Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Touring Forks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Touring Forks

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 04:32 AM
MHK1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Forks

Hi I have a Van Nicholas Yukon, the 2010 model, I need some strong forks that I can attach the anything cargo cages to, can anyone recommend a fork that will fit my bike? 700c wheels and rim brakes. Thanks
Old 03-05-20, 07:38 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by MHK1
Hi I have a Van Nicholas Yukon, the 2010 model, I need some strong forks that I can attach the anything cargo cages to, can anyone recommend a fork that will fit my bike? 700c wheels and rim brakes. Thanks
I had never heard of that brand before, they look like nice bikes

Regarding your request, I doubt that you will find a fork that is designed for both sidepull caliper brakes and "3-pack" mounts for the Surly Anything Cage.

You aren't exactly dead in the water, though, it just might take a little more component swapping than you would prefer.

You are most likely to find forks with 3-pack mounts designed for bikepacking bikes, so they will have clearance for large tires and have disc brake mounts.

I found the catalog for your bike and the fork has a 45mm rake (offset). Knowing that info, what you need to do next is measure the axle-to-crown length of your current fork:

You will need this measurement so that when you change out the fork the geometry of the bike doesn't change too much.

After you have that measurement, you can then start looking around to find a fork that matches the axle-to-crown length and rake of your current fork. You should really aim to get as close as possible, but you likely won't find a drop-in replacement.

This website has a really nice list of forks that could potentially work for your bike, and they very nicely list both the axle-to-crown, fork rake, and max tire size. Be advised, though, that all of these are designed for disc brakes, and some are for thru-axle wheels.

If you use one of those forks for your swap, you will also need to acquire a new front wheel that is compatible with disc brakes as well as whatever axle standard the fork requires, and a disc brake caliper. There are many available that will work with your current road brake levers, and you won't need to break the bank to find something that works.

Happy hunting!

(p.s. You might want to ask a moderator to move this to the "Touring" forum, you might get some better responses there)
Old 03-05-20, 08:13 AM
MHK1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thank you so much for this information, you have gone to a lot of trouble to help which is so nice of you, thanks again.
Old 03-05-20, 08:14 AM
MHK1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for going to so much trouble, this is really helpful, thanks again
Old 03-05-20, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I am unaware of a cantilever fork that also has the 3 anything bosses.

There is this from Topeak where you could get three sets and connect anything cages - https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...093-versamount
The other option is to get a steel cantilever fork from Black Mountain Cycles(monster cross) or Surly(long haul trucker) which both have mid-point bosses, then use that to attach 1 of the 3 mounting points and ziptie the cage the rest of the way.

Instead of the two options above, I would just get a steel fork and attach a front rack. That will allow for way more capacity that you could get with 2 anything cages. If you dont want that much gear up front(why wouldnt you, since front load is so much nicer?), then a front rack and randonneur bag would hold as much/more gear than a couple of trendy anything cages.

Good luck on the search and update the thread with what you find/decide!
Likes For mstateglfr: