Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrind to Road conversion

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrind to Road conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 05:09 PM
fairymuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a room guys. There's an OP here that wants advice on converting to drops. Not petty bickering and point scoring over pros and cons of drops or flat bars.

Last edited by fairymuff; 08-30-11 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 05:15 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[strike]I'm siding with qmsdc15.[/strike] I'm siding with fairmuff. If you want to fight this out, take it to PM chat.
Old 08-30-11, 05:22 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff
Get a room guys. There's an OP here that wants advice on converting to drops. Not petty bickering and point scoring over pros and cons of drops or flat bars.
I have given Georgel my advice. Have you? Do you have something to offer the OP?
Old 08-30-11, 05:46 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Georgel

Welcome to the hybrid forum, Georgel Excellent question.

That Raleigh is a sweet looking ride, and has some road stuff already. In going drops, probably the first question you need to answer is:

How do you want to shift? Friction or Index? Friction is easy, as you will prolly be stem mount or bar end, and then all of your current components will work swimmingly. Indexed will mean that you need to get integrated shifter / brake levers (sometimes referred to as brifters), which can be a pricey item, and you will need to get 9 speed ones. Friction cares not for number of speeds on your cassette, but indexed shifters must match.

Now everyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Sora and Tiagra have nine speed versions, and I know that Microshift does as well. I have played with the Microshift, and they are not bad. No experience with the others. You will want to get a left shifter set for triple to cover the current crank.

You will need a new front derailleur. The R4403 is road bike crank with mtb throw, designed for flat bar shifters. Anyone's triple road front will work, including SRAM, Shimano, and again Microshift.

Brakes are another potential issue. You definitely need different cables (barrell end vs. round end). Once you have the cables switched, your new levers (be they brake only or shifter / brake / brifter) may have the wrong throw for your brakes (shorter throw than MTB levers). I have heard conflicting stories, and have no experience with this. I do know that ProblemSolvers makes a little cable dohickey to adjust for this if needed.

Good luck. The Bike Mechanics forum may have also been a good spot to post this.
Old 08-30-11, 05:51 PM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
I have given Georgel my advice. Have you? Do you have something to offer the OP?
No I haven't, and no I don't. However, I'd be surprised if the OP (on his/her very first post) was expecting or is helped very much by the responses given. Generally, they haven't been very constructive have they?

Last edited by fairymuff; 08-30-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 05:58 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, I'm the only one who gave good advice, but the others tried.

You are right. I should have started another thread to begin this discussion. My reaction to a remark sent this thread off the rails. Apologies to the OP.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 08-30-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 06:25 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Seriously, it's horrible that the sales geeks steered you away from the bike you wanted. Put a rack on your hybrid, and sell your car. Use the money to buy a nice road bike. Or sell your hybrid and use the money plus a another thousand dollars or so and buy a nice road bike.
IMHO, there is some sage advice here, and some sarcasm. It is the discerning eye that can separate the two.
Old 08-30-11, 06:28 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Although I put it in a humorous (sarcastic?) way, I do believe Georgel should get the road bike he or she wants rather than try to make one out of the hybrid.
Old 08-30-11, 06:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
[strike]I'm siding with qmsdc15.[/strike] I'm siding with fairmuff. If you want to fight this out, take it to PM chat.
And I'm siding with AlphaDogg.

Those who are fighting, stop. This is unfair to the OP. Take it to TH.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-30-11, 06:50 PM
Triode

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on topic -

While I am pretty new here - and my knowledge and experience are limited -

I think the original poster should also consider geometry and whether that lends itself to such a conversion.

FWIW, I bought a hybrid to get into biking and roughly 30 days later bought a road bike. For me, the road bike is a lot more comfortable to ride. I'm 65 and while not in bad shape for my age, I do have some quite minor issues. In my case, I do a whole lot better with hand issues, arm issues, other issues on the road bike. Not to mention it handles better and I am far more stable on it.

Granted, the road bike I went to has a MSRP about 4 times that of the hybrid - but I believe a good bit of my preference is due to my personal physical attributes and the geometry of the road bike.

As for "riding in the drops" I don't believe that is nearly as large an issue as the multiple hand positions and different shifting geometry of "drop bars"
Old 08-30-11, 07:05 PM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
Welcome to my ignore list. It's just not worth trying to talk sense to someone that spews nothing but hate.
You know, you seem far to prone to throwing out the "hater" epithet at even the tiniest provocation. You did it to me (did not appreciate it one bit) and you are doing it again. Once again, one has to wonder where the heck that came from.
Old 08-30-11, 11:08 PM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I´Ve been handing out my point of view in a friendly way, I dont feel guilty in any way. I´ve said it before, I see no point in these comparison between road and hybrid. But many posters have been engaged in that same question before as I recall it.

Just to side with anyone is offering NO RESPONS to OP. Is there experience behind the siding? Thats just scoring another post!
Old 09-28-11, 06:02 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
Ah, come on. Lots of amateur sportives, semi-pro events and everyday people engaging in the sport (all over the globe) prefers to do it with drops. Including pro and amateur CX. Aint no rule anywhere telling them what to do.

I noticed you left out the bit about hand positions...a key point.
It has come to my attention that flat bars are not allowed in UCI sanctioned cyclocross races. So you are wrong again.
Old 09-28-11, 11:12 PM
monkeydentity

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
qmsdc15~ you've been hostile from your first response to this post...it's silly to say otherwise. i know you're not always so, as i've seen other posts. cool it, this isn't politics or religion.

+1 for drop bars in the wind (i have flat bars)
+1 for flat bars along a scenic ride (nice to look around)

Also, to the OP...I'm working on a drop bar conversion now...do your research, my shifters led to deraleurs led to a cassette led to a crank which came with a chain and ultimately led to tools cuz i have no more money for a mechanic!
Old 09-29-11, 05:56 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't fling your poo at me monkey boy.

You don't know what you're talking about. Cool it.

You can set drop bars above saddle height (well you can't without help but someone with a modicum of knowledge and mechanical skill could) and one can set up flat bars 5 inches below saddle height.

Handlebar shape is unrelated to handlebar position, a rider's aerodynamics or his ability to view scenery!
Old 09-29-11, 06:17 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Why are drop bars only used in professional road races when they are required by the rules (mass started events) and never in professional road races where they are not required (time trials)?
Originally Posted by monkeydentity
qmsdc15~ you've been hostile from your first response to this post...
My first response to your post was indeed hostile, but I think you were trying to say that my first response in this thread was hostile. I've quoted my first post in this thread here and I believe it is completely free of hostility and to suggest otherwise would be silly, not to mention deceitful and slanderous. Shame on you. Bad monkey!

Last edited by qmsdc15; 09-29-11 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 08:13 AM
monkeydentity

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the hybrid forum is usually so friendly. it sucks that you're trying to mess that up.
Old 09-29-11, 08:26 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisgeorgel
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2011 Raleigh Cadent ft3 to use to commute. I wanted a road bike but every bike shop I went to suggested going with a hybrid instead. After putting some miles on the raleigh I've decided I'd rather have drop bars and now I need suggestions for going this route. What bars, shifters, etc should I go with?
I just looked the bike up and it appears you already have 10 speed equipment, so all you have to do is buy whatever shimano road brifters are within your budget. As for the bars, that's up to you. I personally use ergonomic bars as opposed to the traditional bars, but that's up to your preference (note your stem / bar size is 31.8) . You don't have to change anything else because your bike has complete road components. To be honest your bike doesn't look anything like a hybrid so I can't work out why Raleigh would classify it as a "Performance Hybrid". There are no MTB parts visible to me, so I'd suggest it's a flat-bar road bike before a hybrid. Anyway, that makes it all the more easier to convert.
Happy shopping.

edit...Nice bike BTW

Last edited by giantcfr1; 09-29-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 09:54 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by monkeydentity
the hybrid forum is usually so friendly. it sucks that you're trying to mess that up.
Agreed. This thread will now be closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*