Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Goggles

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 09:39 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Goggles

Hi,

I always bike with goggles for obvious reasons from safety to comfort.

I find a lot of googles don't last long because they are soft plastic and at some point the lens is too blurry. Plastic polish helps a bit but......

Has anyone found goggles that will take rearview mirrors and are durable and have a great field of view?

BTW I use a Take-A-Look mirror.
Old 07-02-19, 04:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Have you tried ski goggles? Good ones aren't cheap but may work better. I haven't found any utility goggles in hardware stores that worked well for bicycling.

Look for lenses that meet safety standards agreed upon by ANSI, ISO, ISEA. Usually those will be tough enough to resist scratching and scuffing longer. Or look for safety glass rather than polycarbonate.

There are also some retro style cycling and aviator goggles, the type with separate lenses for each eye for that classic bug-eye look. Might be easier to fit a mirror. Good ones will be pricey.

I mount my Take-A-Look mirrors on my helmets, since I switch glasses often. There's a little trick to using the Take-A-Look on a helmet:
  • Cut out a stiff plastic card to substitute for the eyeglass earpieces. Those junk membership cards from grocery stores work well.
  • Cut it to fit a space inside the helmet, usually between the EPS foam and MIPS support or liner.
  • Zip tie the mirror to the trimmed card.
  • Zip tie the entire rig to the helmet itself, through the vents.

This will leave enough wiggle room to adjust the mirror stalk to suit my riding positions on my upright hybrid and road bikes, with or without a bandanna on my head (usually with). However I can't wear a cycling cap under my helmet -- no matter how I adjust it the bill either blocks my mirror, or forces the helmet so far back on my skull that I can't see the mirror. I don't care for cycling caps anyway.

There are other mirrors better suited to helmets, with articulating support arms. But I like the smaller Take-A-Look and this mounting method works well for my helmets. Most other helmet mirrors are too large and would block too much of my view.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-02-19, 08:40 AM
alanf

Wow canklecat,
excellent suggestions! I just lost my mirror so when I get my new one I will try that. I could not figure out a sensible way to mount the mirror to the helmet but you have. I tried clipping it to the sun visor but no luck.

The issue I have with ski goggles is that they don't have great peripheral vision.

I like your suggestion about looking for approvals ANSI etc. and safety glasses rather than goggles. I don't mind spending the money if they will last because when they get foggy, I just get too lazy to throw them away and so put up with it till I have a scary situation happen.

The other thing I considered is getting the plastic flat pieces that wrap around the front like chopper pilots have. I haven't seen a sensible setup yet tho. I worked with chopper pilots who had the fighter pilot style helmets that the lens slipped up into the helmet when not in use. That would be the penultimate. Hang glder helmets can be like that.
Old 07-02-19, 08:45 AM
alanf

Here is an example https://instinct.pro/collections/hel...caro-4fight-mr

A tad spendy tho
Old 07-02-19, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Goggle=comfort? Does not compute. Does not compute.
Old 07-02-19, 09:23 AM
alanf

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Comfort means no wind blasting everything from dry, sandy air full of bees, wasps, pebbles flicked up by cars and bikes, not to mention even branches from bushes on the side of the road, especially at dusk, you name it into my face.

Years ago I bought one of the early full face motorcycle helmets. One day I was driving when a big honkin bee hit my face shield. I made a big bang that kind of shocked me. I thanked God for that full coverage helmet face shield. Goggles are as important to me as a helmet.
Old 07-02-19, 11:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
what goggles are you using now?
Old 07-02-19, 11:55 AM
alanf

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what goggles are you using now?
regular shop goggles
Old 07-02-19, 12:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Wiley-X SG1
Old 07-02-19, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I tried sky diver goggles but they fogged. I drilled vent holes but they still fogged. for blizzards I wear ski goggles with the vent foam removed. for fair weather, I use shop glasses. last summer I got a helmet with w flip up face shield. that was fun but now I need more ventilation so I'm back to shop glasses. I think on sunny days tho I should wear sunglasses
Old 07-02-19, 02:36 PM
BobKl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a windshield

I use prescription sunglasses, but any wind hitting my eyes causes them to tear up so I still need a windshield.
Old 07-02-19, 11:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Here's how my helmet mirror is mounted. Easy setup, works well.

For eye protection, I use Radians bifocal safety glasses, dark and clear lenses. They work well enough. The brow frame can obscure my view slightly when I'm in the drops. I have another pair of plain frameless sunglasses, no reading lens.

Take-A-Look mirror on Bell Formula MIPS.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-03-19, 01:09 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I'll add this but I'm not proud. I got a great pair of wrap sunglasses at Walmart for 12 bucks. Foster Grants. Fits my face pattern/eye sockets really well and the wrap around lens really seals my eyes off to "debris." Excellent peripheral vision. Good lens too although I'm certain it's plastic. Clean vision with the right tint. I like them so much, here they are.... wink.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 07-03-19, 07:21 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
So far this year I've been missing winter riding because this past February and March I was riding with ski goggles and a ski mask for some of the very same reasons that the OP cited, save one: I can't take the heat and sweat like a stuck pig. Sweat literally rolls down my brow and into my eyes. This was a non issue in the winter because A: I don't sweat as much in the winter, and B: the padding around the goggles kept any trickle from going into my eyes.

Sure, I got a lot of laughs from joggers on the local MUP but I found winter riding much more enjoyable this year than I did even during the heat of summer.
Old 07-04-19, 02:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Do a web search for cross country ski goggles. They're not as natty, nor as cheap as shop goggles, but they are made for athletic activities and have high quality lenses.

Doesn't surprise me that you have problems with shop goggles getting cloudy/scratched up. They're usually made with cheap plastic because they're cheap and intended to be more or less disposable.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-04-19, 02:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Terminology 'goggles' does not bring to mind wrap around sports glasses , for me..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-04-19, 03:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Terminology 'goggles' does not bring to mind wrap around sports glasses , for me..
No, but BBB was merely pointing out that maybe OP is getting goggles based on an invalid assumption ( that they are needed to keep dust/wind out of eyes.) Wraparound sunglasses would do the same job but probably last longer. It's why most of us use them instead of... goggles.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-05-19, 04:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I had some goggles for motorcycling. Seldom used them because I live in a helmet-law state. They had one lens for each eye and a single layer of foam behind them rather than double-pane ski goggles. Mine had a headband but you can get similar with frames like glasses that would take the mirror. Like this https://www.revzilla.com/product/bob...les-sunglasses
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-05-19, 04:58 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Right. And goggles doesn't bring to mind biking, for me.

Have another cup of Joe....
Old 07-06-19, 07:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Power tool eye protection ..

ski goggles

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-06-19 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 10:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
Hi,

I find a lot of googles don't last long because they are soft plastic and at some point the lens is too blurry. Plastic polish helps a bit but......

Has anyone found goggles that will take rearview mirrors and are durable and have a great field of view?

Originally Posted by BobKl
I use prescription sunglasses, but any wind hitting my eyes causes them to tear up so I still need a windshield.
regular shop goggles
Originally Posted by Camilo
…Doesn't surprise me that you have problems with shop goggles getting cloudy/scratched up. They're usually made with cheap plastic because they're cheap and intended to be more or less disposable.
I have frequently posted about goggles for Winter cycling:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:
for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide, plastic industrial goggles that I suspend from my cycling cap using Velcro around the nosepiece. The goggles sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered. The earpieces then provide a secure mount for my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror.

The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.
In the summer I have simply rested the earpieces on my ears as any eyeglasses, even over my prescription eyeglasses.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Comfort means no wind blasting everything from dry, sandy air full of bees, wasps, pebbles flicked up by cars and bikes, not to mention even branches from bushes on the side of the road, especially at dusk, you name it into my face

Goggles are as important to me as a helmet.
Originally Posted by event horizon
Proper riding glasses do all of that. But you already know that.

Which leaves us with trying to understand your true motivation here,
…Has anyone found goggles that will take rearview mirrors and are durable and have a great field of view?
One summer I did suffer a temporarily disabling corneal abrasion (link)
Damn the abrasion, full speed ahead.

Today is day three after onset of my corneal abrasion, and I was scheduled for a 59 mile ride for my 10 week century training program. By day number two I felt fine with occasional relapses of slight irritation, and I really needed the long ride.

So I donned my winter cycling safety glasses for further eye protection beyond my usual perscription eyeglasses, and left Kenmore Square... [but on a later ride]
I think my brand new eyeglasses made the gash (about 1 inch long requiring 18 stitches to close).

Ironically, since I had a corneal abrasion a few weeks ago I have been wearing goggles over my eyeglasses and I have to wonder if the goggles pushed the eyeglasses into my face.

The frames were pretty damaged and unwearable though I had a spare pair in the car…
So I no longer wear the goggles, trusting my prescription eyeglasses for eye protection.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-06-19 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 09-01-19, 08:46 PM
Paul Ko

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi,

I'm using RUDI Project for 5 years.. it's durable and long lasting!
Likes For Paul Ko:
Old 09-01-19, 11:22 PM
alanf

Originally Posted by Paul Ko
I'm using RUDI Project for 5 years.. it's durable and long lasting!
Wow, a tad pricey but looks like a good idea.