

Just finished 13 miles, snuck in between thunderstorms and maybe a tornado OTW. 70F, partly cloudy, gray on the horizon, stiff breezes from every direction.

I've been seeing a lot of discarded latex/nitrile gloves on the ground along the roads this week, obviously more than Before.

Last edited by rseeker; 03-24-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 04:52 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Spent some time this morning seeing if I could plot and possibly start building a trail through wooded land my parents own. It won't be easy. And a bit ago I decided to check out a park that has a dedicated mountain bike trail. I made it through the muddy parts, some hills, and one of the narrow boardwalk bridges. Then I came to a narrow, curved, and banked boardwalk bridge with a pretty good drop if I went off. So I chickened out, as I'm not confident enough to attempt that yet, especially at a time when hospitals are strained. I walked the bike down the hill to a nearby gravel trail, then went onto a connecting rail-trail, which turned out to be a nice ride. But yeah, I'm a chicken.

On the downside, I lost the disc brake spacer in the middle console of my car. (I put it in the cupholder area, and it fell in). I folded up some paper to put in the brake. So, in four rides this week I've broken the reflector on the front handlebars and lost the brake spacer. Still having fun, though.
Old 03-25-20, 07:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
24 miles today on ti long wheelbase 'bent with spouse on her Trek Verve+ e-assist. First full day of stay-at-home order in Indiana but walking, running or bike riding allowed by family groups as long as social distancing maintained with others. Very little car traffic, compared to normal times. Quite a few cyclists, solo and in pairs. Beautiful sunny day in low 60s.
Yesterday we rode 14 miles on the 'bent tandem. Cooler and cloudier than today.
Old 03-26-20, 11:07 AM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Brisk (I can’t feel my toes)

Except for a few errand runs, been in a riding slump for several weeks (nah, months). But an upside to this working-from-home bit is that it is providing more opportunity for me to get out and ride. 4 days in a row. If only for a daily 17-mile morning ride. This morning (3/26/20) bright and crisp, 38 degrees. Cold toes are well worth the mental and physical upside.

Old 03-26-20, 12:15 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I got in a 20.7 mile ride yesterday, and will go out today and do similar mileage, though today will be at a slower pace. Yesterday's ride was to measure my FTP, so I held right up against my threshold heart rate for the whole ride.

It was overcast here all morning and in the 50s, but looking outside right now I see the sun has poked out from the clouds, so I'll probably do my ride at lunchtime. It's in the 60s now, so I won't even have to wear my long-sleeved jersey and long-legged bibs.

The route I'm currently riding takes a little over 6 miles to get to a particular neighborhood, so 12 miles round trip not including laps around that neighborhood. The ring road through that neighborhood is 2.1 miles long, so I'll ride to that neighborhood for 12 miles round trip plus however many laps I have time to do. Typically doing 20 or 22 miles this way. My longer routes take me past this neighborhood and get into some quite busy parts of town where I have to cross, and even ride on a couple of fairly major roads on which traffic has increased radically since I started riding that route. I haven't tried the longer (32 mile) route recently, so I'm curious whether traffic on those major roads has declined since the onset of The Apocalypse.
Old 03-26-20, 12:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Temp in high 40s and mostly dry roads by 4PM, so I journeyed out. Kinda even more quiet since the Governor’s speech encouraging all non-essential activities be halted. He did say walking, hiking, cycling encouraged.

Feeling like a triple chainset for Coalfield country!

Park parking lot Open. But playground, ball fields, and restrooms = Closed.

A true Seattle SeaHawks fan - slime green house, would not be my choice.

This State Park only accesses hiking trails, but still closed.

Almost home - major driveway art courtesy of a neighbor I’ve never met. But would like too.
Old 03-26-20, 12:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
14 mile solo ride from home early this afternoon. Two modest hills. Good thing about stay-at-home order is much reduced numbers of cars on the roads.
Old 03-26-20, 04:25 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Hit one of the many trails in our fair city today. This one called Heritage Ranch is a loop popular with cross country skiers. Still plenty of snow in our region as evident in the pics.

Likes For Batstar:
Old 03-26-20, 07:39 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
About 15 miles with 1725' of climbing. Did my normal ride then road half-way down the hill and rode it again since I didn't really have anything else to do and am not going anywhere these days.

On returning home my Edge 830 informed my my VO2 Max had increased to 43 ml/kg/min. Not sure how accurate it is but it keeps going up which gives me a good feeling.
Old 03-27-20, 06:04 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Great ride, lots of sun and temps in the 50's.

Old 03-28-20, 12:07 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Took a ride in the wayback machine this morning

Another day, another bike, another ride. Took my ‘84 Bianchi Professional out for 18 miles this morning. 46 degrees and cloudy. I set the wayback machine to 1985. The trip back in time went great. But for some reason as yet unknown to science, the fabric of cycling jerseys tends to shrink on the return trip forward to the present. Very frustrating.

Likes For Goosecheck:
Old 03-28-20, 08:02 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Did nice 50 miler in beautiful weather. Problem is got new Edge 830 and apparently didn’t set up right as only got speed.

Oh well know the route and distance and Strava tracked for me. Will bring back up 500 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.