Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Buy it or build it?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Buy it or build it?

Old 04-22-20, 09:28 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
This is very subjective. If you're careful and buy second hand quality items you can save your $$ but add value to the bike. Maybe finding a nice second hand frame for $200-300 and buying a nice fixie bike locally to swap parts on.

Dura-ace hubs, H+Son rims, Omnium crankset, nitto cockpit bikes pop up fairly often locally and could be negotiated on in price. I'm sure you could find your dream frame while also using second hand quality parts to make a bike that's $1000 for less than $1000. Not to mention a nice fixie bike carries the "hipster" tax and if presented nice will sell for high dollar!
Most parts I have were either discontinued but still high end parts I got cheap or high end low use parts from eBay. I have 3 custom builds that are amazing., probably 2500 to 3k invested. That includes 1x10 Sram gravel bike, A SS Neo Retro road bike and a SS Klein Full suspension MTB.
Old 04-22-20, 09:44 PM
VS3

Bikes: Medici Pro Strada, Aventon Cordoba, Trek Verve2, State Bicycle Pardi Boi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
But would still have to be in the anthracite gray and topaz blue, right?
Don't know how true it is but I read elsewhere that they are coming out with new colors this Summer/Fall. Although that topaz blue is real nice with the correct colored accessories.
Perhaps wabi_damon can confirm? If so, can you say what colors? Thanks!
Old 04-22-20, 10:50 PM
MrAwesome

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Let’s do it lol!
We deserve it. We’ve been good under lockdown and deserve it!
And the funny thing is, I was looking to blow a bunch of money on a fixed gear freestyle build to keep myself busy while locked down.
The Wabi frame would probably be less than the build and the complete would probably not be much more.

But then I would still need a quarantine project...
Just take it apart and put it back together!

I already have a Wabi and I want another one. I can't decide which...
Old 04-23-20, 12:04 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Well, I don't think it was Richard since he left the company about 4 years ago. It was probably me. :-) You are welcome to come by when everything settles down.
That’s the kind of customer interface/service Tony Iro used to provide back when Iro was still around. I wonder if that is part of the reason I am still so attached to my Mark V after all this time. I actually got my bike as a gift but came to admire it so much I bought a bunch of Iro parts for subsequent builds. Tony, the owner of Iro, would invite customers to pick stuff up from his spot on Staten Island if local. Never had an unpleasant transaction/interaction with him. Seemed like a really nice guy.

Anyway, I’m too far to just drop by but am enthused that Wabi seems to conduct business in a similar manner as Iro back in the day.

The topaz blue is nice but I sure wouldn’t mind if purple or orange was one of the new colors coming out summer/fall.
wabi_damon ,Any chance we can get an early confirmation of the new colors?
Old 04-23-20, 01:19 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
That’s the kind of customer interface/service Tony Iro used to provide back when Iro was still around. I wonder if that is part of the reason I am still so attached to my Mark V after all this time. I actually got my bike as a gift but came to admire it so much I bought a bunch of Iro parts for subsequent builds. Tony, the owner of Iro, would invite customers to pick stuff up from his spot on Staten Island if local. Never had an unpleasant transaction/interaction with him. Seemed like a really nice guy.

Anyway, I’m too far to just drop by but am enthused that Wabi seems to conduct business in a similar manner as Iro back in the day.

The topaz blue is nice but I sure wouldn’t mind if purple or orange was one of the new colors coming out summer/fall.
wabi_damon ,Any chance we can get an early confirmation of the new colors?
One of the colors will be a burnt orange so hopefully that works. Purples are hard colors as people either love them or hate them. We always offer custom color options for those folks. Yeah, it is pricy, but you get exactly what you want. Purple has actually been our number one customer color. But, they are all different shades....
Old 04-23-20, 01:23 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Originally Posted by VS3
Don't know how true it is but I read elsewhere that they are coming out with new colors this Summer/Fall. Although that topaz blue is real nice with the correct colored accessories.
Perhaps wabi_damon can confirm? If so, can you say what colors? Thanks!
There will be a burnt orange and another color that is still be finalized. It may be a champagne, but we're looking at it again. Unfortunately, we are out of Topaz Blue (except in 60cm). It's a great color, but it's run its course for now.
Old 04-23-20, 01:25 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Originally Posted by VS3
My apologies. Looking at the email reply it only say Wabi Support. Richard's name has been mentioned so much on blogs and videos that I assumed incorrectly. As a demonstration of my humility, you can send me one to Grand Junction so I can rep it STRONGLY for you and Wabi Cycles.🤔😏🤪🤣👍💯❤
If not, I'll still gladly make the 5 hour drive!
LOL. Appreciate the offer to rep us. It's funny, but we get that kind of offer a lot. Hopefully, you can make it out to Denver at some point. We should be restocked this Summer so you can check out the new Special and Classic colors.
Old 04-23-20, 01:58 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There will be a burnt orange and another color that is still be finalized. It may be a champagne, but we're looking at it again. Unfortunately, we are out of Topaz Blue (except in 60cm). It's a great color, but it's run its course for now.
Burnt Orange and possibly a Champagne. Nice!

I was thinking of a custom color like a Copper or Black Cherry, but I'll wait to see what transpires.
Thanks for the update!
Old 04-23-20, 02:00 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
LOL. Appreciate the offer to rep us. It's funny, but we get that kind of offer a lot. Hopefully, you can make it out to Denver at some point. We should be restocked this Summer so you can check out the new Special and Classic colors.
I'm sure you guys do get hit with such offers. LOL
Can you blame us for asking/trying?! Haha
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Old 04-24-20, 09:24 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I’d need to see them to be absolutely sure but I’m liking burnt orange and champagne too.