Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Morning Commute Observations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 08:26 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to do my long commute this morning which works out to about 31 miles. Since I have to be to work by about 7:45 I leave a little before 5 so I have time for a cup of coffee midway and to just enjoy the ride. So this mornings observations were thus: (most of this is absolutely useless information, but I had fun with it

1. The first birds to sing are in this order; cardinals, robins and catbirds.

2. Gravel SUCKS (I live on a mile of gravel road and they just put fresh down on some of my road yesterday)

3. Rabbits are suicidal

4. You can definitely scare a barred owl while on the bike. For whatever reason he didn't see/hear me and he about jumped out of his feathers. I think that's the kind of owl he was since in that size around here it's either that or a great horned. I could just see his silhouette since it was just after 5.

5. Great blue herons are most definitely NOT songbirds! I heard what sounded like a sick goose and when I could get a peak at him between the trees that's what it was as he flew to the abandoned gravel pits nearby.

6. Possums are really cool to see when they are carrying their young on their back, although she did growl at me. I was on a trail right then and couldn't get any farther away from her.

7. The bottom of the hills are coldest just AFTER the sun comes up.
Old 07-02-08, 04:39 AM
PAJ3Cub

Bikes: Giant Sedona DX, Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I was in a position to commute 31 miles one way to work! But, being a Clyde (267 down from 327 just 2 years ago...thanks to biking) I'm sweating like a pig just from my 6 mile ride this morning. However, I do understand your observations. I've seen more things riding my bike that I would have ever seen in a car....or maybe even walking. I can't tell you how many times I've said, "Geez, I wish I had brought my camera.".

Although I've never had a rabbit try to commit suicide I have had issues with squirrels. These crazy things are very unpredictable.

Last week on a trail I had a red fox run just a head of me for about 10 minutes all the while looking back at me as he ran forward. Of course, I kept my distance.

Ride safe,
Brian
Old 07-02-08, 01:15 PM
Drifty Baker

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the rabbits I see on my commute hop out of the way. Squirrels however are a different story. This morning there were two squirrels enjoying a smoke after a little nooky and when they noticed me one ran right for my front wheel. I missed him or her by about one inch. Then two blocks further down a little tiny squirrel starts to cross the street in front of me. The little bugger gets about two feet past me and turns around to go back the way he came. I broke hard and barely missed squishing him.

8. It can feel good to ride through a sprinkler that sprays into the street.
Old 07-02-08, 01:45 PM
deez
peaced out

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifty Baker

+1 on that! I've actually ridden on the sidewalk to catch a passing spray in super hot weather
Old 07-02-08, 02:09 PM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YOU RODE ON THE SIDEWALK. Oh the humanity.
Old 07-02-08, 03:40 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not at 5:30 am at 56 degrees! Otherwise that's a great one too.
Old 07-02-08, 04:43 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you have a really nice commute. Mine is pretty much houses and warehouses until I hit the waterfront here. Then I do like to slow down a little and enjoy the sun coming up and painting the mountains on the Olympic Peninsula. Seeing ferries and other boats out on the sound is also nice. Too bad it's just the last mile or so of my ride.