Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 04-06-20, 07:22 AM
  #851  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,510

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 275 Posts
Face masks distributed at work by HR.

Regular dust mask, certainly one that doesn't do much.

This thing is uncomfortable.
abshipp is online now  
Old 04-06-20, 07:28 AM
  #852  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Sad
Did you learn from my mistake?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 07:31 AM
  #853  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,510

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Poor Bike Ride Planning: A Cautionary Tale

Today I failed to adequately pre-hydrate for my ride.

As the miles (slowly) went by, my mouth became dry. I thought about getting a drink. But then I HTFU and dismissed those foolish thoughts. It wasn't even 80F; I have standards to uphold.

The End.
I had adequate hydration on my ride.

There are three water bottle cage mounts on my bike, I used all of them for the first time yesterday. I drank all but maybe 1/3 of the last bottle. It was 55F.
abshipp is online now  
Old 04-06-20, 07:33 AM
  #854  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 981

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post

What amp is that? It looks really familiar.
Its Peavey JSX Mini Colossal...

it was, for a long long while, one of the extremely few 5W tube amps with a power attenuator and an effects loop. Attenuator setting is a bit tricky, but when dialed in, one can have a wonderful tube tone, not even waking an asleep baby just up the stairs
kissTheApex is offline  
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 04-06-20, 07:59 AM
  #855  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,510

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
It’s Peavey JSX Mini Colossal...

it was, for a long long while, one of the extremely few 5W tube amps with a power attenuator and an effects loop. Attenuator setting is a bit tricky, but when dialed in, one can have a wonderful tube tone, not even waking an asleep baby just up the stairs
Nice

I love little tube amps. I've got one of the little Peavey Valveking heads that's switchable between 20/5/1 watts. I think I've been running it at the 1W setting and it's a great volume for someone who has to share a wall. I love the cleans on it but the gain channel is absolute garbage, so I have a switching mechanism on my pedalboard that lets me run a distortion pedal straight into the effects loop return.

I also had a Vox AC-4 for a little bit that was really fun with my Telecaster. A one-trick pony, for sure, but it did it well. Can't remember why I got rid of it, though
abshipp is online now  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-06-20, 08:06 AM
  #856  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I had adequate hydration on my ride.

There are three water bottle cage mounts on my bike, I used all of them for the first time yesterday. I drank all but maybe 1/3 of the last bottle. It was 55F.
You might as well just pull one of these behind your rig.


__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 08:11 AM
  #857  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 981

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Nice

I love little tube amps. I've got one of the little Peavey Valveking heads that's switchable between 20/5/1 watts. I think I've been running it at the 1W setting and it's a great volume for someone who has to share a wall. I love the cleans on it but the gain channel is absolute garbage, so I have a switching mechanism on my pedalboard that lets me run a distortion pedal straight into the effects loop return.

I also had a Vox AC-4 for a little bit that was really fun with my Telecaster. A one-trick pony, for sure, but it did it well. Can't remember why I got rid of it, though

yeah, I spent 4+ months on scambay until one got listed for what I can justify spending on.

I've heard similar comments on all switchable amps though. Valve king is high on my list if I was in the market for a new one though.

I was able to set this one just so that the it starts to break with a little movement of the volume on the guitar . Most of the time, I just run it as is, but it also does great with an mxr 78 custom badass when I want something more..

I was lucky to snag a boss GT-10 for $125 when Best Buy was going out of musical instrument business, and from time to time I set it up, but there are so many stuff that I don’t need on it that I thought of selling it every once in a while. Probably would feel the same way you for the ac4 if I did.
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 08:22 AM
  #858  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,510

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I was able to set this one just so that the it starts to break with a little movement of the volume on the guitar . Most of the time, I just run it as is, but it also does great with an mxr 78 custom badass when I want something more..
Overall, my clean channel is just that, I don't really like how the VK breaks up so I don't push it. If I want a little bit of crunch I run a ProCo Rat sitting right on the edge of it's distortion. I've also got a MXR 78 in front of that that sounds nice driving the Rat

I was lucky to snag a boss GT-10 for $125 when Best Buy was going out of musical instrument business, and from time to time I set it up, but there are so many stuff that I dont need on it that I thought of selling it every once in a while. Probably would feel the same way you for the ac4 if I did.
Every once in a while I think about picking up something along the lines of a Fractal AXE or something similar, but I think I would probably get lost in endlessly changing things around until it just sounds really terrible
abshipp is online now  
Old 04-06-20, 08:28 AM
  #859  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,510

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
You might as well just pull one of these behind your rig.
Maybe I could earn some supplemental income by filling it with with ammonia and fertilizing all the fields.
abshipp is online now  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-06-20, 08:28 AM
  #860  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,007

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Seeing that Im working from home today, my alarm calico decided to give me moral support. Shes been under the desk past two hours.


what amp is that?
ls01 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 08:31 AM
  #861  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 981

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Every once in a while I think about picking up something along the lines of a Fractal AXE or something similar, but I think I would probably get lost in endlessly changing things around until it just sounds really terrible
I resemble that comment! That’s why I don’t hook it up that often
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
what amp is that?
It’s a JSX mini colossal.
kissTheApex is offline  
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 04-06-20, 08:33 AM
  #862  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,007

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Whoa. I filled up at Costco, a week or so ago, at $1.49. I think I've only put ~40 miles on it since. Regular street price around here is $1.79 - 1.89.
2 stations by the house are $1.69. A third is $1.59. I drove a mile toward Detroit. Paid $1.47, That's quite the difference. It's even cheaper in the D....but then your in the D. Hard pass.
ls01 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 08:35 AM
  #863  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,007

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Face masks distributed at work by HR.

Regular dust mask, certainly one that doesn't do much.

This thing is uncomfortable.
its more to keep thing from coming out of you than in.
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 04-06-20, 08:59 AM
  #864  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Maybe I could earn some supplemental income by filling it with with ammonia and fertilizing all the fields.
You'd have to pay me to ride on dirt.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:03 AM
  #865  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,049

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
How fast can you ride across Rhode Island?
Rhode Island is pretty small. There are bigger icebergs.
berner is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:06 AM
  #866  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,007

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 147 Posts
Not to be putting on airs...I did manage to aquire an 8 pack of angel soft mega rolls....
No cashiers though. All self service. I hate bagging my stuff. I dont want to be responsible for my crushed bread. That's what the cashier is for.
ls01 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:10 AM
  #867  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
Rhode Island is pretty small.
We know.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:14 AM
  #868  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,371

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7344 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Did you learn from my mistake?
Did you?
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:24 AM
  #869  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Did you?
I've been riding so little I'm basically a newb again.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:05 AM
  #870  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,283

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, Garneau Steeple X

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7200 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 339 Posts
I need to mow for the first time this year and yes, I will be Straving it.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-06-20, 10:08 AM
  #871  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 35,578

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12403 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I need to mow for the first time this year and yes, I will be Straving it.
Some of you need to disconnect from Strava for a few weeks. WhyFi
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:11 AM
  #872  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,781

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4774 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Some of you need to disconnect from Strava for a few weeks. WhyFi
Can I Strava the disconnect from Strava?
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:12 AM
  #873  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
Not to be putting on airs...I did manage to aquire an 8 pack of angel soft mega rolls....
No cashiers though. All self service. I hate bagging my stuff. I dont want to be responsible for my crushed bread. That's what the cashier is for.
I was out of town when things started going crazy, but when i got back and went grocery shopping my local store was wiped out of TP and paper towels. Perhaps because I tend to go mid morning on Saturday, but even with the reduced crowds I haven't seen TP or paper towels in that store for something like 4 weeks now.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:15 AM
  #874  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
On the guitar amp front, I built a Princeton Reverb clone maybe a year ago? Modded it a bit and beefed up the power. It's a beast. Completely cured me of amp envy. The only other amp I've played since then that I wanted was a Two Rock, but it was 5 grand.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:
Old 04-06-20, 10:18 AM
  #875  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 981

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
On the guitar amp front, I built a Princeton Reverb clone maybe a year ago? Modded it a bit and beefed up the power. It's a beast. Completely cured me of amp envy. The only other amp I've played since then that I wanted was a Two Rock, but it was 5 grand.
I want to wind my own pickups before I start building amp clones, but Princeton reverb is definitely on the list. Did you source the parts yourself or went the kit route?
kissTheApex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.