Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Urban Cycling Shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Urban Cycling Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 06:30 PM
Gino71

Bikes: 1998 Kestrel Rubicon Comp, 1980's Nashbar Sport RX, 20?? Tommaso Augusta, 2016 Pure Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Urban Cycling Shoes

I'm starting to get back into cycling, casually around town, nothing intense. I've been trying to research brands of cycling shoes and most are clipped which I probably don't need since it's a more casual ride around the small town I live in. I've been looking at FiveTen shoes but most are leather and I hate wearing leather shoes in Florida. I'm used to wearing mesh, knit or canvas since they're much more breathable.

I'm curious about the soles of the shoes on the bottom of the FiveTen mountain bike shoes that have the black soles with the round circles on the bottom. The soles look stiff and durable but how is the grip? I've seen a few different styles in a few of the LBS in my area, not until the last day or two did I realize I never thought to try a pair on or feel the bottom of sole of the shoes. I've also come across Chrome brand too. They seem more like casual skate shoes with the traditional gum soles.

Any experience with either brand or possibly another brand someone can recommend? Any website anyone can recommend other than Amazon or Zappos that might carry a good range of casual cycling shoes? I wear my regular shoes but I'm unsure if long term riding will dig into the gum soles of my shoes. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-20, 06:36 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Look more at MTB or Touring shoes. Other than commuting when I'm wearing my work shoes, I still wear my old 1990s Specialized touring shoes... They have leather when the toe clips/straps go, otherwise mesh uppers. Fiberglass shank (reinforcement under the pedal area), and easy to walk in.

Old 02-19-20, 06:41 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Perhaps the shoes are designed to be used with spike pedals.

https://spank-ind.com/products/spike-pedals
Old 02-19-20, 06:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
For your kind of riding it won't matter a whole lot. Find some that have a somewhat stiff and flat (not heavily lugged) sole.
Old 02-19-20, 06:46 PM
Gino71

Bikes: 1998 Kestrel Rubicon Comp, 1980's Nashbar Sport RX, 20?? Tommaso Augusta, 2016 Pure Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I keep forgetting about the bike brand's like Specialized have their own line of gear. I think part of the reason I'm over thinking it, as usual, is because I just picked up a fixed gear bike and in case I have to do emergency stops ( spills ).
Old 02-19-20, 11:07 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
5-10s are good shoes with plenty grip using a special rubber. They work best with platform pedals that have screw grips , but they will work well with any pedal. The sole is stiff enough for pedalling, but are easy to walk with as well. They have dozens of different colours so you can choose to stand out or casually wear around town.
My only problem with them, is in the rain they absorb water like a sponge and take a long time to dry out
For commuting and city riding they would make a great shoe
I know REI carries them. The sizing is slightly smaller, but that may be on purpose to keep a tight fit for the pedal
Old 02-20-20, 12:47 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
You may wish to also consider the Shimano GR5. I tried the 5-10s and the Shimano GR5 shoe. Similar sole, but less padding on the Shimano, so I figured less hot, plus they fit identical to my SPD Shimano shoes which is to say, wider foot-friendly. I take size 46-47. REI has them also, and I got them (dark blue) on sale for $65 at REI in January. They come with blue and black laces, but I put red in mine. (Thanks Carl Perkins)
Old 02-20-20, 01:46 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Gino71
I'm starting to get back into cycling, casually around town, nothing intense. I've been trying to research brands of cycling shoes and most are clipped which I probably don't need since it's a more casual ride around the small town I live in. I've been looking at FiveTen shoes but most are leather and I hate wearing leather shoes in Florida. I'm used to wearing mesh, knit or canvas since they're much more breathable.

I'm curious about the soles of the shoes on the bottom of the FiveTen mountain bike shoes that have the black soles with the round circles on the bottom. The soles look stiff and durable but how is the grip? I've seen a few different styles in a few of the LBS in my area, not until the last day or two did I realize I never thought to try a pair on or feel the bottom of sole of the shoes. I've also come across Chrome brand too. They seem more like casual skate shoes with the traditional gum soles.

Any experience with either brand or possibly another brand someone can recommend? Any website anyone can recommend other than Amazon or Zappos that might carry a good range of casual cycling shoes? I wear my regular shoes but I'm unsure if long term riding will dig into the gum soles of my shoes. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Check out the Chrome shoes in the middle of this thread, in post number 7 : https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...awd-shoes.html
Old 02-20-20, 07:29 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For riding around town, anything works, preferably with a stiff sole. Naturally the climate is a bit different in Wisconsin, but I've found Keen's to be nice, and they have some ventilated styles. Hiking boots during the winter. I've even worn sandals. Flip flops require a bit of technique.
Old 02-23-20, 06:51 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Gino71

It sounds like you are leaning or using a platform pedal. For any kind of urban riding, street, bike path,whatever, you are much better off with a full width, length pedal either touring or platform with toe clips. You want to have control of your feet at all times to get you out of emergencies and to quickly accelerate out of trouble. The good heavy plastic toe clips are best because they toe ends are beveled to receive the curves of the shoe and won't scuff whatever shoe you happen to be wearing. Wear that along with a nice leather strap to keep the clip open all the time and wear it a little loose so there is absolutely no problems pulling your foot out. If you use clips the soles are going to have to be smooth so the foot won't hang in the pedal at any time. The sole is going to have to be stiff, preferably reinforced with a shank even, especially with the touring pedal. Less stress on the foot and less aching feet.
Old 02-23-20, 07:49 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Also check out the Pearl Izumi 'Fuel' line of shoes. Dedicated cycling shoes, but they look like a slightly chunky cross-trainer. Stiff through the toes and the arch, but with a nice thick heel pad for walking; I've spent whole days in mine.
They're 2-bolt SPD compatible, although it comes with a cover plate over the bolt-holes. The outsole looks like a running shoe, but is a much thicker, harder rubber than you'd find on a trainer.

WRT purchasing online, I'm always wary of the sizing of new-to-me brand. I tend to fall in between sizes (11-11.5 US/ 45-46 EU) so unless i've already owned it before, I like to try it on.
For example, my Shimano road-racing shoes are perfect at a EU45, but the much bulkier Pearl Izumi's took a EU46.
If you really, really want to buy-before-you-try, get them from a site that has a really good return/exchange policy like REI,
Old 02-23-20, 08:15 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Try a pair of tennis court shoes with 'spiked' MTB/BMX pedals. The shoes are fairly stiff, lots of models have mesh uppers with extra leather/reinforcement at the wear points (starting and stopping on a court is tough on shoes), a sole pattern that'll grip the pedal's spikes, and easy to walk around on. Adidas, NB, Ascics, Nike all make them. 'Spiked' pedals example are like the Crank Bros 50/50 models (cheaper versions exist). They either use adjustable set screws as the spikes, or some come with the spikes molded into the pedal boys.
Old 02-23-20, 10:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
For pinned pedal commuter bike, I've always been happy just getting a pair of skate shoes -- eg. Nike SB or DC Shoes, Converse, etc.. often models in canvas if you don't want a leather or suede upper. Typically not too expensive and lots of designs to choose from. The patterns/tread on the soles typically work well with pinned pedals, with preference for the NikeSB pattern
eg.
CANVAS SKATE SHOES

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-23-20, 10:23 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I commute in stiff-soled sneakers with toe clips. A coule of years ago I started adding inserts with stiff arch supports. Easy, inexpensive and effective.
Old 02-23-20, 10:55 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Think about sandals. I bought a pair of Tevas a few years ago just to see what all the hype was about, and one day I thought I'd test them on the bike. I was really surprised how well they worked, and they're just the cheapest model they make. The sole is even stiffer and more supportive than the mesh-top Skechers I bought, by quite a bit; the Skechers fold over the pedals and get uncomfortable after a while. Air-conditioned comfort.
Old 02-23-20, 11:29 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Vans!

Say no more!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 02-23-20, 01:13 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
FiveTen

5 10

five ten

FIVE TEN

EXPENSIVE YES BUT very very good shoes. Great grip and you can get them with a clipless set up as well. Good comfortable long lasting cycling shoes. Just suck it up and spend the 150 bucks and buy these shoes. You will be happy
Old 02-23-20, 02:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I think I looked up FiveTens in the past, but looking now, it seems they're an Adidas model of shoe? I didn't realize -- thought they were their own company. Though they're pretty heavily built up and typically listed for MTB protection and use. I don't know how heavy they are, but perhaps more shoe than the OP is looking for.
Old 02-23-20, 02:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You might like something like these that come with a detachable plat that fits over the nut holes and recess in the sole of the shoe for clipless pedals cleats. With the plate on the shoe is like a normal shoe but with a pretty stiff sole. If later you decided that you wanted to try clipless pedals then the plate can be removed and clipless cleats installed in that recess as the mounting nuts are already there.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-23-20, 07:25 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think I looked up FiveTens in the past, but looking now, it seems they're an Adidas model of shoe? I didn't realize -- thought they were their own company. Though they're pretty heavily built up and typically listed for MTB protection and use. I don't know how heavy they are, but perhaps more shoe than the OP is looking for.
You can't have too much shoe.
Old 02-23-20, 10:05 PM
Fredo_Adagio

1. Avoid shoes with laces! I had a bad experience with a shoe lace getting wrapped around a pedal when I was seven years old. I've been leery of riding with laced shoes ever since.
2. Consider getting pedals with a platform on one side and an SPD socket on the other side. Use them in conjunction with MTB shoes with a good tread and recessed SPD cleat. I have the Shimano A530 pedals on my touring bike. They are relatively light, and they do the job, but they are somewhat pricey. There are other brands that look similar but are cheaper.

Last edited by Fredo_Adagio; 02-23-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 10:29 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Here's a cheaper option by Venzo for a pedal with an SPD socket on one side and a platform on the other. I have pedals like this on my mountain bike, but they might be another brand. Again, I suggest getting mountain bike shoes with a good tread and recessed cleats.
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-24-20, 04:13 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
1. Avoid shoes with laces! I had a bad experience with a shoe lace getting wrapped around a pedal when I was seven years old. I've been leery of riding with laced shoes ever since.
2. Consider getting pedals with a platform on one side and an SPD socket on the other side. Use them in conjunction with MTB shoes with a good tread and recessed SPD cleat. I have the Shimano A530 pedals on my touring bike. They are relatively light, and they do the job, but they are somewhat pricey. There are other brands that look similar but are cheaper.
y
Thanks for the reminder to secure the laces on the shoes I use with Toe Clips.
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-24-20, 04:17 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
Here's a cheaper option by Venzo for a pedal with an SPD socket on one side and a platform on the other. I have pedals like this on my mountain bike, but they might be another brand. Again, I suggest getting mountain bike shoes with a good tread and recessed cleats.
You recommend clip less pedals for urban riding with frequent dismounts?
Old 02-24-20, 04:27 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Undone laces could become a serious problem on a fixed gear bike; but if you have the option to coast and backpedal, it's not much more than inconvenience as you have to stop and unwind the lace from the pedal axle (I have had that happen a few times).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.