Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Vilano a good company?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 09:05 AM
JewishBacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im looking at getting an entry level road bike, and I found one from a company that Ive never heard of before. if Vilano a good manufacturer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EFTPZC/...OEIVE9RR&psc=1
Old 11-20-15, 09:17 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vilano is just a label, probably owned by an umbrella corporation which also owns 500 other generic/no-name labels. Probably gets the frames cheap from the same factory that sells the said frames to larger brand names as lower end models.

If you're looking for a cheap bike, go for it, though those shifters look dreadful. Have an LBS build it for you if you are not mechanically inclined to check spoke tension, bearing pre-load, etc.

Last edited by jfowler85; 11-20-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You want super low price? dont expect much in quality .. decent wheels cost more than that whole bike sells for.

YGWYPF.

It's a Chinese factory Vilano is just a made up name . root of the name may be Vile.. and added ano to sound Italian ..

Wall Mart is a good , profitable, company but their bikes are not very good but sell at a profit.

buy stock shares not their bikes.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 09:37 AM
skye

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's made of 6061 alloy, which is weaker than 7005. 6061 alloy is used on low-end frames because it is easier to weld. They also don't specify what derailleurs they use, which means *cheap* and when you can't figure out why the damn thing won't shift right, your mechanic is going to say "because you got that cheap-ass derailleur. I'm not fixing it you gotta upgrade."

I'm not saying don't buy it, or the frame is dangerous or anything like that. These are just things to keep in mind.

Last edited by skye; 11-20-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 09:38 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You are much better off getting something used, or going on BikesDirect than that BSO.
Old 11-20-15, 03:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have seen a bunch come through the shop and they are pretty junky. Pretty much any bike you see for sale via Amazon or Wally-Mart or places like that is generally not worth the time or money. Find a local shop in your area and try some bikes out, you will come out on top in that deal whereas you will lose money on those online bikes because you will have to find a shop to get it built and tuned and deal with low grade components that are more of a pain then they are worth.

Those odd shifters are a pain in the butt to deal with and they shift like crap. Generally most bike parts that use a screwdriver to tighten down with should be avoided. Hex wrenches/allen keys are the norm because they are less likely to strip and easier to torque down properly.

As others have said there is probably a factory in Asia somewhere making cheap low end frames and slapping different names on it.
Old 11-20-15, 08:49 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Never heard of it. IMO cheap bikes are no bargain.
Old 11-21-15, 12:58 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Used on Craigslist will get you the best bang for your buck in that price range. What is your budget and what are you looking for in a bike? Bikes Direct has a lot of bikes to choose from. This one is pretty low end, but the shifters are better than that Amazon bike.

Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy SC3 Aluminum Road bikes
Old 11-21-15, 05:45 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by JewishBacon
Im looking at getting an entry level road bike, and I found one from a company that Ive never heard of before. if Vilano a good manufacturer?

Amazon.com : Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano, Black, 54cm Medium : Road Bicycles : Sports & Outdoors
Try their web site: Vilano Bikes Where to Buy: Authorized Dealers
Old 11-21-15, 06:02 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
One good indicator is that it's 21 speed. That means 3x7.

7-speed is pretty much dead, and only seen on low end bikes sold in big box stores. Shop around for 7s cassettes and other replacement parts and you'll see just how obsolete that is.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-21-15, 08:22 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've run across a couple of those Amazon bikes before. The frame is probably credible, but the amount you would spend upgrading this bike to a rideable would be better spent getting something better, even BikesDirect better. I've seen some guys at work with those BikesDirect bikes, and they function well as daily users. Something I would not have tried with those Amazon bikes. Used on CL is good as well . Just know what you are getting into.
Old 11-21-15, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bikes are like anything else. You get what you pay for. For the most party more money equals less weight. The fact is when you get to a sweet spot in the middle, you get the most bang for the buck. After that you are buying a name and glitz.

Back to the bike in question. It would seem to be a reasonable entry level bike.
Old 11-21-15, 10:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Those shifters would be a major turn-off for me, maybe even a deal breaker. That bike is not a good candidate for one-part-as-a-time upgrades either.
Old 11-21-15, 11:06 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The reviews on Amazon are pretty funny. Some claim it weighs less than 16 lbs and one says it weighs no more than 3 or 4 lbs. It's also capable of speeds up to 40 mph. The only negatives I saw were that the chain falls off sometimes going over curbs and the usual broken spokes and flat tires. One claimed he broke two spokes and they sent him a complete set of new wheels.
Old 11-21-15, 03:49 PM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Is vilano a good company?
Villano isn't a company. It is a brand name affixed to a low priced bicycle, nothing more. So, you have to look at the price along with the limited description of the components used to build it. Not very impressive. Generally speaking, the more detailed the list of the specific makes and models of each and every component used to build a specific bike, the more reliable the brand name
The product information on the web page selling that bike is pathetic, I would never buy anything which provided so little information

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-21-15 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-21-15, 04:41 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Item weight: 16 pounds
Shipping weight: 34.2 pounds

hmm.......
Old 11-21-15, 04:42 PM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Item weight: 16 pounds
Shipping weight: 34.2 pounds

hmm.......
If that bike weighs 16 pounds I will eat the box it came in
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-21-15, 06:24 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If that bike weighs 16 pounds I will eat the box it came in
The bike frame & fork weighs 16 lbs and the rest brings it up to 34 lbs? Not assembled and the rest is in a box within their box.
Old 10-27-17, 01:34 PM
Plarge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well

I bought a vilano because I needed a bike that might get stolen in dc. I didn’t want to spend more than 500 bucks. What I got was a reasonable bike although as pointed out the shifters were trash. As soon as I came out of the saddle I would knock it out of gear with my knee. Weird placement maybe but definitely didn’t like having to shift grip to change gears.

So here’s what I did. Bought some decent commuter pedals, new micro shift shifters, new jag wire cables, and a new saddle. Now with about 150 bucks worth of upgrades it is a bike I am proud of and enjoy riding.

It isn’t light but to be honest neither am I. At 200lbs a lb here or there on the bike isn’t going to change my ride much.
That said it doesn’t weigh 34 lbs. I would say it is probably 25 or a bit less.

I will be putting some new tires and wheels on at some point because as some have pointed out already, those are pretty cheap too.

Once that is done I think it is a good bike. I guess all things considered I could have spent 450 bucks on a slightly nicer bike but I have enjoyed working on it and riding it and it does look good in white.

Is it the greatest deal in cycling? No. Is it a good entry level bike with a few small upgrades? Yes

Last edited by Plarge; 10-27-17 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-27-17, 02:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
It's made of 6061 alloy, which is weaker than 7005. 6061 alloy is used on low-end frames because it is easier to weld.
6061 T6 and 7005 T6 are at least in the same ballpark for strength. The differences are, 6061 is more easily worked before heat treating, and 7005 doesn't require treating afterward. That makes the choice easy for low-end builders: use 6061 and don't heat treat it after welding.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-27-17, 02:41 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Strange a newbie would revive a 2 year old zombie thread.
Old 03-07-20, 09:26 PM
dchinchey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Vilano Shadow and it is just fine. Does it have the best parts? NO. But the real question is what are you going to use the bike for? If you are a fairly causal rider then a Vilano may be right for you. Are you a college kid who needs something to get around town and campus? This bike is fine. Do you want to train for the Tour de France? Then no, you idiot this bike is not for you. The gears all these gearheads are poo-pooing are Shimano. Yes, older and not the shiniest and new but there are Shimano and that means they are reliable. You really have to ask yourself what you are using the bike for and go with that. Also, assess how likely your bike is to be stolen. I have had a Vilano for about 2 years now and have put well over 500 miles on it. Is it the best bike I have ever owned? No. but it is fine.

Also, ask the gear heads how many factories are actually making aluminum frames in China. Yeah. Not that many so very likely the baseline trek that goes for 1000 bucks has its frames built by the same factories. It just chaps my ass when the gearhead hipsters come out. Biking is supposed to FUN. And the community, for the most part, is welcoming. Maybe a Vilano is all this guy could afford right now. Instead of asking legit questions, most have just piled on whilst dazzling us all with their superior knowledge of frames and components.

Is the bike great? NO. is it rideable and serviceable, Yes.

Buy the bike and have it assembled at your local HIPPIE (not HIPSTER) bike shop. You will be fine and if you really get into biking then you may want to buy a different bike next year. If not, you have a bike you can ride on the weekends and have fun.

Ride on, brother.
Old 03-09-20, 07:08 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dchinchey
I have a Vilano Shadow and it is just fine. Does it have the best parts? NO. But the real question is what are you going to use the bike for? If you are a fairly causal rider then a Vilano may be right for you. Are you a college kid who needs something to get around town and campus? This bike is fine. Do you want to train for the Tour de France? Then no, you idiot this bike is not for you. The gears all these gearheads are poo-pooing are Shimano. Yes, older and not the shiniest and new but there are Shimano and that means they are reliable. You really have to ask yourself what you are using the bike for and go with that. Also, assess how likely your bike is to be stolen. I have had a Vilano for about 2 years now and have put well over 500 miles on it. Is it the best bike I have ever owned? No. but it is fine.

Also, ask the gear heads how many factories are actually making aluminum frames in China. Yeah. Not that many so very likely the baseline trek that goes for 1000 bucks has its frames built by the same factories. It just chaps my ass when the gearhead hipsters come out. Biking is supposed to FUN. And the community, for the most part, is welcoming. Maybe a Vilano is all this guy could afford right now. Instead of asking legit questions, most have just piled on whilst dazzling us all with their superior knowledge of frames and components.

Is the bike great? NO. is it rideable and serviceable, Yes.

Buy the bike and have it assembled at your local HIPPIE (not HIPSTER) bike shop. You will be fine and if you really get into biking then you may want to buy a different bike next year. If not, you have a bike you can ride on the weekends and have fun.

Ride on, brother.
The brother you are responding to started this thread in 2015 and hasn’t posted on BF since then. Making this a Zombie Thread. 😀
Hope whatever he decided to do worked out for him.
Old 03-09-20, 07:35 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
spam, check the screen name
Old 03-09-20, 08:21 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I know its a zombie thread but I clicked on the link anyway

Lawd have mercy --- 230 bucks and complete with sporty looking copies of a Hed 3 or Specialized tri spoke wheelset What a fool I was to spend 4k on my aero track wheels last year

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J35LPV/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.