Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit Shimano Pedals 105 PD-R7000

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-08-19, 07:38 PM
diverge52rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I understand counterfeit gear is old news in cycling but these fake Shimano pedals really opened my eyes. The genuine 105s aren't terribly expensive to begin with (unless you're in certain parts of the world) and the fakes were only selling for about $25 less than what I could find on Amazon. The idea of these "used-counterfeit goods" ending up on the second-hand market makes me wary of what's floating out there ...

The video is in Korean, so maybe someone in the community can further elaborate. Photos at the end show very subtle differences in packaging/manufacturing between the fake and genuine product:

There's another video (in English) where fake Ultegra pedals are compared to a set of Dura-Ace, but I don't know if there's a legit comparison to be had there.
Old 12-08-19, 07:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Has anyone here ever purchased a counterfeit Shimano part? Where would you buy them?
Old 12-08-19, 08:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Has anyone here ever purchased a counterfeit Shimano part? Where would you buy them?
AliExpress.
Old 12-08-19, 09:04 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
AliExpress says it all in one word. I have even seen counterfeit toothpaste on that thing.
Old 12-08-19, 09:08 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
What....30 bucks for some 105 pedals isn't reasonable?
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 12-09-19, 05:49 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I bought some SPD-SL pedals from Aliexpress recently. They were not Shimano branded but they were in almost every way, down to fine details, Shimano-like. But they did not work in that it was very difficult to clip out of one of them. I got a half refund. I think I will be able to use the other, if not both, eventually.

My take was that they are not counterfeits so much as seconds, that have failed Shimano quality control and are being sold (in my case) under a different name, or perhaps, in this thread's case as "fake," cheaper Shimano pedals.
Old 12-09-19, 05:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by diverge52rider
I understand counterfeit gear is old news in cycling but these fake Shimano pedals really opened my eyes. The genuine 105s aren't terribly expensive to begin with (unless you're in certain parts of the world) and the fakes were only selling for about $25 less than what I could find on Amazon. The idea of these "used-counterfeit goods" ending up on the second-hand market makes me wary of what's floating out there ...

The video is in Korean, so maybe someone in the community can further elaborate. Photos at the end show very subtle differences in packaging/manufacturing between the fake and genuine product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4suCNkcts

There's another video (in English) where fake Ultegra pedals are compared to a set of Dura-Ace, but I don't know if there's a legit comparison to be had there.

I would say e-Bay and Amazon also. These are fake and detectable with the packaging, but many of the e-Bay deals will also sell 'white box' parts. All real shimano parts I have bought have had instructions and an exploded diagram with sharp, clear (but tiny ) printing. Caveat Emptor always on too good to be true deals. Used is a real crap shoot.
Old 12-09-19, 07:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by timtak
I bought some SPD-SL pedals from Aliexpress recently. They were not Shimano branded but they were in almost every way, down to fine details, Shimano-like. But they did not work in that it was very difficult to clip out of one of them. I got a half refund. I think I will be able to use the other, if not both, eventually.

My take was that they are not counterfeits so much as seconds, that have failed Shimano quality control and are being sold (in my case) under a different name, or perhaps, in this thread's case as "fake," cheaper Shimano pedals.
I have gotten 100% real deal Shimano SPD-SL cleats from AliExpress at a great price, but I understood the risks.
Old 12-09-19, 07:47 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have gotten 100% real deal Shimano SPD-SL cleats from AliExpress at a great price, but I understood the risks.
I was not so lucky. 3 sets of Shimano spd-sl cleats in Shimano packaging. Ad said they were overstock from 2016. None of them would properly release from my Ultegra R8000 pedals. Less than $20 shipped so it wasn't a huge loss. Still, that was my first and last order from Ali-Express. YMMV.
Old 12-09-19, 07:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I was not so lucky. 3 sets of Shimano spd-sl cleats in Shimano packaging. Ad said they were overstock from 2016. None of them would properly release from my Ultegra R8000 pedals. Less than $20 shipped so it wasn't a huge loss. Still, that was my first and last order from Ali-Express. YMMV.
Hmmm. Haven’t tried mine yet. I suppose they could have fooled my expert eye.
Old 01-27-20, 04:23 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

I would be very surprised that a company that is so protective of its pricing and distribution network of its legitimate product would EVER let "seconds" be sold or even taken from the factory, even is rendered 'sterile" by removing branding. My call, they are PRC sourced COUNTERFEITS.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 01-27-20, 04:54 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I would be very surprised that a company that is so protective of its pricing and distribution network of its legitimate product would EVER let "seconds" be sold or even taken from the factory, even is rendered 'sterile" by removing branding. My call, they are PRC sourced COUNTERFEITS.
Maybe but, if they were counterfeits that were that good at replicating the pedal/mechanism part, then I would have thought that they would have replicated the axle, but the axle was completely different. There was for instance, no flat part on the axle to tighten it but rather used an Allen key through the crank. And they were sold as another brand. Perhaps they were counterfeit seconds.

I have also purchased some light bladed spoked deep rimmed wheels which look identical to a famous brand, had that brand's rim tape, but no branded printing and a slight bump/gap at the join in the wheel. I asked for a partial refund due to the gap and was told at this price, that is what you should expect. I am still using those ones gap and all. I presumed that they were seconds that had failed the famous brand's QA too. But maybe not.
Old 01-27-20, 05:54 PM
Bill in VA

Maybe but, if they were counterfeits that were that good at replicating the pedal/mechanism part, then I would have thought that they would have replicated the axle, but the axle was completely different. There was for instance, no flat part on the axle to tighten it but rather used an Allen key through the crank. And they were sold as another brand. Perhaps they were counterfeit seconds.

I have also purchased some light bladed spoked deep rimmed wheels which look identical to a famous brand, had that brand's rim tape, but no branded printing and a slight bump/gap at the join in the wheel. I asked for a partial refund due to the gap and was told at this price, that is what you should expect. I am still using those ones gap and all. I presumed that they were seconds that had failed the famous brand's QA too. But maybe not.
I used to work in a job that encountered counterfeit items. In counterfeiting, both items, money, and other documents, the level of sophistication is both based upon skill of the counterfeiter, and the intended use of the item. The first is possibly an issue here, however the second is most likely the main part. These manufactured counterfeits are usually (but not always) sold in a venue that does not allow close inspection and will often have many photos of the items, but photos of key areas that would reveal the non-authentic nature of the product are not there. International internet buying is a perfect opportunity for this. Both from the aspects I mentioned, and from the hassle at getting a refund if detected. Even if the money is immediately refunded, the nature of the sales platform is such that many folks will just say live and learn and not pursue refunds or leave bad reviews (which might be removed). In fact, reviews and refunds also help the counterfeiter fine-tune the product to more accurately simulate the true item. Additionally, non-branded items are more accurately called knockoffs as they look like, but do not present via names and branding to be the original.

In currency and travel documents, they are often not designed to fool experts, but to look good enough to get past a cursory inspection. Bogus currency gets negotiated at retailers, not banks for a reason. Bad ID documents are not usually shown to issuing authorities or police, immigration or customs officials who might be able to detect them, but will be shown as ID where detection is minimal or used in another country..

In my experience with Shimano pedals, the versions with the flats are often lower on the group/name level than the allen key version which is present on the higher end both for both appearance and quality. Some in the middle range may have both.

From your reply, given the major anomalies from the actual brand(s) they resemble (axles, etc.), or they do not bear the brand name or totally replicate a named brand, that would not actually be a counterfeit. Yes there might be patent infringement, but that is beyond the scope of this thread. I have seen seconds of items, but they were branded, came in a manufactures packaging and were labeled as a blem (and often marked with on the item with a punch mark, a "B", or other symbol, and carried a reduced warranty.

Whether, counterfeit, replica, knock-off, etc., my issue is buyer beware (especially with PRC sold items, eBay items, or lately Amazon items), and additionally, would you trust the item if it was NOT the actual branded item, especially a stressed item on a bicycle like a rim, pedal or stem..
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 01-27-20, 06:39 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
would you trust the item if it was NOT the actual branded item, especially a stressed item on a bicycle like a rim, pedal or stem..

The pedals were too difficult to clip in and out of to use but I do intend to try lubrication and the like to attempt to use them in the future. I am still using the wheels and bought another pair, which I have yet to use, aware that they would come with a defect. They did come with a similar sort of defect, but having ridden a few thousand km on the first pair, I will be using the second pair too.
Old 01-27-20, 07:51 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Hmmm. Haven’t tried mine yet. I suppose they could have fooled my expert eye.
I purchased a bunch of cleats from Ali-Express as well. All indications are they are real. I compared the packaging and contents to a set in a Trek store. I have them on one set of shoes right now. No issues at all clipping in and out.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-28-20, 06:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I purchased R8000 SPD SL pedals through AliExpress for $130. They came complete in Shimano packaging down to the R and L baggies, and had the yellow cleats as well. They are the real deal.
Old 01-28-20, 08:38 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
At first, I was wondering why anyone would bother to build a fake a mid-tier groupset part like 105. Seems like slapping some Dura Ace or (in the case of wheels) Zipp logos on it would maximize profits, right?

I never really thought about this before, but I would wager the majority of people buying 105 pedals online would never even think to verify the authenticity of the product, or inspect the packaging closely, etc. They just need a new set of pedals and see a low price, know 105 is decent, smash the buy button and ride them. They may or may not have problems with them, but even if they do, they're 105 pedals... they probably just shrug their shoulders and buy a new set in a year or two and chalk it up to bad luck.

With Dura Ace and Zipp wheels people are far more likely to be suspicious of fakes and take a close look at the packaging, logos, product. If a Dura Ace or Zipp product fails right away, the buyer is far more likely to be going back to the manufacture who may then try to hunt down the seller and get them shut down.

Buyer beware, I guess. I wonder if I've got any fake parts on my bikes? I've bought lots of stuff from Amazon and Ebay over the years.
Old 01-28-20, 09:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

With Dura Ace and Zipp wheels people are far more likely to be suspicious of fakes and take a close look at the packaging, logos, product.
I think that prospective buyers of high end stuff are more likely to question and investigate the source before buying, especially if the price seems to be too good to be true.
Old 01-28-20, 09:55 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I have not run into counterfeit parts from AliExpress. Although I'm sure there are plenty. I built up two bikes with a 105 and an Ultegra groupset and from everything I can see they were 100% authentic. They work fine. I compared them to the real thing in a shop and I can't tell any difference.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 01-28-20, 11:38 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
This is NOTHING new.
In Asia, Shimano fakes abound. Fake Shimano cranksets get broken a lot. In many cases, even the seller or even the distributors won't know either, that's how much fakes are over there.
It's not limited to just Shimano either. FSA, 3T, Zipp, Easton, Specialized, Cervelo,.. have tons of fakes floating around. Sometimes the fakes are really fakes, other times they are "factory seconds" that employees steal (though the factories try to tighten this down but some simply get to the outside world).
Old 10-09-22, 02:00 AM
ilovehelmets

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From a video on youtube comparing real to fake pd-r7000 pedals, the real tell is if the tension screw clicks when turned.
Old 10-27-22, 07:00 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Sounds more like grey market to me.
Old 10-27-22, 01:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Recent MTBR thread showing a counterfeit XT chain. OP confused the issue from the start with his title and description - both are new chains. It's not just the packaging. Someone made stamping stuff to put the logo on the cheap chain links. Bought via eBay, not Ali Express

One week old chain doesn't look like one month old chain? | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-27-22 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 01:43 PM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I purchased R8000 SPD SL pedals through AliExpress for $130. They came complete in Shimano packaging down to the R and L baggies, and had the yellow cleats as well. They are the real deal.
Because someone going through the effort to counterfeit pedals wouldn't counterfeit the packaging and cleats as well?
Old 11-15-22, 02:33 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Old thread - but I'd just add that it seems likely that a lot of this stuff is product that fails inspections ends up getting sold on the secondary market. This would also include packaging materials that get rejected due to minor imperfections/QC issues.

The example above where the box color is way off but everything else on the box seems to match what I'm describing. If someone has the capability to match all of Shimano's box specs, graphics, cutouts, etc then it seems likely they'd be able to get the color a lot closer as well. Alternatively, it's entirely possible that a whole batch of authentic Shimano boxes got rejected due to the color being wrong, and ended up in the back of someone's van instead of the trash. Those make a perfect opportunity to then stuff some fake chains into and sell for a quick profit.

I remain confused about how anyone is making fake bike parts.

Chains? Yeah, OK. There are loads of generic chains out there so maybe it's not so crazy to think that someone got their hands on a big spool of unbranded 12sp chain and they're busy stamping away at night waiting for their buddy who works at the box factory to swing by with some rejected boxes.

But pedals? Shifters? Derailleurs? Most of this stuff seems way too complicated for someone to DIY in their garage, so is there an entire factory somewhere churning out fake Shimano parts? Did someone steal enough manufacturing equipment and raw materials from Shimano that they can assemble this stuff in a way that is (almost) indistinguishable from the real deal? I mean... the fake stuff usually works, but building a functioning fake shifter seems really complicated, not to mention expensive. Again I question why they wouldn't make fake Ultegra pedals instead of 105.

Factory rejects/seconds or other stolen merchandise being resold makes more sense to me... maybe there was a whole run of 105 pedals where they messed up the click on the tensioner, and that rejected batch all ended up stolen?

I dunno. I am super leery of buying anything on Ebay/Amazon these days, but with all the supply chain nonsense of the last few years I have rolled the dice a few times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.