Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mystery flat???

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mystery flat???

Old 10-06-20, 04:11 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Mystery flat???

So I went for my usual loop today and at the end of it I realized my front wheel had gone flat. Not a huge problem since I had a patch kit and was close to home so I decided to walk home and swap out my inner tube. Seeing that I had the time, I figured maybe I could patch my tube but I couldn't find the puncture so I decided to inflate it a little and put it into a tub of water. No bubbles. I noticed that the tube had been patched before but it seemed otherwise fine. Should I just put the tube back in? Should I retire it and use a new one?

I was also able to ride it for the entire ride (about 18ish miles) and didn't notice an issue until I stopped and decided to head home.

Ideas? Also I've noticed I've been having many more punctures than I used to when I ran GP4000s. I'm on GP5000s now. Maybe I was just lucky before?
Old 10-06-20, 04:18 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Interesting. I have no answers for you. I am currently riding GP4000s and love them. I now realize that when they are done I'll have to go for GP5000s. I'm not looking forward to that day.
Old 10-06-20, 05:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check the valve core. Last time I had a mystery leak with no puncture that I could find, it was a slightly loose valve core. Snugging it down fixed it.That's happened to me with Presta and Schrader valves.

Another mystery leak was at the base of the valve stem. It was nicked by a burr on the rim's valve stem hole. It only leaked at certain angles. I managed to slow it down with a bit of tape, enough to get home.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-06-20, 05:54 PM
mattscq

Originally Posted by canklecat
Check the valve core. Last time I had a mystery leak with no puncture that I could find, it was a slightly loose valve core. Snugging it down fixed it.That's happened to me with Presta and Schrader valves.

Another mystery leak was at the base of the valve stem. It was nicked by a burr on the rim's valve stem hole. It only leaked at certain angles. I managed to slow it down with a bit of tape, enough to get home.
How do you snug it down? It was tightened all the way.

A development: I put the tube back in and reset the tire. While I was pumping I noticed the pressure wouldn't go past like 20 psi and I heard a faint leaking noise. I checked to see the valve connection was properly fitted and tried two different pumps just in case. The leaking noise was loudest in an area about opposite to the valve (if the valve was at 12 o'clock, I'd say the noise was loudest about 5 o'clock). I checked the tire and it isn't breached on the inside and the rim tape is still basically factory fresh. I replaced the tube with a new one and it worked.

I wonder what happened and what the cause was. It's a little weird. I guess I'll have to buy another tube as a spare, but I'd like to diagnose the problem to know how to avoid it in the future. I'd go tubeless if I hadn't just bought these tires a couple of months ago…
Old 10-06-20, 06:08 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You likely have a small pin hole that wasn't apparent with just a slight inflation. Pump it up as full as you dare and try the water again. I actually have greater success in finding a pinhole leak by passing the inflated tube past my ear. Not only is the leak easy to hear, you can sense the puff of air. Once you find it, put a patch on and you're good.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-06-20, 06:46 PM
mattscq

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
You likely have a small pin hole that wasn't apparent with just a slight inflation. Pump it up as full as you dare and try the water again. I actually have greater success in finding a pinhole leak by passing the inflated tube past my ear. Not only is the leak easy to hear, you can sense the puff of air. Once you find it, put a patch on and you're good.
I might just try that. What is a possible cause for a micro pinhole?

Question for everyone:

How many patches do you usually do on a tube before you give up on it?
Old 10-06-20, 07:33 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq

Question for everyone:

As long as the patches aren’t overlapping, there isn’t a limit. I have one tube with 7-8 patches.
Old 10-06-20, 08:53 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If the stem is slightly bent it can feel tight but not be seated all the way. It happened on my wife’s bike. I could not find the slow leak, then noticed the stem. Straightened it and no more slow leak.
Old 10-07-20, 06:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

I've used tubes with many, many patches. I use Rema TipTop patches, which I've found to be reliable. In fact, I see no reason to consider a patched tube less reliable than a new tube.

There have been many discussions about this on BF if you want to search. To pre-empt those who may say that tubes are cheap so why go through all the trouble of patching I'll offer that 1) it takes only 10-15 minutes to patch (most of it to find the hole), 2) patches are a fraction of the cost of a new tube, and 3) most importantly, you avoid more mass going into land fills.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-08-20, 08:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

To expand on what I said about small holes not being evident by immersing the tube in water, I did an experiment to see how much pressure a bare tube will contain. The answer is not much at all. As you pump, the tube will expand to equalize pressure so that its internal pressure will never exceed a couple of PSI, if that. In my experiment, I pumped up a ~25mm tube so that its cross section diameter was close to 5 inches. Though it was a bulging, fat monstrosity it only registered about 1 PSI on the gauge. The bottom line is that very small pin holes may require a whole lot more than 1 PSI for the leak to be apparent.
Old 10-08-20, 10:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I've used tubes with many, many patches. I use Rema TipTop patches, which I've found to be reliable. In fact, I see no reason to consider a patched tube less reliable than a new tube.

There have been many discussions about this on BF if you want to search. To pre-empt those who may say that tubes are cheap so why go through all the trouble of patching I'll offer that 1) it takes only 10-15 minutes to patch (most of it to find the hole), 2) patches are a fraction of the cost of a new tube, and 3) most importantly, you avoid more mass going into land fills.
To expand on what I said about small holes not being evident by immersing the tube in water, I did an experiment to see how much pressure a bare tube will contain. The answer is not much at all. As you pump, the tube will expand to equalize pressure so that its internal pressure will never exceed a couple of PSI, if that. In my experiment, I pumped up a ~25mm tube so that its cross section diameter was close to 5 inches. Though it was a bulging, fat monstrosity it only registered about 1 PSI on the gauge. The bottom line is that very small pin holes may require a whole lot more than 1 PSI for the leak to be apparent.
So the above is IMO contradictory and why I don't typically patch.. almost all of my flats have been of the small pinhole variety so actually finding the pinhole in order to patch would take a lot of effort if it's often even possible.
Old 10-08-20, 10:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So the above is IMO contradictory and why I don't typically patch.. almost all of my flats have been of the small pinhole variety so actually finding the pinhole in order to patch would take a lot of effort if it's often even possible.
No, not contradictory. I should have said using the water immersion method - not enough bubbles. I have no trouble finding a pinhole by running the well-inflated tube past my ear.
Old 10-08-20, 10:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
How do you snug it down? It was tightened all the way.
Do you have tube with removable valve core, or not?
You snug down the valve core with the ''valve core snugging down tool".... tool
Old 10-09-20, 02:02 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
You rode over a micro pin.

Usually about 5 or 6, or when you get a hole right next to somewhere you already have a patch.
Old 10-09-20, 02:04 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
No, not contradictory. I should have said using the water immersion method - not enough bubbles. I have no trouble finding a pinhole by running the well-inflated tube past my ear.
Much harder on a very windy day next to a busy road though (when one usually doesn't have a bucket of water either). In that case I put the spare tyre in. I usually like to find the hole though so I know which part of the outer tyre to check especially carefully for the sharp object.
Old 10-09-20, 04:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last times I had pinhole punctures, about a month ago, were from wires. One appeared to be from a worn out steel belted radial tire. The other was stiffer and copper, probably from some discarded electronic doodad or construction site debris.

Both times the holes were so tiny I didn't bother patching on the spot, as I usually do on solo rides when nobody is waiting. If I can find the puncture easily I won't even pull the entire tube and tire off the rim, or sometimes even pull the wheel off the bike. If the puncture is obvious, I'll just fish out the bit of tube that needs a patch, fix it and go on.

But with those pinholes I couldn't see, hear or feel the air due to heavy wind and ambient noise. So I replaced the tubes and patched the pinholes later at home.