Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-01-20, 06:29 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
here's some amusement for folks, adventures in selling kid bike on craiglist. got an email asking to send pictures of the tires. What I really wanted to say is that tires are cheap to replace if for whatever reason you don't like the bike's tires (tread pattern, wear, whatever), but parents who have no idea how bikes are going to wonder about things that don't really matter.
Old 04-01-20, 07:26 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
here's some amusement for folks, adventures in selling kid bike on craiglist. got an email asking to send pictures of the tires. What I really wanted to say is that tires are cheap to replace if for whatever reason you don't like the bike's tires (tread pattern, wear, whatever), but parents who have no idea how bikes are going to wonder about things that don't really matter.
I'd imagine the wanting to see the tires is hoping for an indication of how used the bike is. They don't realize you can change tires and are hoping to see the little nubbins that are on brand new knobbies, which would tell them that the bike was hardly ridden and they can pretend they're giving their kid a new bike.

We have a bunch of baby/toddler stuff that we'd taken pictures of (and I was being lazy about writing ad copy for) to put up on craigslist or nextdoor or whatever. Now it's all spread out in the basement, but I'm holding off on trying to sell it until after this whole social distancing thing is over. My son's 12" balance bike should probably be added to that as he's 5 (and did his first non-training wheel or attached to dad's bike) pedaling for a few yards over the weekend. His older sister's hand me down 16" bike has training wheels and I've been hooking his 16" bike (no training wheels) to the back of mine for about a year now. If he keeps growing and starts riding on his own, I've got a 20" bike that I bought the same time I bought his 16" (and his sister's 24") waiting to give him for his birthday in October. Who knows, maybe by waiting to sell all my baby junk, I'll time it right and be able to get rid of it as the baby boom hits this November.
Old 04-01-20, 08:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife and I have 4 nephews and a niece. The Nephews are all about a year apart - at some point this year, they will be 5,6,7,8. Two are my wife's sister's and two are my brother's. My niece is 1 and my brother's. When the two oldest kids were born, we bought them Strider bikes.

The 6 & 8 year olds (my wife's nephews) love mountain biking. I don't really know how they got hooked, but their dad takes them to the local trails, and they are addicted to RedBull TV and downhill videos on YouTube. A couple weeks ago, I reached out to my sponsor shop who was more than happy to extend my discounts to them, so we helped my brother in law get them two beginner Scott MTBs for their birthday presents. The day we delivered them, they would not get off the bikes. With the gears, they were even able to ride up their very steep driveway, something they had not been able to do before. And their mother has even started allowing them to ride a loop around the neighborhood on their own, and one of them rode his bike to a friend's house. (This is big - for them and for her.)

My brother's kids, the 5 & 7 year olds, have not yet shown any interest in riding a bike. Part of it is because my sister in law is super paranoid about them getting hurt. She'd probably put them in a bubble is she could.

Last night, I got a call from my brother. He bought a bike for the 7 year old and wants him to learn how to ride it. His wife wanted to put training wheels on it, but my brother said no. He needs to learn to ride a bike. He said he read that it can help to take the pedals off so my nephew can learn to coast before pedaling, and asked if I thought that would work. I told him that I heard it was a good strategy, then we faced timed so I could help him take the pedals off - a lot of people don't realize one is reverse threaded. I also had him show me the whole bike, and I pointed out areas where he should double check things were installed properly - like the the front wheel. (The bike came put together from Dicks.)

My brother said he is hoping to make this just between him and my nephew, to keep his wife away from it. We fully expect my nephew to fall a few times as he learns, and if she over reacts to it, we know my nephew will too.

I'm pretty sure my brother was spurred to this decision by my wife's nephews, since they are pretty close in age, and he seemed a bit surprised that the boys were already riding bike trails and geared bikes. I really hope this works out, and my nephew takes to bikes like my wife's nephews have.
Old 04-01-20, 08:15 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Striking the balance between letting your kids get hurt and protecting them is one of the hardest things to get right, in my opinion.

I think my wife tends a little too much towards protection, and she thinks I tend a little too much towards letting them get hurt. So it probably works out about right.

Obviously I'd like to protect them from some of the worst things that I experienced (concussions, big sets of stitches, still no feeling in my eyebrow or chin, broken bones, etc) but some of those things are inevitable if you're doing fun stuff and pushing yourself.
Old 04-01-20, 08:26 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Surprised I didn't post this, but this is the video we used to finally get our son riding, it took longer than 45 mins but over the course of two days I was able to get him to finally go unsupported

Old 04-01-20, 11:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
historically speaking, now isn't the best time to chance getting kids hurts. About the last place you want them is a doctor's office or hospital. PSA
Old 04-01-20, 11:08 AM
Flatballer
No matches

A good point. Yeah, maybe not the best time right now.
Old 04-01-20, 11:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
#olddads
Old 04-01-20, 12:20 PM
Flatballer
No matches

#wisedads more like it.
Old 04-01-20, 12:23 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife and I have 4 nephews and a niece. The Nephews are all about a year apart - at some point this year, they will be 5,6,7,8. Two are my wife's sister's and two are my brother's. My niece is 1 and my brother's. When the two oldest kids were born, we bought them Strider bikes.

The 6 & 8 year olds (my wife's nephews) love mountain biking. I don't really know how they got hooked, but their dad takes them to the local trails, and they are addicted to RedBull TV and downhill videos on YouTube. A couple weeks ago, I reached out to my sponsor shop who was more than happy to extend my discounts to them, so we helped my brother in law get them two beginner Scott MTBs for their birthday presents. The day we delivered them, they would not get off the bikes. With the gears, they were even able to ride up their very steep driveway, something they had not been able to do before. And their mother has even started allowing them to ride a loop around the neighborhood on their own, and one of them rode his bike to a friend's house. (This is big - for them and for her.)

My brother's kids, the 5 & 7 year olds, have not yet shown any interest in riding a bike. Part of it is because my sister in law is super paranoid about them getting hurt. She'd probably put them in a bubble is she could.

Last night, I got a call from my brother. He bought a bike for the 7 year old and wants him to learn how to ride it. His wife wanted to put training wheels on it, but my brother said no. He needs to learn to ride a bike. He said he read that it can help to take the pedals off so my nephew can learn to coast before pedaling, and asked if I thought that would work. I told him that I heard it was a good strategy, then we faced timed so I could help him take the pedals off - a lot of people don't realize one is reverse threaded. I also had him show me the whole bike, and I pointed out areas where he should double check things were installed properly - like the the front wheel. (The bike came put together from Dicks.)

My brother said he is hoping to make this just between him and my nephew, to keep his wife away from it. We fully expect my nephew to fall a few times as he learns, and if she over reacts to it, we know my nephew will too.

I'm pretty sure my brother was spurred to this decision by my wife's nephews, since they are pretty close in age, and he seemed a bit surprised that the boys were already riding bike trails and geared bikes. I really hope this works out, and my nephew takes to bikes like my wife's nephews have.
I tried this with my daughter and it worked like a charm (she'd tried tricycles and with training wheels, but couldn't get the balance down), with one modification. When I just took the pedals off, she was always bumping the cranks. I ended up also taking the crank/bb off as well to make her a lot more comfortable. It helped that I had a chain tool and a spare quicklink (for when it came time to put it back on) handy. These are one piece cranks, so they're a bit more of a pain to deal with (I can't remember if the bb had loose balls or if they were collared). When I put the crankset, chain, and pedals back on after she'd been using it as a balance bike for a while, she took to it the first time she tried and didn't look back. The main thing with her once she got the pedals back on was to have one of us in front of her and keep talking with her and having her look at our faces. Otherwise, they look right down in front of them, their steering goes to crap, and they crash.
Old 04-01-20, 04:01 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I did the standard 'hold the back of the seat and run along with them then let go' to teach my kids to ride on their own. Both of my kids had it down within a day of doing this with a few wipe outs into the grass. It was actually a lot harder on my back then it was on them. The hardest part was to keep them from looking back at me - I was pretty much telling them to look ahead the whole time. I agree it might be best to wait a few months to avoid a Dr. visit.
Likes For cmh:
Old 04-02-20, 09:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Bought some sun sleeves with tattoo pattern. Can't wait to try them out. Tired of the whole take a bath in sunscreen thing. Fit well, good length. A tiny loose at the wrist, but wtf ever, they fit and are decent quality and weren't a fortune.

At least now I can only do the legs/face/neck stuff. Save a little.
Old 04-02-20, 09:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts

I just like the picture. Real ink on the arms. He's actually younger than I am, don't know why the pic made him look so old.
Old 04-03-20, 08:25 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
You could try 4x1 at 400-415W with 1 min between intervals on Saturdays and full-blown Tabatas on Tuesdays.

Everyone seems to have different ideas of Tabatas, but I see them as a 40+ minute Z2/3 warmup then 30s @ a dead-nuts finish line sprint, followed by 30s @ 55% of FTP, repeated 8 times for a total interval time of 8 mins. If you've never done these, they aren't to be taken lightly, nor should you do more than 3-4 weeks of them without taking a break. My breathing generally doesn't return to normal until 15-20 mins after the last interval. You'll need a 4-mile long stretch of flat road with no cars on it. By the 5th interval I find it difficult to maintain a straight line, and by the time I'm done, I'm wobbling around everywhere, unable to focus on anything but turning pedals over. However, Tabatas are the single-most effective way I've ever seen to increase fitness. It's like having a secret weapon.
I called those "dirty 30s". They're brutal.

Tabatas, for me, were always based on the 20s full on, 10s recovery protocol. You get two per minute, a total of eight, for a 4 minute session. The first 3 always seem easy, then the fun starts. To really do them effectively I usually needed to be on a trainer, if I tried to do them on the open road I'd frequently fall over, ride into a ditch, or something else.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 04-03-20, 09:14 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
In this post apocalyptic society, I've developed a new trade which should help me survive.

I thought my Marine Corps rifleman training, boxing and grappling classes, or Boy Scout training would keep us alive, but apparently I hold more value as a barista to my wife.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 04-03-20, 09:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My brother put my nephew on the bike without pedals. He seemed to get the gliding part, but he did fall and hit his crotch on the bike while my SIL was watching. She gasped, and he started crying. My nephew is quick to cry. My brother pointed out that he hadn't started crying until his mom was there. She agreed to go back inside. And my nephew decided he wanted to try it with pedals the next day.

I texted my brother to ask how it went. It did not go well. My brother said my nephew has no balance, and he doubts he will ever learn to ride a bike. At this point, my brother said my nephew may be the first kid ever to be dropped off to college with swimmies, training wheels and velcro shoes.
Old 04-03-20, 10:10 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I can't find the exact example I wanted, but there's a bunch of meme's with "what I thought the apocalypse would be like vs what it looks like" with guys with full tactical loadouts and ammo and everything sitting at their kitchen table with TP and coffee.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 04-03-20, 11:02 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I can't find the exact example I wanted, but there's a bunch of meme's with "what I thought the apocalypse would be like vs what it looks like" with guys with full tactical loadouts and ammo and everything sitting at their kitchen table with TP and coffee.
Some people don't trust the good of man.
Old 04-03-20, 11:27 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My brother put my nephew on the bike without pedals. He seemed to get the gliding part, but he did fall and hit his crotch on the bike while my SIL was watching. She gasped, and he started crying. My nephew is quick to cry. My brother pointed out that he hadn't started crying until his mom was there. She agreed to go back inside. And my nephew decided he wanted to try it with pedals the next day.

I texted my brother to ask how it went. It did not go well. My brother said my nephew has no balance, and he doubts he will ever learn to ride a bike. At this point, my brother said my nephew may be the first kid ever to be dropped off to college with swimmies, training wheels and velcro shoes.
This past weekend, I was pushing my son on his bike and he'd make it maybe 2 pedal rotations after I let go before he stopped. Yesterday, I was standing at one end of the driveway and gave him a push and he'd go maybe 10 yards. Last night, when my wife got home from work, I told her he had something he needed to show her outside (she hadn't seen him ride unassisted at all before). He said he needed to put his helmet on, so I said ok. While waiting for her to come out, I did the whole push thing and he went to the end of the driveway. Did it back the other way.

Then I showed him how he could start himself because he didn't want me to have to push him, and he went out to the end of the driveway. My wife came out, and I asked him if he wanted to try it in the road where the was a longer shot without stopping so he could show her. He wasn't sure, but said ok, He started off on his own, went to the end of our cul de sac (maybe 100 yards away) did 2 laps of the little roundabout there, came back, didn't slow down as he passed us and rode to the other end of the road and back (a bit over 1/4 mile), then did the cul de sac again before we could stop him. Had a giant smile on his face the whole way. I was just shocked silly that before that he'd only gone 10 yards on his own and only with help getting started and suddenly he did about a half mile as if it was nothing. Tried turning onto our driveway and immediately racked himself on top tube hitting the big lip of our drive (our driveway slopes down so the entrance is almost as tall as the curb) and crashed into a bush, but it was awesome. I asked him if he'd been secretly getting up in the middle of the night to practice. My daughter wasn't quite as extreme of a flicking of a switch, but, when they get it, they get it and boom.

Edit: I get you about the parental reaction thing though. When he wiped out at the very end, I saw he wasn't hurt and tried to downplay it so he wouldn't get scared, but my wife ran over and checked out his palms and made a deal about how brave he was being but how we needed to check his hands and get them washed (I didn't see any broken skin). I was just hoping he wasn't going to get scared and not get back in the saddle.

Last edited by himespau; 04-03-20 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-03-20, 11:47 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Likes For Flatballer:
Old 04-03-20, 01:01 PM
furiousferret

I keep telling my wife to avoid her sister. Her social distancing isn't like our social distancing. She has her kids, and they all come in contact with at least 1 person a day and collectively it adds up. For them its just no large social gatherings or browsing at Target.

We just found our her cousin has coronavirus from working at a rest home that has a major outbreak, and someone from that house was over last night. I guess we're going to see how it pans out in the next few days....
Old 04-03-20, 01:04 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Yikes! Sending good smoke that way.
Old 04-03-20, 02:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I keep telling my wife to avoid her sister. Her social distancing isn't like our social distancing. She has her kids, and they all come in contact with at least 1 person a day and collectively it adds up. For them its just no large social gatherings or browsing at Target.

We just found our her cousin has coronavirus from working at a rest home that has a major outbreak, and someone from that house was over last night. I guess we're going to see how it pans out in the next few days....
That really sucks. Sure hope everything is ok.
Old 04-03-20, 03:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
furiousferret That really sucks. Clean all surfaces and points that may have been touched. I suspect you will be okay but sending you some good luck just in case you need it.
Old 04-03-20, 05:13 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Hermes
furiousferret That really sucks. Clean all surfaces and points that may have been touched. I suspect you will be okay but sending you some good luck just in case you need it.
We haven't came in contact with them, so we're good....
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.