Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Weinmann/Dia Comp lever modification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 12:11 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts

Whenever I take one of these off for cleaning I widen the lever pivots so they wiggle less. Have for many years, never thought to ask if anyone else did it.

And when it was a bike I was going to ride I would take a wedge off the top edges so it would stick out further, the Mafac ones did and they were nicer.

Old 08-18-20, 12:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Whenever I take one of these off for cleaning I widen the lever pivots so they wiggle less. Have for many years, never thought to ask if anyone else did it.

And when it was a bike I was going to ride I would take a wedge off the top edges so it would stick out further, the Mafac ones did and they were nicer.
Yeah, for sure, many vintage levers can use some adjustment in that department. Sometimes they need a little squeeze instead, to loosen them up a bit if they are binding.
Old 08-18-20, 01:56 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Often the "ears" ended up pinched together from the impact of a fall. Had to spread em back.

Removing metal from the front edge of the lever body was done even by the factory in later years to restore lever travel lost to the addition of auxiliary "safety" levers.
Old 08-18-20, 02:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Often the "ears" ended up pinched together from the impact of a fall. Had to spread em back.

Removing metal from the front edge of the lever body was done even by the factory in later years to restore lever travel lost to the addition of auxiliary "safety" levers.
That’s an option, I suppose. Both of my bikes are using these old Weinmann levers, but with the safety levers removed, the protruding bolt ends sawed flush and with Cane Creek hoods.

In a bit of a surprise to me, I find they are more comfortable for my hands and better for my riding style than my Shimano aero levers, especially mounted on old GB rando bars.

Something about the shape of the lever hood mounted at that slight inward angle just works for me. Sometimes I’m pulling hard on a flat stretch and I have this sense that the bars, levers and my arms are a single unit. Never had aero levers disappear like that.

Otto