Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rivendell seems to have changed

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-23-18, 08:02 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts

The most retrogrouch of retrogrouch brands seems to have changed a bit. Taking a recent look at their frame offerings, I was somewhat surprised to see that they've gone all import and the prices are about half what they were:
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/framesets

Rivendell has offered a couple of imported, less expensive models in recent years but now that trend seems to have swept the entire line. Note that the most expensive production frame is now $1,400. Even the Atlantis is now import. Also, is that (gasp) TIG welding I spy on some of the least expensive frames?

I like made in USA stuff but I think this is a good idea. This pricing makes these bikes much more accessible for more people, the bikes become a reasonable option. Rivendell was never about luxury bikes. Grant professed the brand to be about practical, durable bikes. It was always hard to square that branding with the luxury good pricing. That problem is now largely solved. I know Riv dodged a bullet earlier this year, perhaps this is them getting their business plan back on track.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-23-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:37 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I don't think Grant ever had anything against imported frames, he was in charge of the Bridgestone bicycles imported from Japan back in the 80s and early 90s.
Old 07-23-18, 11:05 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
26.8mm seat posts and still no disk brake models.

I really doubt that Rivendell will be around in 5 years time.
Old 07-24-18, 05:19 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
For a long time, the Atlantis was built in Japan, then some production shifted to the US, they were built by Waterford , I think, And some of them are built in Taiwan, the new Japan, as some people say. Bicycle manufacturing is sensitive to labor costs and exchange rates.

I never bought a Rivendell; my Bridgestones still are going strong, I have bought parts from them :and have gotten lots of ideas from the Rivendell Readers.

There are still a lot of us who like centerpull rim brakes. My recommendation to Rivendell would be to sell some of their models with brazed on studs for centerpulls..
Old 07-24-18, 05:39 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

Lol. A company who specs it's bikes with bar-ends and it's #1 sellers are pine tar soap and baskets and you think it will be because they don't offer disc brake bikes. Lol.
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 07-24-18, 06:54 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that Rivendell was almost out of business early in 2018 - five days away from defaulting to its creditors.

https://mailchi.mp/rivbike/if-you-re...e-read-this-un

Any decision they make nowadays is likely based exclusively on the need to keep the lights on. That's not a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when discussing where they source their parts and whether to buy.

-Tim-
Old 07-24-18, 07:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

Lol. A company who specs it's bikes with bar-ends
Many of us who tour appreciate bar end shifters. The Surly LHT is a very popular touring bike. It comes with bar ends. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's the most popular stock touring bike on the market. I have owned two. (First one was stolen.) When I bought my first touring bike (at the end 1998) I passed on the 1999 Cannondales and went with a '98 model because the '99s had brifters.
Old 07-24-18, 08:52 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that Rivendell was almost out of business early in 2018 - five days away from defaulting to its creditors.

https://mailchi.mp/rivbike/if-you-re...e-read-this-un

Any decision they make nowadays is likely based exclusively on the need to keep the lights on. That's not a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when discussing where they source their parts and whether to buy.

-Tim-
...exactly the point I was making in the original post.
Old 07-25-18, 02:12 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
A lot depends on whether Grant Petersen decides to retire, and if someone wants to take the company over. Rivendell fills a small niche in thecyling world, but it is appreciated by some because it resisted the trend of the big companies that pushed performance and race oriented bike and equipment. GP is largely responsible for the revival of the 650B size tire, now popularized by mainstream companies as 27.5. He has had a lot of ideas about bikes, some caught on, some didn't. Linus Pauling once said the way to get a good idea is to have lots of ideas, even if most of them aren't that great.

Even if it closes up shop, the bikes will still be on the road thirty or forty years from now. This is a problem foar company that make a good product that doesn't need replacing every couple of years.
Old 07-25-18, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
They do have competitors, and the cost of having any place in SFO Bay area
has ballooned in cost..

Bridgestone Cult now subscribes to VBQ, magazine,
published by Compass Cycles Owner. in Seattle..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-25-18 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 12:47 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I’ve wanted to like Rivendell for a long time. But many of their components are clearly Tektro or MKS or something else identifiable, but at twice the price because it says “Rivendell” on it.
For quite some time now, many of their frames were supplied by Merry Sales (aka Soma), at a considerable premium over Soma offerings.
Let’s just say I don’t understand how they’ve stayed afloat this long.
Can I get a Waterford for the price of a Rivendell? Can I get a custom Gunnar for less? I know I can get a Soma for a LOT less, and Tektro stuff from my LBS or online.
Old 07-25-18, 03:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Cult of personality is certainly part of it.

I'm not saying they don't or did not have beautiful bikes but to a certain extent many have bought into the founder's philosophy and support it though his products. I'm also not saying that belief in his philosophy is not sincere.

Buying a Rivendell for many is more than just buying a bike. It is a statement of belief in Grant Peterson and what he purports to stand for.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-25-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 04:31 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts

disc brakes are only better than my cantilever brakes in deep snow. The average person never rides in the snow. I imagine my cantis get ridden in way worse weather and way more often than most discs.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-25-18, 11:02 PM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Velo Orange and Compass do Rivendell better than Rivendell.
No, they don’t. They do something different, which is fine.
Old 07-26-18, 01:51 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Rivendell has changed. It's kind of a shame, in that I quite like Grant Petersen's philosophy and I agree with about 50% of what he says. One of things I like is the philosophy of buying things to last, treating them well and repairing them, rather than discarding them. I think the company is coming up against the reality of the modern market, though, where good intentions and sound ideas alone don't keep the lights on.

The reason I say it's a shame is that Grant is obviously struggling to find a balance between what his guiding philosophy tells him to sell and what he needs to sell to keep his company afloat. It's never pleasant to see a man have to compromise and water down his beliefs, even if it is in service of keeping people employed. Still, Grant has never been deceptive, and wherever Rivendell goes, I think he will be honest about it, and won't try to hide.

He's also Americana rather than French-influenced. Look at how he spells it "derailer" rather than "derailleur," after a conversation with Sheldon Brown. You can also examine his forks and their trail, even on custom Rando bikes he refuses to give clients low trail geometry.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 07-26-18, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

I love my Nitto Big racks that I bought from Rivendell. Hope they last a lifetime.
Old 07-26-18, 08:37 AM
Hiro11

It's a strange brand. Rivendell seems to be more about Peterson's ideas and preferences than about the ideas and preferences of his customers. A few rare companies can make this work (see Apple's "the customers don't know what they want until we give it to them" approach) but generally not giving people what they want is a recipe for bankruptcy.

Still, by sticking to his guns I think Peterson has been somewhat vindicated. Lugged steel, retro paint work, room for wider tires, upright positions, less performance focus etc. All are very on trend right now and Rivendell is surely part of that story. Flat pedals and Crocs on road bikes, a return of cantilevers, a return of friction shifting, flat bars... these ideas are less popular but take these trends to the next level. Also, this isn't a fad for Rivendell: they've been making this type of bike for decades. Say what you want about Peterson but he is what he is and his bikes are what they are. You might disagree with his design preferences or choice of gear but they don't sell crap and they seem to honestly think carefully about their choices. Integrity might be a word to use, something I can appreciate regardless of what I think about his bikes.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-27-18 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 07-26-18, 08:58 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
Stopped by his shop in Walnut Creek the other day just to check it out. Grant was busy with everyday business, but took time to come out and small talk. Had my Waterford with me and he mentioned the XT I was running was one of his favorites. Seems some of his workers took the day off and went riding. I could see him retiring and doing the same.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-26-18, 10:10 AM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's a strange brand. Rivendell seems to be more about Peterson's ideas and preferences than about the ideas and preferences of his customers. A few rare companies can make this work (see Apple's "the customers don't know what they want until we give it to them" approach) but generally not giving people what they want is a recipe for bankruptcy.

Still, by sticking to his guns I think Peterson has been somewhat vindicated. Lugged steel, lugs, retro paint work, room for wider tires, upright positions, less performance focus etc. All are very on trend right now and Rivendell is surely part of that story. Flat pedals and Crocs on road bikes, a return of cantilevers, a return of friction shifting, flat bars... these ideas are less popular but take these trends to the next level. Also, this isn't a fad for Rivendell: they've been making this type of bike for decades. Say what you want about Peterson but he is what he is and his bikes are what they are. You might disagree with his design preferences or choice of gear but they don't sell crap and they seem to honestly think carefully about their choices. Integrity might be a word to use, something I can appreciate regardless of what I think about his bikes.
Grant says their mission is to make bikes that wouldn’t be made if Rivendell weren’t making them. Judging by the landscape out there, I think he’s right. Extra long wheel base with long chain stays, upright riding position with swept back handlebars, no disc brakes, friction shifting, steel lugged frames, relaxed seating, all in a package using top quality components. Where else can you get that? If Rivendell wasn’t making those bikes, no one else would. I like their designs, so I would miss them.

Last edited by Bill Gem; 07-26-18 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For Bill Gem:
Old 07-26-18, 10:45 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts

One reason is they are very knowledgeable, and freely share that knowledge. They have absolutely exceptional customer service, something some of their competitors do not have. They have helped me a lot over the years, spending unexpected time on the phone with me when a quick email would have been fine, but the phone conversation gave me more information that emails would have, quickly answering questions and followup questions, and them sharing advice that many companies would not have shared, some nonstandard ways of doing something, that worked perfectly, and cost me nothing.

Selling a product is one thing, selling an exceptional product is better, and providing stellar customer service is even better.
Old 07-26-18, 10:54 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
They've got a fanbase happy to send them interest-free loans when they need it, and Grant Petersen achieves this at basically zero marketing budget.
Old 07-26-18, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
They have absolutely exceptional customer service, something some of their competitors do not have.
Yep. When I was looking for replacement racks after someone stole my custom Robert Beckman racks and the bike they were attached to I found their Nitto Big racks on line. Had some questions and shot them an email. The responded promptly. One of my questions was about weight. They weighed both racks for me and let me know.

While he doesn't make his own stuff, Wayne (and Co.) at thetouringstore.com is the same way. When I was having some trouble getting the Ortlieb panniers I bought from him to play nice with my new racks I emailed him. he suggested that I sent him some photos and then call him, which I did. We talked for some 20 min. and he gave me some helpful advice. Then when I had a warranty issue with one of the panniers he sent me a replacement before I sent the defective one back because I was going to be starting a tour in a week.
Old 07-26-18, 11:27 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Curious about the Touring Store, went to the site to discover they are going out of business. Unfortunate.

In some respects Grant pioneered the whole idea (more like he reminded us) of road bikes being practical and all purpose. His concepts of wider tires, alternatives to F & R pannier touring, etc... are things that are much more common today. Trek, Specialized and others make all kinds or bikes now that kind of follow the Rivendell philosophy. REI as well is very much oriented towards this "style" and certainly Soma and Surly are decent alternatives. Grant was very instrumental in all this and I hope he can retire comfortably when he chooses and can find somebody of a similar mindset to keep the company in business.
Old 07-26-18, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a little over 20 years .. all the regional British bike shops that made their own lugged steel frames ,
in batches, in the back,
to sell in the front of the store, as ready to ride bicycles, have gone..

and are now selling bikes from the big TW OEM, factory bikes .. many brands, you are familiar with ,

because they could not compete on costs.. and the quality is still good..

Old 07-26-18, 12:35 PM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Still, by sticking to his guns I think Peterson has been somewhat vindicated. Lugged steel, lugs, retro paint work, room for wider tires, upright positions, less performance focus etc. All are very on trend right now and Rivendell is surely part of that story. Flat pedals and Crocs on road bikes, a return of cantilevers, a return of friction shifting, flat bars... these ideas are less popular but take these trends to the next level. Also, this isn't a fad for Rivendell: they've been making this type of bike for decades. Say what you want about Peterson but he is what he is and his bikes are what they are. You might disagree with his design preferences or choice of gear but they don't sell crap and they seem to honestly think carefully about their choices. Integrity might be a word to use, something I can appreciate regardless of what I think about his bikes.
Grant says their mission is to make bikes that wouldn’t be made if Rivendell weren’t making them. Judging by the landscape out there, I think he’s right. Extra long wheel base with long chain stays, upright riding position with swept back handlebars, no disc brakes, friction shifting, steel lugged frames, relaxed seating, all in a package using top quality components. Where else can you get that? If Rivendell wasn’t making those bikes, no one else would. I like their designs, so I would miss them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.