Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

GPS Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 08:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
GPS Signal Issues

I got a new 1030 not too long ago. I am having issues finding a GPS signa. I have tried the gps/glonas/gallileo combinations and no luck with any.

Anybody have any issues with gps signals right now? Software is up to date and all that. Just did a PC sync and a app sync on the phone and not sure what to try right now. If the sky is clear tomorrow I will put it on the GPS setting and set it in the back yard in the open and see if will connect after a longer period of time but really just throwing ideas in the wind now.

I went from a 520 that was good, sometimes it took a minute or two to find the signal but never couldn't.
Frustrated with a new 1030. If I can't get this worked out I am not sure what I will do.

thoughts??
Old 03-07-20, 08:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Do a one step at a time fix. Take it outside and just try to find the US GPS system, with GLONASS and Gallileo turned off.

Ive read of units that just lose the local position and need to be restarted and given time to find the local constellation of satellites.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-07-20, 09:08 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Do a one step at a time fix. Take it outside and just try to find the US GPS system, with GLONASS and Gallileo turned off.

Ive read of units that just lose the local position and need to be restarted and given time to find the local constellation of satellites.
I have been reading on the Garmin forums for while now and that seems to be the consensus there as well. New units need time to find the signal I guess?

So I will take your advice and just start a ride with GPS only in the open back yard and let it sit and see if it works.

I also learned that an EPO (?) file uses data from rides in your history to find signals too. So as you get a history the GPS gets better I guess. I didn't know it worked like that on the consumer side.

I will be more patient with it and see what happens. I just don't remember this when I got my 500 or my 520 but that was a long time ago it seems.
Old 03-07-20, 09:19 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I would take it to a clear area where there are no big buildings or trees and see if it finds the satellites after a few minutes. I think GPS devices have to learn where they are and then they can find the single faster next time. I notice if I travel a few hundred miles away and then turn on my Garmin it needs a minute or so to orinate itself again.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-07-20, 09:23 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I would take it to a clear area where there are no big buildings or trees and see if it finds the satellites after a few minutes. I think GPS devices have to learn where they are and then they can find the single faster next time. I notice if I travel a few hundred miles away and then turn on my Garmin it needs a minute or so to orinate itself again.

thanks....I will try this tomorrow and see what happens. I should learn to be more patient I guess.
Old 03-07-20, 11:07 PM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This seems more like a database issue. I'd recheck to confirm that Garmin Express is up to date on your computer. Then let it check your Edge 1030 to make sure it has the correct maps database installed. This will likely require that you have an SD card installed in the slot due to the size of the data. Once you've done all that, I'd consider the soft reset where you hold the power button in for ten seconds. If still no joy, consider a device reset. That's a menu item. Then you can leave it outside for a while until it locates the satellites. If you recall, you did this with the Edge 500 also.
Old 03-08-20, 12:35 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a strong signal outside Seattle today. It took longer to get a fix than normal, but I had traveled 75 miles right before my activity.

Most of the GPS units I've had have had some kind of hiccup once in a great while and just not been able to find the satellites for a crazy long time. But then the next time it's back to normal. I hope yours is too.
Old 03-08-20, 02:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
GPS lock varies with weather and terrain. RFI/EMI from manmade sources may be a factor too, especially around high power stations, radio transmitters, or any location with faulty, "noisy" electromagnetic interference.

There's a bit of a shallow valley along my usual rural workout route where my old iPhone 4s would lose GPS sync. Doesn't happen as often with my newer Android phone or cheap XOSS G+ computer.

I've used the XOSS G+ for several weeks, about 500 miles, and on one day a couple of weeks ago it missed the first 15 miles of a 50 mile ride -- wouldn't lock and I didn't feel like waiting so I used my phone as a backup. And Saturday it took several minutes to lock GPS. Usually it takes only a few seconds. Other that that it's been reliable. Takes a bit longer to lock GPS on heavily overcast days or when a storm front is approaching. I see similar issues on those days from friends who use Garmin, Wahoo, etc., so it's a fairly common problem.

XOSS claims the G+ has full worldwide GPS compatibility, but it chooses automagically -- no user interface to manually select Galileo, etc. But it's been good for $50 or less (I got a second G+ for half price). Nothing fancy, no navigation aids, etc., but functional and compatible with all my older ANT+ and newer Bluetooth sensors.

Indoors (old apartment building, better construction than most newer buildings -- thicker walls, etc.), my XOSS G+ can rarely lock GPS, while my phones usually can. So I wouldn't be surprised to see GPS errors in an urban downtown's skyscraper valley. At a minimum there will probably be multipath distortion. But I'm betting most GPS devices and operating systems/apps can correct for that.

Incidentally, in ye bad old days of yore on Strava -- say, 2017 -- when we lost GPS sync we'd see a straight line across the terrain until it regained sync. No matter that our supposed cycling/running route crossed highways, open prairie, etc.

Meanwhile, more sophisticated activities apps like Cyclemeter would guesstimate our most likely route and artificially draw that route, which was much more useful. And it was 99.99% accurate when it guesstimated my route, even when GPS sync was lost. Wahoo Fitness app did this pretty well too.

Apparently Strava has added that capability, probably in response to customer complaints since other apps were better at handling GPS sync errors. Even when I know I've lost GPS sync (my bike computer makes annoyed beeping sounds), Strava does a good job of guesstimating and recreating my actual route. It's pretty accurate.
Old 03-08-20, 08:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
When you first turn on a GPS, it assumes you are where you were when it was last turned on. And it assumes that the satellite orbits are the same as they were before you turned it off last time. It takes a bit of time for the GPS to download new orbit information from the satellites to give you a better location.

But when new, most GPS manuals tell you that it might take several minutes for the GPS to figure out where it is with any accuracy, with a clear view of the sky. Smaller units with small patch antennas can lose position in heavy tree cover, so clear view of sky means that. And if you are in a city with tall buildings, you can have problems too. I was driving through downtown Chicago for work about a decade ago, my GPS stopped knowing where it was and never got it back because in between the tall buildings it could not get a signal from enough satellites.

I am surprised your instructions did not explain that a new GPS takes time to figure this stuff out the first time you turn it on.
Old 03-08-20, 10:11 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

So I tried a number of things this morning and after no luck I got with Garmin. So I am doing there protocol and if that doesn't work I am not sure what they will say to do.

I learned they say GPS + Glonass though, that is the best in the US. CS was helpful but I am doubting this will work and will be back with them shortly.
Old 03-08-20, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Are you conversing with Garmin on the phone or through email? I tried email support a few times, but that always gets me the pat answers and solutions. Talking with their support people on the phone has always yielded good results, though it might take time.

If this device is under warranty and they can't resolve it, they'll probably offer you a re-furb'd unit at some point which for all purposes is as good as a new one. Don't know if your new devices warranty start date comes into play though for refurbs so check, because their warranty for flat-rate repair refurbs is short.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-08-20, 12:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

So we have a resolution. After being with customer service a couple times and with their help they determined that the unit has a fault that will not allow it to connect to the GPS system. So they are replacing it under warranty. Got the return numbers and all that done. Goes back to Garmin for a new unit.

I do have to say having never used Garmin CS before they were very good and helpful. It didn't take long with her help to get to this point. A+ to Garmin for me.

Just have to wait the shipping to go back and forth to get back up and recording again..I just hope it doesn't take too long. They will have the defective unit Wednesday….I am really hopeing for less than a 7 day turn around!

thanks for all the tips on here too. I have learned a lot about gps units these last couple of day.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-20, 03:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Glad to hear that Garmin will replace. They are good at this, though sometimes are just not able to resolve odd issues.

Note that the Garmin 1030 manual states this:

"Go outside to an open area, The front of the device should be oriented towards the sky. Wait while the device locates satellites. It may take 30-60 seconds to locate satellite signals.

I have experienced long wait times, like multiple minutes, for a Garmin GPS to re-locate itself on the planet, mostly when I had traveled to a Euro country., for the reasons Tourist in MSN stated.
Old 03-08-20, 04:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Glad to hear that Garmin will replace. They are good at this, though sometimes are just not able to resolve odd issues.

Note that the Garmin 1030 manual states this:

"Go outside to an open area, The front of the device should be oriented towards the sky. Wait while the device locates satellites. It may take 30-60 seconds to locate satellite signals.

I have experienced long wait times, like multiple minutes, for a Garmin GPS to re-locate itself on the planet, mostly when I had traveled to a Euro country., for the reasons Tourist in MSN stated.
I tried everything, including the waiting of 20-30 minutes in by backyard 50 feet from anything.....nothing woke it up.

I have faith in Garmin will make it right but the only thing is it was a brand new 1030 and I will get a refurbished head unit in return so that kind of bums me out if that is what happens. but I guess if it works I guess it doesn't matter. I am optimistic this will be the end of the issues though.
Old 03-08-20, 05:46 PM
Steve B.

What was the return policy from the vendor ?.

I had issues with my first 1030, it was within the 30 day return window, so I sent it back, then purchased a 2nd from a different vendor, thinking bad units from the stock of the 1st vendor.

I would not worry much about a refurbished though, if the units work out of the box, they tend to be OK, outside of the typical Garmin OS issues, like LiveTrack and BlueTooth.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-08-20, 06:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Agree with Steve B, you want new so if the vendor will replace with new, go that route. I have always tried to get the seller to replace with new if something is defective out of the box.

I have bought a lot of heavily discounted "refurbished" stuff, 90 percent of the time it is as good as new but 10 percent of the time there was an internal intermittent fault, but when I bought it as refurbished it often came with shorter warranty, so some of my re-furbished stuff was worthless.

You should be getting the full warranty, but there is still the chance of an intermittent fault that the original buyer discovered and returned but when Garmin inspected it, they did not find the fault.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-08-20, 06:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

What was the return policy from the vendor ?.

I had issues with my first 1030, it was within the 30 day return window, so I sent it back, then purchased a 2nd from a different vendor, thinking bad units from the stock of the 1st vendor.

I would not worry much about a refurbished though, if the units work out of the box, they tend to be OK, outside of the typical Garmin OS issues, like LiveTrack and BlueTooth.
the vendor said I had to go through Garmin. I knew this at time of purchase. I didn't think it would ever come into play though. Thankfully Garmin CS was good today. I am not too concerned about Garmin taking care of me, I just don't want a lousy second unit I guess....just my paranoid fears coming through I guess.

I should trust them. Doesn't mater now, its in the mail and the waiting game starts...