Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Giro 20 vs Giro 26

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Giro 20 vs Giro 26

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 12:27 AM
Bert Mc

Bikes: Univega hybrid Deore ('90)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro 20 vs Giro 26

I'm finally getting ready to buy after looking at recumbents about 6 years ago & again recently. Due to test ride availability in my area, I have narrowed it to these two. I would appreciate comments especially from owners of these two, but also from anyone with experience on similar bikes of other brands. I do mostly smooth trail and blacktop, some gravel. Dumped a LWB 20/16 on loose gravel, and figured larger wheel better there. Also overall smoother with larger wheel, & less rolling resistance. But have some concerns about high BB--have heard stories about numb feet (due to poor circulation & pressure?). Also thought I might be more comfortable with a less laid-back riding position, since my riding style is casual and no real concerns about speed (is aerodynamics very significant at 12-15 mph?). Also interested in how the component groups on the two compare--is the higher level of components on the 26 worth weighing in the decision? Not concerned about the difference in cost. And while I'm asking, what about disc brakes vs V brakes--any easier to adjust/maintain, etc? Thanks for any comments. Bert
Old 11-16-07, 02:51 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you searched the Bacchetta and BentRider online forums? There are several threads on this very question.

Disc brakes will stop you, wet or dry, long steep descent or not, and I find them easier to modulate the braking.
Old 11-16-07, 06:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You can easily dump a 26/20 or a 26/26 on loose gravel too, especially with a relatively high-BB like on a Giro of either flavor. After all, bents are steered to balance, and it's hard to steer when your front wheel is sinking in gravel; and if you start falling, it's a loooooong way for your feet to go to the ground. Fat tires will help but the upright will always have an advantage there.

I've heard lots of stories about numb feet, and I think most of them come down to shoes or bike fit, although the bike may be an exacerbating factor. On the other side of the coin, low-BB with upright seating is associated with recumbent butt, so pick your poison! My observation is that being more upright makes balancing easier, FWIW.

Aerodynamics at 12-15 mph matter a little bit, but they're not a huge factor. I only start to notice them at 15-18 mph.

For your riding, I don't think disc brakes are called for. V-Brakes are pretty easy to set up, work well, and are lighter & cheaper than discs. Discs are better for dumping lots of speed in adverse conditions.
Old 11-16-07, 01:42 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So far, I've only had numb feet once on my Giro 20. That was on a 100 mile run. I think that the brakes on it are strong. Actually, my biggest problem is locking them up. So I need to learn to feather the brakes in emergency stops a bit more.
Old 11-16-07, 01:53 PM
Drifty Baker

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro 20 vs. Giro 26

I bought my Giro 26 in early August after trying both LWB and SWB of many different brands. I was afraid to try the high BB type at first. As soon as I got on the Giro 26 it felt right and I knew that was the one to buy. I had the recumbent grin on my face when I got back from the test ride!

I too experienced numb feet at first after riding for 5 miles or so, but by adjusting the seat position I was able to eliminate this by the third ride. In fact for my third ride I rode 51 miles without any discomfort (no pain in the butt, neck, or wrists) like I got with my Raliegh DF.

My bike has disc brakes and I love them. I don't know how I got along without them before. The major problem I have had and still have to a small extent is starting. I had to do the "Fred Flintstone Shuffle" when I first started from a dead stop and still do if I start on a steep incline. It is getting much better and I can start out like a big boy now. Unfortunately, it is getting to be very cold up here in the tundra so I will have to wait until the spring thaw to get back my recumbent grin.

Go biking while it's rising!
Old 11-19-07, 01:41 AM
Bert Mc

Bikes: Univega hybrid Deore ('90)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I'll try the other forums to see if I can find previous discussions. Bert
Old 04-04-08, 05:57 AM
fupduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
{{I too experienced numb feet at first after riding for 5 miles or so, but by adjusting the seat position I was able to eliminate this by the third ride. In fact for my third ride I rode 51 miles without any discomfort (no pain in the butt, neck, or wrists) like I got with my Raliegh DF.}}

I am having trouble with numb feet. What adjustments do you recommend? Move the seat forward and/or more upright? thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-05-08, 02:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Back to the first post:

Originally Posted by Bert Mc
... Dumped a LWB 20/16 on loose gravel, and figured larger wheel better there.
All LWBs are going to have a bit of a problem in loose stuff. The problem is the front wheel doesn't have a lot of weight on it, usually about 35/65, biased to the rear. This means the front wheel will wash out in, for instance, fresh chip-seal in a turn. A larger/fatter front wheel will dig in less if the gravel is deep, though.
Old 04-08-08, 01:30 PM
Drifty Baker

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fupduck,
I started out by putting my heel on the pedal and set the seat so my knee fully extended when the pedal was as far forward as it could go. This was uncofortable for me so I started moving my seat forward until it was more comfortable and the numbness went away.

Drifty Baker
Old 04-08-08, 03:55 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
So far, I've only had numb feet once on my Giro 20. That was on a 100 mile run.
I've had numb feet on my bent a number of times in the 2 months I've had mine.

When it was cold - okay - duh, got some wool socks.

Comfortable - temp wise...... but I was still wearing my work boots on the commutes. When it warmed and I started wearing my bike shoes it stopped the numbness from occurring.