Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit parts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Counterfeit parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 07:51 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Counterfeit parts?

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but I figured mechanics would know this issue better than anyone else.

Ebay seems to be littered with a seatpost that is listed a Orbea carbon 31.6 x 350 with a 20mm offset that are new w/o retail packaging. These are super cheap considering what they are supposed to be. I really want to buy one, but I am concerned that they are counterfeit, and possibly sub-par or even dangerous if this is the case. I have been unable to find a similar seatpost on Orbea's website which also throws up a red flag. Anybody have any experience with these or can anyone confirm if they are legit? The listings show what appears to be a part number of 5092, but a google search of that number only leads to ebay auctions.

Last edited by medic75; 11-22-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 07:55 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If a deal looks too good to be true it probably isn't.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-22-19, 08:04 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Far too little info to even guess on.

Where was the seller located? (that can make it pretty obvious if it genuine or not)

Just because it was without retail packaging, was it ever offed as a retail part? is it an OEM part being sold effectively as a grey market product?

What is super cheap vs other products?

If in doubt, don't buy, if you have an Orbea, didn't it come with a seatpost? if you have a different brand, why do you want an Orbea post on your bike?
Old 11-22-19, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Possibly obtained from Orbea's Asian supplier as overrun or gray market parts. Could be the same as the real thing but without the QC and other "unnecessary" expenses, thus the low price. Probably OK but then it's not me whose going to be riding it.
Old 11-22-19, 08:15 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Far too little info to even guess on.

Where was the seller located? (that can make it pretty obvious if it genuine or not)

Just because it was without retail packaging, was it ever offed as a retail part? is it an OEM part being sold effectively as a grey market product?

What is super cheap vs other products?

If in doubt, don't buy, if you have an Orbea, didn't it come with a seatpost? if you have a different brand, why do you want an Orbea post on your bike?
There are multiple sellers selling the same thing in the $20 range. They all seem to be in the US with decent feedback. I don't have an Orbea bike, but my seatpost is beat up and I was looking for something to replace it that doesn't look so rough. I don't really care about the brand name, with function being my primary concern.

Here is a link to one of the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbea-Road-...AAAOSwQQBbGz~e
Old 11-22-19, 09:49 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Here is a link to one of the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbea-Road-...AAAOSwQQBbGz~e
Considering it's only 20 bucks and the seller has a 100% rating with close to 9500 transactions I'd buy it. No way of knowing if anything anymore is legit and good quality even when buying from registered dealers as counterfeit parts have found their way into many huge and established name brand factories. The fact that the seller looks extremely reputable is a good sign that they'll at least back up their products if there is a problem.
Old 11-23-19, 11:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I wouldn't trust cheap stuff bought on eBay. Counterfeit parts aren't found in established factories and aren't made by some mysterious third shift, they are made in cheaper factories with even lower labor standards and quality standards and while sometimes people get lucky and don't have a major problem, you just never know. You also usually don't get ANY WARRANTY with eBay and similar third party sellers even if the part is actually made by that manufacturer. When something goes wrong that warranty can be quite handy.
Old 11-24-19, 01:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts

There seem to be a lot of counterfeit Carbon parts on E-Bay, but I am surprised to see Orbea branded counterfeit components. Most of them seem to be brands like Easton, maybe a few other brands (I think).

Looking about the Orbea post. Quickly perusing what is available, I'm not seeing other posts that look like the Orbea. So, not somebody putting 50 different brands on the same post.

It appears to be a 2-part post, rather than a monocoque post.

And, all the Orbea posts I'm seeing look identical.

And, US sellers (I think, some seem to hide their true identity). Items forsale from that seller appear to be an eclectic mix, but not just carbon parts, for example.

I'm interpreting that the posts are likely genuine, but from a previous model that the company is dumping on the internet.
Old 11-24-19, 07:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Counterfeit parts aren't found in established factories and aren't made by some mysterious third shift, they are made in cheaper factories with even lower labor standards and quality standards...
I agree with your conclusion but not your reason. I did vendor evaluations in China over a five year span and found that even with their super low wages they can not set up a factory production line to produce a few hundred of thousand fake Orbea stems. These are most assuredly an end run or something like the graphics got rejected by Orbea. The risk for buyers is end runs will not get the QA/QC from Orbea inspectors, cheaper materials, etc., as you point out. The Ralph Lauren polo shirt bought in the alley behind the American Embassy (now they have their own department store) is a Ralph Lauren but sometimes you might find cheaper dye and your red becomes pink with washing.
Old 11-24-19, 09:43 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Counterfeit parts aren't found in established factories and aren't made by some mysterious third shift, they are made in cheaper factories with even lower labor standards and quality standards and while sometimes people get lucky and don't have a major problem, you just never know.
Fake parts supplied to mfrs aren't necessarily a huge problem but it does happen. Large, brand name electronics mfrs have been supplied with pirated and inferior components, subpar countefeit bolts and such make their way into production lines, even our government (surprise) has been screwed from military equipment suppliers, etc. etc.. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2012/07/11/the-serious-risks-from-counterfeit-electronic-parts/#7b220c262c7f I'm just saying that it does happen and there are lots of reasons why a good product can end up selling very cheaply such as this seatpost and the best guarantee is the seller the OP was looking at. If they had a habbit of selling junk it would show up in their feedback on Ebay.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 11-24-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-24-19, 10:07 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I just can't imagine that someone would go through the trouble of manufacturing fake Orbea seat posts. Where would the market be? How many people are out there clamoring for an Orbea seat post? That doesn't make any sense. We're not talking about some mass pop culture item here like Apple Watches. More likely they are the result of some type of overrun or large batch of rejects, and nothing goes in the trash if it can be put on ebay.

I bought a cheap Chinese made but unbranded seatpost and it was actually pretty good quality. The issue I had is that it was the standard 27.2 size but my bike takes a 30.0, and using a shim didn't work as the carbon kept slipping in it even with using carbon paste.
Old 11-24-19, 10:08 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
last year I took a flyer on a Ritchey carbon seatpost "from china" for 30 buck.

It arrived and it frankly looked pretty good. However the head design was unlike any I'd seen, requiring you to use an allen key way up under the saddle.

Once I tried to put the saddle on it could not be re-assembled and one of the barrell nuts was cross threaded from the factory.

In short this thing was junk. It might have worked and if you want a carbon post for 30 bucks it might be OK. But if you buy this stuff, do so in full knowledge that you may struggle with it for a half hour and then give up and throw it away.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-24-19, 10:11 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I would avoid that seat post. My Orbea came with, what appears to be an identical post. About a year and a half of riding time on mine, the splines stripped and it wouldn't hold a setting. The splines are not a quality cut and do not mesh well. At the time I was 160#
Old 11-24-19, 11:40 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
crimsonstallionsales (9443 )100% Positive feedbackimposible to have this feedback 100% ratio with 9443
Old 11-24-19, 01:52 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
There could be a different explanation. Bike companies change distributors from time to time. When this happens the previous distributor may be left with a ton of orphan parts that they cannot sell to the retailers who used to buy from them unless they offer a huge discount. Orbea isn't a huge player in the bike market. Changing distributors is a smart marketing move. They don't have to worry about selling to the public, when they contract with a new distributor, that company has to build up an inventory to supply their dealers. Unfortunately, the previous distributor is left holding the bag with tons of inventory they have to get rid of
Old 11-24-19, 02:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
crimsonstallionsales (9443 )100% Positive feedbackimposible to have this feedback 100% ratio with 9443
9443 is the total feedback.
But, I think they only count the last 12 months towards the rating.

Looking at the link, 3004 positive, 2 neutral, 1 negative in the last 12 months.

3004/3 = 1 in 1000, or just under 0.1% neutral/negative. 99.9% positive.

It also lists 2 "revised" feedback. I've had E-Bay revise my feedback without contacting me or permission, but in general it is difficult to revise feedback.

Still, it is a pretty decent positive feedback rate.

Unfortunately, with product testing, it is hard to get a thorough test during the feedback period.
Old 11-24-19, 04:39 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If you need a seat post to sell the bike, buy it. If you are looking for long term use, look elsewhere.
Old 11-24-19, 07:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I just can't imagine that someone would go through the trouble of manufacturing fake Orbea seat posts. Where would the market be? ...

I bought a cheap Chinese made but unbranded seatpost and it was actually pretty good quality. The issue I had is that it was the standard 27.2 size but my bike takes a 30.0, and using a shim didn't work as the carbon kept slipping in it even with using carbon paste.
Methinks the market could be grabbing buyers who are more attracted to an Orbea than an unbranded generic... assuming your generic was maybe in the $20 range also? Possibly picking a brand that isn't as lawyered up and going after the counterfeiters?
Old 11-24-19, 09:55 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I would avoid that seat post. My Orbea came with, what appears to be an identical post. About a year and a half of riding time on mine, the splines stripped and it wouldn't hold a setting. The splines are not a quality cut and do not mesh well. At the time I was 160#
This is also why I needed a new seat post for my Kuota. The problem is there is only one 30.0 3rd party post available but not in carbon. I ended up buying another used Kuota after my Chinese post wouldn't work. I'm just hoping this second Kuota post holds for a few more years. It was the only one I saw on eBay after looking for a few years!
Old 11-24-19, 10:00 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Methinks the market could be grabbing buyers who are more attracted to an Orbea than an unbranded generic... assuming your generic was maybe in the $20 range also? Possibly picking a brand that isn't as lawyered up and going after the counterfeiters?
That still does not make much economic sense. It isn't as if a seatpost is a high volume item. Most people don't pay attention to it unless it breaks. If you're going to counterfeit something, you are going to make something that would sell. That is unless you are already making the real thing and have the tooling in place, and even then it must be something that will sell on its own.
Old 11-27-19, 09:10 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
It's not just carbon fiber posts. I got a cheap Thomson knockoff for $10. Looked fine and I'm fairly certain the post itself was strong enough. The mechanism to hold the seat was a very underbuilt 2 bolt style. It failed on my first/only ride on the post. I sort of wasn't stranded but took a while to get back. It is a design issue, it might work if you have the capability to remake the mounting hardware from steel.

If you browse eBay, a lot of the metal posts, Al or Ti are this style. I wouldn't expect any of them to survive a hit/pothole/washboard. The carbon ones have a different set-up.

I'd go for a cheap carbon over cheap Al for this reason.
Old 11-27-19, 10:23 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
if a seatpost clamp fails on the first ride and you fall off the bike resulting in serious injury you will certainly have gotten your money's worth.

that's not to say that expensive components never fail. But your safety is worth something. At least mine is.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA