Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Medici Pro Strada Value? Worth Restoring?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Medici Pro Strada Value? Worth Restoring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 10:19 AM
VS3

Bikes: Medici Pro Strada, Aventon Cordoba, Trek Verve2, State Bicycle Pardi Boi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
@VS3 the color. Some did have SSC on them. And some even had the same color caps with SSCstamped on them.
They appear to be the Mavic 630 SSC's. Appreciate your time and information!
Old 04-19-20, 09:47 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Vintage 3TTT 80mm quill stem and Campy handlebar caps on their way. I have some new 26.4 chrome bullhorns wrap in white bar tape I'm going to use. Maybe cop another Selle SMP saddle in white too.

Old 04-20-20, 08:50 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
The Scott brakes are trick !!

All the parts are great quality, -- just from all different eras and it looks like all the major manufacturers are represented in one way or another - LOL

Im OCD enough that that would bug me so id have to source a build kit for it asap and either put the rest in my spares pile or sell them off. Personally id spread the rear to 130 and go with early 90's Campy Ergopower 8 speed, either Chorus or Record -- but early Campy is nice too , im just spoiled to brifter shifting
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-20-20, 08:57 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
The Scott brakes are trick !!

All the parts are great quality, -- just from all different eras and it looks like all the major manufacturers are represented in one way or another - LOL

Im OCD enough that that would bug me so id have to source a build kit for it asap and either put the rest in my spares pile or sell them off. Personally id spread the rear to 130 and go with early 90's Campy Ergopower 8 speed, either Chorus or Record -- but early Campy is nice too , im just spoiled to brifter shifting
Thanks! I realize I can get twice what I paid for the bike just by selling the Scott brake calipers alone. Haven't decided if I will but I'm like you and they are bugging me too. Want to definitely go back to Campy SR calipers.
Old 04-21-20, 06:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Medici are undervalued. The brand history does not help. I have one also, earlier model before they added shooting stars to the downtube graphics.
Different lugs too.

If the rear derailleur indexes reliably with that rear mechanism, freewheel and shift levers, terrific. And Exceptional luck.
I think you may have to go to friction mode or get a full system designed for each other. I am not sure where to place the anchor point to build from.
Suntour hubs... if early enough to use a freewheel, then possibly build into a 6 speed DuraAce freewheel, derailleur and use those shifters, Which I think are 6 speed when SIS launched. DuraAce used a different cable pull ratio than other brands.. If, freehub... I would probably go retro-friction, or plain friction shift levers.
Cranks are nice, brakes have a following, but are esoteric.
You know what you need to do for the stem and handlebars.

Alternatively, sell off most of the parts, find a donor bike with Shimano 600 tricolor, have a fat wallet and be happy. Leave the Super Record headset.
Old 04-21-20, 06:29 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Medici are undervalued. The brand history does not help. I have one also, earlier model before they added shooting stars to the downtube graphics.
Different lugs too.

If the rear derailleur indexes reliably with that rear mechanism, freewheel and shift levers, terrific. And Exceptional luck.
I think you may have to go to friction mode or get a full system designed for each other. I am not sure where to place the anchor point to build from.
Suntour hubs... if early enough to use a freewheel, then possibly build into a 6 speed DuraAce freewheel, derailleur and use those shifters, Which I think are 6 speed when SIS launched. DuraAce used a different cable pull ratio than other brands.. If, freehub... I would probably go retro-friction, or plain friction shift levers.
Cranks are nice, brakes have a following, but are esoteric.
You know what you need to do for the stem and handlebars.

Alternatively, sell off most of the parts, find a donor bike with Shimano 600 tricolor, have a fat wallet and be happy. Leave the Super Record headset.
Much appreciated advice! Thank you!
Old 04-21-20, 06:38 PM
repechage

Forgot, this bike MOST probably has an Italian thread bottom bracket. 36x24f
Old 04-21-20, 06:40 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
forgot, this bike most probably has an italian thread bottom bracket. 36x24f
👍👍👍
Old 04-22-20, 12:58 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Fantastic deal for a Medici that is in great condition!
Medici would be up there, desirability-wise with the best bikes from the period if only it did not get all the "shading" from Masi fans who felt slighted by Medici's founders that seem to still happen.
Tange Prestige tubing also used on Medici's like this one, was actually considered a better tubing than the equivalent Columbus tubing, by many builders.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-22-20, 03:40 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Medici would be up there, desirability-wise with the best bikes from the period if only it did not get all the "shading" from Masi fans who felt slighted by Medici's founders that seem to still happen.
Tange Prestige tubing also used on Medici's like this one, was actually considered a better tubing than the equivalent Columbus tubing, by many builders.
Thank you, and I agree. Appreciate your time and information
Old 04-23-20, 08:28 AM
smeyer1116

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still have my Medici-custom built in 1984 in Los Angeles. I spec 'd it with Scott SuperBrakes, because I rode a lot of hills then, and the brakes are awesome! So, original equipment on a custom bike from Medici
Likes For smeyer1116:
Old 04-23-20, 08:39 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smeyer1116
I still have my Medici-custom built in 1984 in Los Angeles. I spec 'd it with Scott SuperBrakes, because I rode a lot of hills then, and the brakes are awesome! So, original equipment on a custom bike from Medici
Thanks for the information and thumbs up on the Scott Superbrake's. I am definitely in a place where I can climb some serious hill (Colorado National Monument, etc.), but still haven't decided if I will keep them because if I do ride some of these Colorado hills and mountains I will want disk brakes.
Old 04-23-20, 08:44 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Absolute steal at $200. Lovely bike and if fit fits you, should ride like a champ. As far as SS or not, I have a couple of converted road bikes and they are among my favorites to ride. One is a Miyata 312 which is fixed and the other is a 1976 Moto Grand Jubile' that has a SS freewheel.

Whatever makes you want to ride it more is what you should do.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-23-20, 08:52 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Absolute steal at $200. Lovely bike and if fit fits you, should ride like a champ. As far as SS or not, I have a couple of converted road bikes and they are among my favorites to ride. One is a Miyata 312 which is fixed and the other is a 1976 Moto Grand Jubile' that has a SS freewheel.

Whatever makes you want to ride it more is what you should do.
Thanks TugaDude! I appreciate the support!
Old 04-23-20, 09:10 AM
TugaDude

The stem is super tall. It is set right about at the minimum-insertion mark. At my age I appreciate not having to bend over quite so much.
Old 04-23-20, 10:02 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

The stem is super tall. It is set right about at the minimum-insertion mark. At my age I appreciate not having to bend over quite so much.
That's what I'll be doing to my 3TTT quill when it arrives, for the same reasons. LOL
I see these riders with slammed stems because it's the "cool" look and thing to do. That won't last when the backs and hands get sore after a while.
Beautiful ride too! I like the color.
Old 04-23-20, 10:18 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by VS3
That's what I'll be doing to my 3TTT quill when it arrives, for the same reasons. LOL
I see these riders with slammed stems because it's the "cool" look and thing to do. That won't last when the backs and hands get sore after a while.
Beautiful ride too! I like the color.
Thanks, I love the color scheme also. The paint is in super good condition. I touched up the lug-lining and eventually will address a couple of scratches, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Most of my riding is on county streets and I need to be able to see. I have a Carlton road bike that I put upright bars on that is awesome. Very comfortable and keeps my head up.
Old 04-23-20, 12:20 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks, I love the color scheme also. The paint is in super good condition. I touched up the lug-lining and eventually will address a couple of scratches, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Most of my riding is on county streets and I need to be able to see. I have a Carlton road bike that I put upright bars on that is awesome. Very comfortable and keeps my head up.
I have two single speeds, and also my Trek Verve2 with uprights and cushiony 45mm tires for when I want to give my back and butt a break. LOL
There is a huge amount of space on this Medici. I know I can get up to a 32mm or 35mm on it for a comfy ride as well. Definitely nothing smaller than 28mm will be hitting the pavement.

I have 25mm on the Aventon, and 28mm on the white State Bicycle. I will be putting 28's on the Aventon too for a little more cushion.

Old 04-23-20, 12:29 PM
TugaDude

Nice rides. Are those the Fairweather Bullmoose bars from Velo Orange on the State? How do you like them?
Old 04-23-20, 12:46 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nice rides. Are those the Fairweather Bullmoose bars from Velo Orange on the State? How do you like them?
Thanks! No, they are Nitto b904 bullmoose directly from Japan, and they are very comfortable.
Old 04-25-20, 03:45 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Chombi1

The Medici history is... well, of opportunistic people trying. Masi was on the road to a re-org anyway, the facility was too big and the production too little.

A bet was made on the market and they lost, the commitment to bring a production facility to the USA was made at would by history be the peak of the bike boom, actual USA production was near 24 months away. . There was also a blind side to different models. The Gran Criterium had already been on the market since 1970. There was no long term strategic plan. Italy Did, the Prestige to probably to not create confusion in Europe, then the Volumetrica, a good idea and a savvy exploitation of oversized tubes.

Actually, I am impressed that Medici made it work for as long as they did. Eventually not being able to keep the name, still survived with Simonetti and Simo Cycles, when the welder was forced to a multiyear departure... (prison can do that) the game was over.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-06-20, 11:10 PM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Some more new parts for the bike.
3TTT vintage flutted seatpost to match the stem.
Selle saddle to match the chrome bullhorn handlebars wrapped in white tape that I have.
Red and white pedals to match the bike of course.

Old 05-07-20, 03:59 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by VS3
Some more new parts for the bike.
3TTT vintage flutted seatpost to match the stem.
Selle saddle to match the chrome bullhorn handlebars wrapped in white tape that I have.
Red and white pedals to match the bike of course.

looks like you are on your way to getting it ready to ride. It will be nice to see it when you have it set up. The weather is getting better around here in SoCal so now is the time. Joe
Old 05-07-20, 06:04 AM
VS3

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
looks like you are on your way to getting it ready to ride. It will be nice to see it when you have it set up. The weather is getting better around here in SoCal so now is the time. Joe
Slowly but surely. Still have to get the brake lines reattached, and a new set of tires. Something wider like 28's or even 32's. I want it a little more comfy. I will be sure to post pics when done.
Old 05-07-20, 07:08 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I am a fan of 28's . I have a set of 28c Bontrager AW 2 I like on my Windsor Pro. I am running 25c on my Medici , some Bontrager Race Lite tires that were "take offs" that I purchased for $20 from a guy who didn't want them. They are awesome , but I would prefer 28's , but for the price , I figured they would be good. I don't take my Medici on gravel or dirt. The Panaracer tires are good too, they offer some nice comfy tires that are reasonably priced. I have found them to be easy to mount and seat. You are going to run clinchers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.