Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminium 700c fork

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aluminium 700c fork

Old 02-10-20, 08:36 AM
Cagstok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aluminium 700c fork

Hello everyone,

I have been searching online for an aluminium 700c fork with 1 1/8" threadless steel steerer tube, straight blades and <£100 for literally days now. It is to replace my Jamis Ventura fork which is now bent having hit the bonnet of an uber driver emerging from a side road. With no luck I've now created a BF account to ask for help.

The only one I found was on santafixie website but 1) santafixie has a horrendous rating on trustpilot, 2) no side view is shown for me to check the small angle change at the fork crown/steerer tube and 3) they don't pick up their phone or respond to emails.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 02-10-20, 08:44 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Do you understand that straight blades are purely an aesthetic choice? If you want the fork to look the same then that's one thing, but if you just need the fork to work the same then you only need to match axle-to-crown length and fork rake. Rake on a straight-leg fork is handled by the legs coming out of the crown at an angle, while most curved-leg forks accomplish the same thing by curving toward the desired rake position further down. But if you mounted two forks with identical axle-to-crown and rake, but one straight and the other one curved, there would be no difference in function.

Ok - one small difference - if all other things are equal, a curved leg fork might give a slightly softer ride due to the slightly longer legs over which force is distributed. But this difference would be minor and there would probably be other differences between any two forks to make direct comparisons impossible.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-10-20, 09:12 AM
Cagstok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Do you understand that straight blades are purely an aesthetic choice? If you want the fork to look the same then that's one thing, but if you just need the fork to work the same then you only need to match axle-to-crown length and fork rake. Rake on a straight-leg fork is handled by the legs coming out of the crown at an angle, while most curved-leg forks accomplish the same thing by curving toward the desired rake position further down. But if you mounted two forks with identical axle-to-crown and rake, but one straight and the other one curved, there would be no difference in function.

Ok - one small difference - if all other things are equal, a curved leg fork might give a slightly softer ride due to the slightly longer legs over which force is distributed. But this difference would be minor and there would probably be other differences between any two forks to make direct comparisons impossible.
Thank you. This considerably widens my search parameters!
Old 02-10-20, 09:32 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The Jamis website has geometry charts for the current Vantura bikes. They list fork rake (which differs by frame size) but not fork length. Luckily fork 'axle to crown' length is much easier to measure than fork rake.
Old 02-10-20, 10:51 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Have you contacted Jamis as they may be able to supply you an original spec replacement.