Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recessed brake mount filler?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 05:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts

Hello. Doesn’t someone make a nylon filler to go in here?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-11-20, 05:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Why?
Old 03-11-20, 06:08 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
If you have an Ace Hardware store near you, they should have a decent selection of black plastic and chrome push-plugs. I've also had good luck on Amazon, with some careful measuring of the desired head size.
Old 03-11-20, 06:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
Because someone needs one.

I FOUND IT.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-11-20, 06:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
I'm curious. Was there a need to fill the brake binder hole (and thus not have a brake), or a spacer so that a non-recessed brake could be used? If the later, please share what you found, a lot of people would have a use for this. I don't recall ever needing one, but it would make sense.
Old 03-11-20, 07:01 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
What Rivendell sells:

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...n-brake-insert
Old 03-11-20, 07:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Yeah, I’ve bought them from Rivendell in the past, but I’m sure a good hardware store has a suitable nylon bushing.
Old 03-11-20, 07:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'm curious. Was there a need to fill the brake binder hole (and thus not have a brake), or a spacer so that a non-recessed brake could be used? If the later, please share what you found, a lot of people would have a use for this. I don't recall ever needing one, but it would make sense.
Yes, to use a nutted brake caliper on a frame drilled for recessed brakes.
Old 03-11-20, 07:32 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, I’ve bought them from Rivendell in the past, but I’m sure a good hardware store has a suitable nylon bushing.
Yeah, they even mention that in the description. Should be easy enough to find. “..not made for bikes”
Old 03-11-20, 08:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Dia Compe also makes them. I have a pair somewhere left over from the 4 pack I bought a couple years ago when I built the Bianchi (with nutted NR brakeset) for the Eroica auction in 2018:

Last edited by rccardr; 03-12-20 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 03-11-20, 10:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Gum
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 03-12-20, 12:29 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Yes, to use a nutted brake caliper on a frame drilled for recessed brakes.
...I've done this a couple of times. I never thought to look for something special, so I just drilled the threads out of a recessed brake nut so the nutted brake bolt would slide on through. Works fine.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-12-20, 12:45 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
This was a special rear brake bridge that was sold in the late 70's or early 80's (I can't exactly remember) with a special brass insert that just fit into that 1st recess. I remember them being a Cinelli brand item but of course they were probably sold under other brand names as well. I'm not where I can take a picture of what they looked like. I brazed them into a number of frames I or my frame building class students made back then. I remember being worried because when overhauling or repainting a bike they could be lost and there wasn't a supply of spares. If lost the whole bridge had to be bought again just to get that little part. Probably because that insert could be easily lost and costly to make, they weren't sold for too long of a time. However because brake bridges tend to be bought in volume they could have been used in manufacturing frames long afterward.

Of course there are other ways (some already mentioned) to turn an 8mm hole into a 6mm one. For example I have a lathe and know how to use it. However the original brass insert was pretty sweet.
Old 03-12-20, 01:17 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
I have one bike with nutted front brake that has what appears to be a Presta to Schreader valve stem adapter pressed into the rear hole in the fork crown.
Old 03-12-20, 10:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Some Cinelli brake bridges, like the one in the picture at the top of this discussion, were drilled and counterbored for a recessed Allen nut on both sides, so you could mount a caliper on either side of the bridge. To use a recessed mount caliper you only need one of the shouldered washers so the pivot bolt doesn't move around in the bridge. To use a standard nut mounted caliper, you'd use a shouldered washer on both sides of the bridge.
Old 03-12-20, 11:18 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I would only use metal for any part that in any way sustains bolt tension or supports the caliper or stud.

You can't tighten against plastic and have it not compress over time, requiring repeated tightening.

Or am I misunderstanding the intent here?

I took a couple of cuts off a 6mmIDx8mmOD aluminum spacer to adapt nutted Superbe calipers onto my CAAD3, I think it was as simple as that.
Metal washers can be found in an infinite range of dimensions to fill the little counterbore.

Last edited by dddd; 03-12-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 12:47 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Rivendell is mentioned quite often here for sourcing bike hardware.
Last year, I finally got to visit their place in Walnut Creek (A bit hard to find) and was surprised how sparse the place looked and there was not that much to see in terms of hardware and components. Just a couple of bikes kinda haphazardly parked in their entry space for display and a couple of small showcases with mostly literature and decals at that time. There were a lot of cyclists hanging around the front door, but it seems like most of them were just staging up for their morning group rides and were not really going into the store. Was also very surprised that they did not have the axle spacers I was looking for that day. I was quite perplexed and did not know what to make of Rivendell coming away from that visit. It sure fell off my list of bike places to visit/shop in after that. Maybe I just don't get what Rivendell is really all about?