Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Object of lust...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Object of lust...

Old 11-30-19, 06:35 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Object of lust...

I dont have upgraditis. I just (like, 30 min ago) converted my Shiv to 11 speed but only so i could share race wheels with my wife. My Venge purchase last week was my first new bike in 6 years, and upgraded a 10 year old race bike.

But godDAMN i want this Orbea (customized paint under MyOrbea). Am seriously considering flipping my Lynskey and buying this (and have a reasonably good reason, too - I have realized that steel may be real, titanium be amazium or whatever, but i find both of them to boring AF to ride, and would much rather ride carbon).

What's your irrational (or rational) object of lust? Let's see them.

Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-30-19, 06:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-30-19, 07:12 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
That is a beautiful looking bike, I didn’t realize that Orbea had a custom paint program very cool.

I lusted for a Speedvagen for almost 5 years before being given the ok to get, plus had to sell my last motorcycle as a sign of good faith lol! There were so many beautiful SV’s in the world mine became a reality in February 2018

Likes For robbyville:
Old 11-30-19, 07:51 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
If I am not lusting after my wife (7 married years this Winter Solstice), then I'm lusting after this old cougar:

She has survived at least two potential break-ups and doesn't splinter or crack in hard times.
​​​​​
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-30-19, 07:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Object of lust...
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I dont have upgraditis. I just (like, 30 min ago) converted my Shiv to 11 speed but only so i could share race wheels with my wife. My Venge purchase last week was my first new bike in 6 years, and upgraded a 10 year old race bike.

But godDAMN i want this Orbea (customized paint under MyOrbea)...

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
If I am not lusting after my wife (7 married years this Winter Solstice), then I'm lusting after this old cougar:...

She has survived at least two potential break-ups and doesn't splinter or crack in hard times.​​​​
Originally Posted by datlas
Previously posted:
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
”I feel like I am your mistress"

Talking with my wife of 30 years last night as I recalled my adventures at sea and how the sea still calls me. Told her a sailor is married to the sea, and keeps a mistress at home.

She pipes up with, "I feel like I am your mistress and you are married to your bikes." I simply could not argue with that point of view. She may just be right.
Originally Posted by Viking55803
… It's not about the clothes or the bike, true, but a well-fitted and finely-tuned bicycle is a marvelous machine and many cyclists come to feel love and affection for these inanimate objects.

I even coined a term: velosexual, for those that carry more affection for their bike than their partners.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In several of the replies, the subscribers even “vexted” (velo-texted) pictures.
Originally Posted by Viking55803
I am totally against marriage equality for velosexuals - it's bound to end badly!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The next thing you know, Boston Red Sox Fans will want to marry NY Yankee Fans.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-19 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added quote by Digger Goreman
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 11-30-19, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

But godDAMN i want this Orbea (customized paint under MyOrbea). Am seriously considering flipping my Lynskey and buying this (and have a reasonably good reason, too - I have realized that steel may be real, titanium be amazium or whatever, but i find both of them to boring AF to ride, and would much rather ride carbon).

TBH, most bikes that have internal routing through the bars/stem/HT make me lusty. The first time that I saw a pic of a completely cable-free Madone front end... oof.
Old 11-30-19, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Just say "No" to that paint job. Also not fond of the chainstay shape.
Old 11-30-19, 08:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just say "No" to that paint job. Also not fond of the chainstay shape.
I think you are looking for the "I want Indyfabz's approval of my choices" thread. This isnt it. Have any bike stuff you lust for, that you want to share?
Old 11-30-19, 08:53 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Robbyville - how long was your wait period for the Speedvagen? They certainly are gorgeous. I simply dont have the patience to wait more than a few weeks for a bike, though

Originally Posted by WhyFi
TBH, most bikes that have internal routing through the bars/stem/HT make me lusty. The first time that I saw a pic of a completely cable-free Madone front end... oof.
Hah, i hear you. My shortlisting criteria for the new road bike had "absolutely no exposed cable around the cockpit" rule. My Shiv seems messy by comparison, actually.... that's a candidate for the next upgrade.
Old 11-30-19, 09:13 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Robbyville - how long was your wait period for the Speedvagen? They certainly are gorgeous. I simply dont have the patience to wait more than a few weeks for a bike, though
From fitting to sign off on geometry and paint just under 4mths. Little painful I must admit especially for someone who has a bit of an addiction to urgency. But the joy I felt when I received the frame, fork, bar, seat post and started to build... it was awesome.

Old 11-30-19, 09:31 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
I don't lust after any bike right now, thankfully I really like my Ridley, but If there were more money available than what we could spend, I'd have to buy a Speedwagen.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 11-30-19, 09:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I lusted for a handbuilt steel road bike that I made and got that a coupe years ago after taking a winter building class.

I now lust for a gravel frame built by me. Itll be a few years at least due to startup costs. Zona tubing with S bend stays and a Whiskey TA 1 1/8 fork. Itll be lighter than any steel production gravel frame and still plenty stiff.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-30-19, 09:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Meh. 90 days after you hypothetically got this one, you'd be lusting after another bike...........that doesn't have goofy looking fork paint. On the positive side, it should be easy to matchy matchy your kits. BTW, that fork paint looks like socks that a teenage girl would be wearing to school.

Last edited by seypat; 11-30-19 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-30-19, 09:46 AM
indyfabz

I think you are looking for the "I want Indyfabz's approval of my choices" thread. This isnt it. Have any bike stuff you lust for, that you want to share?
What was it about going to re-hab that Amy Winehouse sang?

In any event, I don't lust after bike stuff. I I did, it might be a custom touring or bikepacking bike from Co-Mo with a much better paint job than that Orbea. (I have seen a bunch of Co-Mos in my lifetime. Only one or two of them were "Ho hum." None of them was bad. The rest were gorgeous. I am generally not a fan to two-tone fades but I have loved every one of their I have seen.) My only issue with them now is that a traditional 3x is not among available gearing options, althoughI guess I could buy the frame only and have it built to my liking.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-30-19 at 09:51 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-30-19, 09:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
BTW, that fork paint looks like socks that a teenage girl would be wearing to school.
My first thought was Keith Haring mashup.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-30-19, 09:50 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by robbyville
From fitting to sign off on geometry and paint just under 4mths. Little painful I must admit especially for someone who has a bit of an addiction to urgency. But the joy I felt when I received the frame, fork, bar, seat post and started to build... it was awesome.
That's not bad at all - i dont know why i had the impression that their waitlist was years. The Venge is the first bike i have bought fully ready to ride - pretty much every other bike was assembled myself, and yeah, it is a pretty sweet feeling when it all comes together.

Meh. 90 days after you hypothetically got this one, you'd be lusting after another bike...........that doesn't have goofy looking fork paint. On the positive side, it should be easy to matchy matchy your kits. BTW, that fork paint looks like socks that a high school girl would be wearing to school.
Now that you have gotten off your chest - do you actually have anything to contribute (I know, it almost feels churlish to ask you to add more, after that immense effort above)?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-30-19, 10:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I sold the Salsa Fargo, so it's time for a new mountain bike.

Nothing too pricey

Last edited by noodle soup; 11-30-19 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:11 AM
seypat

That's not bad at all - i dont know why i had the impression that their waitlist was years. The Venge is the first bike i have bought fully ready to ride - pretty much every other bike was assembled myself, and yeah, it is a pretty sweet feeling when it all comes together.

Now that you have gotten off your chest - do you actually have anything to contribute (I know, it almost feels churlish to ask you to add more, after that immense effort above)?
Well, since you asked, I can add this. Look what my teenage daughter is wearing around the house today!

Likes For seypat:
Old 11-30-19, 10:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
You just posted your teenage daughter in a thread titled "object of lust"?

Dude.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-30-19, 10:20 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
That's not bad at all - i dont know why i had the impression that their waitlist was years.
The waiting list for a Vanilla was several years long, which is one of the reasons Speedvagen was created.

Speedvagen was started to make mostly stock geometry framesets, but few a few options.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:28 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You just posted your teenage daughter in a thread titled "object of lust"?

Dude.

Maybe I shouldn't have. OP and others might be lusting after the socks she has on as well. Do you have a pair like that? It seems long, garish socks were a thing a year or two ago. People had to do something to cover up their chicken legs. Probably not a problem for the OP since he has massive guads. Sadly, I have to go rake leaves. This was fun while it lasted.

BTW, you should be thinking about your comment next time you post a picture of your daughter.........
in the Addition thread. Dude, that's calling the kettle black.

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 10:31 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Your language is totally DISGUSTING! And so is the bike

Last edited by cycledogg; 11-30-19 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For cycledogg:
Old 11-30-19, 10:36 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Well, since you asked, I can add this. Look what my teenage daughter is wearing around the house today!

Well, i dont need to lust for socks like that. I *have* socks just like that.

To pair with that brightly colored bike, of course
Old 11-30-19, 10:45 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The waiting list for a Vanilla was several years long, which is one of the reasons Speedvagen was created.
Speedvagen was started to make mostly stock geometry framesets, but few a few options.
Huh, i did not know that. Funnily enough, last week I would have put a Vanilla as one of my dream bikes - or even gotten on a Speedwagen list if i had known it was a few months only. But i just had this epiphany that i Do Not Like riding steel or titanium. I've always kinda known it, I guess, just never got around to asking myself why I own a custom steel, a Ti, etc.

Venge for racing/hard group rides. That particular Orbea for solo rides/travel (AYHSMB - I'll post a lot of photos when i get it, just to piss off some folks ). Shiv - to be replaced by a P3X at some point - for that other type of racing. I might actually be ok with a 3-bike all-carbon stable.
Old 11-30-19, 12:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Seems appropriate to post a teenager here. When people start in on their "dream" whatever, I think of teens with posters of supercars or supermodels. We're mostly adults here, make it real and post in Hot r Not. Adolescent noodling otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.