Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to get mini pump that doubles as ball pump.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 04:51 AM
Jameth

Bikes: 2012 Gary Fisher Simple City 3, 2015 Raleigh Back Alley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I have an Air Tool Pro floor pump that I've owned for about 10 years that's mostly been great. It annoyingly seems incapable of being adapted to inflate a ball, though.

I'm looking at the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive or the Silca Pocket Impero II. How do I know if the chuck will work with a ball valve adapter? Does anyone have experience using one of these as a ball pump?
Old 04-10-24, 05:03 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Any dual head pump will allow you to inflate balls with a needle that is inserted in the Schroeder fitting. Any presta head can be switched (invert rubber washers) but that takes a minute or two.
Likes For Peruano:
Old 04-10-24, 06:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
Any dual head pump will allow you to inflate balls with a needle that is inserted in the Schroeder fitting. Any presta head can be switched (invert rubber washers) but that takes a minute or two.
Almost any pump head, except for my Presta-only Hiro head. But yeah, stick a needle in the Shraeder head and pump away!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-10-24, 07:42 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Any pump that works with schrader valves will double as a "ball pump".
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-10-24, 07:55 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Almost! all presta pumps will work for shrader if you unscrew the collar, remove first rubber grommet, remove 2nd grammet, reinsert both of these but in the reverse position as previously inserted and replace collar. I can't testify about the previously mentioned Hiro pump but its worth a reexamination. My apologies for misspelling shrader, it was early.
Likes For Peruano:
Old 04-10-24, 10:13 AM
Rick

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 278 Posts
The Impero is a presta only. As long as the Threads on the ball inflator are long enough even the clamp on heads on mini pumps should work also.
Likes For Rick:
Old 04-10-24, 01:09 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
Almost! all presta pumps will work for shrader if you unscrew the collar, remove first rubber grommet, remove 2nd grammet, reinsert both of these but in the reverse position as previously inserted and replace collar. I can't testify about the previously mentioned Hiro pump but its worth a reexamination. My apologies for misspelling shrader, it was early.
Que es lucuma?...
Old 04-12-24, 08:47 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by Rick
The Impero is a presta only. As long as the Threads on the ball inflator are long enough even the clamp on heads on mini pumps should work also.
Good to know! I guess I'll have a look at the Tattico, then.
Old 04-12-24, 09:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameth
Good to know! I guess I'll have a look at the Tattico, then.
fwiw the tattico is a very solid pump for a mini........this is from 3 flats worth of experience

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-12-24, 09:45 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by squirtdad
fwiw the tattico is a very solid pump for a mini........this is from 3 flats worth of experience
Thanks for the encouragement! It does look very solid and has an excellent warranty. It just falls short of the Impero in both of those regards, so I initially skipped past it.

Maybe one day soon Silca will offer up an "Ultimate" level mini pump that's Schraeder compatible.
Old 04-12-24, 11:33 PM
Rick

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 278 Posts
Jameth: squirtdad is correct, the Tattico is a good pump. I have one and am using it to keep my grandsons 12" balance bike aired up. I wouldn't count on Silca making an Impero type pump with schrader option. Being presta only is part of what makes that pump so efficient. I have gone to a mini foot pump recently because using the mini pumps on 2"+ wide tires has aggravated Some old injuries.
Likes For Rick:
Old 04-13-24, 01:13 AM
Jameth

Originally Posted by Rick
Jameth: squirtdad is correct, the Tattico is a good pump. I have one and am using it to keep my grandsons 12" balance bike aired up. I wouldn't count on Silca making an Impero type pump with schrader option. Being presta only is part of what makes that pump so efficient. I have gone to a mini foot pump recently because using the mini pumps on 2"+ wide tires has aggravated Some old injuries.
Thanks! The Tattico is what I'll get. I was also considering the Micro Floor Drive, but I can't justify buying something with a 2 year warranty over something with a 7+ year warranty. Even if the foot peg is really enticing...
Old 04-13-24, 05:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,035 Posts
The Tattico is literally a solid choice here. Not the lightest or most compact of mini-pumps (I carry mine on the bottle mount), but it is effective and durable. I have a few other cheap pumps that can inflate balls!
Old 04-13-24, 09:28 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 310 Posts
I wound up with two Tatico pumps. Mine are the now discontinued model with a Bluetooth pressure sensor. The second was a warranty replacement and Silca told me to keep the first one.

They are mechanically solid. So much so that they can safely be used as a collapsible billy and dog repellent. And the pump seems very likely to last my lifetime.

Not magic. You still have to work to get a 25 or 28 tire above 80 PSI, but that is true of any mini pump.
Old 04-13-24, 03:58 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,035 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I wound up with two Tatico pumps. Mine are the now discontinued model with a Bluetooth pressure sensor. The second was a warranty replacement and Silca told me to keep the first one.

They are mechanically solid. So much so that they can safely be used as a collapsible billy and dog repellent. And the pump seems very likely to last my lifetime.

Not magic. You still have to work to get a 25 or 28 tire above 80 PSI, but that is true of any mini pump.
I first bought the Bluetooth version but there was a problem with the chuck that made it always lose pressure on release. Other users reported the same issue, which was due to the pressure sensor. So I returned it and got the standard version, which works fine.
Old 04-13-24, 04:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11002 Post(s)
Liked 7,530 Times in 4,213 Posts
Just buy a $10 ball pump and don't try to force one pump to do both. There just isn't an upside.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-13-24, 10:24 PM
Jameth

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just buy a $10 ball pump and don't try to force one pump to do both. There just isn't an upside.
Why use many pump when few pump do trick? Hm?
Old 04-14-24, 07:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11002 Post(s)
Liked 7,530 Times in 4,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameth
Why use many pump when few pump do trick? Hm?
That is a question which should be constsntly asked when it comes to tools and products in general.
It applies to bikes and is discussed here all the time.

To answer you-
- I do not think 2 pumps equals 'many'. Sure it is more than 1, but it is hardl 'many'.
- Having a separate ball pump means you don't have to remove the mini pump from your bike and potentially forget to put it back.
- A mini pump for normal bie tire filling before ridesas fast or convenient as a florr pump.
Old 04-14-24, 09:08 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 416 Posts
A little off topic, but I with a recent flat on my neighborhood commuter bike (first one since I’ve owned it), I discovered a nice feature with the pump I’d purchased to mount on the bike but hadn’t ever used. It’s just a department store pump. But when I had to use it, I discovered that it’s adjustable in that one setting is for high volume, low pressure…i.e. the beginning of pumping up. Once it’s mostly full with bit of pressure, you switch it over to low volume, high pressure setting to complete the inflation of the desired higher pressure.

Dan